NVR Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 16, 2017

2.0
Paul C. Saville

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • NVR is a great company to work for with a strong company culture that is focused on providing exceptional customer service (in 6 reviews)

• Positive mortgage lending work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be a lot better (in 11 reviews)

• Settlement Services upper management is a clown show (in 6 reviews)

"Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Wadsworth, OH
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Wadsworth, OH

I worked at NVR (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary, hours, convenient location, flexible schedule, casual atmosphere

Cons

Weak management. Intimidated to speak up to higher management. Not responsive to new ideas. Large pipeline and no training for new employees, expects other processors to answer questions all day long. Loan officers need trained better to do their job.

Advice to Management

Take management classes.
    Help out and work overtime to assist other employees.

"Production Worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dayton, OH

I have been working at NVR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable pay. You never work overtime. This is also a con.

Cons

Poor culture, Some what of a sweat shop environment. Management likes to tell you what you did wrong. Not too many "thanks for a good job handed out".

Advice to Management

Get rid of the militaristic mentally.

"Great if you don't have any career aspirations"

Current Employee - Asd in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Asd in Frederick, MD

I have been working at NVR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security
    Great starting salary
    Steady work and hours
    No mandatory overtime
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Employee Morale
    "Clicky" environment
    Jumping through hoops for advancement
    Company does not promote comradery among coworkers
    No common courtesy among most employees

Advice to Management

Quit bragging like you actually do the work and give credit where credit is due. A 1.5% raise is pathetic and not much incentive for working here.

"Way to much corporate involvement."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Brentwood, TN

I worked at NVR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The absolute only pro tip this company is a higher than average salary.

Cons

It is a culture of every man for himself and no one is a team player. It is a culture of step on or be stepped on. This is the case throughout the whole structuring of the company. Instead of having one company working together you have multiple factions working against each other.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately management is well aware of the culture and promotes what they call a healthy competition between departments.

"Processor"

Former Employee - Loan Processor in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Loan Processor in Fairfax, VA

I worked at NVR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Average pay. Comraderie among employees.

Cons

Management positions are filled from within, which would be a "pro", except none have training in management. And it's not provided. Hence, they are horrible at leading, motivating, or managing people. The only focus is meeting the profitability goals.

Advice to Management

It's the people doing the work that make the profits. Train managers to manage better.

"Beware"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Dayton, OH

Pros

Upper management was friendly, and the tour of the facility was informative. The hours of operation and new employee.

Cons

Interviewed with manager and offered an AP position, but the manager should have alerted her staff that I was African American. The manager was absent on my first day, and when I walked in the door on day one, the employee came around the corner and was so thrown off by me to the point that her bright smile dropped and face took on a crimson hue. Within an hour of training, the young woman decided that I was too confused and could not handle the details of the job. I have worked in Accounts Payable for over 15 years with higher education backing. She gave me invoices to match with purchase orders, and ostracized me for omitting one or two check marks on line items, and not placing a date/coding stamp in a particular place on invoices. On day two, she decided the only thing I was capable of was filing. On day three, every invoice I was giving to code returned with her statement of error of the check marks. On day four, she said in her own words that I was not able to handle the job. I was placed at NRV through a staffing agency called Callos, and when I left that Friday, I knew I would get a call from Callos telling me not to return. Another temporary who had been there a week prior to me was giving full instructions and patience of acclimation to a new job. This employee was white, and allowed to make errors more severe in nature of a simple check mark or placement of a coding stamp. On day five, which was on a Monday, I was told to just watch my trainer key in invoices and not ask to questions because it was too distracting. On day six, I was giving 2 to 3 hundred invoices that had piled up over a couple of weeks with the instruction to match/code. This took hours to complete, and once the checking/coding was completed, the person returned over half of the invoices back claiming drastic errors. I checked the invoices for errors and found none to my training, but I was told that I also needed to calculate the discounts and was supplied with a tiny calculator to do so. I received a call from Callos, and was told that I was not a good fit for the company by upper management. When I pried for more information, Callos stated that my job performance was the reason.

Advice to Management

Office staff needs training in cultural diversity of the work place.

"Management was unorganized"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Franklin, TN

I worked at NVR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New and updated floor plans that made sense.

Cons

Too many chefs in the kitchen. Then they insisted on that sleazy canned sales approach over and over.

Advice to Management

Teach people to sell but let them have their own individuality too. Enough with the video shops!

8. "Good Pay, little to no growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Drafter in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Drafter in Frederick, MD

Pros

Laid back work environment. nice location

Cons

Salary increases are terrible, there is no growth. Management is not very good. No need for middle management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who do the work.

9. "LO at NVR Mortgage"

Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Frederick, MD

Pros

Discounts if buying a home. Great insight in to construction practices, processes and pitfalls. Lots of talented people, lots of people in general and lots of energy at first. Nice offices, nice staff, nice bosses - lots of nice. Allowed to be independent, follow true best course and encouraged to be honest, straightforward and ethical.

Cons

But... pay stinks comparably, way over-worked, high stress, good ideas quashed if it might upset the status quo or the builder, only way to earn enough money to live was to fight with fellow employees for loans, or find ways to get loans done even if they maybe should not get done. Builder ruled the world, even though they poisened it in the first place by forcing things through rather than stepping back and considering the best possible outcome. Only cared about their desired outcome.

Advice to Management

Laying off your most talented people might be the way to end debates, questions and discussions within the offices when bad ideas were put in to practice, but it is destroys customer service and leaves you with the workers who just do the job and don't go the extra mile. Originality and capability should be rewarded, not punished.

10. "Typical Builder Environment"

Pros

Gaining experience in the industry.

Cons

Lack of stability and opportunity for advancement unless you've been there forever or are connected to the higher ups.