NVR "upper management" Reviews | Glassdoor

NVR Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Feb 26, 2019

3.1
NVR President and CEO Paul C. Saville (no image)
Paul C. Saville
Pros
Cons
  • "Restrictive accounting system and deadlines make for a tough work life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "However, if we don't meet the demands of the shareholders everyone outside of upper management suffers(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews

"Great Company to begin a new career"

Building Products

I have been working at NVR

Pros

-Excellent training program and the latitude to gain experience -Upper Management support to enable subordinates

Cons

-at times unwilling to invest in infrastructure to ensure latest and best building equipment is available

NVR2016-05-31

"ASD is Mediocre at best"

Current Employee - Architectural Designer in Frederick, MD

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent starting salary and amount of vacation time is nice.

Cons

CEO out of touch with employees. Everything is numbers driven. Year after year we have record years. However, if we don't meet the demands of the shareholders everyone outside of upper management suffers. Its capitalism at its finest. Good luck trying to get a decent raise, the paltry 1%-2% annual raise is mandated by board members. Paul Saville was kind enough to give himself a 16% raise in 2018. I guess thats where the new corporate tax rate went...

Advice to Management

Give employees more incentive to work here. There are many people that work very hard and don't get the recognition they deserve.

NVR2019-02-26

"Director of Construction"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at NVR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay. They compensate their employees well.

Cons

Everything else. Upper management does not care about anything except "share holder value", which is another way of saying compensation for C-level execs, mainly CEO and Chairman.

Advice to Management

You have no clue and would not listen anyway. Anyone that leaves the organization regains their smile and dignity. I have never seen such a happy group of ex-employees.

NVR2017-03-18

"Good company - terrible management"

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

fairly decent benefits, adequate compensation

Cons

Settlement Services upper management is a clown show. VP brings in too many friends in management positions. The best long term employees are jumping ship because of the current management. Chaos is the norm. Constant staffing shortages. No support from HR Department whatsoever.

NVR2016-09-12

"By far the worst company in America to work for."

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at NVR full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is better then being unemployed and starving to death, barely..also, 0 SICK TIME

Cons

Referral dependent company for the purpose of hiring employees who do not want to make the referrer look poorly, yet enabling employer to treat the employee like dirt-until you punch back. Incompetent, lazy upper management starting with CEO who trains and requires his management teams to harass, publicly degrade and micro-manage employees into failure. Operational, functional and cultural nightmare which reflects in turnover and poor results. Underwriters condition for 50% of items that no reasonable/legitimate lender would require. Pay is low relative to field, factor in your alcohol bills that are necessary to cope and it is not worth it. This Disaster would be out of Business within 2 weeks if it were not for Ryan Homes charity and hand-off loans. Never worked at a place where EVERYONE was so miserable and the employees want the place to fail on purpose even if it means being laid off.

Advice to Management

Managers are just doing what they are told by CEO, which is to terrorize employees. I suggest voicing your concerns to HR then treating them like they treat you, file a lawsuit if you get terminated.

NVR2015-12-09

"Beware"

Accounts Payable in Dayton, OH

I worked at NVR

Pros

Upper management was friendly, and the tour of the facility was informative. The hours of operation and new employee.

Cons

Interviewed with manager and offered an AP position, but the manager should have alerted her staff that I was African American. The manager was absent on my first day, and when I walked in the door on day one, the employee came around the corner and was so thrown off by me to the point that her bright smile dropped and face took on a crimson hue. Within an hour of training, the young woman decided that I was too confused and could not handle the details of the job. I have worked in Accounts Payable for over 15 years with higher education backing. She gave me invoices to match with purchase orders, and ostracized me for omitting one or two check marks on line items, and not placing a date/coding stamp in a particular place on invoices. On day two, she decided the only thing I was capable of was filing. On day three, every invoice I was giving to code returned with her statement of error of the check marks. On day four, she said in her own words that I was not able to handle the job. I was placed at NRV through a staffing agency called Callos, and when I left that Friday, I knew I would get a call from Callos telling me not to return. Another temporary who had been there a week prior to me was giving full instructions and patience of acclimation to a new job. This employee was white, and allowed to make errors more severe in nature of a simple check mark or placement of a coding stamp. On day five, which was on a Monday, I was told to just watch my trainer key in invoices and not ask to questions because it was too distracting. On day six, I was giving 2 to 3 hundred invoices that had piled up over a couple of weeks with the instruction to match/code. This took hours to complete, and once the checking/coding was completed, the person returned over half of the invoices back claiming drastic errors. I checked the invoices for errors and found none to my training, but I was told that I also needed to calculate the discounts and was supplied with a tiny calculator to do so. I received a call from Callos, and was told that I was not a good fit for the company by upper management. When I pried for more information, Callos stated that my job performance was the reason.

Advice to Management

Office staff needs training in cultural diversity of the work place.

NVR2015-05-22

"Settlement Services"

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, opportunities for advancement

Cons

Upper management has deteriorated since CoB stepped down several years ago. New management brought in has been less than stellar and disappointing to those that have been there for years. No real leadership.

NVR2015-04-15

"Need to update the process"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Associate

I have been working at NVR full-time

Pros

Good pay, benefits, great upper management with good guidance and leadership. They want their employees to succeed.

Cons

tough work/life balance, hard to communicate with home office, too many people in the upper management pipeline. Sometimes the nature of the business is tough and demanding, but you have to be ready to devote majority of your time to the job.

NVR2013-09-19