NVR "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

NVR Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 7, 2019

3.1
NVR President and CEO Paul C. Saville (no image)
Paul C. Saville
Pros
Cons
  • "Restrictive accounting system and deadlines make for a tough work life balance(in 18 reviews)

• "However, if we don't meet the demands of the shareholders everyone outside of upper management suffers(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to build a career"

Current Employee - Loan Processor in Dagsboro, DE

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Higher salary than any other local businesses. Great training and opportunities for advancement. Great office environment (I know this is highly location specific but my office is incredible.) I look forward to going to work every single day. Sick time is flexible and compassionately handled, as is medical leave. The company is hugely focused on retention and even if you struggle, will work on improvements instead of dropping the axe. The collaborative coaching process replacing dreaded performance reviews has been fantastic. Work life balance is respected even though the job can be intense at times.

Cons

Monthly pay is absolutely inhumane. I know most people have two income households but for those of us who don’t have a spouse as an equal earner, it can be brutal. I am not overly impressed with the health plan offered - the monthly expense and out of pocket costs are a strain. I personally wish there were more local growth opportunities to strive towards as a loan processor other than an eventual upgrade to loan officer - underwriting, closing, etc. are all centralized out of state. Obviously not a problem if you’re able to relocate but I feel like years down the line my options will be limited locally.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work. The continual focus on employee training and retention are encouraging and show that NVR really cares about employee happiness and growth well beyond the lip service most companies pay to these concepts.

NVR2019-09-22
  2. "Great people, restrictive system"

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Reston, VA

I worked at NVR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The team of people I worked with wanted me to be the best version of myself, and were always willing to help me grow personally and professionally.

Cons

Restrictive accounting system and deadlines make for a tough work life balance.

NVR2019-11-07
  3. "Best Company Yet"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, Family Friendly, Work/Life Balance

Cons

There are not really any cons. This company is a great place to work.

NVR2019-09-18
  4. "Not your average 9-5"

Former Employee - Mortgage Processing Supervisor in Frederick, MD

I worked at NVR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Challenging , competitive , growth leadership development

Cons

Work life balance takes oneself time management skills

NVR2019-08-07
  5. "Great company with huge potential for learning"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

On the job education is inevitable Hard work is rewarded greatly

Cons

work/life balance is a problem There will always be something you need to do

Advice to Management

With more focus cost containing, more eyes are required to keep quality high.

NVR2018-10-26
  6. "Competitive Pay, Unclear Ascension"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at NVR full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, good people, decent benefits, 3 weeks vacation starting, work life balance.

Cons

Being unable to see a clear path in the organization. Long interview process. Very conservative actions unless it directly impacts production

Advice to Management

Setting some benchmarks to hit over 2 or 3 years to position someone for a new role.

NVR2018-04-04

"Manager"

I worked at NVR full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and attractive offices.

Cons

Management was constantly changing the guidelines. Terrible training. No support and understaffed. Talking heads who talk the talk but don't walk the walk. Work/life balance was a joke. (They literally joked about it in training.) left the the entire industry due to the way this employer treated me.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees by being honest. Offer support.

NVR2018-03-09
  8. "Worked there in the past"

Former Employee - Representative in Richland, SC

I worked at NVR full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of talented people work there.

Cons

The work/life balance and company outlook.

NVR2018-02-01

"Stay Away"

I worked at NVR full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent amount of decision-making power, fair health benefits, average pay, ability to network.

Cons

Unprofessional management with self-centered motives, near zero company-supported training, lack of critical IT systems to support day-to-day business, ZERO work-life balance, penny-pinching views that make travel and supporting the company very difficult, executive culture that allows for hostile conditions and disrespect towards subordinates, an HR department that is clueless and seemingly powerless to assist employees, yearly reviews that are pointless (essentially everyone gets the same increase but you have to spend hours completing a self-review). This company runs their schedules on Excel! Where's MS Project?! Nobody seems to understand the value of shared drives or SharePoint sites either, which makes version control of documents a nightmare. There is a consistent mentality of 'not my problem', as people spend more time pointing fingers than collaborating as a team. Most employees are not concerned about the shared customer (home owner), but more their individual departments, regardless of the trail of destruction that leaves. Don't trust anyone here with your word... not hourly employees or executive management... back-stabbing is part of this company's culture.

Advice to Management

Drop the "good old boys" mentality and allowing only those you're friends with to succeed. Stop putting people in management roles just because they have technical experience. Not everyone is cut out to be a manager and that has resulted in many talented people leaving the company. Also, if you hire someone in at a higher level, utilize their talents, don't undermine them, allow them to grow, and quit the micro-management. Listen to employee concerns and step into the 21st century. Not believing in working from home is a sure way to scare away great young talent. Allow for tuition reimbursement and invest in your employees. Stop being a 'career black hole'. The longer you spend with NVR in their antiquated ways of doing business, the less marketable you'll be to the civilized and up-to-date workforce.

NVR2017-10-20
  10. "Gret Place to Work"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at NVR full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to work and great people!

Cons

It takes awhile to figure out your work/life balance with this job.

NVR2017-08-27