NXTevent Reviews | Glassdoor

Ally O’Connor

"CEO, Founder"

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer, Founder in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer, Founder in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent (More than 10 years)

Pros

I own the company, so I think it's a great place to work. I love the excitement of each day, as well as the opportunity to do impactful work that requires all sides of the brain. I enjoy working with teams of people. I am profoundly honored to work in this industry.

I recommend this choice of work for anyone who is passionate about connecting people, is organized, and creative. Above all, on my team, you will be asked to think differently about what you do, and to design, create, implement and execute Extraordinary Events with Remarkable Results.

Cons

It's not for everyone! If you are not interested in working for a small, creative firm, it's not for you. If you are looking for 9-5, it's not for you. If you need a daily routine, it's not for you. If you don't want to work 10 weekends a year, it's not for you.Things change on the fly, every day, all day long.

Advice to Management

Be the best you can be. Do your best, and then do more.

2. "Great place to Intern if Your in the Event, Hospitality or Entertainment Industry!"

Former Intern - Event Apprentice in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Event Apprentice in Boston, MA

I worked at NXTevent as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a great choice for my senior year internship. I learned a lot, and I worked with a fun team of coworkers, including other interns. My work including helping manage administration in the front office, researching information for proposals, annual marketing items, and on project events. I worked in the field from load in to load out and I was included in the master staffing plan. I learned a lot about what to expect in a work environment as well as from the job. It sems like the company is growing and I just learned they opened an office in Seattle.

Cons

I had a far way to travel and now I know I have to have a car. I wish I was compensated for travel expenses if I can't be compensated for the internship. But, I must say everyone was very helpful in getting me to and from where I needed to be.

3. "Event Guru and Storyteller"

Current Contractor - Event Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Event Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been a contractor at NXTevent for a long time. I enjoy this company, the team and the leadership, who does a colossal job of winning business and making / keeping clients happy. Each year I spend with them, and it's been over a decade, I learn more and more. As well, I really enjoy the independence they allow me to craft the event story, for their clients. I work with a set of project management tools that I have helped develop and contributed to over the years, and I enjoy the quality of the work and the clients.

Cons

As a contractor, I have to balance my work load, and there are a lot of last minute programs that are pretty big, that come in under 30 days. It's tough to balance where I live with the travel and with the programs. But thats life in the 21st century.

Advice to Management

It's a high stakes game. Hire people who understand the enormous responsibility we have in working with our clients. I feel that some of the people who come to NXTevent are not professionally mature, or have the I want it now mentality vs. the commitment it takes to become a master in a niche industry.

4. "Sales and Account Executive"

Current Employee - Sales and Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales and Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at NXTevent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked at NXTevent for quite a long time and I find it generally to be a creative, exciting work environment. There is never a dull moment or same day. My position consists of working with incoming leads, as well as proposal writing, research and pricing. I handle all aspects of the account from the time it comes in to the time the final bill goes out. I am enjoying the work and now I am enjoying repeat clients! As well, my compensation has increased substantially after the first 8 months which was a learning curve and an investment on my part.

Cons

The biggest challenge I had coming in was the learning curve. Destination and Event Planning firms require a lot of knowledge and detail in the industry, above and beyond the experience I have in catering. I also expected long hours, weekend work, but I did not expect it to be in the months that I thought they would be. The business has peak periods from April through November, so you have to plan carefully.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company and offering career opportunities!

5. "Good exposure to industry resources contacts."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at NXTevent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience with exposure to a wide variety of industry resources and high profile clients and events

Cons

High learning curve for new employees and work expectations overall are quite high.
    High amount of paperwork and data entry processing required for each event and on a daily basis

Advice to Management

Turnover rate is high; long hours and hard work is required to be successful

"It was a learning experience of how a small company works."

Current Employee - Event Apprentice in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Event Apprentice in Boston, MA

Pros

-Forming connections within the industry
    -Variety of work done

Cons

- Bad communication between staff
    - Micro managing
    - Small Company, long hours due to lack of staff

7. "Part-time worker for many years."

I have been working at NXTevent part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a small company, so everyone has a key part to keep the company running. There is always an opportunity for me to work, no matter what my situation is. There are incentives for promotions and also the employees and interns get to experience amazing venues.

Cons

There is a lot of turnover in the company, more due to the fact that people have trouble adjusting to the schedule and curve needed to be successful in a small DMC.

"If you can, stay away from NXTevent"

I worked at NXTevent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros working here beside exploring beautiful venues and networking within the event industry.

Cons

1- Micro Micro Micro Managing. And by micro-managing I mean someone breathing on your neck ALL the time. Every morning there is a company check in in which every employer has to tell (and repeat since it is every morning) what he/she is working on. There is also a weekly company meeting and a weekly one-to-one. You keep repeating yourself like a robot. If you ask for some help back it will be denied.

2- They will tell you in the interview that you will receive plenty of training. Well that's not true, unless you count few hours in the conference room going through some Power Point slides about the company and the industry. Nobody is available if you need help and the management will tell you that you need to figure it out.

3- Even though I met some nice people in the company (few interns, the office manager, couple of colleagues) the core team is represented by the Owner, the GM and the Event Director. Everyone else come and go, nobody stays at NXTevent for more than a year, there is a huge turnover because after few months employees realize that the environment is truly toxic.

4- The owner will call you or text you on a Saturday or a Sunday regarding work. That's just unacceptable.

5- The salary is so low that is not even funny

Advice to Management

You need to change so many things

9. "Great place to start"

Pros

Small team, all hands on deck

Cons

Challenging to take time off, very long hours, low salary

"Happy to have learned from NXTevent what I DO NOT want from a career, management, or overall work experience."

Pros

-Met good contacts within the events industry
    -Learned a lot about events in general
    -Enjoyed working in South Boston
    - was able to figure out what i did not want in a company and let me to find a healthy, stable working environment

Cons

-Terrible communication with the company
    -Was barely allowed to use "vacation" days, let alone take a day off
    - No training, guidance, communication
    -Lack of stability within the company
    -EXTREMELY high turnover
    -Only a handful of people work there, which is mostly unpaid interns..
    - Not enough employees, so lots of overtime (unpaid)
    - Bonuses were rarely paid out
    - Lots of gossip and negativity within the working environment
    - not a clear description of what my "position" actually was- had to wear several "hats" due to people constantly quitting and not enough staff