NYC Teaching Fellows Teaching Fellow Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 7 reviews

1.6
NYC Teaching Fellows CEO Anthony Finney
Anthony Finney
  1. "Great opportunity -Pathway to Teaching Career"

Former Employee - NYC Teaching Fellow

I worked at NYC Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can start working at a teacher from the start, don't have to wait to finish Education Masters

Cons

Hi stress because of teaching and grad school workloads combined

NYC Teaching Fellows2018-10-23

"Wish I read these reviews before I applied"

Current Contractor - Summer Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at NYC Teaching Fellows for less than a year

Pros

A path into DOE, relationship with others in your cohort, the kids, subsidized masters

Cons

Where do I start...”coaches” that aren’t really coaches; just there to collect a check, a challenge trying to balance coursework and teaching, hardly time to reflect on what you learned in skill building

Advice to Management

Train your coaches to follow the same principles we as Fellows are expected to follow

NYC Teaching Fellows2019-08-09

"Not a well run program"

Current Employee - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at NYC Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good intentions. Nice attention to cultural needs of students.

Cons

They treat grown adults like the children. Lots of pointless work, most of which has no practical use. Paychecks are always late. Little to no transparency. They always hold back information until the last minute. SBS not geared toward specific strategies needed to engage your area.

Advice to Management

Quit treating LIs and Fellows like kids!

NYC Teaching Fellows2018-07-11

"Teaching Fellow Reject"

Former Intern - NYC Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I worked at NYC Teaching Fellows

Pros

If you succeed in the program you are fast tracked into a job with not only health care, benefits but a career where you get to have positive impacts and kids live ... where you can do home and feel like you are having a positive impact on the world. I decided I wanted to this program because I love kids and want to help them grow up into smart, confident, adults of tomororw. I have so many friends from this... program who I love and wish the best for all of them. I think some really A-type personalities, people with previous in school jobs such as paraprofessional or substitute teachers can really thrive under these conditions I hope are really successful and make NYC a better place for students to learn and grow.

Cons

PST is Horrible. Having grad school after wards makes your life insane and unlivable. The hours of PST are insane. I wake up at 4:30 am would leave my house at 6 am, go to Harlem til 3 go to grad school. Get home at 8 pm. And lesson plan and print until like 1 pm and I'm crying. They said this isn't the case because you can work during your 6 hour training period but without the internet ( the internet... doesn't let you go to educational websites of even the department of ed website)or a printer. There the at you training place is pretty useless for preparing lesson plans..... that gets done at 1 am live a crazy person. You're so busy and tired I don't think you can really create high-quality work you're expected to create daily. I easily printed 60 pages every single day. They tell you that you can get work done there which isn't true at all. No websites work. We weren't; able to able to use printers in the school even though the work was meant to for classes within the school. During student teaching, you're basically free labor who are provided zero resources. They provide a very meager stipend in comparison to the hours and hours of labor( when you; you providing and its especially bad considering there all kind so the expenses you have to have printers, just to provide our self-sponsored materials these schools such as laminators, papers, etc etc.) Seriously I am grateful for the stipend, but it's not going to get you through this without other kinds of savings or serious support. My Unethical Evaluation Experience. ever ever And 4 observers come in which isn't normal.... They stand behind the students, freaking then out and distracting them and they complain they worksheet is too rigorous for students at their level-- even though I have a portfolio of these kids working at this level work weeks. The teacher stepped in saying I was right about the level of difficulty of work. Then we had a wrap-up meeting about it and I was the craziest thing ever. They were straight up telling me all this stuff that wasn't true at all. First, my "coach" said she had an issue with my lesson plan but then had to ask for one, because she had neither read or seen it. She said the lesson plan was unaligned which is tricky because they are special needs kids but still have to use the common curriculum standards for the grade they are supposed to be in. That's been the standard for the entire program this Summer, but I had even double checked.to make sure it was a good fit for my lesson the day before with my teacher. I'm positive if I had done otherwise I would have would have been marked down for that. I had the worksheet they say the kid never got, he had wrong his name and the date on it. They also said all kinds of things I did wrong-- but I had these documents demonstrating that it wasn't the case. They literally said well it's too late don't we don't care and they're not going to do anything. Like isn't a coach supposed to care and help you succeed in a program, not to be incredibly uncaring and apathetic that their scoring is fair or accurate? Honestly, I really think they didn't like me in the program or saw me struggling in the beginning, but then my evaluations we're getting way better and they wanted to make the date and eval grades match what they thought of me. Its seriously got a cult mentality going on within that whole program and if you don't fit into that mold it's clear you're not going to get fair grading in this program. I would even go as far as to say that go out of their way to sabotage people they don't like. My lesson plan was ready, it was polished and beautiful. The grades they gave me were the worst I had gotten all Summer, which makes zero sense. Also, my coach went on telling my co-teacher that her kids aren't at the levels she saying they are, which is an interesting/ unprofessional outsider perspective to share with someone who has worked with the same kids for 4 years. A meeting with a rude apathetic "coach" who clearly doesn't give a hoot Honestly, I am OK with not passing the fellows. I am still upset that I worked myself to death only to be disrespected and unfairly evaluated. At the same time, I really do care and want to be a teacher. A huge majority of the people in Fellows are former substitute teachers and paraprofessionals. They have a huge of amount of in-class experience that makes a 2 month training period and then poof you're a teacher less insane. I left the fellows to program upset about how it ended but also completely unprepared to be a teacher this fall. A lot of my friends in the program are superstars and I know they will do great... I think I need a little more time and want to go more traditional route to teaching. I have a feeling that if I entered a school with so little training and field experience I would fail and shortchange my students.

Advice to Management

Seriously treat your employees like grown-ups and with respect. I feel like you treat us like we're lucky to be there and you could just boot us out at any time. But the people in the program have made huge sacrifices of their jobs, family lives, general well being to take a leap of faith with you. Mine didn't work out and I am more upset about how I've been treated by your coaches. Having to sit across from... someone who is complaining about lesson plans they haven't looked at, and doesn't care that I have evidence and teacher testimony that proves the things they used to give my evaluation a grade that made the past two months of me working so hard and doing everything you guys say for absolutely nothing. Is a disgrace. I might have struggled early in the program. But I have worked too hard not to deserve a fair evaluation. That bothers me way more than the fact that I've more of less wasted my entire Summer working 16 hour days for below minimum wage. Also providing basic necessities for the work we are supposed to have "ample time to get all of our lesson plans done at PST LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" to have the internet that allows access to the kinds of sites to create lesson plans or even go on the DOE website along with a printer so people can actually get work done at a reasonable time and. Printers, computers, and wifi are pretty standard in any place where you have a large group people who need to get work done. It's small and will make people's lives less stressful and productive.

NYC Teaching Fellows2017-08-20

"Make sure you know how much you will have to pay!"

Former Employee - Summer Teaching Fellow

I worked at NYC Teaching Fellows full-time for less than a year

Pros

Quick route into teaching if you don't mind being told what to do with no choices.

Cons

Badly managed, inefficient. They tell you it's a free Masters but it isn't. You will have to pay at least 13,000 for the Masters and all the certification tests and you are shackled to their restrictions about where you can and can't work.

NYC Teaching Fellows2017-01-15

"Beware before you make any commitment to this job"

Teaching Fellow

I worked at NYC Teaching Fellows

Pros

If there is only one 'pro' I can think of, it would be that the fellowship offers a faster alternative route to obtaining a job with the NYC DOE.

Cons

Where do I begin? To start, the fellowship's model of education is more like boot camp. They are not interested in producing educators; they want drill sergeants. You will spend many hours per day role-playing scenarios with your colleagues and coaches about managing student behavior. Your coaches will read to you from a power point for three hours straight, and they will model 'effective classroom teaching' by... doing things like rewarding you with candy for giving the right answer, as if you are a kid and demanding that you sit upfront and direct your attention to the instructor at all times, among other things. Second, the education classes that you take at your university are useless. You will not learn any academic content at all; research papers, for example, are extended personal reflection essays about anecdotal experiences. Your professor's lecture will consist of reading from a power-point projector verbatim. To make would matters worse, they have people who have no background in mathematics, for example, teach math regents classes to students who failed their regents. To say that is unethical would be an understatement. Finally, fellowship predetermines that 15% of fellows need "professional improvement", and they dismiss this 15% from the program at the last day of training. Even if you had already accepted a job offer within the DOE, the fellowship will demand that you withdraw from your job offer. This is wholly unacceptable, especially when they accept people from all walk of life and with various circumstances to commit to weekdays that begin at 7am and end at 7pm.

Advice to Management

You need to be more mindful of, and responsive to, your fellows needs outside of the brutal 7-7 workday.

NYC Teaching Fellows2016-08-21

"Dictatorship"

Current Contractor - Teaching Fellow in New York, NY

I have been working at NYC Teaching Fellows for less than a year

Pros

Learned some teaching skills based on Teach Like a Champion, which is treated like a bible.

Cons

Extremely punitive and threatening program that seeks to foster fear rather than growth.

Advice to Management

Please replace them. They don't care about the development of new teachers but are largely committed to their pride.

NYC Teaching Fellows2016-08-05