Cover image for NYC Teaching Fellows

NYC Teaching Fellows

Is this your company?

NYC Teaching Fellows

Add a Review

NYC Teaching Fellows Employee Reviews about "fellows"

Updated Nov 22, 2021

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,937

976 Comments

Teachers

200.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/teachers/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=NYC Teaching Fellows~401211
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Meeting awesome people who are driven to become successful teachers(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "fellows"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

This program is only for you if you are dedicated to serving NYC public schools.

Mar 31, 2019 - Special Education Teacher in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Majority of tuition subsidized *Become an employee of the DOE with full benefits while completing masters. *Pre service training (PST) will prepare you for the expectations of the DOE *The support system of current Fellows and alums *No commitment to stay with the DOE once you complete the program *You are placed for PST training- but you select your school placement in the DOE (apply, interview, and decide if you accept or decline a position) allowing you to find your best fit

Cons

*Balancing the demands of full time teaching and completing a masters program *Onsite training (on the job training with a class) for PST is demanding- you have to lose yourself and be whatever the coach wants you to be (ADVICE: Do whatever it takes to pass.Once you complete PST you chose the school that fits you and allows you to develop your teacher self) *The stipend is low during training

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Overfunded, chaotic and unprofessional. No oversight.

Nov 22, 2021 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

You want to teach but you have no experience or qualifications? Maybe you have had another successful career and now you want to give back? Maybe you are looking for a purposeful but challenging career, but can't afford to take time off to go back to school? Or maybe you're looking for a government job that pays more than a lazy fool like you could ever earn in the private sector, where after a few years, you will be latched on and no amount of subpar work will ever get you fired? The Teaching Fellows could be just right for you!

Cons

During training, you will be placed in a public school with a coach. Most coaches are competent and care about their students. Most want you to succeed and will give you opportunities to become a good teacher, if you have it in you. But not all. Some coaches just want the pay bump and will treat you like a lackey. You will probably see and hear teachers do awful things in the classroom. If you ask NYCTF discreetly for advice on dealing with this while you're a Fellow, a note will be made in your file. It will be held against you. If you want to make a difference, hold your nose until you get your Internship Certificate. The staff is not respectful or professional in its dealings with you. They don't like to give their full names or communicate outside the NYCTF form. This is so they can delete all communication that makes them look bad or shows that they broke the law (I asked if it was legal for my coach to remove special ed students with from her classroom during superintendent observations - it is not, and they did nothing) . Screenshot everything. If you are in a toxic situation where your students are being bullied by a union-backed teacher, they will hang you out to dry. The partially subsidized Masters degree dangled in front of you is not the bargain it appears. CUNY is in the process of reevaluating its educational qualifications. That Masters could soon be worthless.

1 person found this review helpful
  3. Join the NYC Teaching Fellows team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

NYC Teaching Fellows, a means to an end.

Nov 30, 2019 - Fellow
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free grad school, you'll make friends, a community of former fellows who often hire other fellows.

Cons

Coursework is not at all applicable to the job, PST is just to weed out those who don't want to be teachers, the first summer is basically pointless because you'll find out that everything they told you is either a lie or not applicable for the job, sketchy liaisons within the universities, no support after the first few months.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

There are other opportunities to teaching. Teacher Residency

Aug 13, 2019 - Teaching in Brooklyn, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

I met great kids. I enjoyed teaching them and I met some great summer fellows

Cons

it's a 6 week very nasty SBS session. 800 every 2 weeks. it can barely pay your bills. Lots of power plays. As to a Scripted lesson plan, I got that the day before we ended this session. I wish I knew that teacher residencies existed and that there are other ways to become a teacher in NYC. Before you enter a teaching program, substitute teach for at least a year as a lot of the stuff you do as a NYCTF, it does not come naturally. The teacher coaches who observe you , have issues. Don't answer the surveys or if you do. only say positive stuff. they hold stuff against you. Please note. NYCTF should be the last program you chose to be a teacher, Try Teacher residencies first. Please note that nyctf dismisses 15%of thier fellows. You will find out about 1 to 2 weeks after even if you have accepted a new job which you wont be able to take. If you believe you might fall in that 15%. Start applying to the residencies early... like in June, so that you can start in September no matter what., or you will gave to wait until December.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee

Teaching Fellow

Feb 9, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

You can learn a lot if you apply yourself, go in with an open mind, and desire to work in a NYC school that likely is underserved. Since my fellowship, I have had experience subbing in independent and private schools, and I have found that many of the techniques (especially with respect to behavior management) are really helpful in the classroom, and in fact, you may emerge having a better idea of how to engage students than those who do other paths to teaching. You also join a cohort of educators, and it is wonderful to develop a supportive peer network (and trust me, you will need it!) I learned an immense amount from the Head Instructor who taught us the NYC fellows curriculum in the summer.

Cons

There are MANY cons to the program, unfortunately. If you really want to develop as a teacher, you won't be able to do so reflectively, applying your masters' degree coursework in the classroom. You are just trying to stay alive. Being a first year teacher is challenging enough as it is, but to try to do so while taking graduate courses is extremely taxing. Also, the schools that hire fellows are often very, very limited in funds, can be hostile work environments, lacking in administrative support, etc. Many of us are drawn to the program because we truly desire to help make education in the city more equitable, but in my experience, the obstacles present at the hiring schools can be insurmountable. I think there ARE many teachers who emerge from the program with a job at a school that they love, so be smart as you do your job search. Other cons: you don't get to pick the area in which you receive your certification, because the selection process is based upon school need. Also, the pre-service training (which is the summer school intensive training) does not necessarily prepare you for your classroom in the fall. For instance, all of the literacy lesson planning you learn through the Fellows curriculum is actually quite good. However, if you are doing elementary education, or high-school science, it is essentially useless. Therefore, you start your job in the fall without any practical /applicable experience, and can't know how much you like it and/or how well you will do. Also, there is often lack of coordination between the DOE and your graduate school from an administration standpoint, so at times you have to "jump through hoops" to get some of the backend work completely as far as your certification requirements are concerned. Ultimately, if you can afford to go to graduate school and work part/full time in another capacity, you will have a much better outcome.

11 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Demanding and Rewarding Experience

May 27, 2016 - Fellow in Bronx, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing colleagues Good Training Elite Feel I was part of cohort 6, and was extremely pleased when I was made my offer. The other Fellows in my cohort were very bright. My school received 6 fellows, and collectively we were able to make a difference in the school. Test scores went up, especially in mathematics. Great program for a liberal arts graduate looking for a fast track into classroom. I made many life long friends with people from my summer training cohort.

Cons

Teaching in an inner city school is demanding. The induction and training is excellent, but results in the classroom will depend largely on the individual and school placement. Teaching full time, and going to school at night was difficult, and left little downtime.

2 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Not too bad. Good starting pay if your just out of college. Great opportunity, and looks great on your resume.

Sep 19, 2013 - NYC Teaching Felliow
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to get paid while pursuing your master's Getting most of your tuition paid by the DOE Positvie energy from other Fellows

Cons

Some people have an unrealistic expectation(s) for what they expect from program Some non-Fellows will look down on the program Retention is not too great in the program

8 people found this review helpful