NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Financial Aid"

Current Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Counselor in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a paycheck. The coworkers are wonderful. Benefits are nice. You get really good training. They just reassessed the salaries so it's fair.

Cons

They treat you like you're just a cog. management ignores your needs. bad attitudes in the work place. You will not be treated like a human being. They don't care about your work/life balance

Advice to Management

Stop not being available for your counselors and punishing them for speaking out. You don't need to meet with yourselves 24/7. listen and make official meetings with counselors

"Would not recommend unless you need a job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) (More than 5 years)

Pros

Acceptable Pay/Benefits/Perks. Annual raises due to union contract.

Cons

Often treated like a machine. Upper management does not have insight to direct service staff responsibilities.

3. "Student Worker at NYU"

Current Employee - Student Worker in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Student Worker in New York, NY

Pros

You get in touch with a lot of students and great faculty members.
    The location is good.

Cons

Some administrators are very narrow-minded, with no vision of innovation.
    The salary is really low, compared to what we pay, as students.

Advice to Management

My direct supervisor's excellent: she knows how to give feedback, even when she has to tell something that one didn't do correctly.

4. "Postdoc"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it is in NY, the campus is in the center, you get relatively cheap housing.

Cons

Very poorly paid, and no rights at all. You are at the mercy of your supervisor. If it is a nice human being you may only have to work 24/7, if not you may have to handle other unexpected behaviour that are not controlled by NYU. I truly believe that NYU should check on how badly the postdocs and phd students are treated in some labs..

Advice to Management

Form your professors, do real annual evaluation, read and take into consideration the review and complains of people. Being tenured should not permit any kind of excess behaviour.

5. "Had a Traumatic Experience There"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lateral growth: some caring individuals: well-organized: pays well

Cons

it's a huge corporation, and it's run like one: Human Resources are institution-focused, not people-focused: your tenure there is dependent on who you work for: very hierarchical structure

Advice to Management

I don't really know what advice to give. I feel nothing I say will make a difference. You're doing well financially, have great divisions for students, and treat your faculty well. I just personally had a very traumatic and abrupt end to my time there, which felt unwarranted, but this had more to do with my supervisor than the University. Sadly, supervisors reflect the University, and if you receive an incompetent supervisor, you're going to have a negative view of the school. I'm not here to justify anything. All I know is a University I once loved and loved working for I now can barely walk by. It even gets triggered by the color purple. I'm not a frustrated former employee, if that is what will help you dismiss this review. I'm a caring and conscientious individual who truly felt he was treated unfairly. And because of the size and power of the structure, felt powerless to have a say. Perhaps this is exactly what you want to hear, because it means NYU is more immune to legal actions, etc. But don't mistake yourselves: you're a corporation. And you act like one. Just don't pretend you're not.

6. "Great Co-workers/ Horrific Management"

Former Employee - Messenger/Transporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Messenger/Transporter in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Okay pay/ great co-workers / room to grow with the proper title/ prestigious stepping stone in the medical field

Cons

Management is disrespectful and lacks leadership qualities/ fails to understand the flaws with there management teams.

Advice to Management

Allow for 360 reviews where the employees could review the management. This will cause the managers that lack the basic skills to lead their staff to be removed from the equation giving the facility a far better standard of care.

"Exploitative"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well kept facilities, well organized, some support for professional development, other staff and students are great

Cons

University pays adjunct and grad students very low, exploit students who are researchers, does not honor unions

Advice to Management

Negotiate with graduate student union and raise salaries

8. "idiosyncratic"

Former Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY

Pros

there was ok healthcare and overhead structure. there were good hours and an excellent location in terms of commuting.

Cons

there were no meals included nor any other such perks, such as year end bonus or the like. some of my coworkers were not nice people.

Advice to Management

the morale with middle management is not great because upper management is not perceived as valuing the community in new york nor in abu dhabi.

9. "International Students Exploited"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will make contacts in the NYU administration that can help you academically.

Cons

They will exploit and take advantage of overqualified international students to fill $10/hr positions. They know they are getting a bargain. International students are left with one option in their first 2 semesters, work on campus, or don't work. Unfortunately there are only a few jobs that pay more than $10 per hour. International students, prepare to work for someone who has less education and experience than you. Demeaning experience.

10. "Mediocre at best"

Current Employee - Doctoral Student in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Doctoral Student in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Living in New York City is nice, and location is pretty much the best thing going for NYU. Compensation is adequate, benefits are fine.

Cons

The buracracy at NYU is insane, this place is entirely red tape. Was promised a five hundred dollar health care premium refund, but only received $8. NYU did nothing to intervene on behalf of all PhD students in this predicament.
    Education is put second to profit.

Showing 44 of 1,543 reviews