NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

1. "Postdoc"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

it is in NY, the campus is in the center, you get relatively cheap housing.

Cons

Very poorly paid, and no rights at all. You are at the mercy of your supervisor. If it is a nice human being you may only have to work 24/7, if not you may have to handle other unexpected behaviour that are not controlled by NYU. I truly believe that NYU should check on how badly the postdocs and phd students are treated in some labs..

Advice to Management

Form your professors, do real annual evaluation, read and take into consideration the review and complains of people. Being tenured should not permit any kind of excess behaviour.

2. "Had a Traumatic Experience There"

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lateral growth: some caring individuals: well-organized: pays well

Cons

it's a huge corporation, and it's run like one: Human Resources are institution-focused, not people-focused: your tenure there is dependent on who you work for: very hierarchical structure

Advice to Management

I don't really know what advice to give. I feel nothing I say will make a difference. You're doing well financially, have great divisions for students, and treat your faculty well. I just personally had a very traumatic and abrupt end to my time there, which felt unwarranted, but this had more to do with my supervisor than the University. Sadly, supervisors reflect the University, and if you receive an incompetent supervisor, you're going to have a negative view of the school. I'm not here to justify anything. All I know is a University I once loved and loved working for I now can barely walk by. It even gets triggered by the color purple. I'm not a frustrated former employee, if that is what will help you dismiss this review. I'm a caring and conscientious individual who truly felt he was treated unfairly. And because of the size and power of the structure, felt powerless to have a say. Perhaps this is exactly what you want to hear, because it means NYU is more immune to legal actions, etc. But don't mistake yourselves: you're a corporation. And you act like one. Just don't pretend you're not.

3. "Great Co-workers/ Horrific Management"

Former Employee - Messenger/Transporter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Messenger/Transporter in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Okay pay/ great co-workers / room to grow with the proper title/ prestigious stepping stone in the medical field

Cons

Management is disrespectful and lacks leadership qualities/ fails to understand the flaws with there management teams.

Advice to Management

Allow for 360 reviews where the employees could review the management. This will cause the managers that lack the basic skills to lead their staff to be removed from the equation giving the facility a far better standard of care.

"Exploitative"

Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Adjunct Professor in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well kept facilities, well organized, some support for professional development, other staff and students are great

Cons

University pays adjunct and grad students very low, exploit students who are researchers, does not honor unions

Advice to Management

Negotiate with graduate student union and raise salaries

6. "idiosyncratic"

Former Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Junior Research Scientist in New York, NY

Pros

there was ok healthcare and overhead structure. there were good hours and an excellent location in terms of commuting.

Cons

there were no meals included nor any other such perks, such as year end bonus or the like. some of my coworkers were not nice people.

Advice to Management

the morale with middle management is not great because upper management is not perceived as valuing the community in new york nor in abu dhabi.

7. "International Students Exploited"

Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will make contacts in the NYU administration that can help you academically.

Cons

They will exploit and take advantage of overqualified international students to fill $10/hr positions. They know they are getting a bargain. International students are left with one option in their first 2 semesters, work on campus, or don't work. Unfortunately there are only a few jobs that pay more than $10 per hour. International students, prepare to work for someone who has less education and experience than you. Demeaning experience.

8. "Mediocre at best"

Current Employee - Doctoral Student in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Doctoral Student in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Living in New York City is nice, and location is pretty much the best thing going for NYU. Compensation is adequate, benefits are fine.

Cons

The buracracy at NYU is insane, this place is entirely red tape. Was promised a five hundred dollar health care premium refund, but only received $8. NYU did nothing to intervene on behalf of all PhD students in this predicament.
    Education is put second to profit.

9. "Still prevails the white man at the top leadership positions."

Current Employee - Budget Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Budget Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined NYU for the tuition remission.

Cons

People have big egos, lots of politics, passive/aggressive behavior, bullying from the top down. Many people working there has biases against many minorities groups. Everything happens under cover nothing is overt.

Advice to Management

Act like grownups and professionals, high school is over! Be open minded, continuing education should be mandatory in higher education. People without interest to keep abreast with the new developments are the reason some of the departments are stagnant. Students are conditioned "not to make waves," there is a big lag on technology at NYU.

10. "Good for people who wants studying for less and pay less"

Current Employee - Senior Position in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Position in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

20% tuition if you are admitted to one of school. 2 to 1 matching in retirement fund up to 5%. Job stability.

Cons

Many people complain that it is harder if you are am employee or family member of an employee. No advancement. Chaotic management. Wasteful spending.

Advice to Management

Assign right job to right people. Invest more on hard working employee instead of paying two and even three to contractor doing less than own employee since they only do one job. Have better planning. This eliminate wasteful spending. The author eel sorry for tuition paying students.

"Okay benefits, but everything else is terrible."

Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location was nice, and there were some good benefits like tuition reimbursement. I worked at Stern, and they tried to have semi-regular happy hours for employees, which was a nice way to show appreciation.

Cons

The offices at Stern were filled with mice and rather depressing overall. The leadership is terrible. Everything is very political, which means a lot of dishonesty and a lack of transparency. Everyone treats the faculty like gods, but nobody seems to be too concerned about students and whether or not they are getting their money's worth. The leadership is very greedy and rely on NYU's name to do the heavy lifting. Also, I had come from a SUNY school outside of the city, and they wanted to pay me less than I was making for the same role.

Advice to Management

Realize that NYU isn't as great as you think it is, and many other universities are much more impressive and provide better experiences for a much lower price tag.

Showing 41 of 1,328 reviews