NYU (New York University) Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Updated September 11, 2017

New York, NY

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Highly Decentralized - Your Experience May Vary"

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits especially for retirement.

Cons

Lack of transparency of management and executives; very hierarchy-oriented; depending on the immediate supervisor, there may be limited opportunity to grow, expand skills, or potential for promotion; no longer a place for long-term security at the administrative level. Again, depending on the department, the environment can be indifferent and sometimes toxic.

Advice to Management

I wish you would change from this highly politicized workplace and return to the days when you actually cared about all admins, faculty, and clerical staff.

"Solid and satisfying"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with young people is fulfilling and inspiring. Every job or department is different, so if you want to work with students, check that the job you apply for will have student contact.
    Good benefits, generous time off, most jobs are really 9-5.

Cons

Sometimes there can be politics, or bitter or disorganized faculty, or entitled students. Also, faculty are often treated better than staff, which can be frustrating. But that can happen at any university. These issues are only a small percentage of the whole, but research the department carefully before you decide.

Advice to Management

Respecting staff on the same level as faculty will help you keep them longer and inspire better job performance.

3. "Graduate Teaching Adjunct"

Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Adjunct in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Teaching Adjunct in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good management and teaching environment. Great pay!

Cons

Long recruiting timeline... Other than that, everything is perfect!

4. "Teaching Assistant"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is good!

Cons

I found none of the Cons!

5. "Part-time on campus work at NYU is a friendly environment"

Current Employee - Media Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Media Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My part-time job working in the NYU Student Center is enjoyable. I work with friendly people and there is plenty of free time to do other work.

Cons

My main concern about working at NYU is that the pay is not very competitive, and you cannot get as many hours as you would like.

Advice to Management

Maintain a friendly and welcoming environment for all student workers.

"School of Professional Studies (SPS) specifically"

Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand name on your resume
    Some interesting things happening across the University that you can tangentially be a part of
    Decent pay relative to other educational institutions

Cons

The School of Professional Studies itself is one of the worst managed organizations I've ever seen.
    Terrible morale, randomly fluctuating goals, constant turnover of employees, faculty, and staff due to the difficult environment
    Some members of upper management are borderline cruel in their public treatment of employees (not necessarily faculty) [and not "I'm a special snowflake" kind of things. I mean out-of-the-blue, jaw-droppingly insulting in the middle of large meetings, apparently for no reason other than spite kind of thing]
    I left to another university as soon as I was able to (for much less salary) and haven't looked back.

Advice to Management

Lose the upper management at SPS. Currently, it is a small cabal of marginally competent autocrats and a cadre of "yes" men and women, who hamper all attempts to improve the quality of the education for their students. It's a shame.

7. "Adjunct"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly qualified students (mainly), work in the financial capital, connections & networks

Cons

Adjunct role not fully appreciated nor secured by contracts. Who carries the responsibility in dispute with students?

8. "Work Study Experience"

Former Employee - Monographs Student Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Monographs Student Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors are helpful and their guidance allows you to learn the job well. They are open to helping you whenever you need so don't feel shy to ask because you want the job to be done properly the first time so they don't have to fix your mistakes later. Greg Ferguson is also great, and he takes the time to learn all the work study students' names.

Cons

If you are a student, make sure to let them know of shift conflicts when it is around exam time, need to let them ahead of time.

9. "Really comfortable, secure job"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at NYU (New York University) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good pay
    -good benefits
    -unionized
    -not stressful
    -great people
    -GREAT tuition remission benefits

Cons

-not a flexible position and not a lot of ability to move up or change wages due to union agreement

10. "Student Technology Centers"

Former Employee - Student Worker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Student Worker in New York, NY

I worked at NYU (New York University) part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job functions as a customer service/ front desk duty at NYU computer labs. It requires minimal technical knowledge on software. The work mainly involves around directing student/ school staffs of where each equipment locates. Also, the student workers are responsible with stocking printing papers, and occasional cleaning of the lab.

This is an ideal place to work as a student looking for on-campus employment. The schedules are very flexible with morning, afternoon, and closing shifts options. The facility is very well maintained, and very friendly environment. You are allowed to do homework or personal work while at work, as long as you are available when a student needs help.

Cons

Although you are working in the Technology Centers, you will learn almost zero experiences with any software or IT related trouble shootings. It is a customer service job at the front desk: directing students, helping with lending out office equipment such as headphones, and fixing printers.

Do not expect it as a job that can boost your debugging or developing skills :P

Advice to Management

hire more professional managers. A lot of the managers are very nice. But when I was working there, one of the managers is often working on personal projects, and she is unavailable to be found when needing of help. Also sometimes, managers look clearly bringing personal emotions and issues to work.

Showing 646 of 1,502 reviews