NYX Cosmetics Makeup Artist Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
  1. "No room for growth."

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Makeup Artist

I worked at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% off discount Good hours at the beginning only

Cons

After 3-4 months since grand opening, hours went down to 5-10 a week. No one can live off of that. Low wage for working for a beauty brand. I took a pay cut to be there because I was promised that there was room to move up. There is only room to move up if management likes you. It's pure nepotism. If the GM does not like you, it's not happening. I asked about being promoted because a new store is opening soon and I was told because I was about to start a full time position that I couldn't be recommended. Even though recently someone far newer was promoted that works more hours in a different job. Also was never selected to do makeup for events for the brand because they usually booked freelancers and 2 artists (part of the management team) to do it. It felt like management had no faith or trust in the artists they hired. Lack of artistry. They only just started an application service. There was not a lot of training. They don't do skill drills when the day is a slow.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your associates. Give them opportunity to showcase their artistry when invited to do makeup at events. Ask for more training. And with the new service, all associates should be given a raise to match their competitors that do the same thing. There should be better communication between corporate and management as well. Actually hire managers and associates that have cosmetic retail experience or are professional artists.

NYX Cosmetics2017-10-13

"Overworked"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Love helping the customers they always mad the job fun. Was able to practice my artistry at the beauty bar. In addition loved working in the beauty industry.

Cons

To much favoritism no chance to grow overworked and underpaid and no hours had us doing janitorial work. No product knowledge or training and rarely received gratis which was strange because the beauty bloggers received way more than the actual employees. Didn't feel appreciated at this company. Felt like slave not a employee.

Advice to Management

Give other people recognition don't just promote someone just because you like them the most. Everybody deserved an equal chance. Also to cooperate show your employees that you appreciate them instead of constantly looking down on them.

NYX Cosmetics2017-03-27
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Fun in the beginning, but very disappointing in the end. I had the best time in the beginning."

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

•50% off the products, that's was a major plus! •Networking with other makeup artist. Sorry that's my only pro, this place was the worst

Cons

•lazy management •part time hours really mean 10 hours in a week •last minute changes to scheduling •no opportunity in moving up to higher positions •pay is beyond horrible, as a makeup artist I expect a higher pay •you never get to do a full face makeup with clients •most days = stock, organizing, cleaning & less makeup applications or focus demos.

Advice to Management

PLEASE communicate with your associates or key holders. PLEASE know how to work or run the floor. Stop sitting in the back all day. If an associate asks "what should I use to clean the bathroom?" & your response is "I don't know, I've never cleaned the bathroom before" I expect every management position to learn how to do anything. PLEASE don't stare your associates down if he/she is doing a full face makeup on a client, we're making artists we should be able to. PLEASE learn how to say sorry for any miscommunications.

NYX Cosmetics2017-02-08

"Misleading Job Description"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at NYX Cosmetics full-time for less than a year

Pros

- 50 % off makeup products - Kind, sweet co-workers - Ability to work with makeup in a retail setting

Cons

- Job title was "part time" but scheduled 38-45 hours a week, for 3 months. - Key holders are young, irresponsible, usually sit in back not on the floor w/ clients. Do not lead by example whatsoever.

Advice to Management

- do not say "part time" if it will not be so. I was told it would change over time but I spent 3 months here, and it never changed. I loved the job very much and I was sad to go, but the refusal to work with my (pre-approved) schedule was ridiculous :(

NYX Cosmetics2016-06-15
  6. "Nyx pro makeup"

Current Employee - Retail Makeup Artist in Birmingham, England

I have been working at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of great opportunities to go to events and progress

Cons

Stock management and basic pay

NYX Cosmetics2019-09-01
  7. "Makeup Artist"

Current Employee - Makeup Artist

I have been working at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great co-workers that become your actual friends - Is a great place to express your artistry as a makeup artist since NYX is all about being your true self and creativity - Is a fast growing brand with great quality products and affordable price which really attract customers

Cons

- low hour rate and unstable hour given - high sales goal for low traffic stores (too high expectation) - popular items are always out of stock

NYX Cosmetics2018-06-26
  8. "Makeup Artist"

Current Employee - Makeup Artist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing product range Friendly co-workers Friendly working environment

Cons

Short in hours Popular items are always out of stock

NYX Cosmetics2018-04-20

"Great to start then comes the 💩!"

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in London, England

I worked at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great to make your days go fast. Busy fast paced counter good wage if you've never worked at a counter before.

Cons

Overhyped. No training whatsoever and they expect you to be active online and mark you down on your reviews for how much you post in their Facebook group, and how active you are on social media in general. There isn't any counter plans whatsoever or implemented through the company so it's pretty much a free for all and they imploy incompetent people who can't manage teams or know basic management jargon. No pointers are taken on board to the people above and you don't even get as much as a goodbye when you leave. High unrealistic targets for the lack of stock and expect you to sell whatever stock they have even if the customer doesn't need it. They don't keep to what's stipulated in contacts and belittle you for asking HR or any questions in general. Growth promised at the interview stages and future positions are talked about but no way to actually grow within the company. Any questions about growth or offering to work in free time for free are dismissed. They have their favourites and push for those to exceed. No discounts for their own makeup and expect you to be able to afford new products. Barely any gratis.

Advice to Management

Please look after your staff. Your sales staff sign your pay checks at the end of the day. Implement training as half your staff couldn't even apply a clear primer let alone a basic nude eyeshadow! Take any illness within staff seriously and deal with any criticism straight away without ignoring it.

NYX Cosmetics2017-04-11