NYX Cosmetics "full face" Reviews | Glassdoor

NYX Cosmetics Employee Reviews about "full face"

Updated Nov 9, 2017

2.9
Pros
  • "You get 50% off for employee discount(in 7 reviews)

• "50% employee discount, gratis on the newest products, fun environment(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "They discourage full face applications and spending too much time doing makeup applications which was hugely disappointing for me(in 4 reviews)

• "There isnt much of a work life balance(in 3 reviews)

Reviews about "full face"

Return to all Reviews

"Don't waste your time"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at NYX Cosmetics part-time for less than a year

Pros

Networking with other artists 50% discount That's really it sorry I can't think of anything else. More cons than pros here.

Cons

More cleaning than actually doing makeup Full face is discouraged Store is always a mess Expected to clean the entire store every night...we are makeup artists not janitors Store is constantly trashed Expected to sell and meet numbers but no commission Shipment sends 50 of the same product that isn't selling instead of sending the products we actually need Hours are cut if you don't hit your goal and you can... end up with a 2 hour shift No coverage on the floor Management sits in the back while you are drowning on the floor alone

Advice to Management

Help out on the floor once in a while Lead by example we don't want to work if we see you in the back sitting on your phone texting Don't yell at us for not hitting goal and threatening away our shifts Order proper cleaning supplies. Hard to clean a dirty floor with only one swifter pad for the whole month.

NYX Cosmetics2017-09-22

"A bit of a mess"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than a year

Pros

There's great product discounts off all L'Oréal brands! It's a fairly fun environment getting to play with makeup and talking to customers all day. Customers are very appreciative of your help most of the time. You get paid sick hours. Most of the time they can try to work around your schedule for school or a trip if you are part time.

Cons

Extremely poor communication with management and especially corporate. Poor training that is way over due and doesn't cover things like sick pay, leave of absence, the "housework" type things. It mainly only covers product and how to talk to customers which leaves employees in the dark about their benefits. The schedule is a mess. It was actually unlawful how late they would give us our weekly schedule. This left... no room for work life balance and ultimately makes people call out constantly leaving those who are working way over worked. They could never seem to get it to you more than a couple of days in advance. I have worked multiple retail jobs and it has never been as big of an issue as it is here. There is very little opportunity for growth despite what everyone is told when they are hired here. They are not really an artistry based brand. They discourage full face applications and spending too much time doing makeup applications which was hugely disappointing for me. They focus more on social media stars and a "being your own artist" type of thing. Management stays in the back room most of the time.

Advice to Management

I would definitely incorporate makeup applications in store. I feel like this is a missed opportunity to get repeat customers and increase sales. Fix the scheduling issue. You need to give a two week schedule, it is the law. Lighten up on the return policy. This leaves a lot of angry customers who swear they will never come back. The customer service here isn't always the best because it's easier to tell people... no most of the time then fix their issue and make them leave happy.

NYX Cosmetics2017-07-01
  3. "Fun in the beginning, but very disappointing in the end. I had the best time in the beginning."

Former Employee - Makeup Artist in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at NYX Cosmetics part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

•50% off the products, that's was a major plus! •Networking with other makeup artist. Sorry that's my only pro, this place was the worst

Cons

•lazy management •part time hours really mean 10 hours in a week •last minute changes to scheduling •no opportunity in moving up to higher positions •pay is beyond horrible, as a makeup artist I expect a higher pay •you never get to do a full face makeup with clients •most days = stock, organizing, cleaning & less makeup applications or focus demos.

Advice to Management

PLEASE communicate with your associates or key holders. PLEASE know how to work or run the floor. Stop sitting in the back all day. If an associate asks "what should I use to clean the bathroom?" & your response is "I don't know, I've never cleaned the bathroom before" I expect every management position to learn how to do anything. PLEASE don't stare your associates down if he/she is doing a full face makeup on a... client, we're making artists we should be able to. PLEASE learn how to say sorry for any miscommunications.

NYX Cosmetics2017-02-08
  4. "Growing Pains for NYX Canada"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Toronto, ON

I worked at NYX Cosmetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Freedom to build your team and prioritize in store - Felt like your voice was heard by upper management - Competitive salary, benefits and profit sharing - 4 Weeks vacation - High degree of freedom of expression, few limitations on dress code and personal style

Cons

- Must wear full face of makeup daily (can be hard on skin and eyes when working 40+ hours/week) - Major issues with supply chain and production unable to meet demand - Consistent lack of clarity for launches. No solid deadlines or dates provided - Support from HR difficult to attain, especially due to primarily French speaking head office.

Advice to Management

Push through the growing pains, listen to concerns from management and provide clarity as to how positive progression is coming. Solid synchronized launch dates for new product and supply chain management across the board would go a long way to alleviate stress. Create a focus on maintaining a healthy work life balance to avoid burning out your team long term.

NYX Cosmetics2017-11-09