Naked Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Troy Kelley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great team, Great work, Great momentum"

I have been working at Naked Communications full-time

Pros

Wow! What a difference half a year makes. The management team here in Naked New York has really stepped up their efforts to improve all aspects of the company and it really shows.
    First and foremost, we're winning new business. Not only small one-off projects but really interesting, large-scale work for well known clients. These new projects are substantial and require the collaboration of all the different disciplines in the office.
    Speaking of the team, we now have a tech department. This means that we can finally build and deploy projects. We're now including development of web and mobile applications as part of our scope. That's really exciting that we can actually make things that come out of Naked NY. There has even been talks of VR and in-store projects.
    It's not only me who's excited about all the changes. I can tell that the team here is as well. The energy is there and everyone is pumped up to put out great work . Furthermore, we've been hiring very knowledgeable folks to build up the team.
    All the pieces seem to be falling into place and I'm really looking forward to see this positive momentum continue. Naked NY is now a company I actually get excited telling my family and friends that I work for.

Cons

The physical office space in New York still needs a little work. All the areas need a bit of a facelift. Good news is that there has been talks of improving this soon as well.

2. "Getting better and better"

I have been working at Naked Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's my second year at Naked US and the past 3 months have been the best ever. We are getting to work on cool projects. There are new cool people. We have finally started to have a culture. I hope our latest leadership stays around this time. Managment got rid of two of the biggest negative influences. Good riddance to those two. We are getting new clients. There is a feeling of hope in the office.

Cons

The physical space is not very creative. Rooms are dark and the carpet in the "nice" conference rooms are messy. Reception area is strange.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. These last few months have seen more positive change then the past 2 years. Please stick around for a while.

3. "A very different agency today"

Former Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I worked at Naked Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New direction gave it a small start up feel, with creative buzz — small team meant ambitious young employees could jump into the deep end of business much faster than at larger agencies

Cons

Left when the agency was still trying to find its feet with no steady direction. Can't comment on today's state as my experiences are probably very different to the agency it is today

Advice to Management

Cannot comment as have not worked under current management

4. "Faded star"

Current Employee - Crn in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Crn in New York, NY

I have been working at Naked Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was once a strong brand, but so was Bill Cosby

Cons

Once famed for brand consultancy and holistic planning, now one of X thousand digitally focused creative shops spinning a story around "experience design"

Advice to Management

Take the blue pill

5. "Ups and downs but excited about where we are now and whats next."

Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY
    Current Employee - N/A in New York, NY

I have been working at Naked Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Naked for a few years and in that time I've seen the company transform itself from a strategy consultancy into a full service agency. In the process a lot of changes have been made, people have come and gone at all levels and new people have joined. I've been sad to see some people go - others I think belong somewhere thats a little less demanding. Has the transition been difficult at times - of course. Would I still be at Naked if I didn't enjoy working there and didn't see things taking off - absolutely not.

Naked is and has always been a place for interesting, intelligent and hardworking people.

Pros:
    Lot of new clients in the last few months
    Finally have strong leadership in place
    Culture that values hardwork as much as personality

Cons

Leadership changes (though I'm actually confident with the team now)
    Compensation could be better.
    Turnover (though some people who have left really just weren't right for the company)

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Also - hire the right people the first time.

6. "Unorganized Leadership Changes"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

small office environment
    Summer Fridays
    Beer in office

Cons

Leadership is out of touch with needs and wants of employees.
    No structure or growth plans for employees. Creative environment is weak and poorly structured for growth, especially for those wanting to learn.
    Lack of diversity across the board - especially within the leadership team.
    Changes in staff make the morale of the office and and somewhat fearful of any and all changes from leadership

Advice to Management

Give employees respect to earn theres.

"Kind of like a fading movie star who used to be an A-list celebrity but now hosts a segment on QVC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Naked Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Convenient Flatiron location. The health care package is pretty great for being such a small company. Most folks leave around 6/6:30 so you can have a life outside of work.

Cons

Very low morale in the office due to a revolving door of leadership and employees. The work itself isn't very exciting or creative and the situation doesn't look like it will improve any time soon. Plus, being desperate for new business is a scary position to be in.

Advice to Management

Your optimism feels forced.

8. "You'll be hard-pressed to find a better company culture..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Naked Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In the world of start-up creative shops, Naked culture is one of the best out there. Everyone works hard but has a sense of work/life balance. Brand new office space. Everyone is respectful, fun, and genuinely loves coming to the office everyday. Music is always playing, there's always a snack or ten floating around the office, and sometimes people even bring in their dogs. Creatives and strategists have very little structure to their work. The global network is huge. There is tons of travel offered depending on your client needs, and opportunities to get to know interesting people around the world. It's a true global agency with offices in London and Australia. Finally, they offer full benefits package and excellent vacation. I'm proud to be Naked.

Cons

Employees tend to wear many hats and don't move up quickly. Employees view agency as a revolving door that will get them to the next level after only a year or two. Former Naked leadership left things tangled and it's been a hot mess for "the next generation".

Advice to Management

Use this clean slate in brand history to build something really strong. Naked has always been the black sheep of creative agencies. It's time to capsize on our talent and global networks, get fresh new business and make an exciting come back.

"Don't believe the hype (not that there's much hype left)"

Former Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Strategist in New York, NY

Pros

Seems like a cool company looking from the outside. Funky offices. They had a good reputation outside the US (now somewhat tarnished by major account losses). A lot of people raised eyebrows at the US leadership team choice, a bunch of British (of course) B-Teamers. The third wheel Neal is at least amusing company (although devious and insecure, and with limited talents when it comes to marketing). It would probably be a good resume builder to say you had worked there. At least its not a carbon copy of many of the other agencies out there (although the bitchiness and self-inflation remains). There are some nice mid-level people there.

Cons

Very political and cliquey. Cramped office space. Management very concerned with their own image (and remuneration) and less concerned with team development. Arrogant and cynical approach to clients (when clients aren't listening). The whole dog and pony show tends to get repeated over and over again ... all clients basically get the same schtick. The pay down there is terrible and the freelancers get jacked. You have to work like a dog and someone else generally gets the credit. After the initial smoke and mirrors magic show there is little transformative effect on a clients marketing, which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Try and add some substance to the style. (And by the way, the style is looking a little out of date).

10. "Getting more naked"

I worked at Naked Communications full-time

Pros

People
    Clients
    Methodology
    Culture
    Creativity
    Strategic planning and consultancy

Cons

Lack of cohesion between offices
    Needs clearer definition

Advice to Management

Clearer vision and alignment