Nakisa Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi
Babak Varjavandi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • free breakfast and snacks everyday (in 13 reviews)

• People have been very friendly and willing to help (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Cons: Usual growing pains, have to adapt to changes (in 4 reviews)

• R&D is king of the mountain there and restrain the proper expansion of the company (in 4 reviews)

"All is not well"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Lahore (Pakistan)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Lahore (Pakistan)

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Environment.
    Helpful team members.
    Good moral values.

Cons

No importance of Good resources at.
    Insecure job.
    HR don't even know about employees.
    Need (I don't know how much more time) to be a great company.

Advice to Management

Think from an employee perceptive not by company's.

"Some good but more bad"

Former Employee - Professional in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Professional in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

free breakfast and central location accessible from underground city

Cons

management is erratic, decisions seem not to be thought through, lots of turnover even on C-Level (seen plenty of VP Sales, VP Marketing, VP Finance) come and go.
    many employees I know feel constantly job insecurity

Mar 23, 2017

It is true that Nakisa has undergone some changes, but not without good reason which may not be obvious to all. Just like any fast growing company, we need to be able to turn quickly and redirect our... More

"Micromanagement and toxic environment"

I worked at Nakisa (More than a year)

Pros

- There are some genuinely good people who work there
    - Pay and benefits are decent

Cons

- Micromanagement
    - Turnover is high
    - The company lacks trust in their employees and its a regular occurrence for positions to have their responsibilities cut or to be completely transformed.
    - They do not invest in growing employees
    - Culture of fear and negativity
    - Lack of professionalism

Advice to Management

Bad attitude and poor work habits among the executive team. Not interested in fixing problems they create. Would rather blame employees for their mistakes than attempt to improve themselves.

Feb 8, 2017

Hello,
    It is apparent that you and Nakisa were not the right match, yet we appreciate the experience and believe it was a learning opportunity for both sides.

For those of us who choose to stay... More

"Poor leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is trully a company that values its employees, no doubt.

Cons

This is indeed a family run business. The great thing about this is that employees are treated as if they were part of one big happy familiy. The downside is that not necessarely all positions are occupied by the best talent available . At a time when growing pains need to get adressed quickly and effectively, when recruiting talent is a question of survival and when experience around the executive table is key, relying on family members and friends that have been around for a long time is not necessarely what's going to make this business succesful at capturing the enormous opportunity it faces.

Advice to Management

The owner of this company needs to surround himself with strong leaders at the top and empower them, not with friends, family members or yes men if they don't have what's required to get the job done. Time will tell, many entrepreneurs just don't have what it takes to get their business to the next level. We shall see.

"Not for long term"

Former Employee - Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Nakisa (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers but management a bit difficult of approach.

Cons

It is expected to work a lot sometimes without a good vision (and leadership).
    People do come and go a lot, that tells a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

Help the employees (especially when it's the first job) with their career path. Maybe have a clearer vision and leadership.

Jul 13, 2015

All our Managers have an open door policy and encourage staff to go to them with questions and feed back. As a growing company, we do work hard to meet our goals which is a reality in this industry... More

"Only good for beginners who are fresher in the job market"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

good to start your career but make sure to leave in an year

Cons

poor salary. monopoly of few few ppl

Advice to Management

pay well.

Jun 11, 2015

Thank you for your feed back. At Nakisa, we welcome new talent and understand the importance for employees to progress with their careers. We keep up with the market's offering and proudly offer our... More

"Only looks great from the outside"

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are great. When I was working there, there were employees that came from around the globe, which made for a fantastic environment.

Cons

Extremely high turnover and no job security. The moment you would start earning more money, you would be replaced by a new graduate. Pretty ironic, when you consider that one of their products focuses on talent management. Definitely not something they apply at this company.

"The company itself is confused"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself was fun
    Many of the people are nice

Cons

Management and team leads seem confused most of the time and miss deadlines
    Upper management is not pleasant

Advice to Management

Hire better project managers and treat employees better.
    HR is great, our teams are great, it is just a downer to see someone from management carrying all the negative energy or showing off to us. We do not care about you, we care about getting the project done ON TIME!!

"Worked as a Software Developer"

I worked at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The R&D department had some pretty solid, albeit overworked leaders. Despite the constant stress they kept level heads. There were some nice people working there overall. They have the occasional really fun events, like Halloween.

Cons

You're surrounded by a lot of overworked developers. While I was there, I spent all too much time working on bugs and working on customer installations rather than on actual development. There was little growth as a developer, the architecture was complex beast. There were turbulent periods where people got fired or started leaving in droves due to dissatisfaction.

CEO, I was never entirely sure what to make of. On one hand, his speeches were engaging, he seemed approachable and open-minded, but seemed his perfectionism was at the detriment of those working under him. Also heard some disheartening 'quotes' (transmitted through the grapevine) such as "I don't care if it's your wedding day or any day, if you have work to do you'll do it."

HR felt like it wasn't there to protect the interests of the employees. The CEO's sister's in charge so you never feel entirely comfortable.

"There are better companies but there are worse companies ..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

- Travel.
    - Exposure to all areas of the organization.
    - Office location.
    - Food in the lounge.
    - Hard-working employees.

Cons

- Despite the glaring issues and some positives about the organization, current and past employees' attitudes (understandably) are hurting the company's image / value both internally and externally.
    - Perhaps it is time to consider a change in management or at least a big shift in management attitude as the constant flip-flop in direction is really difficult to understand and accept.
    - Rumors spread like wildfire - mainly due to the small population of employees.
    - Nakisa is a cashflow company - no flow, no go.
    - Departments are pitted against each other with some artificial attempts to make sure everyone gets along.

Advice to Management

Alas, it is not my job to tell you how to do yours. All I can say is that maybe it is easy for current and past employees to berate the CEO and the organization, but that won't really solve anything. It's not easy running a company, let alone build one from nothing. So at least there is credit to be given. However, if the company wants to grow beyond 100 employees perhaps it may be helpful to consider some of the following points:

- SAP understandably controls a lot of what is being done, but it's time to start saying NO if you can't keep up with their constant unrealistic demands on what little resources you have.
    - It's nice to innovate, but fix the issues that are constantly in the product and never seem to get resolved.
    - Being risk averse isn't a bad thing, but a company that doesn't leverage debt will find it very difficult to grow beyond its current means.
    - A CEO who considers himself a product manager should perhaps think about delegating CEO duties to someone who is less vested in the product. Understand the difference between micro-managing and delegating. There is simply too much micro-managing at the top and it sets the tone for the rest of the organization.
    - After a while, it kind of makes sense why partner trainings continue to be a disaster. Management is so focused on products and jumping high when SAP demands it that there is no one to take ownership of training. The slides haven't improved at all and countless different people pull in different directions. Was getting rid of the training coordinator to save on cost really worth it in the long run? The company has wasted time, money, resources and effort scrambling to improve training and there's really nothing to show for it. But saving 50K at the time made more sense, right?
    - With such high turnover, you'd think some kind of extra effort would be made to entice talent to stay within the company. It's almost sad that when someone leaves they are presented with a laughable counter-offer.
    - Don't give raises to some people mid-year and nothing to others. The people who get raises mid-year will still expect their usual annual raise and those who don't get mid-year raises feel left out. Yeah, it's supposed to be confidential. But everybody knows the reality of the situation. Money is a band-aid solution and you don't throw it around, especially not after laying off countless employees for financial reasons.
    - Be consistent. Be consistent. Be consistent.
    - Why so many meetings? Are good decisions actually being made or are we all just wasting our time? If all of these meetings brought the company to its current state ... perhaps LESS meetings and more productivity may help?
    - Ban iPhones during meetings. Maybe people would start listening.