Nakisa Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nakisa President and CEO Babak Varjavandi
Babak Varjavandi

Pros
  • Free breakfast and snacks all day (in 10 reviews)

• People have been very friendly and willing to help (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Cons: Usual growing pains, have to adapt to changes (in 3 reviews)

• People do come and go a lot, that tells a lot about the company (in 2 reviews)

1. "Working at Nakisa"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

Pros

-The people are really friendly, creating a very positive atmosphere
    -The downtown location is very close to public transportation as well as many services (restaurants and gyms etc.)
    -They provide a free breakfast (a wide variety of foods)
    -They provide each new employee a generous amount of stock in the company
    -There is a casual dress code
    -They have a pool table, tennis table and movie nights with the in house cinema

Cons

None so far at this time

Advice to Management

Please continue to trust the employees feedback about what is needed to support the growth of the company

"I am a manager at Nakisa"

Current Employee - Management in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Management in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great products
    Learning: From new technology to innovative ways of doing, opportunity to learn and develop is always present to be taken advantage of.
    Team work: It is wonderful to go to work everyday to be with friends who support you
    social: Always looking forward to team events. Coming up is 2016 holiday party which is always smashing
    Best word to describe Nakisa at this time : Growth Growth Growth. it is very exciting

Cons

Need more people who are passionate about their work and who want to be part of a family.

Advice to Management

We need to do a better job in making Nakisa better known. lots are done but not enough is said about us.

Dec 1, 2016

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your thoughts. We are indeed growing and able to allow such great opportunities for those passionate and driven professionals. Thanks for being part of the ... More

"Great place and always improving!"

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I joined Nakisa about 3 months ago and what can I say...I already feel like I'm with my second family.
    Going to work everyday is really fun where I'm surrounded by great people in terms of both personality and work ethic.
    Culture here is really the top focus..it's rare these days to find a workplace that is filled with people that treat each other with tremendous respect and truly go out of their way to help you.
    Prior to joining I was a bit skeptical due to some negative reviews that I read over here. However after going through the interviews and meeting great people right away, I knew that this company is on to something.
    Like any other company, Nakisa has its areas of improvement to work on. However, what makes Nakisa stands out is the recognition of these issues by upper management and actually working on fixing them.
    Let me first clarify that these issues are not serious anyway. In fact, many of those are potentially good ones. As many have mentioned, perhaps the most dominant one right now is being a little under staffed.
    This is where the management, lead the president, clearly stated the need to grow and almost double the size of the workforce!
    Finally, the company has an exciting product line and a very promising future. If you think you have the right skills and attitude, then I highly recommend you considering to join us.
    I've already referred a couple of my ex colleagues and looking forward to inviting more!

Cons

Development cycles need a bit more stability.
    Product vision needs a bit more clarity.

Advice to Management

Management seems to really listen to their employees and act really fast on issues. I advise them to keep it up as this keeps us really motivated and excited to give more. This could get tricky at times such as nowadays when we're aiming to double the size of the staff.

"It's all good!"

Pros

Several stimulating projects and lot's of room for growth. If you are the type of person who has initiative and who likes to be involved this is the place to work.

Cons

No reasons not to join Nakisa

"Great Team Environment"

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am a relatively recent hire at Nakisa and so far my experience has been great. Some of the pros are:
    - Great location
    - Amazing team. Everyone is very welcoming, hard working and intelligent
    - New company initiatives (A lot of potential growth)
    - Interesting and challenging projects
    - Free breakfast and coffee everyday

Cons

The building could use a face lift inside and a group RRSP plan would be nice

Mar 27, 2015

Thank you for your comments, we have great ideas and objectives for 2015!!

"Fast-paced and stimulating work environment in the heart of Montreal"

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Even though I am part of the most recent hires at Nakisa, it feels like I've been working there for much longer! Amazing co-workers and exciting projects certainly contributed to making me get onboard and enjoy the ride.

Cons

I don't really have any cons to share. Nakisa seems to be the best well-kept secret in Montreal so the onus is on us to change that.

Mar 27, 2015

We invest a lot of time and energy on our on-boarding process. Thank you for your feedback.

"Satisfied to work at a stable respectful company"

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great relationship with supervisor
    Top managers and VPs really accessible and friendly
    Company's culture based on respect (the real one, the respect you feel day-in day-out, each second you spend at this company, not a simple word used by HR to attract like I experienced in other companies)
    Multicultural environment where we learn from each other
    Company at a growth phase, but human resources are the center of attention still
    Good salary
    Flexible working shifts
    Extra free week of vacation at christmas time (+ regular statutory holidays), management being really cool at this one :) makes it nearly 2 weeks off
    Strategy and orientations being shared and explained on a monthly and quarterly base

Cons

Honestly can't find that many to say .. Maybe some silos still to break between departments, but nothing critical, when you need other departments help you get it.

Advice to Management

Keep on being what you are, genuine and approachable

Mar 27, 2015

One of the things we are proud of at Nakisa is that we are a multicultural environment that leads to a wealth of varied skill-sets and experiences.

"Positive atmosphere, great people - overall a great place to work!"

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Nakisa are the people. Over the past couple of years, the company has managed to instill a very positive culture. They appear to hire not just based on knowledge and experience, but based on personality and fit as well, ensuring that everyone fits in well with the company's culture. You don't see this in many companies, and it helps make for a very positive working environment.

The leadership across the company is solid, with management acting as mentors and always providing people encouragement and the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally. Rather than leaving for other opportunities elsewhere, over the past few years, many people have looked internally and have taken on entirely new roles within the company. Many people across the company have been there for 10+ years.

The office is in the heart of downtown Montreal, with direct access from underground (which helps a lot during cold Montreal winter days!) Free food (cereal, bagels, toast, yogurt, fruits, etc) as well as tea and coffee are available all day, everyday.

The company is growing significantly, with many job openings across every department.

Cons

While I personally don't consider this a negative, if you're looking for a job with the same mundane day-to-day tasks, this definitely isn't the place for you. The work is fast-paced and challenging.

Advice to Management

Really excited about the direction of the company. Keep doing what you're doing!

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To start with the more superficial, the office itself is pretty great. It's an old theater building (with a theater still in place), ping pong, pool tables, cafeteria, 20ft ceilings, etc. The culture is super friendly, easy-going, and hard-working. I'm surrounded by competent people who like being good at what they do, and I think that's pretty important.
    This isn't the kind of place that makes you stamp in/out, or even keep track of your movements. You almost make your own schedule (come in and leave late/early).. Just get your work done. I'm a big fan of keeping a flexible schedule.. static 9-5 just isn't viable in today's world.

The current Exec leadership is the strongest it has been since I joined a few years back. They are likable, approachable, and very smart. I have quite a bit of respect for them.. That said, there have been one of two rough points in the past with some of the execs who aren't here anymore..

Turnover - gfresh minds, bad-apples gone, positive energy, rebounding from successfactors,

Since it's not a massive company, there's a lot of opportunity to make waves and influence change. It's very easy to get included on a new project, jump on a new initiative, etc. This is probably one of the best things about this place: if you want it, there's load of opportunity. I'm sure there are people who are interested in cruising along, gaming the system, and collecting their checks.. That's not me. What I like about this place is that there are SO many ways to NOT be bored. I hate being bored. It's like necrosis for the mind. I'm not bored here.

Cons

We had an executive who was quite aggressive and not very open-minded. Caused some issues internally. There was another one who just didn't seem to care, and always seemed to find reasons to not work hard. They are both gone, so it's a non-issue now.

Can be hard to get direct feedback sometimes. When the culture is super-friendly, you almost have to go and ask for feedback and extract it from people. It's not always readily volunteered..

Advice to Management

There have been a few disgruntled former-employees... and as a result the management team has been overly sensitive to current employees and slower to get rid of the current "bad apples" that are still here.. I really wish the management team would just fire the slackers that are still here. If someone isn't happy, get the hell out. Why wait to be fired anyways?

11. "Nakisa deserves better reviews Before I interviewed at Nakisa, I read glassdoor and still took the job."

I have been working at Nakisa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nakisa was recommended to me by a friend who works here. After a year he is still here and I could not be happier. Working here you will meet people who have been here for 5, 10 even 15 years or more. Obviously many glassdoor comments are not reflective of how these employees feel.

The people are great. The management team has some new faces and all are eager to make the company a better place and help the company grow..... and it is growing. While there are lots of opportunities for the existing products, the new leasing product has a HUGE opportunity.

New to management is a COO, responsible for HR, someone with extensive experience with HR.

Nice office, good location, free fresh fruit and other food and the other stuff you would expect from a software company, and things you don't expect - their own movie theatre. I have never worked for a company that has so many staff lunches.

A truly worldwide company, but it is still small enough that the CEO will know your name.

Cons

The company could provide more career advancement type training. I will have to do some of this on my own.

Advice to Management

I can see you have lots of jobs posted. These positions are needed and more. Hire good people.