Namely Reviews | Glassdoor

Namely CEO Elisa Steele
Elisa Steele

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "This goes beyond "growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

• "The work/life balance was a joke, especially having so many newly implemented clients we didn't know what to do with" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Seems Great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Namely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently started and so far this seems like a great program. They built out a great training program for their sales development reps and account executives that looks like it will fully prepare them for their role and the product they will be selling.
    It's a very casual and fun environment. I've worked at large corporations my entire career and this is one of the best places I've worked

Cons

I'm not sure what they are yet. I hear there is a lot of work but I haven't experienced it yet.

2. "morphing into corp life"

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Namely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great place to work, startup vibe, great team

Cons

no cons except for Senior Management.

"A good thing, that could have been great."

Former Employee - Client Services
    Former Employee - Client Services

I worked at Namely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The majority of the people I had the privilege in working with were amazing -- talented, helpful, and friendly, for the most part.

The product itself, albeit lacking integration across the board, was pretty innovative to say the least. I was always eager when a product release or update (hell, even a patch) came around, it brought music to my client's ears. Great product for small to mid-sized companies.

Benefits and PTO was great for a tech start-up; Company dinners and outings; Happy hours; Stocked kitchens; Relaxed office environment.

Cons

The abrupt change in leadership, and overall direction for the company literally felt like it spawned overnight. When I first joined Namely, I was still green behind the ears and learning on the job, but with solid support it wasn't too bad. The new hire training you receive unfortunately needs a face-lift, but that's only because the company's growth seemed like it also doubled overnight, creating even more work to our already overworked Product team.

Sad to see so many faces seem so entirely overwhelmed. The work/life balance was a joke, especially having so many newly implemented clients we didn't know what to do with. Depending on which department you were in, you genuinely were reluctant to take a week off, in fear of coming back to a burning building with pissed off clients. There really wasn't true back-up support unfortunately, hopefully this can be overhauled.

The product itself is still not fully integrated, and this was a growing-pain ultimately with newly implemented clients, who were usually promised the world in terms of our product and scope of services. The implementations in the last quarters were usually rushed and passed over to Client Services , ultimately passing the buck.

Management itself seemed to be barely staying afloat, often providing little to no direction and zero support to their own employees. This is a common thing I noticed across departments -- poor leadership and management.

All in all, the decline of both employee and client satisfaction was apparent, with morale at an all time low. My only wish is that these items are addressed to senior leadership, and is taken into serious consideration.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring unqualified leadership. Take pride in the caliber talent you've brought on board, and continue to invest in these people. Revisit your culture, and values.

"It’s getting there.."

I have been working at Namely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At my time here and currently, I’ve worked with some of the most innovative and creative people in my career. There’s a great opportunity for growth, but only if you truly work for it. It’s pretty based on what kind of manager you have. I am very fortunate to have an amazing manager that cares about my career growth and my wellbeing, even outside of work. Pretty competitive salary, cool office, ok benefits, awesome extra perks.

Cons

There is a lack of training and support sometimes, and I get that might be putoff to some people. However, Namely is a growing company that’s still building and bettering its processes- so there’s a lot of things you have to take initiative on to even get somewhere. It’s not impossible, it just takes a bit more time and work to prove yourself worthy for growth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing. The increasing transparency is highly appreciated but we need more formal training for our teams down in the trenches to help support all the business and demands.

"Promotions are BS"

I have been working at Namely full-time

Pros

Flexibility. All in all, a good place to work.

Cons

Good and consistent work is more often overlooked.

Advice to Management

If you are rude to your peers, you get promoted. If you help your peers whenever they have questions or get an overabundance of compliments from clients, you get overlooked.

"Hilarious."

Former Employee - Client Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Client Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Namely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's great opportunity.....If and only if you don't strangle someone in self defense.

Cons

Don't be fooled by these 4 star reviews. HR pretty much forces you to write positive reviews before you see the truth about this office. This place is ghetto. The Managers are ghetto. They know who they are. I'm surprised the lawsuits haven't kicked in yet. There are two specific female Managers that belittle, yell, curse at their team members and peers. The lack of professionalism and decency is appalling. I'm truly surprised there hasn't been more physical violence or police presence involved in that office because of these two female Managers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your HR and the two Managers that have a lengthy list of complaints against them. Its not hard to figure out who these two females are. They're atrocious and simply disgusting humans. HR does nothing to protect the company and the culture they sell you on. They're simply bullies.

Namely Response

Feb 1, 2019 – Manager, People Operations

We’re sorry to hear that your experience with Namely has not lived up to expectations. We seek to create a culture where all employees are respected and feel comfortable in the workplace. Your... More

"It was great...and then..."

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Namely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent and hard working co-workers . Great team dynamic. Snacks. Beer now in ATL - WFH per your manager - Descent Pay - Mac for work use and great company Swag. Some managers are really trying to get the ball rolling on change.

Cons

No real sense of direction in Client Service. We all seem like chickens with our heads cut off. When I first started I was so elated to be with such an innovative company but, as time went on, I started to realize there was no REAL training in place. It's almost as if they just have bodies to answer the phones and work through cases. They rely on the fact that you have "industry" knowledge. That only goes so far when you have different processes and lack of "procedures" in place. New rules pop up daily with no written reference. The lack of structure and training causes a lack of confidence and most of us, just wait for the day to end.

Bit crowded due to growing pains. No longer able to have privacy in Non bookable rooms. Very Catty managers.

Advice to Management

I am aware training and processes is a work in progress, but please have managers ease up on client service. We are doing the best we can, with what we've been provided.

"A mess."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Namely full-time

Pros

Stocked break room and amazing people to work with.

Cons

-Lack of planning and training on projects
    -Lack of training
    -Lack of diversity in upper management
    -Namely not keeping up with the growth, and employees are overworked
    -Some managers in the ATL office need Management training. Some managers are very catty and immature. There is one manager who recently transferred from the NY office to the ATL office is the main one.

Advice to Management

Overtime is not a “gift”. Stop telling employees that they can work as much overtime as they need to in order to get work done. These employees have families and other things they want to accomplish. Think about that. The ATL office deserves better treatment.

Namely Response

Feb 14, 2019 – Manager, People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. As Namely continues to grow, will we be identifying opportunities for learning - making sure our managers are well-equipped to lead their teams is at the top of our... More

"Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Namely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard work and competence are rewarded. If you care more about work/life balance, that is also available in most departments but your career growth will naturally be impacted.

Energetic, talented people in every office and department.

A leadership team that works tirelessly to foster a great work environment. They probably try too hard because some of our employees will never be happy.

Misc. perks like attractive comp plans, flexible PTO, a generous maternity and paternity leave policy, good benefits, free snacks, and a zero-tolerance policy for jerks.

2018 had its challenges, but we also had a major upgrade in our C-suite and have made huge strides toward building a sustainable business.

Cons

-Our client service teams still seems to be understaffed and overstressed and we've lost some good talent as a result.

-The whining is getting out of hand. Benefits are too expensive (thank ACA for that - Namely contributes $10k-$15k/year for benefits and 401k match), execs are too white/Asian/male (we have a female CEO and CPO, both of whom are fantastic), certain offices feel neglected (sorry you chose to work for a satellite office?), we don't fly all employees to HQ for a company party (that would cost millions), and on and on. Are some departments probably overworked? Absolutely, and I commend them for hanging in there and being amazing humans and coworkers. But 90% of the complaints are baseless and distract us from our mission of kicking a--, chewing bubble gum (which is free btw), and achieving our founder's big 3 - $100M+ in annual revenue, $1BN+ valuation, and IPO.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job, but I think you are only hurting yourselves and the company by continuing to respond to every ridiculous complaint and AMA comment. Toxic employees will never be satisfied and already have one foot out the door, so do us a favor and open it for them.

10. "Good"

Pros

Good job offered to me

Cons

Nothing to complain about at all