Cover image for Nanigans

Nanigans

Is this your company?

Nanigans

Add a Review

Nanigans Employee Reviews about "nanigans"

Updated Apr 16, 2018

Verify your email to use filters. Having problems? Resend email
Found 77 of over 77 reviews
3.9
86% Recommend to a Friend
87% Approve of CEO

Found 6 of over 77 reviews

3.9
Nanigans Co-founder & CEO Ric Calvillo (no image)
Ric Calvillo

Technical Account Manager

70 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Had lots of great people with a wonderful sense of camaraderie(in 7 reviews)
  • "Corporate culture, which is very tight and collegial.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Great management.(in 4 reviews)
  • "functional team dynamic is fantastic.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Free lunches every day!(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "nanigans"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Smart, fun company whose customers are the best e-commerce players.

Dec 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Technology is the real deal- and there are not many companies for which this is true. Very smart, fun and collaborative people. Lots of spirited company events that we still talk about years later. Nanigans has done a great job proactively adapting as a strategic marketing partner of Facebook. Nanigans seeks to deliver true value through data for its customers- no obfuscation, no bs.

Cons

Focus on Facebook has been good for Nanigans, but it means they are dependent on one platform, that's very powerful. Nanigans may have done a subtle pivot in the last year, but i'm not sure about all the details.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0

Unique Learning Opportunity

Sep 25, 2015 - Operations in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nanigans has been disrupting the ad-tech space since its inception, and there are no signs that will stop anytime soon. The people are the best you'll work with, the product is unmatched in its class, and the customer base is savvy. If you're looking to learn and absorb as much as you can, and roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty, this is the place to be. The cross-functional team dynamic is fantastic. The larger group is collaborative, outgoing, creative, and makes coming to work everyday a great experience. From the various clubs and after hours activities, to company outings and parties, and even to the every day grind... people make it fun and enjoyable.

Cons

Nanigans, its clients and partners, as well as the industry as a whole, move and adapt very quickly. This makes for a fast faced, sometimes tumultuous, and always challenging work environment. For those who thrive and are motivated by this type environment, the learning opportunities are unmatched. It's not for everyone, however. The organization is still relatively flat, and some may see this as limited opportunity for growth. Others have taken advantage of this and have grown with the company. As a global company, there are still a lot of challenges to overcome keeping remote offices in the know. After-hours calls are sometimes required in order to overcome this.

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Nanigans team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0
    Current Employee

Exciting time with bright prospects, but obstacles do exist.

Aug 10, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

-A lot of autonomy in your work environment -Blue chip brands/some of the most exciting companies on the planet as clients -Many employees go on to work for Facebook, Snapchat, or in-house performance marketing teams -A product launch this year that is truly disruptive and is resonating with prospects -Free lunch everyday plus unlimited PTO and great office/location in DTX -The CEO cares an extreme amount about the product and changing the status quo within the industry

Cons

-In the past, their perhaps has not been as solid of vision for the company as it exists now, but the north star has been established and we're trying to move their at lightspeed -Facebook has been marginalizing the FMP ecosystem and it's been tough on all FMPs (not just Nanigans) to keep up with the innovations at FB. However, this is why Nanigans is diversifying it's solutions and revenues to be truly cross-channel. -Their has been turnover, but you'll see that at any start-up/tech company. Some hires ended up not working out or were great people, but just not right for a particular role. If you're considering a role here worry about who your supervisor will be and the renewed focus of the company.

4 people found this review helpful

VP

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We very much appreciate your input and are happy to hear that you believe in our vision for the future.

5. 4.0

Great Company, Great Product, Poor Management

Aug 15, 2016 - Account Director in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are lots of really smart, driven, and fun people working here. The product is really great, which is why some big brands use Nanigans and keep coming back year after year. The company culture makes everyone feel a part of a team and included in the big picture. Free lunches, unlimited vacation and flexible work hours are obviously a plus and keep the company competitive in the ad tech space.

Cons

There is a retention problem right now, and the CFO and CEO clearly don't know how to fix it. While compensation is pretty fair and competitive, more frequent bonuses and promotions (or even acknowledgements) would help people feel valued and appreciated. Changes in direction are not uncommon, and the messaging and explanations are not handled well. The teams need a bit more confidence.

9 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee

Unless you are a junior professional looking for a resume boost, stay far, far away

Jan 10, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are a more junior professional looking for experience and knowledge of the industry, that opportunity exists at Nanigans. The hours are relatively relaxed and they have unlimited vacation and sick time. The new RTB product has the potential to be promising if handled correctly.

Cons

You are not working for a democracy at Nanigans. You are working for a dictatorship. The CEO's word is the only word that matters, regardless of your level of expertise in your field. Management is so aggressively micro-managing that employees have no free range to do what they think is right for the product and company, they simply play follow the leader all day. Engineers are held in higher regard to the rest of the company, openly and unapologetically. Culture is an atrocity -- if you are a female you will feel more comfortable in a Southern frat house with no clothes on. If you are sober or recovering, DO NOT WORK HERE. The only culture that exists is drinking. Expectations, deadlines and the direction of the company and product turn on a dime with little to no logic. Changes are not communicated to staff. Promotion is based on closeness with the CEO and not on skill or talent, leading to a management team that, while great at their skill of choice, is completely clueless about management tactics.

6 people found this review helpful

VP

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. You’re clearly a passionate team member whose voice should be heard. We’re happy to hear you recognize the growth and learning opportunities Nanigans can provide to new team members, as well as the benefits of flexible time off for work/life balance. I am very sorry that your overall experience is not matching our intention of providing an amazing place for everyone to work. As we build out our promising new RTB technology, we understand how it may seem that engineering has been prioritized in some ways. This is true for many SaaS companies moving fast to build industry-first technologies, but the company’s success depends on every team—not just engineering. The executive team is working to better ensure all teams recognize their critical role in our shared success. Management is often faced with having to make quick decisions that have long term impacts, as our industry is changing so rapidly. However, we absolutely need to do a better job of communicating the reasoning behind these decisions to our employees in a clear and timely manner. I encourage you to ask any questions that you may have during our quarterly all-hands meetings. Finally, we’re also actively recruiting for a Director of People Operations to help move our company culture forward as we grow. Your feedback will help us make Nanigans and better place.

7. 5.0

Interview experience and onboarding

Dec 30, 2013 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company is a start-up and I have to say for such a new company they have their recruiting and people flow down very well. In my interview there were no surprises, everything was "as advertised". One of the best things about the whole interview process was I knew exactly where I stood; they didn't play any games or have any poker faces. I felt like everyone was very forthcoming and honest about the company and people. In the end what drew me to the business was definitely they fact that Nanigans is a cool start-up, but more importantly the people that work there are great. For me being with a crew that is pleasant to be around and will also help me development is my number one criteria. I look forward to seeing how Nanigans grows over the coming years.

Cons

nothing to comment on at this time.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 5.0

A home for A-players

Jul 21, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great software, great growth opportunities, great people. Nanigans has developed great software, a testament to hiring smart people and staying very committed to their core customer base's needs. Behind this software success is a strong product- and customer- support driven culture. The company is on a great growth trajectory, and most recently am very proud of its transition to SaaS that puts it on an even better one -- it's a telling example of senior leadership's ability to pull together all resources across the company to "steer the ship" in the right direction. Personally, Nanigans has provided me countless and consistent opportunities to grow in my career as the company has grown. I've learned a tremendous amount (about the space, my area of ownership, and generally building a tech company) from both senior management and colleagues. I've always felt motivated, challenged, supported with opportunity in front of me -- and a big part of that is because management is very accessible and engaged in building a great company. As work/life balance seems to be a topic in a lot of older reviews, also just want to vouch for it having materially improved in a meaningful way; those early stage startup days are over and teams are well staffed. The people here are probably the best part about working at Nanigans - you're generally surrounded by driven, willing, good-natured, smart colleagues who're always looking to learn and grow... and laugh! So naturally it's a place where A-players tend to find their home -- they thrive in the ownership, transparency and meritocracy here. It's also a place where fun is welcomed (too many gifs to count on our Slack channels!) and people actually hang out with one another on their own will (my colleague just rounded up a group to take a trapeze class together after work yesterday...a Monday).

Cons

Like any startup growing quickly, there's always room for improvement around things like communication, training, processes, etc.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great startup for technology-aficionados / aficionadas and hands-on doers

Apr 16, 2018 - Senior Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Into: I am not a big fan of reviews on glassdoor. Just like many other companies, the picture rendered here is mostly biased by either disgruntled former staff, by individuals who try to compensate for lack of skills with overly positive reviews (those are mostly the reviews easy to connect to an individual). I took some time to let emotions fade and am now ready to produce a review which I think includes some aspects that are missing amongst the other reviews. For the average job seeker I think it is important to know these aspects to establish cultural fit. Nanigans is a great (and very typical) startup company. ‘Startup’ is mostly defined by few individuals having disproportionate amounts of capital invested into some idea which is usually not yet profitable. Hence, the few stakeholders will try to exercise their leverage and pull rank occasionally in order to achieve profitability/success rather sooner than later. Quite frankly, I’d do the same. Pros: Culture - Maybe the company with the most amazing culture I have seen so far. I still entertain a great relation with many current and former employees and could not say anything bad about the intra-company relation and how a startup culture is exercised. Nanigans provides lunch, snacks, fruits, sodas and more in some very nice office space in downtown Boston. The events Nanigans organizes are the ones you want to be invited to. Super-strong bias on Technology - Nanigans is trying to accomplish their goals, leveraging state-of-the-art technology. Many of the technologies used at Nanigans are a dream at other companies. Nanigans does not shy away from the risk introducing new technologies. Excellent existing product on Facebook Channel - Nanigans introduced a groundbreaking product years ago. The product is data-driven and provides insights into the business processes that any in-house marketing team dreams about. The product is still way ahead of the competition in those areas and hence, Nanigans still maintains significant clients with social paid. The list of companies using Nanigans Socal Paid product sounds like the who-is-who of companies I’d like to have in my address book.

Cons

Lack of investment into existing products - the aforementioned product for Social Paid fell behind Facebook’s aggressive roadmap. Just like ALL other companies competing in that space, Nanigans had to focus on some core areas and cover the bases they think are most relevant for their existing business. Marketing on Facebook becomes more and more a thing you do with … guess.... Yes, Facebook. Keeping existing customers is hard, winning new revenue streams is even harder. Keep in mind, Nanigans is still maintaining significant amounts of Facebook business. This fact is to me an important indicator for Nanigans being able to kick-start new business and develop their new product successfully. Slow speed with new products - Nanigans has some great ideas (I am out for too long to write about it and also think it would be borderline unethical, but reach out to them and they will tell you) and are currently trying to win customers, convince the market. TMO this should go more aggressively and faster. Company Structure - The company is driven by the CEO. There is little to no product management and the few instances of PM are not working according to any of the PM principles and procedures. If you come in and help Nanigans to establish and adhere to such structure, you could be the winner. (Needless to say, I wasnt) Communication - the company is simply too small to be anything but super-transparent. But, unfortunately it is not. Communication was the weakest part and caused a lot of frustration with some disenfranchised employees.

2 people found this review helpful

VP

Thank you for drafting such a detailed and thoughtful review. It’s great to see that you still maintain a relationship with so many current and former team members. We also greatly appreciate your kind words on our culture as this is an area we continue to put investment in. You’re right about the challenges we face around keeping up with the rapid pace of development at Facebook. This is one of the main reasons we’re diversifying our revenue streams and adding “stickiness” to the platform by rolling out cross-channel solutions to the challenges that today’s performance advertisers face. Your advice on moving faster is well noted. We strive to bring new innovations to market as quickly as possible while maintaining the quality our reputation was built on. Finally, communicating across the org is something that we’re continually striving to improve on. We’re now holding more robust/frequent all-hands & posting more internal updates via Slack/email; all in order to build a fostering an environment where every team member has the visibility they need to succeed.

10. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Better places to work.

Jun 2, 2014 - Campaign Manager and Optimization Strategist in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Lots of young people work at Nanigans which can make it a fun place to work. -Strong training program on the platform during employees first week.

Cons

-Extraordinarily bad work/life balance. 80 Hour weeks are not uncommon. -Poor management; most managers are first time managers and rather than focusing on growing/supporting/mentoring the individuals on their team, their bottom line is getting the work done at whatever the cost. -Tumultuous upper management; it wasn't uncommon for the C-team to butt heads. Many were forced out of the company. - FB advertising is getting to be a crowded space. - No upward mobility/promotion opportunities

11 people found this review helpful
  11. 1.0

Soulless Company

Jun 9, 2016 - Account Director in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good product. Huge market given they are on built on FB's platform which is innovating and releasing new products at an unbelievable rate to keep users engaged.

Cons

Nanigans looks great from the outside looking in. If you are considering working here, I HIGHLY recommend reaching out to people who previously worked here to understand why they left. Lots of employees are leaving/have left within the last 6-9 months (go on LinkedIn.com and conduct a search with 'Past Company' Nanigans to see for yourself) Again, reach out to ex-employees on LinkedIn to get first hand information. I'll leave it at that.

13 people found this review helpful