Nanobiosym Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
DR. ANITA GOEL

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Never a dull day"

I have been working at Nanobiosym part-time

Pros

Exciting, stimulating place to work and grow. Great team spirit. Fast paced. Upbeat. Never a dull day.

Cons

Demanding work environment. Work / life balance can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Forge ahead with making that "dent in the universe", but keep showing sensitivity to the insight that deeply happy people make better employees.

"My ideal workplace"

Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Junior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Nanobiosym (More than a year)

Pros

Where to begin? I applied for a job at this company after seeing a presentation by C.E.O. Dr. Goel. I was deeply moved and greatly inspired by her vision of the future of scientifically achievable human health, AND by her pragmatic, realistic, steady baby-step-by-baby-step approach to achieving the fantastic, ambitious, wonderful goals she described.

Achieving our lofty goals takes the best of the best. I feel so honored to have been hired —starting at the bottom, which is totally fine by me— into an environment teeming with world-class minds. The team that our company has been building and honing is really impressive. Talented people are an organization's greatest assets, indeed. The average of the staff's IQ must be off the charts here!

I love how the CEO finds —more often than not— that difficult balance between being the demanding taskmaster-disciplinarian and an empathetic, appropriately in-tune and sensitive leader. I wish I could do that, so I study her example closely.

The management clearly and strongly values excellence, initiative, being a self-starter, creativity efficiency, and integrity. Ambitious persons who are aligned with that style thrive here. Like fish in water!

Cons

Working here is not for everyone. It's an intense place, with a very strong work ethic and a muscular company culture. People who are not highly dedicated, motivated, self-starting perpetual overachievers, will probably have a less than totally enjoyable time here. That may seem a bit harsh vis a vis relatively mediocre people, but hey, this is a young, dynamic, up and coming tech startup after all, and not a pasture for clockpunchers eyeing the start date of their retirement.

So, those who do not resonate with our company's principles and style, and are not able to live up to relatively high standards, may experience this relentless striving for quality and efficiency as 'micromanaging'.

It has to be said that the CEO has a laser sharp, highly intelligent mind —I would be so much smarter than I am now even if I had 30 IQ points less than her— with a tremendous capacity for deep critical thinking. A genius at the helm —think Elon Musk, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc.— is great for any company. This does come at something of a 'price' though. People who run or fly so much faster than most other people, can sometimes have a hard time to always be perfectly patient with those who are so much slower than they are. Sometimes, a bit of their frustration and irritation seeps through. That's ok though, that's human. In the case of our CEO, I feel this expresses itself as a communication style and default attitude that can feel quite direct, especially to more sensitive people. I mean, some people can get overwhelmed by this style. They can also perceive it as critical of them personally. In truth though, she really is like a great coach who seeks to push every team member to ultimate performance, and takes great, visible satisfaction in their professional development. Keep the coach well pleased, and you'll do great. Hang back and slack a bit, and she will be sure to notice and call you on it. Which is only fair, I think.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Never give up! Keep leading by example! Keep pushing yourself and the entire team to become the very best versions of ourselves! Be as demanding as the mission requires, and as generous with praise and more as resources allow when you see us going the extre mile and way beyond the call of duty. Keep reminding everyne that working here is so much more than just a job!

"A Nano-Bio-Info-Cognitive science startup with truly great growth potential"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, NY

I have been working at Nanobiosym full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Perfect location. The design of the new lab space aims to fuse nature and science, with a bit of suitable art and graphics as a special binding sauce.

Managers and leadership team starting from ceo passionately care about quality and consistently delivering results with excellence, integrity and efficiency. Highly motivated, driven, goal-oriented people.

The CEO is part of a new breed of scientist-entrepreneurs who bring the rigorous, disciplined thinking of science into building a globally scalable business aiming to serve billions of people.

Ceo is both pragmatic and visionary with impressive track record ( X-prize, and DARPA, US defense, and NASA contracts,... ) for which the company needs to consistently deliver mission-critical milestones on time and on budget.

Cons

Of all the business processes that can be improved -- which is all of them, always, naturally -- the HR processes have the most room for improvement.

Advice to Management

HR dept. really needs to spend a bit more time vetting people and finding the best folks. This way they can do a better job to make sure that new hires line up with our values and are more than merely technically able to do the job.

"Good ideas but poor employee treatment"

I worked at Nanobiosym full-time

Pros

The company has a noble cause and positive outlook.

Cons

The CEO is out of touch with her employees and treats them like peons. Employees are expected to work 10 hour days, 6 days a week, with no guaranteed breaks, not sustainable for long term employee health or work/life balance, no matter how noble the cause. Engineering staff seems productive, but admin and operations staff can't get anything accomplished with constant micromanaging and reassigning projects. CEO expects tasks to be done yesterday with no background information or anything to go on.

Advice to Management

Happy, healthy employees are more productive! Asking them to stay late for the occasional deadline or crunch is one thing, but demanding that they work 60 hour weeks is another.

"Just avoid this Place and the fake 5 star reviews"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Some great concepts and ideas and as another stated, you briefly feel as though you are part of a great organization

Cons

Extreme Micromanagement, Poor employee treatment. Unrealistic approach, condescending CEO poor lab conditions, constant secrecy.

Advice to Management

It would be pointless to offer any advice.

Apr 11, 2017

We currently do not have any employee with the title of Project Manager, nor have we ever had anyone employed with this title. Anyone with a concern may contact me at jsanford@nanobiosym.com... More

"A pretty solid place to work despite the false claims somebody is trying to spread here on glassdoor"

Current Employee - Senior Management
    Current Employee - Senior Management

I have been working at Nanobiosym full-time

Pros

This is a pretty solid place to work and the people who are a long term part of our team are truly passionate and hard working despite some of the fake news and malicious false info some people might be trying to propagate about us here

We invite all those of you who are genuinely interested in what we are aspiring to do and believe you have the right capabilities to contribute to our work to come explore with us directly whether there is a mutual genuine fit

The company is in the process of adding more seasoned HR and operations infrastructure which will further help set up systems so the company can scale its operations in a way that is commensurate with growing needs

We deeply appreciate everybody's constructive feedback and inputs as we grow and invite you all to share your constructive ideas on how we can further improve ourselves and our management systems as we grow to the next phase

Cons

This is a work environment that values people who are passionate and have a strong work ethic and want to get results and the leadership here is more than fair to the people who deliver

The company strives for excellence and does not claim to be perfect but for the right people it can be a great opportunity; members of the team are encouraged to take ownership in building their own portfolio of projects, milestones, and tasks

As the company has been mostly an R&D institute and incubator all these years it was more focused on research (both fundamental science and applied technology development) more like an academic or government research lab and only now has started to add some of the HR and operations infrastructure that is needed as it transitions to scale to become more of a global commercial enterprise

Advice to Management

Keep up the great, hard work and the entrepreneurial positive spirit

Remember it is not that easy to make a difference in this world; if it were that easy everybody would be doing it and we would already have a more enlightened planet

"Nanobiosym"

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Nanobiosym is an exciting startup that has leading edge technologies that will help to transform health care. Working with the visionary leaders within the organization is a rare opportunity.

Cons

the fast pace of this start up requires one to be able to think quickly.

Advice to Management

As your company grows, HR will be an important aspect to consider.

Dec 31, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to provide your inputs and feedback. We are delighted to have you as part of our global team and we look forward to speaking with you further in person as our team grows... More

"Little North Korea in Kendall square"

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Nanobiosym full-time

Pros

You can't say that they are not ambitious like Elizabeth Holmes. Just like like theranos, the mantra is one drop of blood. Gotta save the whole world.

Cons

Nano management to the core. No scientific direction. Revolving door of employees. So secretive because there are no secrets. Stay away. This company is going no where, it's just a shell for the owners.

Advice to Management

Please shut it down. Let your people go.

Dec 31, 2016

We appreciate your taking the time to provide us with your comments. While we do not agree with this propagation of fake news and inaccurate & false claims from a competitor or person who claims to... More

"The boss is a crazy woman"

Former Employee - Staffing Consultant
    Former Employee - Staffing Consultant

Pros

Dr Goel is a driven, workaholic perfectionist...albeit in the pursuit of altruistic goals (pun intended)

Cons

Dr Goel is personally indefatigable, and she expects her employees to give 110% at all times, and be grateful for the privilege. There will be no work-life balance, unless the ratio is 100% to 0%.

Nov 21, 2016

We are neither the first nor the last company in America's history to look at hard, ethical , passionate work as a virtue not a vice.

The people who fit well here have a drive and passion to do... More

""Hypergrowth" Co that does not grow...."

Pros

None, nada, zilch...they asked me on Glassdoor to write at least 20 words, but it seems like insurmountable task to do....

Cons

Bunch of great visions, no real success
    CEO makes this a platform to increase her visibility and boost her ego
    Prototype of the device locked in the safe
    Poor or close to none communication
    Bombastic claims, no commercial ops though
    Buunch of open positions, but no hiring
    Lab space is abysmal

Advice to Management

Just admit real standing

Dec 31, 2016

We appreciate your taking the time to provide us with your comments. While we do not agree with this propagation of fake news and inaccurate & false claims from a competitor or a person who claims to... More