Nanosys Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Nanosys as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to work at. I worked with some of the nicest people ever. They never shied away from lending a helping hand.

Cons

The only con is that you are surrounded by really smart people, which means you have to be on your toes

Advice to Management

No advice. They are all great people from top to bottom.

2. "Comfortable Work Environment"

I worked at Nanosys full-time

Pros

Large and well founded research department. Upper management encourages personal growth through research incentive programs. The CEO seems to have a dynamic roadmap for the company.

Cons

HR department is unfriendly to staff.

Advice to Management

Management needs to look into its seasoned staff i.e planning manager.

3. "Toxic environment"

I worked at Nanosys as a contractor

Pros

Decent starting pay for a fresh graduate

Cons

Awful management, awful production schedule

"Unethical Company!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milpitas, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Nanosys as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, free lunch 2X/week

Cons

Many. The pay for contractors is extremely low. They do this because they know they try to hire students or unemployed people who are willing to work low just to have a job. I was a student when I worked there as a chemical manufacturer technician. I can say that the management is incompetent. They shift their priorities, run around acting busy and one of the senior managers comes to work with high heels, makeup and a scarf as if she is in a fashion show. The HR is useless and my direct manager was someone who never had the time (nor made the effort) to come sit and discuss progress on the training. Nanosys also treats their contractors with utter disrespect; many have left this place and some have been "let go" without any reason.

I would avoid this company at all cost.

Advice to Management

Treat your contractors with more respect and value their dedication and hard work in driving your Quantum Dot production

"Senior Scientist"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Nanosys (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was most recently employed at Nanosys in the position of a Senior Scientist with specialty in synthetic chemistry. When the company decided to do a minor course correction I was laid off in April 2016. I enjoyed working at Nanosys and found the work environment to be interesting, encouraging and technically invigorating. At present, Nanosys is a world leader in the manufacture and formulation of nanocrystal phosphors. Nanosys nanocrystal phosphors outperform their competitors in terms of brightness (QY), stability and narrowness of emission (narrow emission fwhm). If Nanosys maintains its course Nanosys should be able to maintain its leadership position for a good number of years in the future.
        I believe that Nanosys gained their industry position in large part by helping its employees be successful while pursuing company goals. They actively promoted employee creativity to solve problems while maintaining the focus of their employees on the goals of the company. While at Nanosys, I was encouraged to describe my latest efforts in a short presentation every two weeks at the R&D group meeting as well as during a one-on-one meeting with my supervisor every week. Also, all the technical co-workers were encouraged to discuss our R&D efforts in a company-wide technical meeting about twice a year. Additionally, industrial and academic leaders were invited to give seminars at Nanosys periodically. These activities stimulated me intellectually, encouraged my problem solving abilities and motivated my practical activities as a task level, hands on scientist. Direct inter employee communication was promoted with catered company lunches on Monday and Friday. We had the opportunity to have lunch with company founders, CEO, CFO, CTO, IP / legal council and department leading officers as well as coworkers, facility workers and production chemistry operators. These interactions provided the opportunity for everyone at Nanosys to be on a first name basis and facilitated communication with anyone at anytime, either in the hallway or in their office. Nanosys hired the best employees and cultivated a no-nonsense work environment where everyone was accessible at any time for any reason.

Cons

Not really a complaint - it would have been nice to have more picnic tables for lunch outside in the shade.

6. "Technician"

Pros

Great co-workers, including managers and leads.

Cons

Contractors may not be able to attend certain events.

Advice to Management

Some high potential contractors need more chances to grow.

"Cons outweigh the Pros"

I worked at Nanosys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people working here.
    Technology is fascinating and there are opportunities to be at the forefront of the field.
    Lunches and employee programs are generally good.

Cons

Pay is not good for the south Bay Area, and no 401k matching.
    Poor treatment of contract employees.
    Sugar coating from management in regards to company standing.
    Credit being taken by people who don't perform the work (locate the REAL dead weight).
    Work environment has been on the downturn for a while.

Advice to Management

Shoot straight with the employees. The number of employees is small so there is no need to sugar coat things with them. Diversify the business model a bit and expand customer base. There are people who have been there for a while and have no problem showing off work they didn't perform....

8. "R&D in a Highly visible technology"

Former Employee - Product Development Chemist in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Product Development Chemist in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Nanosys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Interesting products and technology
    Fun and supportive environment
    Allows you to contribute satisfying technological advances

Cons

Base pay was below industry standard. With the cost of living (primarily housing) increasing at such a fast pace in the local area, this needs to be corrected in order to retain employees or attract new talent.
    Sometimes a disconnect between management and R&D ( though it had recently improved).

Advice to Management

Set pay to industry standards for the local area.

"Fix Team Culture in Production"

I worked at Nanosys as a contractor

Pros

1) Opportunity to wear multiple hats and gain experience in different departments. 2) As of now, the company has better technology when compared to competition 3) You gain the opportunity to learn how to deal with a "toxic" social work environment and realize how important team chemistry is in every work environment once you move on to a new job.

Cons

Lack of trust between and within employees; upper management. If the first philosophy everyone tells you is: "Watch your back, do not trust no one.." then you have a failed team culture. This company is very self-serving, largely ignores long-term benefits, and fails to recognize true talent and potential. To move up is to "suck up..." Many people with talent and potential have left the company as a result. Ex-employees have obtained better positions in R&D, engineering, quality, or other fields.

Advice to Management

Use your power to better effectively manage your employees. Leaders should act like one and not be afraid to take accountability. Do not wave your power stick around as if upper management is better than everyone. Company success is a team effort; leaders ensure everyone follows the same standards to meet productive goals.

10. "Nanosys"

I have been working at Nanosys full-time

Pros

Brilliant people, novel and highly marketable product for the display industry

Cons

As a base material supplier, business model puts very heavy reliance of success in supply chain partners.

Advice to Management

Broaden the supply chain partners to create a competitive landscape and give customers more options.