NantWorks Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Patrick Soon-Shiong, M.D.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Vibrant and dynamic scientific culture."

I have been working at NantWorks full-time

Pros

Modern campus in Culver City. Trendy neighborhood. Well funded R&D. Very smart scientists across diverse disciplines. Diverse portfolio of technologies. Definitely not a "one trick pony" which mitigates risk. Competitive compensation/benefits/vacation seems to motivate workers to arrive early and stay late regularly on their own accord. Some days I almost want to jokingly tell my co-workers, "Hey, you're not an academic post-doc anymore.
     You don't have work 50-60 hours a week." But there's no getting in the way of passionate scientists who are on a mission to cure cancer. When you love your work and feel like you're always just one experiment away from a breakthrough, those long days don't feel like work at all. Especially if you're paid well to do it.

Cons

Cross-functional collaborations can be tricky since the Nant companies are spread out among different campuses across the country. But scientists are empowered to be resourceful in order to get things done in creative ways. Construction at the Culver City headquarters might help consolidate some of the great Nant talent into one central location. This is not a fault of the organization. Property is just hard to come buy in Culver City.

Advice to Management

Make sure the salary/bonus/equity stays competitive. Immuno-oncology opportunities in the Los Angeles area is growing rapidly. It would be a shame if our best workers get poached by competitors as huge amounts of funding continue to pour into the field. Also, get ready to add necessary infrastructure/personnel when we start sending internally discovered drugs into the development pipeline.

Jul 13, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review! We’ll take your advice into consideration!

2. "I am proud to work at Nant!"

Current Employee - Director, Quality Systems in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director, Quality Systems in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Collaborative Environment
    Rapid Growth
    Innovation
    Teamwork
    Patient-Centric
    Employee Focused
    Humanitarian Mission

Cons

Rapid growth can mean busy times, however, leadership is very supportive of our efforts and provide the support we need to succeed. Employees possess a high regard for the philosophy of the "Nant" entities and therefore are committed to the mission. The culture is positive and supportive, the values are clear.

3. "Awesome Place to Work"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

State of the art environment, Competitive Salary/Benefits/Time Off, and warm environment of hard working colleagues. Great location in Down Town Culver

Cons

The office is laid back, no complaints.

Advice to Management

No Complaints

"Great Mission; Lacking Trust & Transparency"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission, the CEO's commitment and fervent dedication to the mission and overall company potential is great.

Cons

Lack of trust, lack of transparency, lack of professionalism, lack of resources for employees

Advice to Management

The CEO should relinquish control and empower employees to do their positions. The company should practice communicating what is going on within the various companies rather than holding a culture of intimidation and secrecy and questioning why individuals would want to know information.

5. "Not the greatest place"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time

Pros

Explosure to many things as everything is always changing (good or bad thing)

Cons

-Unorganized and chaotic
    -Majority decisions made without any feedback from employees that do the work day to day, in turn making our jobs very inefficient
    -Too many decisions made at the C Level micromanaging Managers level and not letting them make the decisions that they understand much better
    -Hiring often seems in the wrong roles and not where help is needed

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your employees feedback instead of just saying that you.

Offer career advancement. There little to none.

Jun 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for voicing your concerns and making suggestions. This is very important to us. We are actively trying to improve in the areas you mentioned and have implemented leadership training to help... More

6. "Exciting company- you should explore it!"

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NantBio is a really exciting company to work for and is extremely well funded. It's changing the landscape of immuno-oncology, and it's truly rewarding to know that the work we do is contributing to cancer research and hopefully a cure! The building and campus is beautiful! The facilities team is the best I've ever experienced in a corporate setting. Our work space is immaculate, modern and very secure. It's a joy to come here every day. We're also in a neighborhood full of great restaurants and we have a food truck on campus on Fridays.

Cons

The structure may seem confusing once you get here, but it doesn't take long to grasp. You'll need to be a fast paced person, flexible and able to adapt to change.

Advice to Management

Communication is key at every level.

Jun 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

We’re so glad you enjoy being here and we work hard every day to maintain that. We agree, as we grow communication is extremely important and will keep that in mind in the future! Thank you!

7. "Great company with room for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company mission to cure cancer-major pro.
    If you work hard, you get noticed and rewarded. Company is certainly trying to increase the perks by adding an equity plan, performance management review with bonus, food trucks, on site carwash and dry cleaning.
    Medical benefits are excellent
    You get to work amongst some of the smartest scientist and doctors
    Modern office space
    Room for growth in most positions

Cons

Start ups aren't perfect and turn over is high, but company and HR acknowledge this and are working hard to fix.

Jun 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for acknowledging the hard work our teams are putting in to try to improve the culture at NantWorks! Your opinion is important and helps us to improve!

8. "Innovative, Fast-Paced Research in a Supportive Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Research is interesting and plentiful
    - Great work/life balance motivates scientists and engineers to produce quality results
    - Work feels meaningful and impactful
    - Value is placed on both independent and collaborative work

Cons

- There seems to be slight disorganization when it comes to infrastructure and IT issues, which can lead to some minor frustration
    - The new employee on-boarding process can be disorganized and slow, leading to delays in getting started

Advice to Management

- Streamline hiring and on-boarding to prevent delays and confusion when new employees are getting started

Jun 7, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are continuously evaluating our processes to become more streamlined. As a new associate, our goal is to have your onboarding be a positive experience and for you to... More

9. "Great company for scientists!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Primary focus is on doing great science
    Lots of intellectual freedom
    Motivated and extremely smart co-workers
    A lot of exciting collaborative projects ongoing

Cons

Employees must be very self-directed to thrive

Jun 9, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

No doubt, being a self-starter and having initiative is key here! Thank you for being a part of it!

10. "Exciting work on important topics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at NantWorks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a scientist, I'm truly excited by the type, quantity, and quality of data being generated here for research and for doctors and patients. The company supports a good work/life balance, and is protective of their employees. We have a daily impact on the care of people with cancer.

Cons

Not all infrastructure seems to be in place yet; this makes some projects feel a bit hectic.

Advice to Management

Increase hiring and get the proper infrastructure in place.

Jul 13, 2017 – Sr Director of HR

We appreciate your incite! Ultimately, our people are our most important asset, so your opinion matters greatly. We will continue to focus on building up our teams to support the great work taking... More