Nasdaq Reviews | Glassdoor

Adena Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Work environment"

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Good work life balance. No pressure to sit late.

Cons

Too many roadblocks to innovation. No one makes quick decisions. Chain of command too long for any decision making. Not a startup culture at all. Engineers are at the bottom of food chain. Product and PM rule.

Advice to Management

Focus more on engineering and innovation.

"Sales"

Pros

Great place for college grad. Travel and great learning environment for someone with very little experience. Incredible vista from office floor and fresh fruit every day!

Cons

Relentless hours, tedious time consuming manual requests and little recognition for hard work. Micromanaging to the hilt and beyond! If you hit quota one month then Miss by 5% look out!

Advice to Management

Figure out what works and make commission fair to all

"Ok company"

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Good benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Micro management and average pay

Advice to Management

Provide more growth opportunities and cross-functional learning

"Tough place to succeed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Smart people and good benefits

Cons

Narrow minded, micromanagement and want you to do their way despite them saying they want change.

Advice to Management

Get real. Come down from the Ivy tower.

"Your typical bureaucratic financial company"

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great local team to work with

Cons

Company is only interested in financials and loses the human aspect in the process.

Advice to Management

Invest more in employee engagement and satisfaction

6. "High stress environment with little support"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rockville, MD
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Rockville, MD

I worked at Nasdaq as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-creative co-workers who follow through on execution
    -crisis management was very well organized, very transparent, and collaborative

Cons

-isolated office location
    -high stress environment, everything is a priority and needs to be done immediately, leadership does not push cohesive goals, each business unit and team has unique goals that they feel are priorities
    -no support or ability to push back on projects you disagree with or cannot produce in a timely manner
    -very little cohesive firmwide strategy

"Stay away from their HR area"

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you can make some good friends with colleagues because it's an "us against them" environment. Decent benefits and vesting if you can make it that long

Cons

Middle to upper management in for themselves only, will use you until you become any kind of threat to them. 90% of employees from 2015 are gone now, almost no one makes it more than three years there, very high pressure and expectations.

Advice to Management

Clean house with mid to upper management so the actual workers can do a good job instead of CYA and worrying about being replaced

"Great people but management problem at Corp Services"

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Great talented people, great office location

Cons

Bad internal communication, numerous stuff changes, management does not seem to have long term strategy for core IR products

Advice to Management

Bring in more new people to Corp Services management

"not as good as the name sounds"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

flexible working hours, provide family package for private health fund.
    most of the people are friendly and polite.

Cons

#1 NASDAQ don't like to support or encourage employees to take any external training programs. I have never got any technical training from the company after more than 5 years service. the only training you will get here is how the current products work and how they are built.

#2 They have yearly salary review but nothing is really being reviewed. You take more and more responsibilities along the years, but every year you will only get the standard pay rise which buys you 1 coffee per month. Well it does depend on your position and how important you are to the company. For the Sydney office, some important people(mostly management people) get paid pretty well including all middle level management team. but for normal engineers who probably do the most dev work, the salary is much lower than the market.
    #3 It is very hard to get any budget/resource for improving developers' productivities. For example, it is hard to get approved to get tools we need to improve CI/CD, version control, building tools etc. as long as it is not directly linked to company's yearly GOALs, it is very hard to get approved.
    #4 Some early 90s technologies are still the main stream in NASDAQ SYD. management are not motivated to refresh it since that probably doesn't improve the bonus and it always comes with risk of losing their jobs.

#5 Different teams will point fingers at each other when things go wrong. Sometimes some people can go very aggressive.

#6 As engineers, you won't be trusted unless you showcased you are absolutely a genius to the management or you are being good friend to management.

Advice to Management

I hear a lot from the HR that NASDAQ management team and HR have been working hard to hear the feedback from employees to improve the process and everything. However during the years, I could not feel anything changed. I will be very surprised if any of above "cons" is not a known fact to anyone of the SYDNEY management team. Therefore, do something to change that. Maybe start with hiring some manager who really consider employees are valuable assets to the business

"I worked in Corporate Solutions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and high quality devices, equipment and software. Generous annual bonus. Good people and solid teamwork environment.

Cons

Management was a mess. Many of the higher ups left or were asked to leave after an acquisition. I think I had 4 different managers in less than a year because of restructuring and team changes. I had one manager who had no idea what I did or how I did it. The best people to work with got smart and found other jobs, including me. Long work hours expected. No clear career path options. Lots of office politics.

Advice to Management

Figure it out and get some stability