Nasdaq Reviews | Glassdoor

Nasdaq CEO Adena Friedman
Adena Friedman
1 Rating

Cons

"Stay away from their HR area"

Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you can make some good friends with colleagues because it's an "us against them" environment. Decent benefits and vesting if you can make it that long

Cons

Middle to upper management in for themselves only, will use you until you become any kind of threat to them. 90% of employees from 2015 are gone now, almost no one makes it more than three years there, very high pressure and expectations.

Advice to Management

Clean house with mid to upper management so the actual workers can do a good job instead of CYA and worrying about being replaced

2. "Great people but management problem at Corp Services"

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Great talented people, great office location

Cons

Bad internal communication, numerous stuff changes, management does not seem to have long term strategy for core IR products

Advice to Management

Bring in more new people to Corp Services management

"not as good as the name sounds"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Pros

flexible working hours, provide family package for private health fund.
    most of the people are friendly and polite.

Cons

#1 NASDAQ don't like to support or encourage employees to take any external training programs. I have never got any technical training from the company after more than 5 years service. the only training you will get here is how the current products work and how they are built.

#2 They have yearly salary review but nothing is really being reviewed. You take more and more responsibilities along the years, but every year you will only get the standard pay rise which buys you 1 coffee per month. Well it does depend on your position and how important you are to the company. For the Sydney office, some important people(mostly management people) get paid pretty well including all middle level management team. but for normal engineers who probably do the most dev work, the salary is much lower than the market.
    #3 It is very hard to get any budget/resource for improving developers' productivities. For example, it is hard to get approved to get tools we need to improve CI/CD, version control, building tools etc. as long as it is not directly linked to company's yearly GOALs, it is very hard to get approved.
    #4 Some early 90s technologies are still the main stream in NASDAQ SYD. management are not motivated to refresh it since that probably doesn't improve the bonus and it always comes with risk of losing their jobs.

#5 Different teams will point fingers at each other when things go wrong. Sometimes some people can go very aggressive.

#6 As engineers, you won't be trusted unless you showcased you are absolutely a genius to the management or you are being good friend to management.

Advice to Management

I hear a lot from the HR that NASDAQ management team and HR have been working hard to hear the feedback from employees to improve the process and everything. However during the years, I could not feel anything changed. I will be very surprised if any of above "cons" is not a known fact to anyone of the SYDNEY management team. Therefore, do something to change that. Maybe start with hiring some manager who really consider employees are valuable assets to the business

"I worked in Corporate Solutions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and high quality devices, equipment and software. Generous annual bonus. Good people and solid teamwork environment.

Cons

Management was a mess. Many of the higher ups left or were asked to leave after an acquisition. I think I had 4 different managers in less than a year because of restructuring and team changes. I had one manager who had no idea what I did or how I did it. The best people to work with got smart and found other jobs, including me. Long work hours expected. No clear career path options. Lots of office politics.

Advice to Management

Figure it out and get some stability

"Need to move into the 21st Century"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Successful company with smart Senior Leadership. Lots of potential (if you are given the chance) pay is decent and great health benefits. Hire good people. Solid successful company. Spends money wisely if not a bit too frugally.

Cons

Doesn't have the infrastructure in place to support their continued growth. Working on it but not there yet. Doggy dog "old school hierarchical culture ". Highly competitive-don't encourage team work there is a lot of "I" and not enough "we". Most of the. VP group ( EVP, AVP, SVP AND VP) always looking to point out each other's deficiencies or their departments perceived errors or mistakes. Runs too lean and proud of it. Everything in writing to cover themselves. Too much paperwork and back and forth to get things done.

Advice to Management

Come down from the ivory tower and get real. Put aside your competitiveness between departments. Allow the talented people you hire to do their jobs. Stop spinning our wheels. Also, have a less impersonal onboardimg process. Streamline processes for your shared services team., stop offshoring jobs, hire your contractors as employees. Give more time off.

"So glad to be out of there!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits such as HCF Health Insurance top family cover, extra superannuation, bonus plan & equity, plus discounted purchasing of shares. Regular social events. Great location by Sydney Harbour. Some nice & competent staff.

Cons

I got really bad pay for the amount of experience that I had, my skills and my qualifications, and the responsibility that I had. I worked in the Corporate Solutions part of the business. A lot of management are on huge salaries, even the sales team get huge commissions and salaries. Totally hamstrung by a lack of resources and no budget. A lot of talentless overpaid clueless lazy people in senior management roles. Some dishonest and incompetent staff. A lot of backstabbing and greasing up to senior management by certain people to get promoted, and greasing to secure their own roles in the company at the expense of others. Staff drinking too much at work functions or at lunch and acting inappropriately. A lot of people doing the bare minimum in their role. A lot hoping for redundancy. A lot of useless people brought across from Thomson Reuters. One guy who was brought over from the US to increase sales of one product - Thomson ONE IR did the exact opposite- in the time he was in Sydney sales dipped 25% of that product but yet he got wait for it - promoted?! He was also instrumental in getting several people made redundant who were working a lot harder than him - he used to watch US sport on his computer in work time!?! He did next to no work. Total lack of support for the Australian market, the company is totally focussed on the US. I was lied to and told I was going to get a pay rise and promoted by management and HR. I was also lured into a meeting with HR to be made redundant with a lie - a fellow employee - the same guy mentioned above - made out he wanted to have a meeting with me (he was even carrying a document) and led me into an office where HR were waiting - totally dishonest! HR could have just invited me to a meeting. No chance for career advancement in Australia - a dead end job. Totally underpaid. I found the job and company to be depressing and frustrating. So glad to be out of there! I was glad to leave and had been looking at leaving for some time and was glad to do so with a redundancy package. I'm so much happier now and earning a lot more money and surrounded by competent knowledgeable staff.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the talentless lazy managers who are all talk with no idea about strategy or delivering results and lack the skills and qualifications in the relevant areas, and who try and lay the blame on others. Local HR are incompetent and dishonest and need replacing - especially management.

"Getting there"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nasdaq (More than a year)

Pros

The management in the Chicago office works so hard to support their teams through a very difficult acquisition. People in the office are what make the organization. They are hardworking and friendly.

Cons

Everyone is spread too thin. Their processes are not streamlined and it takes the focus away from selling. Industry is dying and the market is oversaturated. They need to understand what their competitors are doing and get ahead of the game. Marketing, marketing, marketing. The upper management is very out of touch with the day to day problems.

Advice to Management

Understand the day to day issues and fix it. It should be the number priority. This will shift the focus back to selling!

"Now Thomson"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

NASDAQ has good employee benefits including stock and option grants although those are heavily tilted to senior management.

Cons

NASDAQ acquired Thomson's IR unit in 2013. NASDAQ pretty much turned over its entire corporate solutions group and culture to the Thomson people, and gave and continues to give opportunities and advancement to the Thomson alum. Meanwhile the core IR unit has consistently seen revenues and product quality decline - this is masked in earnings reports by NASDAQ's acquisition of other companies in the space and allocation of those revenue to the market technology/corporate solutions unit.

Advice to Management

Good luck with that.

10. "Steady decline in available work..."

Former Freelancer - Contractor in New York, NY
    Former Freelancer - Contractor in New York, NY

I worked at Nasdaq (More than 5 years)

Pros

Name recognition, former glory days.

Cons

Some of it's businesses are failing or losing ground. Lack of leadership.

Advice to Management

Spin off businesses that are draining your bottom line.

"Entry Level"

Pros

Good Benefits and Various locations

Cons

Management does not care for the well being of their employees

Advice to Management

Take time to look who your managers are.