Nasdaq Reviews | Glassdoor

Nasdaq Reviews

Updated June 20, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work life balance is also good as I was told often that I shouldn't bring woke home (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, and lots of opportunities to grow your career (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance with support for global clients (in 10 reviews)

• Shifting priorities at division senior management level (in 19 reviews)

"A leaderless hodgepodge of soulless technologists."

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Good benefits. Free coffee. If you prefer to spend your workday in complete silence without interacting with another human being this is the place for you.

Cons

Your coworkers are unethical hackers. There is no upward mobility because there is nothing to move up to. This is a hands off executive team that purchases small tech companies. The companies either use and abuse the brand to grow, or end up in the waste bin. This is where careers go to die.

Advice to Management

Keep searching the globe for countries who are dumb enough to buy your software. That's your niche. If you were any good at technology, you'd be in Silicon Valley, and if you were any good at finance you'd have more than a small data processing service. Your listing business should dry up quickly once customers figure out the scam. So keep selling to the dumb countries, there's tons of money there for people with low moral standards like you to feast on.

"The name is very well-known but this was the worst career choice I've ever made."

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very well-known and is easily recognizable.
    There were a lot of benefits that came with the job (because of the connections to major public companies, we also received discounts and perks at these places).
    I loved my coworkers and I liked my manager on a personal level.
    They have locations across the world and you can try to transfer to other countries as part of a 'work abroad' program.

Cons

I was promised many things (advancement opportunities, job expectations, total salary, lowest commission possible, etc) in the interview process and none of it turned out to be true. (This also happened with many other people I worked with- we all ended up leaving MUCH better paying jobs based on these false expectations)
    We were taught all these 'amazing' things about the products I sold but, after talking with real users in the market place, seeing competitors' products, and trying to demo our products, I realized they are some of the worst and are in no way competitive (in quality or price).
    I personally came in with a lot of experience but they offer no support or real training. Because of this, I saw many colleagues who came in with less experience struggle and fail miserably as they tried to figure things out on their own.
    The overall morals that are held and encouraged by management are atrocious. You are fully expected to try to pull the wool over clients' eyes to make any sell and are supported if you get caught stealing deals from colleagues. The two things I heard most often were "Ask for forgiveness, not for permission," and "I don't have morals when it comes to business."
    I see no strength in the company itself- they constantly just buy up-and-coming start-ups, sell said start-ups products without improving or growing said start-up's products, until these products are no longer competitive and eventually die. They believe they will be successful completely based on the notion of "It will sell because we're NASDAQ," albeit my previous statement and the fact that NASDAQ is only really known in the listings market.

Advice to Management

Create a better internal culture.
    Hold people accountable for not just numbers but for the rules set forth by the company.
    Organize on-boarding training that is job or department specific.
    Increase your dev department so that you can improve and grow your technology (you do call yourself a "global technology" company after all) not just support issues that arise with the existing systems you have acquired.

"Company in search of a new profitable core business......"

Former Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in New York, NY

Pros

The company has a recognizable name.
    I had many dedicated and smart colleagues.
    The benefits, pay and vacation are adequate.

Cons

This is a company in search of a new core business, the basic exchange is not a profitable enterprise anymore. They keep buying new companies trying to build a solid revenue stream and have IMO made a number of mistakes. This has created a constantly shifting landscape with many rounds of scaling back.
    It can be a nerve wracking environment where lines of loyalty change.
    Change can be good but here it seems desperate.

Advice to Management

The culture of constant mergers, overlaps, and cutbacks needs to decrease.
    When you purchase companies there needs to be more consideration of the personal that come with those purchases.

"Low morale"

Former Employee - Broadcast Technician IV in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Broadcast Technician IV in New York, NY

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-pay is OK (50-80K), not great but better than some places
    -benefits are good, Cigna is just OK not great
    -bonus of about 5% yearly
    -restricted stock awards, if you can hang in there for at least 3 yrs

Cons

-no chance for advancement, the department is minuscule.
    -the control room is basically a closet, approx 100 square feet for 4-8 people to operate
    -the place is a fire hazard with outlet strips plugged into outlet strips plugged into more outlet strips
    -the heat does not work when the outside temps fall into the teens and below(see pictures)
    -they pile so much work on you that the chance for mistakes in a complex environment is very high.
    -mistakes are not tolerated and you will be terminated
    -intimidation/threats from management to be terminated (rule by fear)
    -mgmt aren't broadcasting pros and don't understand the limitations/capabilities of a broadcast studio
    -"make it happen or we will find someone who can"
    -nepotism
    -higher paid employees can be singled out for termination as an excuse to save money

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and lighten up, maybe you should point the finger at the yourselves - those who botched the Facebook IPO and missed out on Alibaba.

"Terrible corporate culture; awful place to work"

I have been working at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

The health benefits are as to be expected for a company as large as this.

The name Nasdaq on your resume.

Reading THIS review and realizing you can get better experience elsewhere.

Nothing else.

Cons

Where to begin? NEPOTISM reigns supreme in a place with the worst cut throat corporate atmosphere I've ever experienced. It's all about who you know, they could care less about what you know.

You can expect 6 month contract consultants to get better treatment and some sort of cross training, you can also expect them to get the benefit of human decency and be told months in advance when they will be let go.

As a full time employee you can expect incompetent managers who backdoor their personal friends in through shipping and internships to be promoted directly to lead positions with zero experience, you can also expect these people to train the new contractors, only to have these contractors held accountable for their lack of proper training.

You can expect directors who could care less about their responsibilities, only to focus on what matters to them.

You can expect an extreme cut throat team experience, to the point where there are Matchbox buses with the Nasdaq name on them because "throwing someone under the bus" is a daily occurrence (This is true, it is celebrated so much at this company these toy buses do exist).

You can expect to show up for work on a Monday, to be instantly let go for weak reasons that don't pan out, that's what happens though when you've just hired your best friends brother (whom you've also hired and made a lead position), and need to make room for another "lead."

Advice to Management

Gut the management, get people who are managers, not opportunistic pipsqueaks who have managed to get by by how brown their noses are. Being good at paperwork doesn't make you a boss.

"Product owner"

Former Employee - Program Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Program Lead in Boston, MA

I worked at Nasdaq (More than 3 years)

Pros

compensation compensation compensation compensation, compensation
    medical benefits, stocks, flexbility based on mood, flexibility based on mood
    office with bad infrastructure,

Cons

Long work hours
    Management with out any direction
    Products sucks
    Confusion on what business want

Advice to Management

Attend basic school of mgmt

"Bad culture"

Pros

Smart people, interesting work, great brand

Cons

Culture of blame and fear. Top management self protective and self-interested.

"Worst management ever"

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

No pros. Not even salary. You are constantly overworked and underpaid,

Cons

They shift your focus and internal departments every couple months, this helps move money around so quarterly reports look better. They know all the loopholes with mandates and how to treat employees. It's sickening. Offices are cramped and cheap too.

Advice to Management

If you don't want feedback at least try not treating your employees like they're disposable.

"Service Account Manager"

Former Employee - Service Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Nasdaq full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and bonus. Average benefits and decent vacation time.

Cons

Poor management, more work than you can ever do, terrible work/life balance structure, miserable employees.

Advice to Management

Lean organizations breed overworked employees who will not tolerate it.

Nasdaq Response

Nov 18, 2015 – VP Global Talent Management

Thank you for your feedback. We take employee feedback very seriously and recommend for you to speak with your HR Business Partner and encourage you to take the Nasdaq Employee Engagement Survey ... More

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Nasdaq full-time

Pros

Exemplary cost cutting skills have allowed NDAQ to hide terrible results for years and still produce EPS gains.

Cons

Leadership is completely out of touch yet mandates strategy and is surprised by poor results. C Suite is running out of people to fire and will soon be the only ones left to blame. Company is spread wide and thin with dated and poor technology across the board. Valid HR complaints from accomplished women are swept away as performance trumps all at NDAQ.