Nasty Gal Reviews

Updated Sep 28, 2021

Found 92 of over 101 reviews

2.6
Nasty Gal CEO Sheree Waterson (no image)
Sheree Waterson

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people here are amazing!(in 7 reviews)
  • "Everyone is so nice and works together really well.(in 3 reviews)
  • "The offices are located in a nice part of downtown.(in 3 reviews)
  • "The office is beautiful but the atmosphere is toxic and trumps the positive.(in 3 reviews)
  • "I learned a lot while here and having this on my resume reflects well with potential employers(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place to work and learn

May 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

great place to hone your craft, great people

Cons

poor direction by upper management

2. 3.0

Nasty Gal Retail Review

Aug 9, 2021 - Muse
    Business Outlook

Pros

- very stylish atmosphere - ability to be creative with sales - learned how to start a client book - great discount

Cons

- too big of a store to give personalized shopping experience - change of management too often - hard to grow in company - went bankrupt and got bought out so we all had to find new jobs

3. 3.0

Office Coordinator

Aug 8, 2021 - Office Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Had great people to work with and great energy. The people made it a place where it felt comfortable.

Cons

Salary, not much room to grow financially. Not a place where there is much growth nor stability.

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Didn’t pay well and got laid off

Sep 28, 2021 - Customer Care Muse in Shepherdsville, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discount was nice Friendly co workers

Cons

The company was bought out and we all got laid off

5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

nastygal

Mar 29, 2021 - Warehouse Associate in Shepherdsville, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

good core environment in the begining

Cons

went out of business after 6 years

6. 2.0

Not good

Jun 17, 2020 - Marketing Coordinator
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learning opportunity but not long term

Cons

Not long term and bad work environment

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

My best career growth experience thus far...

Aug 9, 2016 - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoy working at Nasty Gal for a lot of reasons. So I'll list a few below: 1. You get to really have an impact on the future of the company. If you're a do-er and not a complainer you can make it really far here. 2. The people are extremely passionate. I don't think I've ever worked anywhere where everyone is so obsessed with the brand and working so hard to make it successful. 3. I've been able to work on really cool projects that I know people at my level at other companies have not been able to touch. 4. After a few years of being here (and a few lay offs) it feels like the company is turning around and that's really exciting to see. 5. If you work hard you will be rewarded financially. You just need to prove yourself.

Cons

1. Pretty young employees so sometimes you feel like you might be at the same level as your manager since a lot of them have no management experience. HR offers coaching workshops so it'd be cool to see more of those. 2. The culture isn't for everyone. You have to be prepared to work very very hard and be a problem solver. It is very rewarding. 3. Overwhelming at times because of processes being clunky and still in progress, but we are still in growth mode and trying to figure things out. I figure most startups are like this so I'm not too worried about it and I enjoy being part of the solution.

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun for a while until the company ran itself into the ground.

Dec 2, 2019 - Merchandise Planner in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun cool product, inspiring people to work with, casual atmosphere. I enjoyed working with my team and made some great friends here.

Cons

Opening stores was a nightmare - so much money spent with such little foundational infrastructure in place.

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Really tried

Jul 21, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great location in DTLA, walking distance to the metro, great bars, restaurants and a farmers market. The constant barrage of PR Sophia and this company gets is great in that it's nice to tell people you worked here. Company activities and perks like beer/wine, happy hours, and the 40% off merchandise were nice. The very few friendly, sweet, hard-working, helpful and talented employees.

Cons

If you're lucky, you'll either get to work with passionate, friendly and motivated group of people or work with groups of people who are very into their own cliques, too cool to help you accomplish team goals, and are extremely catty/manipulative. I unfortunately got lumped in with the latter and it made for an all around toxic environment. After a few months there, I still had a hard time fitting in. Although I worked with a lot of talented and passionate individuals, the lack of bonds I've formed in the company, as well a the lack of mentorship and guidance made me extremely unmotivated to do my job well. It's hard excelling in your job when you spend time in meetings with individuals that do nothing but talk sh-t about their other co-workers, throw others under the bus, refuse to take ownership over their mistakes, endlessly whine, are too lazy to help contribute to team efforts, and won't comply to agreed upon improvement tactics, especially when those individuals are the 'favorites' or are there due to nepotism. It's a shame because although there were really cool projects to work on and lots of interesting problems to solve, the toxic environment made it very unbearable.

15 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Lets just say I'm glad I didn't buy my stock options.

Aug 26, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Dog friendly, awesome co-workers, sample sales, cool brand, and there used to be parties and booze. The company culture was really fun when I started and it was exciting to be a part of something, which at the time, was growing quickly from a start-up. Made a lot of great connections.

Cons

I noticed all the really awesome, talented, smart people started leaving one by one and it's no wonder why. Pay is well under industry standard and there are hardly any raises or promotions. I enjoyed going to work everyday until the new CFO and CEO came aboard. They are tyrants. To them everyone is replaceable; anyone with a different opinion than them is let go. I loved my manager and I met several on the upper management team who were great, but no one ever stayed long. Every time someone with any kind of power joined I had high hopes they would be able to fix the mess of brokenness but they went running out the door before long. Morale just kept sinking. Sophia is very naive. I commend her for her story but she's way out of her league and way out of touch with her company. I understand from a business standpoint how some layoffs/ restructuring might be called for but they were really shady about it. Friends would always ask me to refer them for jobs because it sounded so glamorous, but I refused to subject anyone I like to the horrible place that is Nasty Gal.

24 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 92 Reviews

Nasty Gal Reviews FAQs

Nasty Gal has an overall rating of 2.6 out of 5, based on over 101 reviews left anonymously by employees. 32% of employees would recommend working at Nasty Gal to a friend and 28% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Nasty Gal employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Nasty Gal. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

32% of Nasty Gal employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Nasty Gal 2.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 2.5 for culture and values and 2.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Nasty Gal to be benefits, workplace, coworkers and the cons to be career development, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Nasty Gal Job Seekers