Nasty Gal Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 82 reviews

2.7
Nasty Gal CEO Sheree Waterson
Sheree Waterson
Pros
  • "Everyone has been mentioning beer and wine parties(in 6 reviews)

• "The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management didn't know what they were doing(in 12 reviews)

• "No one on my team got promoted in over a year and positions above us got filled with unqualified outside hires(in 6 reviews)

1. Great place to work and learn

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

great place to hone your craft, great people

Cons

poor direction by upper management

2. Had a Great Boss

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

Lots of smart, cool creatives to work with and learn from. I had a great boss.

Cons

Difficult making more money there.

• Great or poor experience depending on department

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

I loved my boss and learned a lot from her, I was always included in higher up meetings even as a junior starting out just so that I could learn, get the feel of things, etc. I felt like my opinion was valued.

Cons

This seems to be unique to my team in many ways and more an attribute to my specific boss, not the company as a whole. Overall, the company was often disorganized and suffered poorly with cross-department communications mishaps and mishandlings.

• I was actually only employed here until 2012 when they moved to Yucky Kentucky

Former Employee - Shipper in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Discount on cheaply made Forever 21 type b.s. Free shoes once a month Some cool parties when Sophia was still in charge

Cons

Nerds who think they're cool because they are "on trend" (which essentially means you have no style and cannot think for yourself) ran this place into the ground. Upper management is stupid as all get out- unqualified and delusional. LAME culture of vapid, horribly dressed chicks believing they're actual style icons make it a horrendous place for anyone who really is into fashion and actually has style.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your asses- you're not at all as rad as you pretend you are.

Disappointed in Upper Management

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Coworkers made the place nice to work at

Cons

Upper management didn't know what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Put egos to the side in order to hear valuable feedback and make the right decisions for the company.

Good beginnings, awful ending.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Access to plenty of software and resources

Cons

High ups in HQ made very strange choices, often never taking any feedback from anyone under them, leading to constant conflicts.

Advice to Management

Just because you change your title every few months to make yourself seem higher up, doesn't mean you should ignore those that work under you.

Don't be fooled.

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

Nasty Gal has an amazing 401(k) match, paid parking, and industry standard to slightly above industry standard pay (at least in my department). The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly. And obviously the product is killer.

Cons

Where do I even begin. I was sucked into the "Girlboss" brand by Sophia's unconventional success story, like many others. This story is, unfortunately, a meaningless facade. The issues begin firstly with the company continuing to refer to itself as a "start-up" when in reality it has been in operation for over 10 years. By definition, this company is not a start-up and it is an excuse that management continues to fall...

Advice to Management

Maybe it is time to incorporate more bottoms-up feedback/input on decisions. This would foster innovation, boost employee morale and retention, and allow leaders to receive insights from the trenches on whether internal processes will pan out or not. It's important for the product workforce to annualize their businesses and know them extremely well. You won't get that with high turnover. Nasty Gal has relied far too long...

Designer

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

The people you work with.

Cons

Human Resource department and pay.

Creative

Former Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

At one time..... Sexy, fun, and energetic brand. Evangelical customer base. Abundant room for creative exploration. Unique and compelling vision of the founder. Forward thinking on all creative fronts.

Cons

Unskilled high and mid-level leadership. The company lost sight of the customer and core brand vision. A lot of employee turmoil causing poor culture. The brand and company mission has lost its way.

Advice to Management

Figure out the brand. Treat your employees better. Cut the umbilical chord with the founder and creatively move on. Fire top heavy nonsense and restructure.

Worst job I've ever had

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time for more than a year

Pros

I was receiving the same pay I was earning working in retail management. Not necessarily good, but notable I guess. Training was thorough for the most part, but still a very learn-as-you-go job.

Cons

Where to begin? 1. Understaffing- they were constantly spreading the people they had way too thin, to the point where they'd issue "mandatory overtime" for weeks at a time. They would even "borrow" people from customer service to work in the warehouse next door at little notice. In fact- you would be written up for not having appropriate shoes available if you were asked to work in the warehouse. We were also expected...

Advice to Management

I don't even know what to say, get it together.

Found 82 reviews