Nasty Gal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Sheree Waterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly (in 7 reviews)

• great place to hone your craft, great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't know what they were doing (in 12 reviews)

• To them everyone is replaceable; anyone with a different opinion than them is let go (in 3 reviews)

"Best job I've ever had!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone here is super cool, we all get along well, and work hard. Everyone works hard toward a common goal - building something that's never been built before. The CEO & Head of HR are super invested in the company and most of all, the people. They talk about wanting it to be the best place to work ever, and so far for me, it has been.

Cons

There is a lot of change all the time - nothing ever seems permanent, which not everyone can handle well, but it can be exciting and it definitely keeps things interesting.

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is one of the best places I've ever worked. The "no a-holes" policy is for real and so is our leadership. Everyone is so nice and works together really well. I've been here almost two years and as with any start-up there have been some ups and downs, but nothing that ever made it difficult to be here. Such a great culture. I hope I never have to leave!

Cons

Honestly can't think of any...

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We're all proud to call you our managers.

"I Love My Job!"

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

The offices are gorgeous. Employees have a say in how this office operates, which is really cool. Everyone is super stylish and super nice! The CEO is great -- I wish I saw her more though but her book and philosophy are awesome.

Cons

There's a lot of hard work to be done. I wish benefits were a little better but I think they'll get there.

Advice to Management

Let us go early on Fridays!

4. "Exciting Place To Be!"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office space, training programs to develop people to further their careers, yoga and pop physique classes, free snacks, employee discount, dog-friendly. Overall Nasty Gal is a growing company with a lot of opportunity for those people who are willing to work hard.

Cons

Fast paced environment which I think is ok and keeps you on your toes. The company is transitioning from a smaller company to a larger one so there will be people who don't like working for a bigger company with process in place.

Advice to Management

Ditto on the early close for Fridays!

"Great place to work....truly what you make it!"

Current Employee - Decline in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Decline in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture with the freedom to have input, and have an impact on the growth of the Company. While others seem to want to either be jealous of the CEO, I found the environment to be very open, friendly and positive. As in any workplace, attitude determines altitude!

Cons

No challenges..other than what you create! Parking is paid for, beer and wine Fridays, off at 2 during July..c'mon now!

Advice to Management

I love the hands on meetings..truly gives everyone traction and vision of where and how Nasty Gal is headed...go way naysayers!

"Awful, used and abused"

Pros

Snacks, hours, time off, understanding

Cons

Looked over countless times for promotion, basically ousted for no good reason at all after helping basically build the Arleta branc

"Not a bad place to work!"

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work at nasty gal are all young and hip, which makes it fun. You can easily find people to have a beer with. It's easy to maintain a work/balance as the hours aren't too crazy. In the 2 years I worked there I never heard anyone yell, kind of rare in fashion. Really, for me, it's a great place to work. I really enjoyed the lack of structure, it allowed to me to learn and be more independent, really own my work. I think the bad press is unfair, NG is a workplace like any other. It's still a job, but to me it was a really fun place to work.

Cons

In some departments there is a culture of complaining, they need to find a solution to their issues move on to make if a more positive environment.

Advice to Management

Hiring only young, hip people can be intimidating to new hires and feel exclusive. Make sure to make huge efforts in the onboarding process to keep the new people that get hired.

8. "Got Opportunities To Grow"

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

In KY management listens to us, there are plenty of opportunities to grow if you go for it, they dont only look outside the company to promote they actually give current employees a chance.

Cons

we have had a couple of lay offs. sometimes LA treats us like we are not in the same company

Advice to Management

keep listening to us like you are

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Nasty Gal (More than a year)

Pros

I am continually impressed by the caliber of people that are employed by Nasty Gal! Being a full time mom on top of working full time I have had to switch my schedule around multiple times. The management team has been very accommodating and understanding in this regard, always going the extra mile to make sure I am happy with my new schedule.

As far as work environment and work pressure goes, it's really up to you. There is very little downtime that I observe in any of the roles here and that is not a bad thing at all. Our leadership team is inspiring and seem to genuinely care about our advancement and overall happiness so if you put in the work, it will get noticed!

Cons

Very busy, sometimes difficult to manage customer expectations

Advice to Management

Reward and keep the out of the box thinkers for future growth. It is what made Nasty Gal thrive in the past and is vital for the future.

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

The people here are amazing! I've learned sooo much from so many people at Nasty Gal over the years. My team (Engineering) is very close and supportive of each other. We're excited to teach each other new things and help each other solve problems with our different skill sets.

I've always been encouraged to learn more and given the tools I need to succeed. I started out as a Data Analyst but had more fun writing code and wanted to get better at programming. When I told our VP and CTO that I loved to program, they were behind me 100%. Within a week they set me up with everything I needed to learn our webapp's framework. A few months later, they promoted me to Engineering and it will always be the greatest thing that's ever happened in my career.

Someone else said, "Very flexible about schedules" and I have to agree. Our team keeps very different hours. Some of us are night owls, others are early risers, and our Ops team is across the world in Australia. It's a perfect balance because we have people watching and protecting our site around the clock. It's also nice to know that if I'm up late working on something I don't want to put down, I have the support I need from other people on my team, whether I need help reading code I'm not familiar with or I need to get a server up and running, there's always someone available to help.

Our CEO Sheree Waterson, Sophia, and our People & Culture team are super fun. They're always planning fun events and games or corralling us all together for a random celebration. They planned Summer Fridays this year and it's been really awesome. And our parties are always insanely fun.

Our in-house design teams are great to work with. I worked pretty closely with them when I was developing an app for them and made a lot of new friends in the process.

I like the transparency of upper management here. I've always gotten along with the people above me and felt I could approach them about anything. My boss is awesome! He's so positive, approachable, and encouraging. It really makes everyone excited to be a part of what we're doing.

Cons

Sometimes workload can get a little heavy, but as long as you're vocal about how much you're able to take on, the people above you will help you re-prioritize or take things off your plate.