Nasty Gal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Sheree Waterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly (in 7 reviews)

• great place to hone your craft, great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great place to work and learn"

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

great place to hone your craft, great people

Cons

poor direction by upper management

"Nasty Gal is an amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nasty Gal is a phenomenal place to work. I was there for over three years and learned and grew so much in my career. With it's startup feel, you will have the ability to get your hands involved in all different aspects of the company. Your days are not redundant and you don't get stuck in corporate rut. The collaborative and engaging environment makes each day really exciting. The people that work here are awesome and are quick to make friends.

The managers really care about you, listen to you, and want you to grow. They are eager to develop their teams and want everyone to have the ability to pursue their careers at Nasty Gal. The CEO, Sheree makes herself available at all times to all employees. She is totally accessible and listens with open ears. She is a fearless and incredible leader, I personally learned so much from working with her. Her professionalism and grace make her stand out among the rest, while her spunk and charisma make her so enjoyable to be around.

Nasty Gal has some of the best benefits I have ever seen a company offer! They care about your future too! The 401K plan is unbeatable. Some other cool perks, summer Friday's, sample sales, catered lunches, work parties, social events, list goes on...

I highly suggest applying and working at Nasty Gal, it is such a great place to work!

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons, besides my advice to management.

Advice to Management

Communicate more from top-down, it is so important to share as much information and knowledge to everyone on the team in order for everyone to work towards the same goal. If employees can feel in the know and all on the same page, it makes success so much more achievable.

"Unforgettable Working Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Amazing people at all levels of the company!

Our teams here at Nasty Gal have the potential to make this company VERY successful. Excited to see what the future holds for us.

Only workplace I know where EVERY employee is empowered to demonstrate entrepreneurship and have a direct impact on the business despite of job description or generation.

Started temping through an agency and worked my way into getting hired full time.
    I've been given the opportunity to explore and get my hands on several projects with different departments within the company. Great place to work if you are looking to gain A LOT of experience or teach others what you know.

The right fit works HARD without having to be micromanaged and is prepared to perform efficiently both independently AND in a team setting.

-Happy hours with awesome people
    -Summer Fridays (office closes at 2PM)
    -Free parking
    -Popcorn Weds
    -a lot of nearby places to eat and drink

Cons

None so far. Wish sample sales were as exciting for male employees as they are for the Gals :(

Advice to Management

I feel we are on the right path!

Very approachable and as a millennial, I highly appreciate this.

"Agile Ecommerce Company"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer, Applications in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer, Applications in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Power to make a huge difference in a short time
    - Work with people that truly care and watch over their area of concern carefully
    - Work on a cool and exciting, evolving brand
    - Have fun at work, and work hard, but in a balanced way
    - Not corporate or bureaucratic
    - Learn about ecommerce, retail, etc. and be a leader in that space
    - Build and test cool ideas quickly, and have fun doing it
    - Technology architecture is agile and easy to build onto, leader in front end web performance/responsive space

Cons

- No real cons, unless you have a hard time balancing having lots of responsibility and would rather work somewhere more slow-paced.

Advice to Management

Continue to be realistic about project & product management and grow the company at a steady pace.

"Love it here!"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

The people here are amazing! I've learned sooo much from so many people at Nasty Gal over the years. My team (Engineering) is very close and supportive of each other. We're excited to teach each other new things and help each other solve problems with our different skill sets.

I've always been encouraged to learn more and given the tools I need to succeed. I started out as a Data Analyst but had more fun writing code and wanted to get better at programming. When I told our VP and CTO that I loved to program, they were behind me 100%. Within a week they set me up with everything I needed to learn our webapp's framework. A few months later, they promoted me to Engineering and it will always be the greatest thing that's ever happened in my career.

Someone else said, "Very flexible about schedules" and I have to agree. Our team keeps very different hours. Some of us are night owls, others are early risers, and our Ops team is across the world in Australia. It's a perfect balance because we have people watching and protecting our site around the clock. It's also nice to know that if I'm up late working on something I don't want to put down, I have the support I need from other people on my team, whether I need help reading code I'm not familiar with or I need to get a server up and running, there's always someone available to help.

Our CEO Sheree Waterson, Sophia, and our People & Culture team are super fun. They're always planning fun events and games or corralling us all together for a random celebration. They planned Summer Fridays this year and it's been really awesome. And our parties are always insanely fun.

Our in-house design teams are great to work with. I worked pretty closely with them when I was developing an app for them and made a lot of new friends in the process.

I like the transparency of upper management here. I've always gotten along with the people above me and felt I could approach them about anything. My boss is awesome! He's so positive, approachable, and encouraging. It really makes everyone excited to be a part of what we're doing.

Cons

Sometimes workload can get a little heavy, but as long as you're vocal about how much you're able to take on, the people above you will help you re-prioritize or take things off your plate.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Shepherdsville, KY
    Current Employee - Customer Care Agent in Shepherdsville, KY

I have been working at Nasty Gal (More than a year)

Pros

I am continually impressed by the caliber of people that are employed by Nasty Gal! Being a full time mom on top of working full time I have had to switch my schedule around multiple times. The management team has been very accommodating and understanding in this regard, always going the extra mile to make sure I am happy with my new schedule.

As far as work environment and work pressure goes, it's really up to you. There is very little downtime that I observe in any of the roles here and that is not a bad thing at all. Our leadership team is inspiring and seem to genuinely care about our advancement and overall happiness so if you put in the work, it will get noticed!

Cons

Very busy, sometimes difficult to manage customer expectations

Advice to Management

Reward and keep the out of the box thinkers for future growth. It is what made Nasty Gal thrive in the past and is vital for the future.

7. "Got Opportunities To Grow"

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

In KY management listens to us, there are plenty of opportunities to grow if you go for it, they dont only look outside the company to promote they actually give current employees a chance.

Cons

we have had a couple of lay offs. sometimes LA treats us like we are not in the same company

Advice to Management

keep listening to us like you are

"Not a bad place to work!"

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work at nasty gal are all young and hip, which makes it fun. You can easily find people to have a beer with. It's easy to maintain a work/balance as the hours aren't too crazy. In the 2 years I worked there I never heard anyone yell, kind of rare in fashion. Really, for me, it's a great place to work. I really enjoyed the lack of structure, it allowed to me to learn and be more independent, really own my work. I think the bad press is unfair, NG is a workplace like any other. It's still a job, but to me it was a really fun place to work.

Cons

In some departments there is a culture of complaining, they need to find a solution to their issues move on to make if a more positive environment.

Advice to Management

Hiring only young, hip people can be intimidating to new hires and feel exclusive. Make sure to make huge efforts in the onboarding process to keep the new people that get hired.

"Awful, used and abused"

Pros

Snacks, hours, time off, understanding

Cons

Looked over countless times for promotion, basically ousted for no good reason at all after helping basically build the Arleta branc

"Great place to work....truly what you make it!"

Current Employee - Decline in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Decline in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture with the freedom to have input, and have an impact on the growth of the Company. While others seem to want to either be jealous of the CEO, I found the environment to be very open, friendly and positive. As in any workplace, attitude determines altitude!

Cons

No challenges..other than what you create! Parking is paid for, beer and wine Fridays, off at 2 during July..c'mon now!

Advice to Management

I love the hands on meetings..truly gives everyone traction and vision of where and how Nasty Gal is headed...go way naysayers!