Nasty Gal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Sheree Waterson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly (in 7 reviews)

• great place to hone your craft, great people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't know what they were doing (in 12 reviews)

• To them everyone is replaceable; anyone with a different opinion than them is let go (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work and learn"

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

great place to hone your craft, great people

Cons

poor direction by upper management

2. "Disappointed in Upper Management"

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers made the place nice to work at

Cons

Upper management didn't know what they were doing.

Advice to Management

Put egos to the side in order to hear valuable feedback and make the right decisions for the company.

"Good beginnings, awful ending."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access to plenty of software and resources

Cons

High ups in HQ made very strange choices, often never taking any feedback from anyone under them, leading to constant conflicts.

Advice to Management

Just because you change your title every few months to make yourself seem higher up, doesn't mean you should ignore those that work under you.

"Designer"

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

The people you work with.

Cons

Human Resource department and pay.

"Don't be fooled."

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

Nasty Gal has an amazing 401(k) match, paid parking, and industry standard to slightly above industry standard pay (at least in my department). The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly. And obviously the product is killer.

Cons

Where do I even begin. I was sucked into the "Girlboss" brand by Sophia's unconventional success story, like many others. This story is, unfortunately, a meaningless facade. The issues begin firstly with the company continuing to refer to itself as a "start-up" when in reality it has been in operation for over 10 years. By definition, this company is not a start-up and it is an excuse that management continues to fall back on for the lack of strategy, process, and organization that plagues the brand. Secondly, this organization operates in an extremely tops-down fashion, meaning lower-level employees are expected to do as they are told with no associated dialogue. This style is not always ineffective, but in this case it is due to a constant lack of clarity, context, and a track record of outright unprofitable tops-down decisions. Finally, the culture across the board at Nasty Gal is very unfavorable. Training, retention, and employee morale are non-factors. Employees are looked at as disposable minions and are not developed, mentored, or coached properly. Employees are disciplined when they step out of their lanes, which impedes any sort of valid ideas for improvement. Future career paths and career growth within the company are not discussed - what motivation is there for employees to produce? This company essentially values egos and politics more than they do business results and actions.

Advice to Management

Maybe it is time to incorporate more bottoms-up feedback/input on decisions. This would foster innovation, boost employee morale and retention, and allow leaders to receive insights from the trenches on whether internal processes will pan out or not. It's important for the product workforce to annualize their businesses and know them extremely well. You won't get that with high turnover. Nasty Gal has relied far too long and far too heavily on its brand image, thinking that its cult following will sustain growth and shield the business from irresponsible fiscal decisions instead of investing in infrastructure and resources that would allow it to scale. The recent filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy speaks volumes to the mismanagement of this company, and while lower-level employees can continue to take the fall, we all know who is really at fault here.

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was receiving the same pay I was earning working in retail management. Not necessarily good, but notable I guess.

Training was thorough for the most part, but still a very learn-as-you-go job.

Cons

Where to begin?

1. Understaffing- they were constantly spreading the people they had way too thin, to the point where they'd issue "mandatory overtime" for weeks at a time. They would even "borrow" people from customer service to work in the warehouse next door at little notice. In fact- you would be written up for not having appropriate shoes available if you were asked to work in the warehouse. We were also expected to volunteer overtime and answer emails/chat after or before our shifts to "avoid" inevitable overtime, which obviously did nothing and we were still required to work 10 hour shifts involuntarily.

2. Setup for failure: you can teach etiquette, and you can teach patience, but when customers have to wait an hour to speak with you, there is a whole new level of livid hostility. This was due to understaffing. We often received complaints about how long it took for them to be able to speak to a representative, and we would then have to spend the initial 10 minutes of the conversation profusely apologizing. On any given day, I can't remember any more than 3 people taking calls at one time. IF that. We had an egregiously high amount of dropped calls, which bred even more infuriated customers.

3. Shipping- for having a warehouse next door, they've really got to work on interpersonal conversation between what happens in customer service and what's done in the warehouse. There were multiple shipping errors that were not resolved in timely manors, and the quality checking of returns is laughable.

4. Company culture- while I had a handful of agreeable co workers, many people in management were very unavailable and unhelpful.

Advice to Management

I don't even know what to say, get it together.

"Creative"

Former Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At one time..... Sexy, fun, and energetic brand. Evangelical customer base. Abundant room for creative exploration. Unique and compelling vision of the founder. Forward thinking on all creative fronts.

Cons

Unskilled high and mid-level leadership. The company lost sight of the customer and core brand vision. A lot of employee turmoil causing poor culture. The brand and company mission has lost its way.

Advice to Management

Figure out the brand. Treat your employees better. Cut the umbilical chord with the founder and creatively move on. Fire top heavy nonsense and restructure.

"think again"

Pros

was around cool clothes and people

Cons

no bonus, over 12 hour days with little employment, huge gap between managerial and the rest of the retail team. Even larger gap between retail and corporate

Advice to Management

be involved

"Nasty Gal is an amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nasty Gal is a phenomenal place to work. I was there for over three years and learned and grew so much in my career. With it's startup feel, you will have the ability to get your hands involved in all different aspects of the company. Your days are not redundant and you don't get stuck in corporate rut. The collaborative and engaging environment makes each day really exciting. The people that work here are awesome and are quick to make friends.

The managers really care about you, listen to you, and want you to grow. They are eager to develop their teams and want everyone to have the ability to pursue their careers at Nasty Gal. The CEO, Sheree makes herself available at all times to all employees. She is totally accessible and listens with open ears. She is a fearless and incredible leader, I personally learned so much from working with her. Her professionalism and grace make her stand out among the rest, while her spunk and charisma make her so enjoyable to be around.

Nasty Gal has some of the best benefits I have ever seen a company offer! They care about your future too! The 401K plan is unbeatable. Some other cool perks, summer Friday's, sample sales, catered lunches, work parties, social events, list goes on...

I highly suggest applying and working at Nasty Gal, it is such a great place to work!

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons, besides my advice to management.

Advice to Management

Communicate more from top-down, it is so important to share as much information and knowledge to everyone on the team in order for everyone to work towards the same goal. If employees can feel in the know and all on the same page, it makes success so much more achievable.

10. "My best career growth experience thus far..."

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working at Nasty Gal for a lot of reasons. So I'll list a few below:

1. You get to really have an impact on the future of the company. If you're a do-er and not a complainer you can make it really far here.
    2. The people are extremely passionate. I don't think I've ever worked anywhere where everyone is so obsessed with the brand and working so hard to make it successful.
    3. I've been able to work on really cool projects that I know people at my level at other companies have not been able to touch.
    4. After a few years of being here (and a few lay offs) it feels like the company is turning around and that's really exciting to see.
    5. If you work hard you will be rewarded financially. You just need to prove yourself.

Cons

1. Pretty young employees so sometimes you feel like you might be at the same level as your manager since a lot of them have no management experience. HR offers coaching workshops so it'd be cool to see more of those.
    2. The culture isn't for everyone. You have to be prepared to work very very hard and be a problem solver. It is very rewarding.
    3. Overwhelming at times because of processes being clunky and still in progress, but we are still in growth mode and trying to figure things out. I figure most startups are like this so I'm not too worried about it and I enjoy being part of the solution.

Advice to Management

Would love to have consistency with All-hands meetings. We all work so hard and we just want to know what's going on with the business.