Nasty Gal "great place" Reviews | Glassdoor

Nasty Gal Employee Reviews about "great place"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work and learn"

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

great place to hone your craft, great people

Cons

poor direction by upper management

"Nasty Gal is an amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nasty Gal is a phenomenal place to work. I was there for over three years and learned and grew so much in my career. With it's startup feel, you will have the ability to get your hands involved in all different aspects of the company. Your days are not redundant and you don't get stuck in corporate rut. The collaborative and engaging environment makes each day really exciting. The people that work here are awesome and are quick to make friends.

The managers really care about you, listen to you, and want you to grow. They are eager to develop their teams and want everyone to have the ability to pursue their careers at Nasty Gal. The CEO, Sheree makes herself available at all times to all employees. She is totally accessible and listens with open ears. She is a fearless and incredible leader, I personally learned so much from working with her. Her professionalism and grace make her stand out among the rest, while her spunk and charisma make her so enjoyable to be around.

Nasty Gal has some of the best benefits I have ever seen a company offer! They care about your future too! The 401K plan is unbeatable. Some other cool perks, summer Friday's, sample sales, catered lunches, work parties, social events, list goes on...

I highly suggest applying and working at Nasty Gal, it is such a great place to work!

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons, besides my advice to management.

Advice to Management

Communicate more from top-down, it is so important to share as much information and knowledge to everyone on the team in order for everyone to work towards the same goal. If employees can feel in the know and all on the same page, it makes success so much more achievable.

"Unforgettable Working Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Amazing people at all levels of the company!

Our teams here at Nasty Gal have the potential to make this company VERY successful. Excited to see what the future holds for us.

Only workplace I know where EVERY employee is empowered to demonstrate entrepreneurship and have a direct impact on the business despite of job description or generation.

Started temping through an agency and worked my way into getting hired full time.
    I've been given the opportunity to explore and get my hands on several projects with different departments within the company. Great place to work if you are looking to gain A LOT of experience or teach others what you know.

The right fit works HARD without having to be micromanaged and is prepared to perform efficiently both independently AND in a team setting.

-Happy hours with awesome people
    -Summer Fridays (office closes at 2PM)
    -Free parking
    -Popcorn Weds
    -a lot of nearby places to eat and drink

Cons

None so far. Wish sample sales were as exciting for male employees as they are for the Gals :(

Advice to Management

I feel we are on the right path!

Very approachable and as a millennial, I highly appreciate this.

"Not a bad place to work!"

Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work at nasty gal are all young and hip, which makes it fun. You can easily find people to have a beer with. It's easy to maintain a work/balance as the hours aren't too crazy. In the 2 years I worked there I never heard anyone yell, kind of rare in fashion. Really, for me, it's a great place to work. I really enjoyed the lack of structure, it allowed to me to learn and be more independent, really own my work. I think the bad press is unfair, NG is a workplace like any other. It's still a job, but to me it was a really fun place to work.

Cons

In some departments there is a culture of complaining, they need to find a solution to their issues move on to make if a more positive environment.

Advice to Management

Hiring only young, hip people can be intimidating to new hires and feel exclusive. Make sure to make huge efforts in the onboarding process to keep the new people that get hired.

"Nasty People who lie to get you there then treat you like dirt when you're here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At first you think you're surrounded by some really cool people, but after some time you realize everyone is out for themselves. This is not a team environment and your co-workers will actually be mean to you to get you to quit if you don't fit in or are different/have a different way of doing things. If you go to HR about this, nothing happens because this is how upper management operates as well. This was evident when the Head of Planning quit as well as the Head Merchant, which has actually had two people come and go from this job in my short time here. If you do have a different opinion than the leadership team, don't say anything because you might get fired just like the last 3 merchants, one of which was the first ever employee. Nice to work for such a loyal company. This is a great place to work if you don't mind working long hours and being underpaid for the amount of work you do.

Cons

First of all, the recruiting team isn't honest with you during the interview process about the sad environment and paints this place out to be rosy. They would never tell you that so many people have quit after only being there for a few months because they can't take working in such an terrible place. They also seem to care more about what you look like than whether or not you actually have the skills to do the job so you can only imagine what kind of people work here. Its also no secret that if you walk by them, you can hear them talking about people. Full of cool kid wannabes, but lacks actual smart people to help the company to meet their goals. There are no more parties or fun stuff that used to happen when I first got there. The kitchen used to be filled with snacks and treats which seemed to have dried up. The location is good if you don't mind walking a mile from the parking structure to the office. Seems they are too cheap to care about employee safety to actually pay for onsite parking. The financials have also been shaky for a while which is why they announced we have to lease out part of our brand new office and have had several layoffs. The benefits are also nothing to brag about. The medical plan is expensive for what you pay for and the yearly increases you get aren't enough to cover the increased cost of the plans, so its not like getting a raise at all. The 401k is good, but probably just a matter of time before that gets taken away. This is not worth putting up with everything else imo.

Advice to Management

You make us all go to meetings where you act like you care, but nothing ever gets done to change anything. Look at the people you hire for who they are and how they can help instead of caring if they are cool enough to be a Nasty Gal.

"Great potential, but fails on follow through."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shepherdsville, KY

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

I wish I could list the perks or pay, but none were that great. I heard that at one time it was a great place to be and I can tell that a few enjoyed to be there.

Cons

Leadership from the warehouse to the head office lacks vision and even plays favoritism.

Advice to Management

Scrap all of the made up titles, focus on those left who benfit the company, and try to make sure the workers know that you appreciate them.