Nasty Gal "sample sales" Reviews | Glassdoor

Nasty Gal Employee Reviews about "sample sales"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Don't be fooled."

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time

Pros

Nasty Gal has an amazing 401(k) match, paid parking, and industry standard to slightly above industry standard pay (at least in my department). The discount is good, there are occasional sample sales, alcohol is permitted in the office for celebratory occasions, and it is dog-friendly. And obviously the product is killer.

Cons

Where do I even begin. I was sucked into the "Girlboss" brand by Sophia's unconventional success story, like many others. This story is, unfortunately, a meaningless facade. The issues begin firstly with the company continuing to refer to itself as a "start-up" when in reality it has been in operation for over 10 years. By definition, this company is not a start-up and it is an excuse that management continues to fall back on for the lack of strategy, process, and organization that plagues the brand. Secondly, this organization operates in an extremely tops-down fashion, meaning lower-level employees are expected to do as they are told with no associated dialogue. This style is not always ineffective, but in this case it is due to a constant lack of clarity, context, and a track record of outright unprofitable tops-down decisions. Finally, the culture across the board at Nasty Gal is very unfavorable. Training, retention, and employee morale are non-factors. Employees are looked at as disposable minions and are not developed, mentored, or coached properly. Employees are disciplined when they step out of their lanes, which impedes any sort of valid ideas for improvement. Future career paths and career growth within the company are not discussed - what motivation is there for employees to produce? This company essentially values egos and politics more than they do business results and actions.

Advice to Management

Maybe it is time to incorporate more bottoms-up feedback/input on decisions. This would foster innovation, boost employee morale and retention, and allow leaders to receive insights from the trenches on whether internal processes will pan out or not. It's important for the product workforce to annualize their businesses and know them extremely well. You won't get that with high turnover. Nasty Gal has relied far too long and far too heavily on its brand image, thinking that its cult following will sustain growth and shield the business from irresponsible fiscal decisions instead of investing in infrastructure and resources that would allow it to scale. The recent filing for chapter 11 bankruptcy speaks volumes to the mismanagement of this company, and while lower-level employees can continue to take the fall, we all know who is really at fault here.

"Nasty Gal is an amazing place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nasty Gal is a phenomenal place to work. I was there for over three years and learned and grew so much in my career. With it's startup feel, you will have the ability to get your hands involved in all different aspects of the company. Your days are not redundant and you don't get stuck in corporate rut. The collaborative and engaging environment makes each day really exciting. The people that work here are awesome and are quick to make friends.

The managers really care about you, listen to you, and want you to grow. They are eager to develop their teams and want everyone to have the ability to pursue their careers at Nasty Gal. The CEO, Sheree makes herself available at all times to all employees. She is totally accessible and listens with open ears. She is a fearless and incredible leader, I personally learned so much from working with her. Her professionalism and grace make her stand out among the rest, while her spunk and charisma make her so enjoyable to be around.

Nasty Gal has some of the best benefits I have ever seen a company offer! They care about your future too! The 401K plan is unbeatable. Some other cool perks, summer Friday's, sample sales, catered lunches, work parties, social events, list goes on...

I highly suggest applying and working at Nasty Gal, it is such a great place to work!

Cons

Honestly can't think of any cons, besides my advice to management.

Advice to Management

Communicate more from top-down, it is so important to share as much information and knowledge to everyone on the team in order for everyone to work towards the same goal. If employees can feel in the know and all on the same page, it makes success so much more achievable.

"Lets just say I'm glad I didn't buy my stock options."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dog friendly, awesome co-workers, sample sales, cool brand, and there used to be parties and booze. The company culture was really fun when I started and it was exciting to be a part of something, which at the time, was growing quickly from a start-up. Made a lot of great connections.

Cons

I noticed all the really awesome, talented, smart people started leaving one by one and it's no wonder why. Pay is well under industry standard and there are hardly any raises or promotions.

I enjoyed going to work everyday until the new CFO and CEO came aboard. They are tyrants. To them everyone is replaceable; anyone with a different opinion than them is let go. I loved my manager and I met several on the upper management team who were great, but no one ever stayed long. Every time someone with any kind of power joined I had high hopes they would be able to fix the mess of brokenness but they went running out the door before long. Morale just kept sinking.

Sophia is very naive. I commend her for her story but she's way out of her league and way out of touch with her company. I understand from a business standpoint how some layoffs/ restructuring might be called for but they were really shady about it.

Friends would always ask me to refer them for jobs because it sounded so glamorous, but I refused to subject anyone I like to the horrible place that is Nasty Gal.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! Show them they are appreciated! Don't forget they are human beings! These are pretty basic things...

Invest in your employees. Grow them. Take care of them. They will do the same for you.

"NASTY to the core. Worst job of my life!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Discounts on clothing - but the clothing isn't worth buying even at the sample sales!

Cons

No leadership. It's like a pretend company run by silly school-girls who are trying to get ahead (not sure where they think they're heading?) by bullying and complaining instead of doing any actual work - it's mind boggling! The few talented people I met - including my boss who lasted less than a year - and who were brought over from really great companies in other cities, left as soon as they were offered something better, usually bang on a year if not earlier. It seems like the only people that stay don't have the talent to go beyond a mediocre fashion job in LA, or the only prior experience they had was for Urban Outfitters (which apparently is a big deal for those at NG).
    I was warned by my boss as well as some other senior staff, that it was a dysfunctional company with no real structure, that the founder was almost impossible to work with/for due to her bad attitude and poor management skills, and that the staff turn-over rate was abysmal. But I thought the fact that I'd always had great experiences everywhere else I worked would mean I could handle it here. I couldn't.
    I've never experienced anything like it - from day one it was evident that everyone I spoke to in the office was miserable, disillusioned and looking for other employment. Two people on my first day told me they were going to quit and asked why with my skills I had taken the job! At least 20 people have resigned this year alone.
    The key to success in this place from what I witnessed was to either A) be completely invisible - don't be a threat to anyone by having an actual opinion or being vaguely intelligent, just do the bare minimum and avoid getting any attention, or B) become a complete bully who refuses to acknowledge anyone else's opinions, strengths or skills; do not be a team player and congratulate other's on the work they've done, rather make sure to let everyone know that all the ideas came from you alone - this seems to go down very well (which is the complete opposite from any functioning company!); and make sure you suck up to the right people (basically everyone seems very insecure, and usually in my experience people hate suck ups - but here being a two-faced suck up is the fastest way to success!). Either way it's soul destroying.
    Behave in an honest, up-front and generous manner and you'll quickly find yourself the object of derision. But the benefit of this is that you'll soon find you don't fit in and move on to something better in no time - what's great is that you don't even need to explain why you quit to any potential employers as apparently it's well known that Nasty Gal is a nightmare to work at, that Sophia Amoruso is only interested in self-promotion and why would anyone want to work for someone like that?

Advice to Management

Stop trying to figure out who the 'Mean Girls' are - basically anyone there that doesn't look suicidal is! You've fired enough people - and at the end of the day, the attitude you celebrate is a 'nasty' one. Also, your company goals diagram is ridiculous - maybe check the dictionary before you write gems like: "Our goal is to Aspire & Inspire our customer"!

"Watched the company do a complete 180 for the worst in 15 months."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty flexible with vacation/sick time. There are quarterly sample sales and discounts are great. The offices are located in a nice part of downtown. There are weekly in office workout classes offered that are fee.

Cons

In the year and change that I worked there I reported to five different people, watched over 30 people get laid off (and a handful fired without any write ups or warnings), and saw over 15 people quit in my department alone. One of my mangers only lasted two months before jumping ship. The high turn over has caused instabilities that made it impossible to get anything done. Process where constantly changing as management and teams constantly shifted. Growth was pretty much non existent. No one on my team got promoted in over a year and positions above us got filled with unqualified outside hires. We were never even given the opportunity to apply for these jobs. Hiring and filling holes was always kept extremely hush hush and secretive for reasons I still can't understand. Moral was extremely low, and when talking to HR about the issues, we got feedback that our concerns were "immature". If you are interested in growing with a company,this is definitely not the place, unless you have worked for our president and now CEO at one of her former, high profile companies.

When I started the team was fired up and dedicated. Now everyone is beaten down, bitter, and plotting there exits. The cool factor of the brand that once lured us all in is deteriorating and so is the company's talent. The free snacks, parties, and team building activities that people speak of in previous posts are long gone...its really turning into a corporate nightmare.

Advice to Management

Invest in the "little people" who are doing all the grunt work for the company. Constantly hiring high up execs isn't going to solve problems that are rooted in the trenches. The company was founded by young people, made its first millions with young people, and the customer is young. Listen and trust what your more youthful employees have to say. Also, take time to understand processes from start to finish.

"joke"

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone has been mentioning beer and wine parties... am I imagining things? Because we haven't had one of those in MONTHS. The snacks are still pretty good and the sample sales are pretty awesome. The quality workers we had are leaving one by one. The office is beautiful but the atmosphere is toxic and trumps the positive.

Cons

I don't understand the logic of the company anymore. Why are we continuing to be more and more top heavy while all of the worker bees are to bear the load of the work? Leadership has been in meetings for a month. There are smart people here, we get it, no one is being fooled. We know what is happening and it is ridiculous that it is being dragged on for as long as it has been.

I can't believe how bad things have gotten and I can't believe how irresponsible leadership has been behaving. This may be just a job to some but to others it's their livelihood. The stress and tension in the office is palpable and nothing is being done to ease that. I do hope that the noble, hard working people here find something new and go to a place where they find themselves valued and have the opportunity to grow. All the best to all of you!

Advice to Management

Just do it. There's no way to make up for respect that has been lost... so just do it.

"A company in a growth spurt...a work in progress!"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Nasty Gal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No question, there is a whole lot going on here. Yes, some people are leaving. Yes, this company runs a million miles a minute. But coming from some other well established brands in my past and now experiencing the work and culture here, I really do believe the company is in the middle of a transition period. We're growing from a small start-up company to an established, profitable brand...at some point we've got to stop calling ourselves a start-up and realize we're a legit business doing bigger and better things than we've been able to do before.

Things aren't perfect, but to me it seems like we're heading in the right direction. HR has been super vocal about receiving honest feedback from us, and we've been given a place to come and talk to them about anything that's on our minds. When I first started here we didn't have anything to support my/my team's learning or growth, but now there's a whole learning program designed to help employees and first-time managers. As a manager myself, I've been able to participate in some great workshops to help me and also help grow my team.

Like I said, this company is definitely growing and experiencing some of the growing pains that come with it - there definitely seems to be an "I want it all, and I want it now" mentality with pockets of people here. But overall, I think people are willing to work together to compromise and figure out how we can keep our "start-up" culture while now working in an established and growing company.

Money wise - I think I'm paid fairly for my job and the work I do. My full-compensation (benefits, pay, perks, time-off etc) is pretty awesome. The company offers time-off (vacation, sick, the usual), solid health benefits, has at least 1 fun event a month (Beer & Wine Friday, World Cup viewing, Pub Trivia, Popcorn Wednesdays, and things like that) for people to let loose a bit and get to meet people from other departments, Summer Hour Fridays, free snacks/coffee, and sample sales. Our departments also have team building events, and on our team we just went to Disneyland! Oh, and we are dog-friendly, so I can bring my dog with me to work a few times a week which saves me on doggy day care!

Cons

We're growing super quickly right now, which is awesome. But it also means things move quickly and there isn't a whole lot of room for downtime. If you aren't used to working hard day in and day out, this may not be the spot for you. But if you like digging right in, and getting your hands dirty to be part of something that's growing, this place is great.

Advice to Management

Communication is getting better, but there's always room for improvement! Sr. Leadership should continue to work to be on the same page and then make sure their dept. heads follow suit.