Natera Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Matthew Rabinowitz, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Catered lunches on Monday, Wednesday, Friday (in 17 reviews)

• Free lunch 3x a week, and good healthcare coverage (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Unclear direction from upper management which trickles down to the field force (in 11 reviews)

• No one is desperate enough to be employees here (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good company that gets a bad rap."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people & a fun/social work environment. The company and leadership really want to make quality products that help make people's lives better. Work here is challenging and isn't always easy, but it is always worthwhile. There have been growing pains over the past few years, but management tries to resolve them. That is what life at a burgeoning company is like.

I like it here. There is a lot of opportunity for growth. The company expects (but recognizes) hard work.

Cons

Judging by other reviews left here, there are obviously some departments or groups that are having a rough time and being vocal about it. I don't see any of this hostility on a day to day basis at work. Adjustment to the pace here and the continued growth of the company takes some perseverance.

Advice to Management

Figure out why so many people seem dissatisfied in their reviews on glassdoor. It seems to be localized to less senior employees in specific departments. More management training for middle-level managers may help. Continue to focus on quality, be less stressed about timelines, and continue to increase transparency.

Jun 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback. We are pleased to hear you have had such a positive experience during your time with Natera. We completely agree that there are areas that need some major... More

"Senior Software Engineer"

I worked at Natera full-time

Pros

a lot of chance to learn new technology.

Cons

sometimes need to work overtime

Nov 1, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for the positive review. Natera pride itself on our cutting-edge technology in the newly emerging field of genetics and diagnostics. Very cool work! It’s not often you can bridge a technology... More

"IT"

I have been working at Natera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, great product, growing business, flexible environment, free lunches 3x a week, 401k with 50% match, espp, bi-weekly massages, stocked kitchen.

Cons

Growing pains of post startup, budget cuts, cross-departmental dependencies, not easy to accomplish tasks due to complex business model.

Advice to Management

Good work, keep it up !

Nov 1, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for calling out all the specific ways we aim to please our workforce as they give us our best. Also, the construct feedback helps as well. Growing pains are a part of life, we’re very happy... More

"undesirable hours, high turnover rate in operations"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. decent entry-level position for recent grads/those with little experience.
    2. snacks and 3x per week catered meals.
    3. small gym with treadmills, ellipticals, and pulley machine.
    4. potential for horizontal growth

Cons

1. location is between san jose and san francisco, certain hours of traffic make commute a real pain.
    2. the pay is never enough, people volunteer for OT just to make more.
    3. nearly impossible to obtain monday to friday work schedules
    4. the scientific aspects of the techniques done in lab are not reinforced enough, many don't understand the science behind the protocols they are carrying out.

Advice to Management

Not necessarily to management, but here are some suggestions:
    1. Give better raises and incentives (greater 401k, free stocks, and/or more PTO the longer you stay with the company) to prevent people from leaving, avoiding an endless cycle of training that puts pressure on an endless cycle of understaffed shifts.
    2. Communication between levels has improved over the last year.

Nov 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing! Looks like some things worked and some things need work. We’re always looking helpful feedback from both active and former employees in order to improve things. We especially... More

"Jr. Inside Sales Specialist"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

Opportunities for growth, transparent management, easy going environment.

Cons

Desk job, a lot of repetiveness.

Nov 4, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Wonderful to have you supporting the Natera team! Not so great that you feel your role is too repetitive. Have you considered taking on a new project to boost team spirit or learn a new skill? Natera... More

"Great company. Difficult to Advance."

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal benefits, opportunities to learn more than one department, and continuous improvement in your career if you are willing to put in the work.

Company offers continuous improvment training for your career and has opportunity for change but less for advancement. Great chance to learn new things and grow your career when planned continuous improvement training actually occurs.

Wonderful staff and the building is new and great.

Cons

Based on the responsibilities and workload expectations, compensation is lacking.

Management has too much on their plates and doesn't follow through on employee questions and requests.

Promised continuous improvement training and opportunities are often postponed for months. Other promised job opportunities are postponed for months as well.

Advice to Management

Hire an additional manager or hand off some of your tasks to an additional administrative assistant.

Be more tranparent regarding career advancement and learning opportunities.

Nov 1, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing! It sounds like there is lots to love about our Austin location. Yes, we pride ourselves of great benefits and offer lots of experiences for people who want them. As you note, we... More

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Catered lunches (3x a week, but there is always enough food to feed the team for the rest of the week
    Great office location (gym on site)
    Decent benefits (but not great, considering this is a women's health company)

Cons

Where do I start?
    -No trust in employees and recognition for the work done
    -Constant distraction by sometimes conflicting, concurrent goals
    -Leaders have no focus, but they justify their behavior calling it 'enterpreneurial' and that means managing by chaos and fear
    -Goals are set without clear reasoning and are real 'monkey numbers' (no reason, no rime except to set unreachable goals).
    -Thosewho do well are falling into the same trap of 'management without focus and fear'). They have managed to be appearing busy and focused on whatever executives consider important.
    -Benefits: This company is wondering why its so hard to attract talent (particularly engineers) when benefits are sub par (how about paying for parental leave?)
    -Work life balance only exist if executives are on vacation: late night and weekend work is almost expected (to get the work done with the imposed deadline)

Advice to Management

Hire top talent at the top, many of the top level executives have grown up with the company, but don't know how to lead (motivate, manage and run their departments professionally, particularly not now that the company is public and much larger than a few years ago. Put a professional HR team in place to address employee motivation and leadership gaps.

Oct 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the shout out on the positives: catered lunches, great location, gym, etc. Thanks also for being candid about your perspectives on the challenges. Like many recent IPOs, we are... More

"A company that still hasn't grown up...."

I worked at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy commute options with Cal train from the city and centrally located on the Peninsula

Cons

Extremely poor and unexperienced leadership team
    Poor planning and lack of experience on senior executives' part results in chaos, long hours and conflicting priorities for rest of employees.
    Lack of opportunities for female leaders
    Still lacks basic infrastucture expected for a company that's been in existence for more than ten years.
    Finances are in disarray. There is no formal budgeting process in place, resulting in poor fiscal management poor relationships with vendors.

Advice to Management

Clean house. New blood is greatly needed. And the board needs more visibility to what is going on with the company.

"Billing Reimbursement Specialist"

Current Employee - Billing Reimbursement Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Billing Reimbursement Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are okay, people are mostly friendly and professional enough, the Austin site is decent.

Cons

Compensation could be better, supervisors tend to be completely unavailable or duplicitous gossipers with minimal understanding of the processes they are in charge of.

Advice to Management

Lower management needs to be completely replaced or moved to other positions with few exceptions. The morale is dependent on the teams leadership, some are amazing, others are highly toxic.

Oct 27, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your suggestions.

It’s important for us to hear from current employees so that we can improve our culture at all levels of the company.

We will share your feedback and... More

"sales"

I worked at Natera full-time

Pros

none. disgusting company that buys business

Cons

horrible people with a commodity product

Nov 10, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for visiting the site. It’s clear your employment while at Natera was a not successful. Natera has a proven history of partnering with communities and a workforce we care about. However, we... More