Natera Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Matthew Rabinowitz, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Really good catered lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays and sandwich materials for the other days" (in 24 reviews)

• "Free Lunch,Good kitchen, healthy Snacks" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Only as transparent as HR/upper management coaches/allows them to be" (in 13 reviews)

• "Micro management and no work life balance" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are passionate and bright, the technology is awesome, there are so many great things cooking from the business and the product side. The matrix organization is managing many projects efficiently.

Cons

There's a lot to get done, but that's also a good thing

Jul 19, 2018 – sr. director Talent Acq/Org Learning&Development

Thanks so much for the feedback, we are super excited about the work we are doing and all those working hard to make it happen!

2. "Product Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Incredible and meaningful mission, and everyone is invested in it. I love getting phone calls from my friends who just got pregnant and want my advice on how to get access to our tests. Now that Natera is making a splash in oncology, I am also getting calls from people whose friends or family have recently been diagnosed with cancer. I am so proud to help people in this way, at the most important times in their lives.

Awesome technology that continues spinning off valuable new clinical applications to help doctors and patients. Our test results are trusted more than any other lab.

Major improvement to benefits package over the past year: maternity leave now includes 3 months fully paid for all employees! Great health insurance.

Management team has been heavily criticized on Glassdoor, but it has led the company to a leading position in an extremely competitive market. Getting to that point has indeed been hard, not without some battle scars and lessons learned.

Internal communications and processes have improved significantly since some of these older posts.

Many people have successfully transitioned across different functional departments, so it's a supportive atmosphere from that perspective.

I would definitely recommend as a great place to work, if you want to do launch meaningful products, work on the cutting edge of genetics, and get lots of responsibility and career growth opportunities.

Cons

We are in the enviable position that we have lots of opportunities and not enough time or money to do them all, so sometimes we get tripped up trying to prioritize effectively. We also like to push the envelope and aim high with goals, so there is definitely pressure to produce. Some people thrive on that; others don't like it.

Lot of fighting fires. I have never been at a company that isn't fighting fires (i would probably feel bored), but we are definitely trying to strike the right balance between launching a minimum viable product and getting something fully baked.

Jul 22, 2018 – sr. director Talent Acq/Org Learning&Development

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are focusing on new an exciting opportunities in the Oncology and transplant arena and are hopeful about the possibilities for these... More

3. "Good Benefits"

Current Employee - Worker Bee in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Worker Bee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative/Fast-Paced/Great Technology

People - most are generally nice and friendly

Benefits - Cost and coverage is pretty good

Free Food/Snacks/Drinks, if you are lucky to get any. I appreciate anything that's free.

Nice to see a more stable HR team compared to the high turnover a couple of years ago.

CEO - you wouldn't even know he's the CEO. He seems so laid back and usually dressed casually when I see him in the lunch room, helping himself to whatever is left, even making a basic sandwich. If I was the CEO, I'd be ordering a nice hot meal... because I can afford it.

Cons

The early days of catering and providing snacks used to be great but that has gone downhill in the last year...

Snacks and drinks- Either too many employees and not enough supply or employees taking more than they should or think the lunch room is a Whole Foods store and they should do their shopping there.

Catering- discontinued hot food catering on Fridays early in the year. Lousy sandwiches on Fridays. Probably best if they spend that $ on something else that will be enjoyed.

Employees-

Entitled employees who feel they are deserving of more without putting in the hard work first. My advice...If you think you deserve more, stop complaining and don't wait for it to be handed to you.

Management-

Like any other company, some have integrity and are competent and deserving of their position. The rest lack integrity, morals, a backbone, are incompetent, etc...

Sent out a survey to gauge employee satisfaction after a pay adjustment was made last year. Hmm.... perfect timing!

Preach transparency but no so transparent. Only as transparent as HR/upper management coaches/allows them to be.

Etc., Etc., Etc....

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Amen!

Please give us our hot food catering back on Fridays because the ones who really deserve a nice hot meal are onsite and working.

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

innovative and fast paced, but rewarding.

Cons

keeping good people for long periods of time. Too many people look elsewhere for other opportunities

Advice to Management

bulk up the hr group

Sep 5, 2018 – HR team

Thanks for your comments. In today's workplace most companies are competing for great talent like ours. We've made a strong effort to listen to our employees when we survey them and act, this year... More

5. "Customer Apps"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Really good catered lunches on Mondays and Wednesdays and sandwich materials for the other days
    - Friendly, talented teammates
    - Fairly modern technology stack
    - Lots of Autonomy - got opportunities to solve interesting problems on my own
    - Customer Apps has good managers that enable everyone on the team to make an impact
    - Lots of opportunities to learn - got to learn a lot of cool technologies that I wasn't familiar with before joining
    - Happy Hour on Thursdays
    - Ping Pong table and lots of people in the company who are pretty good

Cons

- The open office is way too loud (For the love of God put your phone on vibrate)
    - Sometimes difficult to reach contractors

Sep 5, 2018 – HR team

We love the fact that the office environment, team work and opportunities are evident. Open work spaces do indeed have challenges. We feel ours is a hybrid between completely open and completely... More

6. "The Statistics team is amazingly great!"

Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- People: the best part of working in the Stats team was dealing with co-workers who are smart, friendly, and fun to work with. Top-tier data scientists and statisticians who are available to help each others which provides an excellent opportunity to grow in your technical field.

- Projects: You get to work on projects that literally affect the lives of many people in a good way. There are some products that are well-established but nothing is in the maintenance mode. All products are constantly getting improved and there are new big-bet projects where you get the chance to contribute to building a product from zero to one. You never get bored and the experience you earn is invaluable.

- Technical challenges: The Stats group at Natera is unique in a way that you get to work on some mathematically challenging problems while at the same time you might need to use your product sense along with statistical knowledge to help defining the road-map for a product. There are some new efforts to apply ML algorithms too.

- Did I mention how great the people are?

- Work-life balance: This might be a bit varying some times, but overall, the work-load is reasonable and I never felt pressured to do any work outside the regular working hours.

- People!

Cons

I don't think that any company is perfect and Natera is no exception.

- The entire group's org is wide and shallow and it seems that opportunities for growing in the managerial track are slim unless the size of the group grows substantially.

- There is no data engineer dedicated to the team so the infrastructure is not ideal.

- The compensation could be better (bay area standards).

- The catered food is just okay.

Aug 15, 2018 – HR team

We are super appreciative of the feedback, both positive and constructive and specific ideas for improvement. Thank you

7. "Improvements at Natera: Maternity Leave"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm really proud of how far Natera has come in the past years regarding maternity leave & support for women in leadership. Natera now covers full salary for women on leave, and I have seen first hand that women who have difficult or preterm deliveries were fully supported with taking additional time off. Their jobs were secure when they returned, and the company worked hard to cover things even when multiple people are out on the same team.
    I'm also proud of the progress Natera has made in documenting decisions, and increasing transparency regarding decision making and strategic planning.

Cons

Natera has grown quickly, and we still need to improve our procedures for documentation and transition of information. We need to slow down a little bit more to make it clearer and easier to develop good quality products, and to not lose information as people naturally migrate to other companies in the thriving bay area job market.

Advice to Management

We need to make clear decisions about what new products in oncology and transplant we will pursue, and pursue them well. We need to not try to keep every door open, but select the best doors possible and develop our products well, with clear goals and good planning.

Aug 6, 2018 – HR team

Support for women is a priority for us and we are appreciative of the acknowledgement. We will keep looking for ways to provide this. While growth creates its own challenges we are focused on... More

8. "Proud...."

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    New tests in Oncology and Transplant
    Smart, hard working people
    Growth potential

Cons

some growing pains but that exists anywhere
    some angry people who give non specific feedback

Advice to Management

Keep listening and growing

Sep 5, 2018 – HR team

Thanks for your big picture review. Our employees are a big part of how we decide to evolve.

"Medical Reimbursment"

Former Employee - Medical Biller in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Biller in Austin, TX

I worked at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great! Free lunches ,snacks and drinks! People you work with

Cons

It's all about hear say! If your in good with boss,if not watch out! Meetings to clown for Sup's n managers

Advice to Management

Do what you say! You ask ,we answer ,you get mad! You have some great caring people still working there you need to start listening! Upper management think they are right! But there not doing the work! Months before a screw up is noticed we knew about it but because we aren't heard we had to wait until someelse discovered the error!

"Sinking ship!"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

Good snacks
    Perfect training ground for impulsive bullies

Cons

Where do I even start.... Look at what's happening and what senior management does vs. they say

Just compare the Q1 and Q2 earnings, sales/volume for the flagship product declined, and sales/volume for other products plateaued....

Per a SEC filing, the COO sold 86,919 shares of the company's stock in June. He now owns only 3,588 shares. In other words, he sold 96% of the stock he owned before the announcement of Q2 earnings!!! Perhaps even he lost the conviction in the company's future?

Advice to Management

To my fellow colleagues: cash out while you still can!