Natera Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Matthew Rabinowitz, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Catered lunches on Monday, Wednesday, Friday (in 17 reviews)

• Free lunch 3x a week, and good healthcare coverage (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management ever changing policies (in 11 reviews)

• Micro management and no work life balance (in 6 reviews)

"Excellent Stats group"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera full-time

Pros

The stats group is really talented and really well managed. There is cool technology being used here and the stats / data science projects tend to be pretty interesting. Also, the work environment within this team is very friendly and fun. You will get paid in US dollars to do math/algorithm work and you will actually become friends with your coworkers.

Cons

As others have said, keep in mind that Natera has different locations and departments, some of which are not positively reviewed. I'm not familiar with their issues first hand but if you are considering a stats / data science role then definitely apply here. Cannot emphasize enough how good their stats team is.

Jul 18, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the awesome review! Our stats team makes magic happen for our R&D organization with mathematical data analysis and statistical classification. If you’re looking for a challenge, you’ll... More

"Product"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

Many learning opportunities, always some work to do

Cons

Constant change of directions without much thoughts being put into it, which triggers chaos down on a working level

Advice to Management

Get an alignment first before communicating decisions out to the working teams

"Not worth it"

Former Employee - Scientist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Scientist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lunch catering 3 times a week, some snacks, and good healthcare benefit.

Cons

After spending some years in this company, this company image just dropped from awesome, to there is still some good, to time to leave.

The bosses are micro-management style. Conflict occurs all the time among teams. Decision of starting and ending a project just happens any time. There is no mentorship or career opportunities, and people just care about themselves how to survive and climb up. Lots of unprofessional behavior. Saying we have a start-up mentality is just an excuse of chaos.

"Lowsy leadership"

Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product offerings you can support, mostly friendly coworkers and casual dress code.

Cons

The revenue cycle management team is awful. They are petty, unethical, lack transparency and do not have the necessary skills or knowledge to do their jobs. This team will likely destroy what could be an amazing company. Nearly everyone I hear chatting in the break room or outside the building are looking for other employment due to the lack of job security or misery.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your management team or you'll be outsourcing the entire insurance billing function soon.

"Clinical Data Operator"

Former Employee - Clinical Data Operator in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Operator in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera part-time

Pros

Great environment to work in with very supportive management and coworkers.
    Free catering every other day.

Cons

Most employees start as a CDO and enter the company there and try to work their way up into another position, however it is fairly difficult to move up. Many CDOs I have worked with have been in the same position for years and have not been considered, thus there is a high turn over rate for employees. The work is very long and tedious and calls for additional hours of overtime at the end of everyday. Due to the company growing there is more more work for the accessioning/CDOs department to do and unfortunately there is only one shift and all work for the day must be finished. This forces many CDOs to overwork more often than not. This department also has very strict rules that do not allow much flexibility. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Even though this is an entry level position, the people who do this job are humans too. A work life balance is necessary for all levels of employment and should not just be enjoyed by other departments. I believe the accessioning department is a department full of hard workers who do not get appreciated and are actually over looked. An unreasonable amount of work is dumped onto this particular department. I believe management should look into this and consider making changes, that way you can decrease the turnover rate and increase employee morale/ give a sensible reason for an employee to stay.

"Don’t bother; you’ll be miserable"

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say is the free food

Cons

Where to start:
    Lack of diversity in high management positions
    Capricious executives who decide to ask for extensive changes to projects while expecting no delays to timeline
    Unrealistic timelines
    Many managers get away with serious incompetence/refusal to do their job with no consequences
    Absolutely refuse to hire enough people to get things done
    Pay is not competitive

Advice to Management

Listen to subject matter experts. Saying “just get it done” when presented with legitimate obstacles and concerns is not leadership. Hire some executives who are just white guys.

"Clinical Field Specialist"

Current Employee - Field Clinical Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Clinical Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

base pay is reasonable and territory is small.

Cons

Micro management and no work life balance.

"Distrustful and racist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and lunches.. dress code...benefits are decent and lower management is decent with some good co workers in Austin,TX.

Cons

The department leadership is very dishonest, don’t communicate with their employees unless you are part of their inner circle. The department leader of the billing, appeals, and posting is racist and treats other races different. I have seen other employees have to transfer or get let go because of things the department head has heard and not seen because if you’re not in the inner circle you don’t get any warnings. But the inner circle which is no one of other races gets multiple chances. The managers of the team are good but the head department lead has no understanding of people or how to speak to people. The advancement is none for the multiple races there. There needs to be revamping of this level of management and evaluation done on how the races are treated before a EEOC lawsuit occurs. Avoid working here especially if you are of a different race than those who runs the world(no need to say the race).

"Needs lots of improvement"

I worked at Natera full-time

Pros

Good kitchen
    Good starting work environment

Cons

Young staff
    Unexperienced managers
    Not much room for growth

Advice to Management

Be sure to hire quality people not just people who really want the job

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your advice. We’re always interested in qualified employees looking to partner on a fulfilling career with our team at Natera. We are also continuing on management development... More

"billing specialist"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

dress code, free lunches and snacks

Cons

Upper management ever changing policies

Advice to Management

Better middle management with more communication and a better job advancement

Dec 11, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing your response and continued support of Natera! We look forward to working as a team on better communication and more clearly defining opportunities for management development... More