Natera Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Matthew Rabinowitz, PhD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Catered lunches on Monday, Wednesday, Friday (in 14 reviews)

• There is free food weekly which I enjoy as it saves me money and also forced me to eat healthy at work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Unclear direction from upper management which trickles down to the field force (in 11 reviews)

• No one is desperate enough to be employees here (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good company that gets a bad rap."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people & a fun/social work environment. The company and leadership really want to make quality products that help make people's lives better. Work here is challenging and isn't always easy, but it is always worthwhile. There have been growing pains over the past few years, but management tries to resolve them. That is what life at a burgeoning company is like.

I like it here. There is a lot of opportunity for growth. The company expects (but recognizes) hard work.

Cons

Judging by other reviews left here, there are obviously some departments or groups that are having a rough time and being vocal about it. I don't see any of this hostility on a day to day basis at work. Adjustment to the pace here and the continued growth of the company takes some perseverance.

Advice to Management

Figure out why so many people seem dissatisfied in their reviews on glassdoor. It seems to be localized to less senior employees in specific departments. More management training for middle-level managers may help. Continue to focus on quality, be less stressed about timelines, and continue to increase transparency.

Jun 19, 2017 – Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the very thoughtful feedback. We are pleased to hear you have had such a positive experience during your time with Natera. We completely agree that there are areas that need some major... More

"Favoritism for promotions.... STILL"

Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company in terms of products. I 100% believe in Natera's products and what they do for people. Catered lunches (if there's any food left by the time you get there) and free snacks. Great co-workers.

Cons

Tenure does not matter to this company. Customer care in particular. I can't tell you how many times I have seen many hard working individuals go for a promotion to be overlooked because management favorites others. It's is painfully obvious they go for the ones who are quiet and don't talk much. No matter if they have only 6 months experience vs someone who has 1+ years. Management is extremely new to the role and have no prior management skills or experience. One literally got promoted due to being good friends with an old director. You will not advance in that dept with that kind of management, and tenure means nothing to this company.

Advice to Management

Promote those with tenure who have shown improvement and determination. NOT based on your own personal preferences. It's painfully obvious to many.

"Count your blessings if you have not accepted an offer"

I worked at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Direct deposit
    New laptops
    Long time employees will confirm all negative Glassdoor reviews and that is the norm for Natera
    Food & beverages

Cons

Women's health co. that does NOT respect women!
    No one is desperate enough to be employees here
    Management all levels
    Positive reviews on GD are most likely from HR & upper management
    Start up feel, no dept on the same page or follow same process
    Employee engagement results are not taken seriously

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, value opinions other than those that are your favorites.

"HORRIBLE!"

Former Employee - Billing Department in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Department in Austin, TX

I worked at Natera full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks (if you can find them, and if the Facilities guy feels like stocking them). That's about it for this place.

Cons

The Management could care less about it's employees, little or no training, not a friendly environment, no guidance, no SOP's in place...in other words, don't waste your time and energy, they will probably be out of business soon.

Advice to Management

Be more receptive and honest with your staff.

"Great Vision And Science- Culture And Morale Low currently"

I worked at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being a part of new technology and medicine year after year
    Contributing to the field of the Genetics for personal medicine
    Knowing that Natera's products matter to families and doctors
    Being a part of advancing Women's Reproductive health
    CEO has a passionate vision that is about helping the world and making the world's best science
    Many contributing co-workers share in and feel that passion for their work at Natera
    My team was the best I've ever worked with, great/smart people
    Everyone at Natera works hard, no one is slacking

Cons

HR dept is a revolving door
    Some executive management lacks enough experience for their job
    Natera=Nepotism
    Management needs training on fundamentals of motivating vs de-motivating tactics in the company
    Work life balance is a constant battle
    For a women's health care company wanting to dominate a women's health care market, where are the Executive Leadership women at Natera? More women in these roles would set it apart from the biotech/Silicon Valley culture.
    The majority of executive management operates on a 16 year old teenage Emotional Intelligence index.

Advice to Management

Natera has great science/people/vision. It lacks coaching and management to make leaders more professional and transparent and less passive aggressive and impulsive. It is those qualities that make people think Natera is chaotic. Natera is actually a busy company leaping to make amazing medical breakthroughs for humankind.

"Clinical Field Specialist"

Former Employee - Field Clinical Specialist in Tam Kỳ (Vietnam)
    Former Employee - Field Clinical Specialist in Tam Kỳ (Vietnam)

I worked at Natera full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, SNP technology, great test, good pay, great directors/managers, good innovation and technology. The benefits are fine and I like the employee match with 401k

Cons

Ambiguous direction, young inept management, culture and morale are at an all time low. Unclear direction from upper management which trickles down to the field force.

Advice to Management

Please find qualified folks to run the ship! Folks are unhappy but hanging on for the pay. Act on the surveys collected from the employees.

"Exciting & fast- paced place to work"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

Active- quick pace
    Fun, energetic, approachable team

Cons

We always have too much to do
    Some unrealistic timelines are set

Advice to Management

Don't push employees to only give ideal/ best case time-line estimates. Ask for realistic projections of when things can be completed.

Aug 18, 2017 – Internal Communications

Thanks for such great feedback! We enjoy the fun atmosphere as well. We also appreciate your constructive feedback. When you’re trying to change the world of genetics, sometimes you have to move... More

"Doing the right thing here doesn't exist"

I have been working at Natera full-time

Pros

The technology and future endeavors into oncology are promising.

Cons

This by far is one of the most unethical companies I have worked for in terms of billing practices, compensation plan revisions mid quarter that negatively affect the sales force and not paying commissions that were rightfuly earned based on billing technicalities.
    If you're interviewing, you need to reach out to a few sales people around the country and ask how many thousands of dollars they're out in commissions this quarter based on tests not being submitted to insurance plans due to the billing department's lack of follow up. Ask about the constant change in point allocation for each quarter's commission plan and how they conveniently change them and are pondering rolling over a quarter's sales knowing it is not a equal comparison for commission payment.
    Upper management at this company does not respect the salesforce and it is evident quarter after quarter as they plan games with commission plan and payments.
    The billing practices have put us at a clear disadvantage within many territories with large clinic systems as they continue to submit astonishingly high list prices to insurance companies without any movement towards in network plan status. Out of pocket billing of state insured patients is common place and should have been nixed long ago. Upper management is filled with embarrassingly immature and inept "leaders" who fill positions with cronies of the same caliber. The bottom line is the company wants one thing only and it's to ensure that upper management receives a handsome payday on their stock distributions. All others be damned.

Advice to Management

The board needs to step in before it's too late.

Aug 10, 2017 – Internal Communications

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you have faced difficulties with your commission. We experienced issues with timely billing and payments from our customers. We fixed those... More

"Great company, great benefits"

Current Employee - Field Clinical Specialist in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Field Clinical Specialist in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Natera full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, resources are available to you, good managers, exciting products, no vacation policy

Cons

401(k) could be better, can be a very stressful place to work

Aug 18, 2017 – Internal Communications

We are pleased to hear that you enjoy our products and available resources. At Natera, we’re actively working toward a structure that fits the lives of our employees, benefits included. Thank you for... More

"QC Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

I worked at Natera (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to move up , many different teams you can work in

Cons

Some of the managers love to micromanage and don't trust their employees to do their work properly.

Advice to Management

If you don't trust your employees, why do you hire them?

Aug 18, 2017 – Internal Communications

We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience with our managers. At Natera, we are proud of our ability to promote within, and we’re building that pipeline as we grow. And, we’re constantly... More