Cover image for Natera

Natera

Engaged Employer

Natera

Add a Review

Natera Employee Reviews about "poor management"

Updated Nov 30, 2021

Found 29 of over 689 reviews

3.4
Natera CEO Steve Chapman
Steve Chapman

What people are saying about Natera

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Natera? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Natera employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Natera and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "poor management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee

Smart technically but lack certain business skills

Oct 12, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good products but the whole space is commoditized. Good base salary It appears the home office is trying to compete with other companies in the area by providing perks like lunches, etc. Trys hard to create a positive environment but ignores the fundamentals of what is creating the problem in the first place.

Cons

Culture of fear Hyper growth expectation not backed by business fundamentals An expectation that simply providing a resource will overcome a fundamental issue If their is a problem gaining business, it is always blamed on the representative having inadequate product knowledge Extremely poor management in some areas. Play with the numbers on the compensation plan causing many reps to try to work the system.

16 people found this review helpful

Director of Administration

Thank you for your feedback. Our commitment to our patients and products is always our utmost priority, and this is what our values and actions reflect. We believe that our culture is shaped by our employees. To that end, we frequently survey and ask for feedback on how employees are feeling and are building programs around what we hear back. In addition, we are implementing other mechanisms for feedback such as 360 reviews and targeted engagement strategies customized to address the particular needs by department. Although this is a work in progress, we appreciate your feedback. It is particularly useful when employees take the initiative to participate in our internal surveys and reach out to HR or Culture teams to help address.

2. 1.0

Stay Away

Oct 18, 2016 - Manager in San Carlos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Free food, convenient commute, decent insurance

Cons

The worst culture I've ever experienced. I'm a veteran manager and I've never experienced such intimidation tactics and poor executive management. The executive staff needs a turn over starting at the top.

23 people found this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

great place to be

Oct 12, 2014 - Research Scientist in San Carlos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

stimulating environment, great science, awesome people

Cons

poor management, lack of direction

20 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

This place is okay......

Mar 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

*Catered food three times a week. * Very friendly coworkers/community * The science/technology is amazing, and is reshaping the medical field * Good supervisor who is flexible, and understanding (in my case) * Decent working hours/work schedule (in my case) * Easy commute from my home. So far, I have experienced an overall chill work environment. Some days are definitely busier than others, but that is expected at most jobs worked.

Cons

* Poor management *Disorganization (mostly linked to poor management) My supervisor is great, however, the management system overall needs revamping. I believe that there are too many people who may not have been ready for a management position taking charge of things. This creates global disorganization, affecting all divisions/teams. There are what you would say 'too many hands in the cookie jar'. Although the company's growth and business seems positive, the poor management is truly hindering the company short term, and long term.

7 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Disappointing experience

Jun 24, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

A few smart colleagues. A good stepping stone for new graduates seeking opportunities in biotech. Office that is close to both San Francisco and San Jose,

Cons

A few important ones: 1) Poor management, as pointed out in so many other reviews. People in most leadership positions are where they are because they have been in the company long enough or they suck up to the executive team, not because they possess the skills of a true leader. This results in micromanagement (rather than management), frustrated employees, high turnover, etc. A good portion of the management team is unemployable at any other company (in my humble opinion), and they do not know how a real company operates. 2) No real long-term goal, instead constantly changing targets. Important project decisions made based on executive team's daily mood. A project that is company's number one goal becomes defunct literally the next week. New projects are started without due diligence and cancelled within a few months wasting all the effort spent on them (I saw this happening so many times). 3) Unprofessional behavior. I have observed many instances of people yelling each other in meetings (sometimes even swearing). Any one of these would have resulted in serious consequences for people responsible for this behavior in a normal company. 4) Lack of career development. Promotion decisions are based on favoritism, as simple as that. Salaries are not on par with other Bay Area companies, so it may be a good place to start a career but economically not a smart choice in the long run. 5) High amount of workload, mostly due to poor management and moving targets. Company's response to these criticisms so far have been: (1) ignore them as growing pains (2) plant fake reviews (3) ask 'happy' employees to write reviews (I don't question the integrity of some recent reviews but the good ones are either from the new employees who haven't seen the real deal or from the managers who are actually the source of the problem). If you make your employees happy, good reviews will come automatically. But seems like HR is focused on making the company look good here rather than changing the toxic culture resulting in these reviews.

33 people found this review helpful

Director of Administration

Thanks for your feedback. HR is working to improve our employee's experiences here at Natera. We have recently completed a formal employee engagement survey to determine and address employee's concerns and to create action plans with the executive team and at department levels to work together toward resolutions. If you feel there has been unprofessional conduct at Natera, I encourage you to report it to HR or Compliance department and it will be handled swiftly and appropriately. Our goal is to make Natera one of the best places to work in 2017. We are determined to get there and we thank you for your input.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee

Great Work Environment Bad Upper Management

Jul 14, 2022 - Medical Laboratory Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Catered Lunch -Fully stocked breakroom with snacks and coffee -Opportunity to learn a lot of different assays and techniques, but only if you move horizontally between different teams every 6 months.

Cons

-Poor upper management. Decisions made by Lab VP with no knowledge of how the assays/machines used in the lab work. -Little to no communication from HR. Even when an urgent request is put in HR will take 2/3 days to respond -Very few opportunities for growth within the company. Many employees find work at a different company in order to move up. -Little to no room for negotiating salaries, and when you are able to negotiate there are shady practices at hand where the verbally agreed upon salary will not be met. -Vague job responsibilities that are cited when operators complain about something not being within their purview.

2 people found this review helpful

Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear you have had the opportunity to learn. Our company values the opinions and input of each employee, which is why we appreciate your honesty in this review. If you’d like to discuss any specific issues, please contact HR at - recruitinggh@natera.com.

7. 3.0

Good coworkers and benefits

Oct 8, 2022 - Clinical Laboratory Operator I in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed my coworkers at Natera. The benefits were solid enough: 2 weeks PTO, healthcare, life insurance, vision and dental

Cons

The work was very boring and monotonous. The management was lackluster and communication was very poor

Be the first to find this review helpful

Natera Response

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the many benefits we offer to our employees. We will take into consideration the points you have brought up as we expand the growth of our company. Thanks, Recruiting Team recruitinggh@natera.com

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Slow Motion Management Train Wreck

Nov 15, 2022 - Technical Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The most important piece of information you should garner from my comments here is that WHERE you are working (i.e. which department) at Natera is crucial. There are some fantastic folks working here. Some of the most intelligent, dedicated, passionate, and just plain amazing folks I've ever worked with, I met at Natera. Plain and simple; to many people at Natera, working here is a MISSION... not a job. I loved that. It reminded me very much of my experience as a new-to-white-collar-jobs young person in the late 1990's when I worked in the Internet space (yeah, before it was "I.T."... people here KNOW they are part of a paradigm shift in healthcare, and that their work is making a difference in people's lives. Yes, the company is not always perfect; and its people aren't either, but everyone knows their efforts are truly impacting lives. It was a very humbling and empowering experience to work at Natera, and I don't regret it for a moment. HOWEVER, there are some very significant drawbacks to working here (which I'll get into under the "Cons" section below). Suffice it to say the bottom line is, the corporate culture at Natera has shifted (negatively) as it has become more of a major player in the genomics research field. Alas, for the moment, let's stick to the positive aspects about working for Natera.... The People. The brain trust here - and the sheer number of people who just plain "give a crap" - is astonishing. It's just plain overwhelming how many amazing people I met while working here. I cannot say enough good things about that. However, WHERE you work and WHO you work for make all the difference. Here's a list of departments you SHOULD want to work for at Natera, because the culture in them is positive and you are more likely to feel valued and appreciated... - Clinical Ops - Accessioning - Logistics - Lab Ops Not saying the work is easy, but politically, those are all good places to land. Especially, Accessioning and Logistics are the un-sung heroes of any bio-tech company, and Natera has some really good folks here in spades. If you want to grow your career in those areas, you cannot go wrong getting hired at Natera. Sales, I cannot say and I have no opinion. I have worked with some Sales folks (who were great, btw), but I cannot comment on what it's like to work in that department. Software Developer. If you are a "Dev" then this is a good company (in ENGine