National Academy for State Health Policy Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 13 reviews

3.1
  1. "Office Manager"

Former Employee - Office Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Academy for State Health Policy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of support from around the organization, regular checkins, and great culture.

Cons

Change moved pretty slow and some of the groups were very compartmentalized. Hard to help each other on different projects.

National Academy for State Health Policy2016-04-12
  2. "Great Co-workers"

Former Employee - Policy Associate in Portland, ME

I worked at National Academy for State Health Policy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked at NASHP for over 3 years and can firmly say that the people that work here are wonderful coworkers. They are smart, passionate, and really care about their work. There is never a dull moment and you are constantly learning and gaining great experience. I believe strongly that the skills I learned at NASHP really advanced me to the next level of my career. The CEO made it a point to have an exit interview...

Cons

I really struggled with my work/life balance at NASHP. There is a lot of work to do and not enough people to do it. NASHP has struggled with making their office a more inclusive place, and I am hopeful that they will continue efforts to diversify their staff.

Advice to Management

Your employees are experts on how to make NASHP a great place- keep listening to them and use their feedback!

National Academy for State Health Policy2019-06-10
  3. "Not welcoming for people of color"

Pros

Great benefits and pay

Cons

Turnover rate for people of color is significant. The culture of the company is not one that is welcoming and prohibits you from from feeling comfortable and safe at work.

National Academy for State Health Policy2019-06-06

"White Woman Dominated Toxic Environment w/Constant Turnover"

Former Employee - Policy Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

The best reason to work here is as a placeholder, so you can get paid while looking for a real job. The younger staff can be really fun and delightful, if they're there long enough for you to get to know them.

Cons

No room for growth unless you are in the Portland office. Managers have no consideration for their employees as humans; they just care about CMS thinking NASHP is good enough to receive the next grant. I never received any positive feedback, only ire when I didn't meet my boss' amorphous standards. NASHP really just maintains the health care status quo instead of doing any meaningful work toward advancing "health policy...

Advice to Management

Maybe actually invest in or care about your employees? Management knows there is a high turnover rate and has just accepted that new employees are numbers who probably won't last long but can always be replaced.

National Academy for State Health Policy2018-12-18

"Easy to be proud of your work"

I worked at National Academy for State Health Policy full-time

Pros

The range of issues and materials you get to work on is excellent. The people at the organization itself are lovely, and you get the chance to work with a ton of accomplished state officials. For young professionals getting into the field this is an excellent place to hone research and writing skills. There’s a collaborative environment and the teams are small enough that once you get your feet wet you are trusted with...

Cons

At least while I was there the teams were pretty silo-ed, so opportunities for advancement and growth were not standardized across the organization. Some managers are much stronger than others at mentoring and promoting their team members interests.

Advice to Management

Create a roadmap to growth and promotion for staff that is standardized across policy teams. While yes some ability to promote/hire is constrained by grants and project needs, managers can be much more proactive and communicative with their staff on how to achieve benchmarks and build their career at NASHP (this may mean that staff occasionally switch teams, or other creative options.)

National Academy for State Health Policy2018-08-22
    • "Great People, Decent Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Wonderfully passionate people, some important policy work, not a super intense work environment. Your experience might depend on what department you end up in. Good spring board/first job.

Cons

Not super clear how to get promoted. Not a lot of people of color

Advice to Management

Invest in your staff's development and morale to avoid high turnover. Hire a real chief of staff for the executive director and a real technology lead. Stop hiring out to contractors

National Academy for State Health Policy2018-07-31
    • "Chaotic, Unprofessional Management Creates 50% Turnover in the Past Year"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at National Academy for State Health Policy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many of the policy areas employees get to work on are genuinely fascinating

Cons

1) Unethical HR and management practices characterized by passive-aggressive manipulation, poor communication, and petty grievances. 2) Insecurity concerning the company's own value leading to a "scarcity mindset" that inhibits the growth and well-being of talented employees. 3) Needlessly stressful, demoralizing work culture built on fear and intimidation.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees as resources to be invested in, rather than objects to be exploited. The organization has the potential to do important work. Unfortunately, management has created a reputation as a partner not worth collaborating with. Talented, hard-working staff leave quickly for greener pastures once they realize the extent of the dysfunction.

National Academy for State Health Policy2018-05-13
    • "Development"

Former Employee - Director of Development in Washington, DC

Pros

nice group of people, decent benefits

Cons

Upper management wishes to maintain small size organization

National Academy for State Health Policy2017-05-01
    • "Policy Associate"

Former Employee - Policy Associate in Portland, ME

Pros

I had the opportunity to work for a number of policy initiatives and was given the opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The organization has undergone a considerable amount of turnover and restructuring in the last few years.

Advice to Management

Seek input from staff members concerning strategic direction of the organization.

National Academy for State Health Policy2017-03-04
    • "Experience Depends on the Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Great Benefits, a nonprofit that operates like a corporation. If you are interested in politics and policies a great job for policy wonks.

Cons

Some teams work in isolation it isn't a good model when you job is to work with all the teams. Each team has a different culture which can pose problems in overall organizational culture. High resistance remote work.

Advice to Management

Get on board with more flexible work schedules.

National Academy for State Health Policy2015-08-08