National Agricultural Statistics Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Statistician"

Current Employee - Statistician
    Current Employee - Statistician

I have been working at National Agricultural Statistics Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance, most of the training is "on the job" so there's a very 'relaxed' feel to learning your job (and you're always learning no matter how long you've been here).

Cons

Pay, FERS FRAE costs an additional 4.4% of your salary, some co-workers are great but for ever hard worker there's 5 slacking.

Advice to Management

I think management is very nice and accommodating especially when it comes to asking for time off. However, I wish they would manage a little more.. you sometimes feel like no-one is in charge.

2. "Best of Luck! I Think You Can Find Better Employment Elsewhere."

Former Employee - Statistician in Washington, DC

I worked at National Agricultural Statistics Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You will usually be paid correctly and many people are hardworking

Cons

I have worked at several places in government before, NASS is a bit of an oddity. There is definitely a cultish good-old-boy network at NASS, but this seems to be dying at HQ, but lives in the field offices.

Senior management seems to have little understanding of actual problems in the agency; instead, they charge after windmills more often then not. There is little technical knowledge in senior management, and they frequently don't understand the essential components of the tasks they are in charge of.

Supervisors can be great or absolutely terrible. This goes for teams as well.

Basic computing is extremely difficult, with many VPN issues and the Citrix desktop is extremely slow. Reading a pdf can be extremely difficult.

Lots of infighting between divisions, the only way to get things done is to work around management.

HR isn't handled within NASS, instead it is out-sourced to AFM. If you have an issue with pay or benefits, you are effectively SOL. The hiring process is also extremely problematic, where it may take 6-9 months from application to start the job.

Advice to Management

Make sure the problems you are addressing are actual problems and coherent. Fix the hiring process, it is insulting to applicants.

3. "Try to learn as much as you can about the agency before signing on"

I worked at National Agricultural Statistics Service full-time

Pros

NASS hires all the time. There is alot of opportunity in DC for higher-level work. There are some good people in this agency pushing for change--and for them I give the extra star. "Family" culture that appeals to some people. Some people find a niche at NASS that works for them. It looks good on a resume.

Cons

There is, at the field office level, a divide between survey and estimates side work that can be toxic in some field offices. Upward mobility is very limited for everyone, but especially for people who get stuck on survey side.

Advice to Management

Try to think critically and long-term. So many things about this agency need to be overhauled, it's going to take some vision. I don't see why the turnover rate is such a mystery to you. You need to treat your people better, make job descriptions more realistic so that new hires don't feel they've been had, and work to change the things that you can--which is actually many.

4. "Wasn't worth my time"

Former Employee - Statistician in Washington, DC

I worked at National Agricultural Statistics Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

"Statistician" on your CV will impress future employers, especially if you back it up with skills that you have cultivated independently or somewhere aside from NASS.

Cons

Deceptive recruiting practices. I talked to 3 managers before starting. Not one of them was honest about the organization and what I would be doing. There were alot of omissions and some flat out lies. If I hadn't signed a service contract, I would have quit my first week. Everything about this tiny agency is broken and substandard. If you are a real statistician or if you've had graduate education in quanitative or research methods, NASS's "methods" will shock you. The culture is lame. If you get stuck on survey side (vs. estimates) promotion to GS12 is unlikely. Even for estimates "statisticians", promotion beyond GS12 is unlikely. Morale is low. The culture is lame. I wish I had known about the "Best Places to Work in the Federal Government" rankings. If I had known NASS's ranking before I took the job, I would have run the other way.

Advice to Management

My experience with you and NASS in general almost killed my interest in working for the federal government. Fortunately I moved on to a federal job that is actually worth doing. It's laughable that your "solution committes" focus on somehow "recruiting the right people" to improve retention. You are so obtuse that it never occurs to you that you and your sketchy little organization are the problem.

"Job, NOT A Career"

I have been working at National Agricultural Statistics Service full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, telework permitted and encouraged (by most supervisors)
    Looks good on resume
    Fun workshops you can attend annually

Cons

Pay is downright horrible...with a M.S you averaged about 55k. Benefits are nice, but VERY expensive, OOPC are about 400 a month for self plus 1. Bosses are so enthralled in "diversity" they hire subpar people... if they even hire people. It is not abnormal for the hiring process to take 8 months... and they wonder why they are understaffed. People high up in the corporation at the HQ level are ignorant and careless to what is happening at the FO level. They have clueless people in the processing department, relatively new hires unfortunately went through many paperwork errors that in turn cost them thousands of dollars. Just a poorly managed company all around.

Advice to Management

Get managers who are competent, and who know something about agriculture. They should know basic agriculture terms, for example, the manager in my location called a "combine" a COMMABINE. This is the face of the USDA? The United States Department of AGRICULTURE?

6. "Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Enumerator in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Enumerator in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at National Agricultural Statistics Service part-time

Pros

The management treat you like family. They do quarterly parties for people who have had birthdays over the past months. Gave each employee an additional $50 to work on a Saturday so that we could complete a report in time. Great for people who have a day job and need additional income or even college students. Very laid back. Let you make up your own schedule and only require a minimum of 12 hours a week to stay employed. Start out at $10.77 an hour and give a dollar raise after 6 months. Not too shabby!

Cons

Always getting new reports(surveys) and have mandatory training at least once a month.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Survey statistician in field"

Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Survey Statistician in Louisville, KY

Pros

I don't necessarily agree with the reviews saying about this organization is. I think it really depends on your manager. I feel like I've really lucked out. I've gotten new projects constantly I'm much more busy than I was when I worked in Washington DC. I think there is room for training and you also get to travel if you work in the field office. I would recommend the service if you had a choice.

Cons

Working in the field office, there might be some delay and promotion. Management does ask that new employees look to move to Washington DC at some point. However majority of people that work in the field office is like to stay there their entire career.

"Stable Employment, Little Growth"

Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Mathematical Statistician in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Agricultural Statistics Service (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable employment, telework opportunities exist, and opportunities for statisticians with BA/BS degrees.

Cons

Telework is highly dependent upon department. Little upward mobility in non-management roles. IT problems make it difficult to work.

Advice to Management

Allow more telework for people who work well from home. Provide more upward advancement in technical roles.

9. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Telephone Enumerator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Telephone Enumerator in Chicago, IL

I worked at National Agricultural Statistics Service (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexable schedule. Ideal for a person working two jobs.

Cons

Management was inexperienced as it relates to handling outbound list.

Advice to Management

Listen to experienced employees with prior experience in call center management.

10. "Ok"

Former Employee - Agriculture Field Inspector (Field Enumerator) in Tulare, CA
    Former Employee - Agriculture Field Inspector (Field Enumerator) in Tulare, CA

I worked at National Agricultural Statistics Service (Less than a year)

Pros

It was good pay better than I could get while as a student in college during the summer.

Cons

Not much room to grow. Something to do if need a little bit of money, do not mind working in the heat or early in the morning to try to get work in before it gets too hot, do not mind driving around.