National Aquarium Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
John Racanelli

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work, hard to move up"

I have been working at National Aquarium part-time

Pros

-Great coworkers and Amazing team mentality

Cons

-Really hard to move up

"Lots of potential"

Former Employee - Guest Service Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Guest Service Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Aquarium full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are is alot of potential at the aquarium for this department. A fun job with good benefits and decent pay for what it is.

Cons

A good bit of nepotism in the department
    The Aquarium as a whole needs a management/director changeup.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of change

"Various Departments"

I worked at National Aquarium full-time

Pros

Animal care staff is knowledgeable, professional and stellar with guests. The guest services professionals are hardworking, friendly and make long, busy days easier and even fun for all staff. Your peers in any department and transforming interactions with guests are what makes working at the aquarium worthwhile. The benefits offered are pretty stellar.

Cons

The aquarium's leadership has an agenda that is steeped in private interests and an insatiable thirst for renown - not what is best for its own staff, the animal collection, the visitors or the citizens of Baltimore City. Welfare of certain species takes a backseat to what will make good headlines and get likes on social media. Morale of the staff overall is very low as a result of a bully CEO, revolving staff, constant questions about the fate of the dolphin exhibit without any hard answers, poor safety for staff walking to and from facility, and disregard for the financial state of affairs for most visitors. The aquarium has lost its position of favorite animal attraction in the city by shooting itself in the foot with astronomical ticket prices for a mediocre collection of species and exhibits, spending on an expensive new wildlife rehabilitation center (in an unsafe part of town that they expect guests to walk to when they can't even keep their own staff safe) when the main facility needs so much work. The average staffers see all of these inconsistencies and false positives while HR and the leadership boasts how great a place it is to work. Everyone stays quiet because they know if they're not positive, they'll be dealt with accordingly. The benefits are the only thing the institution does right for its staff but the wages are laughable and slow to increase over time despite performance; although this trend is standard across an industry, it is especially difficult for staff living in a city and state with a higher than average cost of living. Don't work here without asking for the upper end of your desired pay rate or until changes are made at the top. It's only worth staying a year or two for paid experience... then get out.

Advice to Management

I'm not sure what to say since it's highly unlikely any advice will be taken by leadership or a board hand-picked to agree with the leadership. One can only hope this amazing institution survives this bleak period and sees a renaissance the whole city can enjoy and benefit from (not just the upper echelon) under new leadership at some point.

Nov 2, 2017

The National Aquarium welcomes your feedback. While I share your appreciation for our passionate staff, I am deeply disappointed by your overall comments. As you note, the heartbeat of National... More

4. "exhibition guide"

I worked at National Aquarium full-time

Pros

a lot of fun to work with

Cons

difficult to park, parking fee expensive

5. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at National Aquarium part-time

Pros

Be able to share your love of conservation and aquatic life and integrate it into the guest experience

Cons

Not a set schedule, many long hours on your feet

Advice to Management

Keep on the same page and develop a better training program

"It's OK, I guess"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at National Aquarium full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Generous PTO, individual teams work well together, the mission, the animals

Cons

the executive team is terrible; the department i worked in was great, and most employees i knew felt the same way, but then nobody trusts any other group, everything is about finger pointing and second guessing what someone else did

Advice to Management

stop being so worried about blaming someone when something goes wrong

Jul 18, 2017

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here at the National Aquarium – we value the opportunity to hear from our staff, past and present.
    I am happy to hear that you connect to our mission and... More

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at National Aquarium part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quiet and calm and the team members were nice

Cons

Not even enough hours of working a week

Advice to Management

More hours

Jun 16, 2017 – Staff Engagement Manager

Thank you for your comments. Addressing employee concerns is a priority at the National Aquarium, and feedback is valued at every level. As a 24-hour operation that is open 363 days per year, we... More

8. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at National Aquarium full-time

Pros

The National Aquarium is not only filled with fascinating fish, it's filled with passionate people! As a recent new hire, I have found the culture to be very welcoming and authentic.

Everyday, I learn something new. It is exciting to see the immediate impact the National Aquarium team has on supporting each other while supporting the mission ”to inspire conservation of our aquatic treasures.”

The engagement of the staff translates to the guests, and it's awesome to see the community connect with the mission -- hands on!

Cons

Fast paced & fun, not for everyone. If you join the team, get ready to work!

"NAI PROS & CONS"

I have been working at National Aquarium full-time

Pros

Benefit package (48 Holiday Hours, PTO... etc. )
    Great beginner job for college students.

Cons

Hard to move up within the company.

10. "Great Place to Work: Your Career is Your Oyster!"

I have been working at National Aquarium full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

No cons to call out!

Advice to Management

Great work!