National Association of Home Builders Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Jerry Howard

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Positive experience at a trade group."

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

National presence, chance to work with national partners. They don't seem to run staff into the ground, like other D.C. trades with very limited staff capacity.

Cons

Large bureaucracy - hard to get new ideas off the ground or get approval for projects quickly.

Advice to Management

Promote younger leaders, those handling large responsibilities.

2. "Solid Association"

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good benefits (PTO, 401K match, etc), allows telecommuting up to two days a week (supervisor dependant), casual Friday's.

Cons

Challenging building environment for members (labor shortages). Membership is flat with no growth in sight. Members can be challenging - expectation that all staff work on weekends and vacation - like they do. Total national staff capped so unlikely to create new positions unless someone leaves or position is repurposed.

Advice to Management

Embrace new technology.

3. "Program Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great work life balance while working here. It is a well established organization, with great members that are engaging and have amazing conferences.

Cons

Things move a little slow. I constantly was waiting for decisions to be made and looking for more work to fill my time.

4. "Enjoyed it but had to move one"

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

NAHB is a great place to work - well funded organization with good members and a noble cause. I started out there early in my career and I wish I could have stayed there longer.

Cons

Many of the pros turn into cons - people tend to work there for a long time making it difficult for young employees to move up the ladder. While these longer tenured employees bring lots of institutional knowledge, they also tend to be resistant to change and trying new things. Also, while the membership is very involved and care, they are probably too involved and it is even more difficult for the organization to make changes.

Advice to Management

Find some way to make the organization more innovative and allow employees more options/freedom to move within the organization.

5. "Senior Management encourages staff to work in silos"

Pros

The members are very involved.

Cons

Even when departments are required to work together, all work needs to up to the department senior then to the other department senior and down to mangers.

6. "Government Affairs"

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What is great about NAHB is who they are. They represent some of the best people the United States has to offer.

Cons

Government affairs was a clique. It was very odd, people who openly talked about having sex with other employees, at conferences, and events, (to me) a very clear violation of any HR standard. But because that was an employee that was liked by Senior Staff, it was ok. Just something I always thought was weird. If you were in, it was ok. If you were not, it was not ok. In my 2 years there, I tried to break through, because I thought it would help me, to obviously befriend other staffers, I never seemed to break through.

7. "Fantastic Colleagues"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Brilliant colleagues
    Professional environment
    Lots of learning opportunities

Cons

NAHB doesn't reward entrepreneurial spirit
    Wing clipping is common
    Very heirarchical

Advice to Management

Hit 'Refresh'
    Stop trying to get better at what you do today and think about tomorrow or you won't have to worry about it.
    The 'Back to Basics' philosophy is not a winning path

8. "Director"

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and overall, members are very nice to work with and appreciative of staff's efforts.

Cons

The Board of Directors is way too large (over 1,000 members) and not very open to change.

Advice to Management

Department Groups run by different senior managers have different standards for rewarding staff. Examples include distribution of summer hours. Some Senior Managers group smaller departments with larger departments which allows staff to work just one full day of the summer. Other Senior Managers make smaller departments work independently, which means some staff have to work full days every other Friday.

"Fun Job"

I worked at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and people to work with.

Cons

The strength of the housing economy is weakening and jobs and payroll increases were not great.

10. "Great colleagues, great people"

I have been working at National Association of Home Builders full-time

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, talented people, good place to have a lengthy career, AND free coffee

Cons

Not many to mention. I wish there were a cafe in the building to get a sit down lunch.