National Automobile Dealers Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Phillip D. Brady

"Unprofessional and drama filled"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many good individuals and teams that do great work for the auto industry. The CEO is great, and NADA offers flexible hours, good benefits, competitive pay, and encourages continuing training/education, etc. The middle management I dealt with was reponsive and supportive, so I had mixed feelings about leaving.

Cons

Poor upper management with inconsistent policies/procedures, who tolerate (even seems to encourage) unprofessional behavior from some very disrespectful employees. Certain members of upper management tend to make decisions based on limited background information. And yes, I left of my own accord-so this is not a case of sour grapes. Some newer members of upper management seem bound and determined to tear apart a basically good organization, which is sad. I couldn't watch it anymore. I left before I became a target.

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees, not just a chosen few. Do their homework and get to the root of and properly address yhe problems instead of taking the word of others (who definitely seem to have an agenda) as gospel. A few bad apples are certainly doing there best to bring down the organization, and you are playing right along with them. Get a backbone and stop the game playing.

2. "Fantastic Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

NADA has a fantastic benefits package. I learned a lot while I was there and earned a lot of good experience and met a lot of great people.

Cons

The association down-sized quite a bit over the past couple of years. It's unclear what it will look like in 5 years.

Advice to Management

None.

"3 Pros, Countless Cons"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Pros

Work/Life Balance. The association provides a 37.5/hr work week making Life possible. Many positions are filled internally and the benefits are fantastic. While associated with this organization they were extremely member focused though with the recent changes and downsizing not sure this will remain.

Cons

Internal politics are difficult to navigate and the HR department does not provide consistent, documented, processes and guidelines making it difficult to for those managing staff. HR oversteps their authority often interjecting their personal opinion into matters regarding staff. Organization keen on providing training but higher level management/officers do not participate resulting in staff not being aligned with corporate goals.

Advice to Management

Create and communicate clearly the mission for the organization. Involve all supporting departments and ensure they understand where they "fit in".

5. "Evolving and adapting company, and a great place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked here for over a year now, and paid attention to the venting former employees on glass door. Being new to this company coming in, I was skeptical and cautious from the reviews I saw. After working here for a year, I decided to leave an honest review of NADA. People have to understand that NADA is made up of different departments with different operating models. The Academy is bar none to wanting to help educate our dealers. The employees of the Academy are on the same page as well - wanting to provide better education to help the members grow as a business. NADA did do away with their NADART department - and obviously people had to be laid off - but it was strategic to come back to a more focused association, and to become a faster moving "ship" for the companies direction.

The "good ol' boy" culture is going to the wayside. The people who were major contributors to this have been let go, and the company is in fact moving in a better direction - paying much closer attention to its members and employees. Telecommuting is back on the table, so is more casual dress, and in the past 12 months happier employees because of the changes. People are now recognized for their hard work, and communication from management is improving. The Benefits are incredible too. Ample days off too

Don't let this be a venting place for disgruntled employees - because it truly has good intentions, and is putting its money where its mouth is. NADA is now small enough to have a family feel - and they legitimately care about their employees. Communication has improved so issues can be addressed. The older employees who are still "stuck in the past" are hesitant, but the new hires are running circles around them now, and enjoying what they do. The culture is changing for the good.

Cons

Now I didn't drink the koolaid - if that's what you are thinking. NADA still has work ahead of it, and still needs to keep the momentum up. The culture shift and attitudes are finally coming around, however the cons are that the older employees with the older culture are resistant, and do not want to take accountability. "that isn't my job" is an issue - when we ARE customer focused.

Communication between departments is an issue - so is collaborative efforts between departments - however, it has evolved to the better and will continue to.

advancement depending on department can be slow - but NADA still recognizes hard work, and pays accordingly with raises and bonuses.

Advice to Management

telework every other Friday? Continue to improve communication, and flush the old culture, disgruntled employees out - those who are left. NADA is a great place to work, and the only thing holding them back is their tenured employees.

"NADA Great Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people and great benefits -- learned a great deal about the car business and the true prices of cars

Cons

Not a great deal of diversity or mobility

Advice to Management

Create career paths and evaluate based on results and performance not who knows who

"Senior Plan Information Specialist 401(k)"

Current Employee - Senior Plan Information Specialist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Plan Information Specialist in McLean, VA

I have been working at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Reliable, fair, and equitable employer

Cons

Industry consolidation in the retirement field is causing an outsourcing of the retirement division.

8. "Great company, great people. Decent salaries"

Former Employee - NADART in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - NADART in McLean, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

--Great benefits
    --Robust 401k matching
    --Employees are like family
    --HR department
    --Decent salaries for the area
    --Work/life balance
    --Always room for growth and promotions, new job postings are available practically every week

Cons

-Highly affected by ups and downs of automobile industry
    -Layoffs can be abrupt and heartless

Advice to Management

Have more employee gatherings in addition to the Christmas luncheon.

"Leaving here was one of the best moves I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at National Automobile Dealers Association (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good hotels if having to travel for the convention

Cons

The employee morale is AWFUL
    HR is a mess. They have favorites.
    Management has favorites
    Very "clickish" environment
    Work hours are 8:30 a.m., to 4:45 p.m. (and don't be late)!
    No opportunities for growth
    Old school culture
    "Good ol' Boy" system
    Doesn't operate as a typical trade association. More like a copirate America giant who could care less.
    No opportunities for telecommuting.
    Lay-offs are very typical here.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the old school mentality!

"Outdated with low morale"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at National Automobile Dealers Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The majority of employees have their own office. Great benefits. Lots of time off. 401k plan is very good.

Cons

The lowest morale of any company that I have ever worked for. Upper management is clueless. No open door policy. Never allowed to telework. The employees are miserable.

"It was good while it lasted"

Former Employee - Financial in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Financial in McLean, VA

Pros

Decent hours, proper pay, some good management

Cons

Low moral, ignored potential, not a lot of stability. Any incentives for employees were taken away.

Advice to Management

Look with in the company for growth into the future. Value the employees and their ideas.