National Capitol Contracting Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2018

3.2
National Capitol Contracting President & CEO Chris Marquez (no image)
Chris Marquez

"NCC is a company that won't stop until the customer is satisfied. Whatever it takes."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A down to Earth type of company. No wall between individual contributor and executive level. Customers are happy with their service and keep coming back for more.

Cons

None that I know of.

"Do your time, move on."

2.0

I worked at National Capitol Contracting full-time

Pros

NCC works with many exciting clients, and the work can be very interesting depending on the client you work with.

Cons

All the buzzwords are said, but not pursued in the MEPS division. For example, "transparency" and/or "accountability" are made popular in conversation, but lack the application in the workplace.

Continue reading

"A company that feels like family"

4.0
    Current Employee - Current Contract Employee At Customer Site in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well connected with government contracting. Executive team really wants their employees to be happy. Open to ideas and suggestions. Company is growing with opportunity for career advancement.

Cons

Many jobs are contracts where you are not located at headquarters but on site of the contract. May have a few growing pains.

Continue reading

"A Good Place to Gain Invaluable Work Experience"

4.0
    Current Employee - AV Production Associate (Former Multimedia Editor) in Washington, DC

Pros

-friendly work atmosphere, everyone is great to work with and there are a lot of fun office events that allow you to get to know everyone -potential for job growth and salary increases each year (with bonuses handed out as well) but you must earn it and show it. Don't expect to just get by doing a routine job daily. -young and fresh atmosphere, even the work stays with the modern times and the company is always moving with the times technologically -good contract work experiences that will challenge different skill sets on a daily basis (no two days are the same here) -healthy balance of office work with 'on-site' style work where you can work face to face with clients -decent pay and pretty solid benefits

Cons

-the entry-level media positions can sometimes feel underappreciated and there are only a few times a year to get a chance for recognition -some projects are never clearly articulated. Poor communication can sometimes cause more problems than solutions -while not a negative per se, hours can be extremely variable, expect to be flexible as projects can sometimes take way longer to finish or a client might have a last minute request that could keep you there an extra hour/expect you to come in far earlier/infrequent holiday work depending on the client or work load

Continue reading

"NCC is a Company that Cares About Its Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Arlington, VA

Pros

- They care about their employees: any time I've ever had an issue, I've discussed it with a supervisor, and management has always worked with me to find a resolution. I've also had several meetings over the two and a half years with this company where the only goal was to figure out what I like to do, what I don't like to do, and how I'd like to grow within and even outside the company. My supervisor knew I was interested in publishing and writing, and I was given more content writing and editing responsibilities as a result, to not only help the company, but to build a skillset that could be useful to the publishing industry should I ever decide to leave NCC. - They really show they care when an employee needs time off, whether it be to travel the world or to have time with a new baby, anything. NCC knows living life matters more than constant work and has historically done whatever it could to allow employees their time off. - There's room for growth: you're not restricted to the role you were hired for; if you ask questions, get involved, do good work, and you enjoy something particular that you've tried, NCC has always been good, in my experience, about allowing you to continue doing those tasks you find most fulfilling. - Remote work: after I worked for a year at headquarters, NCC allowed me to work full-time from home, and that's had a hugely positive impact on my quality of life. - Even remote workers are eligible for promotion, if the job allows. - I love just about everyone I work with. We like to have fun, and we're accountable to one another in our work. - NCC recognizes accomplishments, and your peers recognize them, too. From peer-written "brag box" notes to handing out awards to outstanding employees at company-wide meetings, if you work hard, you're bound to get noticed for it. - They give in-house employees a lot of opportunities for socialization, which, of course, includes food.

Cons

- The biggest issue overall is lack of communication, but we are a growing company, so some of it is to be expected. NCC has a habit of sometimes not telling employees of news relevant to them or their career goals, and that causes undue frustration and upset. However, the few times this has affected me personally, my supervisor made it a point to have a meeting and hash out the issues, and we usually came to some kind of solution. While the company still has some work to do in this area, they became aware of the problem and are working on a communications plan to address and prevent future issues. - NCC doesn't offer much social interaction for those who work remotely, though I think they would if they could think of something worthwhile to do with everyone. - They don't pay as much as some other employers in the area, but I have been given a raise three times in my two-and-a-half years, so they're open to increasing your salary if you earn it. - It's harder to get promoted when you work from home, as they often want a physical presence at headquarters -- that being said, it's most certainly not impossible since I recently earned a promotion after working from home for over a year. - NCC sometimes focuses too much on numbers (efficiency and profitability) and not enough on quality of the work. This causes a chain reaction where editors race the clock, and the quality control person then has extra work to do because the editor rushed, which leaves a lot of unnecessary work for the QC'er and probably costs the company more money than it would have if the editor slowed down. However, to address this issue, they have begun emphasizing the idea that editors are accountable to one another, that we should do good work so that the next person has a quality document to work with, and I think that will help improve quality in the long run, while we’re still meeting or exceeding efficiency goals.

"A Fine Way to Pay Rent"

I worked at National Capitol Contracting full-time

Pros

It's decent first job for a liberal arts grad Young people

Cons

Management Work Culture is nonexistent

"Growing pains will remain growing pains. Run away!"

2.0

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time

Pros

The new office space is nice. This sums it all.

Cons

Poor management of divisions. Inept project managers and executives. Lack of professionals with federal contracting experience. You will not learn anything of substance here. The transparency management try to exude among employees is a hoax and covers up a much bigger and darker picture. Not one soul enjoys working there as the work week is saturated with inefficient meetings and poor professional direction. Executive staff has been poorly selected with plenty of insecurities, so even if you are doing your job, you will be scrutinized based on their misconception of how a small business should be run. This company does not value professionals as it stands today. Turnover is at an all time high and will continue to climb. The decisions NCC has made over the past 12 months has broken up the growth process with declining revenues/profits and disgruntled employees. The owner of NCC is out of tune with operations and admin staff accomplishments and relies on poor executive staff advice which has lead to the turmoil.

Continue reading

"Good people, low salary, tedious work"

Former Employee - Editor

I worked at National Capitol Contracting full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Salaried work & good professional experience for recent grads with editing/writing backgrounds -Good people within the ranks

Cons

-Extremely low salary for the area -Work is tedious and repetitive - if you crave challenge/variety, editing at NCCwill be a poor fit for you -Small organization, but divisions are still incedibly siloed from upper management which has lead to constant morale problems (especially amongst editors/transcribers) going unnoticed -Upward career paths are either non-existent or non-transparent to low level employees, which contributes to frequent turnover (within 1.5 years, approx. half of the staff I had started with had turned over at least once)

Continue reading

"Growing company, room for advancement"

Transcript Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at National Capitol Contracting for more than a year

Pros

- If you work hard and play well with a team, you'll be given opportunities to branch out or advance up the ranks. - Youthful staff that's fun to work with.

Cons

- The work itself can be a bit repetitive and soul-crushing, depending on the team you're assigned to. - Pay is below average. - Fast company growth can be good for career advancement, but stressful and chaotic day-to-day.

"An Opportunity to Make an Impact"

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time

Pros

NCC cultivates an inviting working atmosphere by maintaining a healthy balance between employee relations and customer support. As a small company, NCC welcomes new ideas and fresh perspectives, and isn’t bound by the layers of bureaucracy found in large companies; adjustments to processes and procedures can occur when they’re needed most, which allows the organization to address concerns before they become systemic. The company emphasizes employee culture and morale, with a variety of opportunities to engage in social activities with team members across divisions. Management (up to and including the CEO) regularly contribute to social and morale activities, which helps establish personal connections that strengthen professional advancement opportunities as well as contributions to the business end of the company. With new business opportunities appearing regularly on the horizon, NCC offers job stability and security. Team member who demonstrate a willingness to learn and master new skills are generally first to be considered for advancement opportunities as they become available.

Cons

The equipment and office location are in need of upgrades. A scheduled relocation to a new location is welcome news. As the company has many young people who are familiar with technology as well as modern workspaces, customizable workstations (monitor stands, standing desks, etc.) may continue to increase morale. As many positions are entry-level, turnover among staff results in regular adjustments to learning professional and office culture expectations among the team. Because of the niche nature of the industry, academic and professional preparation for government contracting is rare among entry-level staff; continued company emphasis on transparency between individual positions and the organization’s service lines may help clarify and encourage commitment to broader company-wide goals.

Found 32 reviews