National Capitol Contracting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Chris Marquez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Honest, stable, rewarding work close to your passions"

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time

Pros

Many people are attracted to NCC because the company offers an opportunity to work in fields close to their interests in video, audio, writing, and other related technology. Having come from a large, fast paced, contractor-driven video production group prior to NCC, what attracted me was the opportunity honest, stable, rewarding work that was still close to my passions.

There is a strong culture of opportunity at NCC, and a strong culture of rewarding those who stick around to see where the ship goes.

New areas and service lines are opening up all the time. Company had grown steadily, in a sustainable way.

Cons

Some typical small company growing pains. The workspace has been upgraded at several intervals over time. Several processes and formalities have needed to be developed as the number of employees has grown.

"Growing company, room for advancement"

Former Employee - Transcript Editor in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Transcript Editor in Arlington, VA

I worked at National Capitol Contracting (More than a year)

Pros

- If you work hard and play well with a team, you'll be given opportunities to branch out or advance up the ranks.
    - Youthful staff that's fun to work with.

Cons

- The work itself can be a bit repetitive and soul-crushing, depending on the team you're assigned to.
    - Pay is below average.
    - Fast company growth can be good for career advancement, but stressful and chaotic day-to-day.

"Transcript Editor"

Former Employee - Transcript Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Transcript Editor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at National Capitol Contracting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Warm and Nice colleagues, Chance to view client operations from unique vantage point, chance to really, really, sharpen your grammar skills.

Cons

No room for growth, Complete disconnect between management and divisions, Terrible pay for hard, repetitive work, next to no job security.

Advice to Management

Stop being so results-oriented, and consider offering an overall more supportive environment for your employees.

"Solid Management and Great Environment"

Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Executive Team Leader in Arlington, VA

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy working with my colleagues. Lots of smart and fun people who are excited about their jobs. And there are lots of social opportunities after 5:00! Management does a good job addressing employee issues. There's been a lot of understanding and flexibility when I needed an alternate schedule and teleworking from time to time. The company keeps growing so they must be doing something right. I think our office has doubled in size in the 3 years I've been here. Lots of town halls and free food events.

Cons

Sometimes I'm not sure what's going on with new contracts and I'm not sure if I should be applying for other internal positions -- it's not clear to me if I'm qualified or not. Sometimes the execs are so busy that it's hard to get their attention.

Advice to Management

Make more time for employees. Give us more frequent feedback.

"Hidden Gem - Small company with great potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very happy environment
    - Highly focused on culture and ensuring everyone feels comfortable
    - Constantly growing
    - Friendly executive/leadership staff
    - Promotes from within for open job positions
    - Staff compromised of mostly millennials so it's a perfect opportunity for young professionals
    - Monthly happy hours :)

Cons

- Location and building design

"It's a smaller sized company so there are a lot of opportunities for professional growth."

Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Audio Visual Technician in Arlington, VA

I worked at National Capitol Contracting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a smaller sized company so there are a lot of opportunities for professional growth. This is an ambitious company that does not mind exploring new markets and technologies as they emerge

Cons

There can be some disconnect with employees who work remotely or at client locations as opposed to at NCC headquarters. Could use some improvement on health care options.

Advice to Management

N/A

"Pretty Awful except for the happy hours"

I worked at National Capitol Contracting (More than a year)

Pros

Happy Hours at least once a month. Most rank and file employees were terrific.

Cons

Terrible pay. No chance of advancement without massive amounts of brown nosing. Executives have no idea what's going on within their own company and don't seem to care.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like human beings with lives. Pay a decent living wage. Hire middle managers with a purpose beyond providing a buffer between you and the employees. Talk to your staff about what's going on within the company BEFORE things blow up in everyone's faces instead of blaming them for your mistakes afterwards.

"The most unprofessional company I've ever worked for"

I worked at National Capitol Contracting (More than a year)

Pros

Good start for entry level transcribers or editors.

Cons

Very Poor leadership
    High turnover rate- I've seen at least 70 ppl come and go in the short years I was there
    Executive staff gossips about employees and there is not such thing as confidentiality in this place.
    Very Low employee moral
    The performance appraisals are a joke
    They have mistreated so many great employee's
    Management picks and chooses their favorites to promote....there is no such thing as EEO at this place. If you aren't a favorite you do not get an opportunity to grow.
    Management keeps the bonuses and money for themselves the poor staff gets nothing

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your valuable employees invest in them and listen to what they have to say. Learn the laws and follow them. Just because you made yourselves executives and paid yourselves high salaries doesn't mean you know what you are doing except for WH in Business development he does. I wouldn't be surprised is the government shut this place down for breaking numerous laws with their contracts.

"Revolving Door, Out of touch leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at National Capitol Contracting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employment
    Quirky, funny Coworkers with whom you commiseration and hatch escape plans
    Benefits
    Ridiculously easy work

Cons

Terrible and out-of-touch management
    Companies leaders are really out of their depth, also out of touch, and don't realize how under-trained and understaffed departments really are.
    Low morale

Advice to Management

Scale down, not up. In fact, stop trying to scale altogether. Just...focus on

"There is potential here, but it needs to be unlocked."

I have been working at National Capitol Contracting full-time

Pros

* Small, but fast growing company that offers a fair share of career opportunities.
    * Has contracts with some high profile clients.
    * Excellent opportunity to gain invaluable skills in the workplace; ideal for recent college graduates.
    * Peers are simply phenomenal -- the company is filled with friendly, hardworking people who go above and beyond to meet numerous deadlines.
    * Decent benefits package.

Cons

* Turnover rate is generally high, though this depends on the division you work in.
    * The salary is not very competitive and is significantly lower than competing positions in the surrounding area.
    * Management doesn't seem to recognize its core talent and lets great employees get away.
    * Very demanding; overtime and weekend work can be a regular thing (again depending on the division you work in.)
    * Promotions are hard to come by; relatively low growth potential for employees within the company.

Advice to Management

The turnover rate is high in some divisions, because the salary is so low. The company has a track record of hiring good employees and have hit the jackpot with some excellent employees. Identify your core staff members in these divisions and offer them a pay-raise. Despite what you may have heard, great employees are hard to replace. Simply putting a person in a seat does not fill the void.