National Captioning Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Gene Chao

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Live Broadcast Captioner in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at National Captioning Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

First, trust the training process. They really have it down to a science. Some people like to say NCI doesn't pay as well as others -- Not true. They pay full time for the whole day whether on air or not. So, if I'm on air five hours, I am paid for eight. This makes the company equivalent to other big players. If you want more cash, work as an independent contractors, but you won't get any job security or benefits....

Cons

Communication could be a little better, but you can reach out to others for your needs and they will be met. NCI expects people to work independently a lot, which I find perfect for my personality. I wish we had a 401(K) fully vested early in employment.

Advice to Management

Explain some things to new employees a little bit better. We really don't have any idea now the company does things without being told.

National Captioning Institute2017-08-21

"Hard Job, Vicious Management Culture"

Current Employee - Voice Writer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at National Captioning Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you like to be mentally engaged at work and are fond of the news, it's not bad.

Cons

There is an overly-bloated middle management team (particularly at the Supervisor level) that continually tries to justify their existence by making ever-more paper work for staff to perform, in addition to the on-air production requirements. Raises are very rare and meager. They are done to retain (not reward) staff. On average, production staff sees under 20% what the company makes from its labor.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves. Pay your staff.

National Captioning Institute2019-04-29

"Poor "Remote" Leadership; Great Staff on the ground"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Chantilly, VA

I worked at National Captioning Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Executives enjoy working in a fearful environment or walking on virtual eggshells around the CEO. Virtual eggshells, meaning the CEO rules remotely. If you have no life, you will undoubtedly enjoy the work/life balance.

Cons

CEO prefers to rule by fear. I was "asked" to work weekends in order to meet deadlines...or else. All the executives can say is "I'm so sorry..." or "Yeah, I warned you."

Advice to Management

Everyone I met had only "fear" related stories to say about the CEO. I'd say the BOD needs to take action or the turnover will continue.

National Captioning Institute2019-02-19

"Not a terrible gig, unless you hate current events."

Former Employee - Live Voice Writer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at National Captioning Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Interesting job, nice enough co-workers, ability to work from home after completing training and putting in enough time.

Cons

The content was the worst part of the job. The ads for the live voice writer job do stress the fact that you will be watching and captioning mostly news-related programs. If you don't mind watching programs that constantly talk about how awful the current state of things are, then the job might be for you. But otherwise, you are forced to pay attention to ridiculous opinions, sensationalist reporting, and mostly political-related...

Advice to Management

The equipment was rather dated, so my advice would be to update the technology used, if that's possible. But it still works so this isn't a huge deal.

National Captioning Institute2019-01-13
  5. "Accounts Receivable Clerk"

I worked at National Captioning Institute full-time

Pros

Nice and friendly working environment.

Cons

Understaffed when I was with the company, so it got a little overwhelmed.

National Captioning Institute2018-06-27

"Don't Work Here Unless Desperate"

Former Employee - Voice Writer in Santa Clarita, CA

I worked at National Captioning Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can work at home (after a "set" time) Sort of Unlimited Overtime Flexible shifts

Cons

Horrible Management Remote computers they give at-home workers are ancient and garbage, and IT refused to fix problems I was having LOTS of downtime, where you're forced to pay attention to nothing, while you wait until the next scheduled time to work No cost of living pay raise Very little incentive to self-promote yourself also impossible to rise in the ranks depending on your supervisor

Advice to Management

TRAIN your supervisors, the person over me was newly promoted to the positions, accused me of lying to him all the time, didn't inform me correctly of time off hours I had, and generally micromanaged everything I did. Give better computers to remote workers, it's ridiculous to try and work on a 12 year old computer that can't handle the workload. LISTEN when someone complains or says something, I asked for a new supervisor...

National Captioning Institute2018-05-08
  7. "Nice company - good work from home opportunities"

Current Employee - Realtime Captioner

I have been working at National Captioning Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company is very organized in how they provide information to the captioners to assist in preparation for programming. The scheduling is fair - lengthy programs are split among several people to alleviate fatigue. Staff is very nice to work with - very helpful attitude among co-workers - we all want all of us to do well at our jobs. Benefits are adequate, including insurance and paid time off - rare in the captioning...

Cons

As any captioning job, weekend/holiday work is required. However, that is offset by the many pros of working for this company, and employees are allowed to ask for vacation ahead of time, including for holidays and weekends.

National Captioning Institute2018-01-13

"It's a lot better than it could be."

Current Employee - Live Voice Writer

Pros

- works from home - never had to take unpaid time off, always PTO available - lighter workload than many jobs paying less - helps stay up-to-date on current events - provides vital services to those hard of hearing

Cons

- communication can be lacking among supervisors/employees - long periods of time spent talking, rough on the throat - different standards of grading accuracies, usually depends on the grader's personal standard.

Advice to Management

Provide more concrete standards and work to improve communication and transparency throughout the company.

National Captioning Institute2017-11-10
  9. "Captioning is fun"

I worked at National Captioning Institute full-time

Pros

As a captioner, you get paid to watch a lot of TV shows and movies, and that was entertaining. I also enjoyed typing and using my English skills to create high-quality captions. My coworkers were cooperative and friendly, not competitive. It's a nice job for introverts.

Cons

Sometimes there was a very heavy workload. Management duties are not so exciting. Some of the educational shows are not fun. Don't expect to make a lot of money.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the spreadsheets and the math--I'd rather be captioning!

National Captioning Institute2017-11-08

"Nonprofit Shame. This company needs a house cleaning starting at the top!"

I worked at National Captioning Institute full-time

Pros

The employees really care about the service they provide. At least two were willing to lose their jobs in order to hold the company accountable, and it looks like they were successful.

Cons

The NLRB case against the company shows an administrative law judge's scorching remarks about the President of the company and paints a very disturbing observation about the unlawful actions management took against its own employees to prevent a successful union organizing campaign.

Advice to Management

Unlawful and unethical business practices will always catch up to you. When you go to such lengths to prevent your own employees from trying to make things better in the company, it gives the appearance of corruption.

National Captioning Institute2017-09-21