National Carriers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Franck

"Gr8 company to work for"

Former Employee - CDL Driver in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - CDL Driver in Irving, TX

I worked at National Carriers full-time

Pros

Pay is competitive,home time was good. Open door policy means open door policy. All staffing are the best I've ever come across.I would have never left, but needed to stay closer to home.

Cons

I can't complain about anything. Had gr8 communications with staff, kept me busy.

Advice to Management

Need more work, from state that you hire from. Overall I really liked working with this company.

2. "Review NCI"

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Irving, TX

I worked at National Carriers (More than a year)

Pros

New equipment. Great maintenance program.

Cons

To many hours on the road. Low salary. 3 different drive managers in the 1 1/2 that I worked there. Calling dispatch at lunch time.

"Company Driver"

I have been working at National Carriers full-time

Pros

Nice equipment . They say they care but words mean nothing . Okay benefits . Nothing to brag about .

Cons

. Load planners have no idea how to book a load w/o sitting wasting time . Liberal & Dodge City ,Ks you will be do a 34 to 48 hr restart whether you need it or not .

Advice to Management

NCI drivers shouldn't have to sit and wait 2days for loads coming out of Liberal or Dodge City . This is like punishment for wanting time schedule time off . Let's screw the driver out of miles because he is going home let's send him to Dodge City or even Liberal .

"Truck driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Casa Grande, AZ
    Current Employee - Driver in Casa Grande, AZ

Pros

They care about their drivers

Cons

Gone from home to long

"Very good company"

Current Employee - Company Driver in Irving, TX

I have been working at National Carriers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Plenty of miles. Hard work pays off here. If they give you miles and you prove yourself, you will never want for anything that this company can offer.

Cons

I have no real complaints about this fine company. You truly get out of it what you put into It, But if you think 1000 or 1500 miles a week is enough you won't last here.

Advice to Management

Al Love, you rock! If people complain about you it's because they did something stupid and you did your job.

"One of the best companies I've ever worked for and I've been out here 40 plus years"

Current Employee - Lease Driver in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Lease Driver in Irving, TX

I have been working at National Carriers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Where to start they are small enough to feel like family large enough for a person to make a living and actually safe some cash. Honest if you're told something you can bank on it the open door policy is fantastic the president of the company has his door open . At orientation the management people actually come in and introduce themselves. The equipment is top notch and the new elog system rocks. The Elite Fleet is one big family.

Cons

I'm guessing the biggest con is the scheduling on some of the loads but that's a universal thing and some of the shippers and receivers

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you're doing keep the lines of communication open and keep the wheels rolling

"Great company"

Current Employee - Team Driver in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Team Driver in Irving, TX

I have been working at National Carriers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have an open door policy and they actually mean it: waltz right into the Director of Driver Relations' office and say "hey Al, I've got this problem..." and it'll get taken care of. Pay is good, miles are good, and they treat you like an actual human being. I can (and regularly do) walk into the dispatch office and give my dispatcher a hug. She's awesome.

The equipment is amazing. Kenworth T680s with autoshifts, built-in fridge with freezer, cabinets with actual doors, TriPac APUs, and they're not neutered. Trailers are almost all air slide, ThermoKing reefer units, and everything is really well maintained.

Our regular routes bring us through the main terminal pretty often so we can kinda have a normal life while still running our tails off. We even got a PO Box in Irving so we can get mail without going home. Easy!

Cons

I hope you like NYC. While they won't force you to run the City, practically speaking if you want to make good money you'll get intimately familiar with Hunt's Point. But it's really not that bad.

Communication between the load planners and the customer service reps is somewhat lacking, and often the planners don't...well, plan. Solos have much better luck with this than do teams, but honestly NCI isn't built for teams and they're pretty up front about that from the first time you talk to a recruiter. If you're a solo and not a total dingaling, you're gonna run really well.

Terminal amenities are pretty lacking...nice bathrooms and a couple geedunk machines are about it. But they'll put you in a hotel if you ask so this isn't a real biggie.

Advice to Management

Invest a little in amenities for drivers in Irving and the plants in Dodge and Liberal. A couple showers and a washing machine would be awesome...

Have a real sit-down with the load planners and teach them how to plan for a team. I hereby volunteer to help with this.

Get together with the CSRs and planners and figure out why they don't communicate. Especially the NBP and AmeriCold CSRs.

Give a trophy to whoever specs these trucks.

"over the road driver"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Irving, TX

I have been working at National Carriers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great equipment, refrigerators and apu's, also automatic transmission, didn't think I could drive one but Al Love told me it would keep my right leg from shaking in traffic and he was right.

Cons

as with any transportation company communication is the key and this company does lack this.

Advice to Management

keep doing what your doing, and keep trying to improve.

"Driver"

Current Employee - OTR Team Driver in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - OTR Team Driver in Irving, TX

I have been working at National Carriers (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been driving for 11 yrs and 3 with National Carriers. This company has been great to myself and husband, we are a team. We get the miles, our dm is awesome, all the staff in the office treat us like family, we are not just an a $$ in a seat. They care about us. When I had family issues with my son they've gotten us home, appointments no problem to get us to them. I've worked for those big companies u can keep them. I'll be with Nci for as long as I can drive. Pay is great, benifits are good. Never have they not paid me!!!! We the elite company

Cons

I don't have any gripes people, drivers staff great

Advice to Management

Thanku for treating us with great respect and like part of this family

"Great company"

Current Employee - OTR DRIVER and TRAINER in Mountain Home, AR
    Current Employee - OTR DRIVER and TRAINER in Mountain Home, AR

I have been working at National Carriers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They really care about you and treat you like family. They take excellent care of their trucks. Work hard and get good miles.

Cons

You have to work hard to get the good miles. The don't have showers or laundry facilities at the yards.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Put laundry and showers in Irving yard for drivers to use while getting their MP or 30 day