National CineMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Andrew J. England

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Get an annual movie pass (if you are a full-time employee by October), which is pretty nice" (in 21 reviews)

• "Plus the free movie pass doesn't hurt" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Poor attitudes of middle and upper management can bring morale down" (in 7 reviews)

• "Very silo'd work environment and management" (in 4 reviews)

"Great media company doing really cool things."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership has worked diligently in the past couple of years to align business operations and personnel with cultural values. Because of this, there is a great group of people to call colleagues in all departments and several of the corporate offices (Denver, Chicago, NYC) have each moved to awesome new buildings.

The company has been transitioning from a legacy media offering to a fully integrated offering since the appointment of a new CEO. Because of this, there seems to be ample opportunities for reinventing a personal career path, and leadership has been open to overlook some experience requirements for internal candidates that have created a strong personal brand and work with a solutions oriented approach.

Couple this with great perks (movie passes, charity 1/2 days, paid time off) and you've got a company that is doing really cool things, in a really fun space.

Cons

The transition to a fully integrated media company has led to some difficult decisions recently including staff re-alignment and budgetary shifts. In some cases, this has made it difficult to navigate and embrace the change and has left some colleagues frustrated with the new direction of the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to cascade to middle level managers both the "why" and the scope of upper levels of decisions that directly impact front line staff. It has led to frustration and uncertainty in the past when a manager will provide an organizational update and not be able to provide answers past, "This is all I know right now."

2. "Sales/ Marketing intern"

I have been working at National CineMedia part-time

Pros

Great people, great company, learn a lot, everyone wants you to get involved and learn something from them, super friendly and open to teaching you about the industry

Cons

Have a more set plan for interns

Advice to Management

No advice than improve internship

"Perfect Time to Be Here"

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I come from a consulting background so I have a unique perspective having seen the inside of many organizations. NCM has a strong Culture, engaged leaders, committed employees, collaboration, integrity, creativity, in a great industry, and open and relaxed office environment. It's such a good company to be a part of especially during these exciting times in the media and marketing spaces.

Cons

There is a lot of change going on. An employee can either view those changes as opportunities or threats.

"Animator"

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time

Pros

Busy, always something new to do.

Cons

Management is cold and uncaring. Higher ups have no issue taking credit for work they did not do, they have no issue asking you to do things they personally would not do or cannot do.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the narcist and put an end to power-play and daily mind games.

"Huge mistake"

Former Employee - Account Director in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Account Director in Charlotte, NC

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free movie tickets and work from home.

Cons

Job salaries during interview is a lie. You will NOT make $120K first year and 240K second year. You will be lucky if you make $45K. I wrote 135% of objective and I made $35K. You will fall behind on all of your bills. Favoritism is shown by upper management to give senior reps who have trouble selling more theaters, state government territory and more opportunities so they stay afloat. Cinema advertising is dying with negative growth year over year (Look it up). Old data is used for collateral on the audience and studies with movie theater advertising that you will have to show to prospects. If you read this review I was here for 1 year and 7 Account Directors quit out of 20. Don't walk RUN!

Advice to Management

Have a procedure and process in place so that each rep will have the same amount of theaters and live within that area. Management should not be allow to give a favorite rep 24 theaters while others only have 7 or 8 theaters. Change the pay structure so people can actually make a living. Adjust national accounts and trailer lengths before the movie so local business get a benefit with advertising.

"Employee"

Former Employee - Student Employee
    Former Employee - Student Employee

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative work space. They hire really good people. They communicate extremely well to their employees. They go out of their way to care for employees.

Cons

They changed their leadership model and it is more political and stressed. They shifted away from the family culture to a traditional corporate model.

Advice to Management

Go back to the culture that encouraged people to love their work and their company.

"Gloomy days"

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time

Pros

Benefits are good - health, dental, vision, 401K, movie pass. Caring and supportive peers.

Cons

Insincere management who play favorites. Published values and culture promote open communication but isn't practiced. Silos. Growth strategies are second rate.

Advice to Management

The drastic management and direction changes you've made over the last few years have set the company back and not forward. You may have cut expenses but you have also removed the passion behind what made the company successful.

National CineMedia Response

May 23, 2018 – SVP - HR

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We’re happy to hear that you’ve had a positive experience with our benefits, enjoyed the movie pass, and seem to have built strong relationships... More

"Used to be a great place to work before they tried to buy their competitor."

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Account Manager

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you love the movies you'll love the perks.

Cons

Very low base pay, commissions kept being cut.

Advice to Management

Pay your sales team a better base salary.

National CineMedia Response

Apr 19, 2018 – Vice President - People & Organization

We appreciate your feedback. With regard to our local sales force compensation, those roles are largely commission-based (and we make sure to make that clear during our interview process, as we know... More

9. "Sales Coordinator"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National CineMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership. Experience working with big brands. Great experience for someone going into sales.

Cons

Not a great place for growth if you are entry level.

"Great company"

I worked at National CineMedia full-time

Pros

This is a great company which works hard to keep a culture of inclusion and offer opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The company is working to adapt to the changing habits of the movie goer.

Advice to Management

Be open.