National CineMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2019

2.7
National CineMedia CEO Tom Lesinski
Tom Lesinski
Pros
  • "Plus the free movie pass doesn't hurt(in 26 reviews)

• "free movie passes if you are employed at the beginning of the year(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "below standard salaries and top heavy management(in 7 reviews)

• "Upper management likes to point the finger and lower level employees to cover their own lack of effort(in 7 reviews)

"Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Sales and Marketing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at National CineMedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

I absolutely loved working for this company! From getting pumped about new movie releases, to meeting up with top clients in the industry. As a sales coordinator I got a ton of exposure and opportunity to network. I also gained a lot of valuable experience from getting my hands on multiple different projects. Everyone I worked with was AMAZING! It’s definitely like a second family.

Cons

I don't have any negatives to share :)

National CineMedia2019-08-02

"Account director"

I worked at National CineMedia

Pros

It used to be a great company. Free movie pass is nice.

Cons

Very low base salary and management restructured so that reps could only call on small, local businesses. There is no integrity anymore and the sales pitch is that 72% of people are in their seats for the local ads. This stat hasn’t been updated in years and now the majority of theaters are all reserved. It’s tough to take money from business people who trust you to help grow their business and then their ads run... in an empty theater. Super high client churn and little money to be made.

National CineMedia2019-11-11

"The worst company ever"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

None, unless you consider being bullied and placed in a toxic work environment a pro.

Cons

Horrible management, toxic work environment, useless time of "managers" and a waste of company money. VP's think they are being helpful by constantly badgering you when you are doing your job, but they are constantly bullying you. Managers are like puppy dogs who just follow along to try and be friends with the VP's, they are overpaid and under performing. The product is awful as well.

Advice to Management

You should go back in time when NCM really was a great company with great leadership. Now it is a sinking ship. We are all just waiting for the other shoe to fall off.

National CineMedia2019-11-13

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I worked at National CineMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bagels. Coffee. Some people are really nice

Cons

Underpaid and ZERO room for growth. Some salaries are literally un-liveable. Managers could care less about your well being as long as you just do what you're told - even the most bizarre of requests. Company used to be a whole lot better but every day I am here I feel less and less cared for. I've never stepped into this office and felt appreciated....not once. We also need to hire more people and create more... positions instead of combining positions and not compensating the people for doing so. If you're high up, you can basically do whatever you want.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees before it's too late and they quit.

National CineMedia2019-11-06

"Used to be Great Business!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time

Pros

Friendly, caring employees! Everyone helpful. Customers enjoy being part of the Movies!

Cons

If you do not have any big agencies, you will not have enough Sales to get paid or stay employed. Local customer's ads run far too early for most of audience to see.

National CineMedia2019-09-19

"turn over"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Centennial, CO

I worked at National CineMedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people, bagels, free parking

Cons

top heavy management, promoted without experience as manager

Advice to Management

train your managers

National CineMedia2019-08-15

"Local Sales"

Former Employee - Local Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at National CineMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home Movie pass

Cons

Low pay and very high pressure

Advice to Management

Recent management changes are awful. Not the company it used to be. Very high pressure and extremely low salary.

National CineMedia2019-07-27

"Great people; Enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone says that the people where they work are great; but I've never worked anywhere where the employees are as great to work with. It feels like a real family here and that's worth a lot. I have always felt valued as an employee.

Cons

Leadership has been a bit unstable in recent years with 2 CEO exits....that can feel unsettling. Sometimes it is difficult to see the clear link between strategy that is shared with all employees and the day-to-day decisions made by leadership. It's a mid-size company with limited upward mobility available.

Advice to Management

Get clear on who NCM is trying to be and communicate it as openly as possible. Try to clarify how day-to-day decisions link to the strategy.

National CineMedia2019-07-18

"Evolving company with growth potential and fantastic people, plus fun perks!"

Current Employee - Operations in Centennial, CO

I have been working at National CineMedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Hands down, this is the best group of people I have ever worked with (and I have seen the inside of several companies)! People are very friendly, helpful and down to earth - it's a super casual atmosphere. I've made some genuine friendships here. While there's been a lot of change and growing pains over the past few years, I have come out stronger having learned more through the various opportunities I've had.... Through the change, I have been challenged and enhanced my skills and experience, and as I reflect back on the past few years, I am proud of the growth and development I've gained. As with any company, there are challenges (no place is perfect), but it has been my great co-workers who have kept me here through it all. I have been provided opportunities to really own my job, learn new things and make some positive contributions to the company. The atmosphere/attitude here is pretty supportive and most people genuinely care about their coworkers and want them to succeed. It's definitely not a "cut throat, back-stabbing" kind of culture like a lot of other places I’ve worked. The company sponsors various fun employee events and activities each year, such as: annual summer outing (held at Breckenridge Brewery last year- super fun!), employee holiday party (nice evening event), kid's holiday party (including free holiday movie, Santa, balloon artists, breakfast), themed happy hours (they provide free snacks, beer/wine), mini celebration events (execs serve ice cream), employee contests, etc. They really show that they care about their employees through these events. They don’t have to do anything at all (a lot of companies don’t), so I appreciate that NCM has dedicated time, money and resources to sponsor these events. Brand new renovated corporate office with beautiful, open views of the Rockies and it's located in a nice part of town in Greenwood Village near Fiddler's Green amphitheater. Plus, they periodically offer up free premium tickets to the summer concerts which is a super nice perk! We also have other cool perks like free annual movie passes for every employee, charity half day off 1x/month, free bagel/donuts every Friday, wellness incentive on benefits + HSA match, 4 weeks paid parental leave (a nice benefit I have used), and you can wear jeans every day if you want. Onsite café on 1st floor of building if you need lunch in a pinch, plus there are tons of good places to eat nearby, and it's not terribly far from Park Meadows mall or other shopping areas if you need to run errands at lunch/after work. For the most part (depends on the department/supervisor), they offer flexible scheduling and some opportunity to work from home which is a HUGE plus. Would love to seem them allow more telecommuting because it’s a win-win for everyone. They do expect you to put in your time and produce results, no doubt, but it's nice that they don't have the typical corporate mentality of having to be at your desk from 8-5 M-F. I love the flexibility! Regarding a previous post on this site about HR asking for positive reviews, that particular review was definitely taken out of context and very much misrepresented (typical for someone who just wants to stew in their negativity). I actually appreciate that our awesome HR department cares enough about the company to try to help make it better for ALL of us. They are the absolute BEST HR people I have ever encountered and they genuinely care and want to do right by the employees. They are very open and approachable, and I know that I can go to them for anything and they will help. The poster of that earlier review seems to have a very bitter attitude, and that doesn't jive well with the positive NCM culture.

Cons

Unfortunately, pay isn't the best compared to a lot of companies and that's been a problem for quite some time. It's definitely more of a challenge with the increasing cost of living in Colorado, but hopefully the company will address it soon so we don't keep losing good teammates to other companies who actually are paying competitively. We've had a lot of turnover because of people leaving for better pay... elsewhere. The company is very cost-conscious so it is a constant challenge - NCM runs very lean in a lot of respects. It's nice that they offer an annual bonus like a lot of companies, but it unfortunately doesn't make-up for the low base pay. They seem to focus pay mostly on the execs and sales people which is unfortunately mis-guided. While you may not necessarily get competitive pay, you do get great co-workers so you have to decide what's important to you. Decent benefits that are on par with most company offerings in terms of monthly cost, although the high-deductible plan is expensive if you actually have to use your benefits (because you have to pay out of pocket to meet a very high deductible). They do provide a minimal contribution to your HSA account which helps offset the costs to a limited extent. Company match on the 401k isn't great (it's only 2.4%) - definitely not competitive with most companies. PTO is on the minimal side – it’s decent, but not super generous. A couple of the execs seem very solid, but the majority seem checked out and aren’t doing much to move the organization forward, especially in the absence of a CEO for the past several months. The “open-door” policy needs to be better cultivated – most of them seem like nice people, but don’t actively engage with employees to learn and truly understand what it’s really like as a “regular” employee. There's a lot of change and sometimes it feels very chaotic which can put a lot of stress on the people who have to deal with it. There's uncertainty with some major changes currently underway and there have been several "reorganizations" in the past couple years where people have been laid off and that's not been good for morale. If you don't like change then this place can be very taxing and stressful, but if you see the change as an opportunity then I suppose it's what you make of it. The "open concept" environment is nice for collaboration and communication, but it has its downside if you're not one who likes a lot of interruptions and distractions that can hamper productivity. It's definitely a "pro and con", but most people have adjusted to it for the most part. Just something to keep in mind because the vast majority of people sit at open workstations so this isn't a place where you will necessarily get an office unless you're in a certain level position.

Advice to Management

Please please please look at your pay practices and let's get competitive with our salaries across the board. We are losing good people simply because we aren't paying enough in certain areas. Pay needs to be consistent and equitable across the board - there are a lot of inconsistencies which presents a whole host of issues. Enhance your 401k match and benefits offerings and reexamine your PTO package (it’s not... competitive despite what was presented). The executive leadership team also needs to engage and work towards moving the company forward instead of sitting and waiting for it to happen (even while waiting on a CEO). Ongoing, regular transparent communication needs to be a top priority, and employees shouldn’t feel that they can’t ask questions at all-hands meetings without them being dismissed or mocked.

National CineMedia2019-07-11

"Do Not Work Here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at National CineMedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no pros at NCM worth mentioning that could possibly negate the cons

Cons

This company is a sinking ship. It does not care about its people. The pay is abysmal and not competitive. Pay has been an issue at NCM for quite some time, however, nothing is done about it. When the action was set into motion to correct pay, it did not ultimately come to fruition. The CEO scrapped the motion. And thus died the compensation reviews for everyone. Retention in some larger departments is a huge... problem. This issue is swept under the rug when brought up by averaging retention rates for the entire company. The interim CEO was dismissive in regards to the veritable flood of people leaving for fair pay. Employees receive a yearly bonus that is not based upon performance. Indeed, you are highly unlikely to ever see a pay increase of any kind that’s based upon your work. I can think of maybe two small departments that offer the opportunity of a yearly salary increase, the rest do not. The bonus is based upon the company’s performance, and you won’t receive a full bonus no matter how well the company is doing regardless. Regardless of how the company performs, however, the CEO seems to continue to net near 6 million a year in pay. There is zero room for growth. None. You will grind yourself to the bone, going above and beyond, and get nowhere. Your efforts are better spent at a company that will appreciate your hard work. NCM, in my opinion, demands devotion and loyalty but gives absolutely zero in return to its employees. Constant instability is sold as “opportunity.” What “opportunity” is there for people who are afraid their department will be the next to be restructured and disappear overnight despite the company doing better than it was the year prior? I’ve never seen layoffs as this company has had over the past few years. A group of coworkers is there in the morning only to be swept away quickly by HR before 10:00 am. In my time at NCM, I was honored to work with some of the most fantastic and talented people I have ever come across. For the most part, they have left the company and contribute their multitude of talents at better organizations. I do not recommend NCM. They do not care about their people, only their bottom line, and not shockingly that attitude has resulted in a cultureless husk of an entity. I truly once adored this company and it’s heartbreaking to see what it’s become. I hope this new CEO is better but my hopes are not high.

Advice to Management

Without your employees, there would be no NCM. Appreciate them and their hard work. Pay a competitive wage and focus on retention.

National CineMedia2019-08-11