National City Reviews | Glassdoor

Peter E. Raskind

1. "IT Intern"

Former Intern - IT Intern in Strongsville, OH
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Strongsville, OH

I worked at National City as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great internship program with great pay for the summer. Organized team building and educational activities for the interns. Great real world experience, and great people! Strongsville, Ohio location.

Cons

Interns are not automatically considered for the Associates Program, but instead must also go through the intense panel interviewing.

Advice to Management

The FISH philosophy within the Strongsville building was a great way to promote a positive and encouraging culture.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at National City full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People and good work life balance

Cons

Reorganization centralized many jobs to Pittsburgh

3. "NCC was the best job ever. To bad PNC brought us"

Former Employee - Direct Banking Sales Representative in Franklin, PA
    Former Employee - Direct Banking Sales Representative in Franklin, PA

Pros

The sales bonus was great. I made 3-5 k a month in bonus alone. Great group of sales people to work with .

Cons

PNC took over and destoryed the department I worked in now we a no more then customer service reps. Everyone is leaving either and I hope to leave soon too

Advice to Management

why did we have to sale to pnc?

5. "The best ever."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Great people, great clothes, great appreciation for nature (i.e. gerbils). Couldn't have had a better experience in my life.

Cons

Had a pretty putrid smell whenever you entered the building, they should really get a competent janitor, or spray the building periodically with febreeze.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you're doing. Keep on keeping on. Get her done. Give 110% you're doing great, I like the hustle.

6. "fine"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

collegial atmosphere where people would mentor you and be involved in your professional development. good work hours and benefits package

Cons

the location in the midwest is not that appealing except for people from the area. other than that, the place is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

do more 360 degree peer reviews which will help management understand some of the ways they can improve the company

7. "Excellent Place to Work"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Canton, MI
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Canton, MI

Pros

opportunities for advancement, training, time off and paid holidays. hours are excellent and work/life balance is stronly encouraged.

Cons

dealing with customers regarding things beyond your control (policies & procedures)

Advice to Management

keep up the great work! This is a great place to work.

8. "NCC stock on its way up!"

Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Financial Consultant in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

It seems that all of the senior management has been with the company 30+ years. It is rare to see a company with such a long standing group that really knows how to treat people. The company rally's are not like any I've ever attended. There is really a lot of hard work and going the extra mile when putting together a business seminar.

Cons

The stock is low right now and the 401(k) plan automatically matches with company stock. It is easy to shift the money into a safer investment, however, not many of the employees do. So a big hit to the stock really has personal feeling throughout the bank.

Advice to Management

Keep National City its own bank. Don't sell it even if a good bidder comes along. The culture here is just right.

9. "I am proud and happy to be working for National City."

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Cleveland, OH

Pros

National City provides great opportunity for career and compenstion improvement. Employees are treated with respect and given the opportunity to give feedback on relevent topics. There is genuine interest shown in our personal and professional pursuits. The compensation, insurance, retirement, and medical benefits are generous. Paid time off is also generous and is supportive of a healthy work/life balance. Management is approachable and open to concerns. Our brand promise is to do what is right for our customers. Although we have sales goals and receive incentive compensation for meeting them we are never encouraged to set up a product or service that is not in the best interest of the customer.

Cons

The Human Resource department is often not helpful in dealing with employee issues due to inconsistency in responses. The recruiting department also has a tendency to seem misdirected for the branches.

Advice to Management

In spite of current market conditions and their effect on NCB in particular Senior Management has been supportive both personally and professionally by educating the employees on the status of our stability and has given us the knowledge and tools to respond to our customers concerns. I would like Senior Management to know how grateful I am for their support.

10. "National City - great benefits - upper management has the advantage"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dayton, OH

Pros

They have great benefits package - even if you are a part time employee, you are eligible for their 401(k) plan and health benefits. Fairest I have seen for part time employment. I work with great people; upper management is also friendly and supportive. They are involved with their local communities.

Cons

Room for advancement at entry level is fair to poor. There are few positions that migrate upward if you are not a college graduate. If you are a college graduate, why would you want the low pay of the entry level position? Compensation for employees at the "CSR" level is fair/poor and sales quotas for these positions are ridiculous - management staff are highly compensated for the sales of their staff, but the staff receive decreasing compensation for sales quotas that are increasing.

Advice to Management

Think about what you are saying to your employees. Higher sales, lower compensation? Your quotas in Districts make it impossible for those who are doing a good job to win your sales contests. Also, "prizes" for making sales quotas are insulting - highlighter sets? Really? Winter scarves?

11. "If you are looking for a job that cares about their employees and their future, National City is it!"

Former Employee - Branch Customer Service Representative in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Branch Customer Service Representative in Fairfield, OH

Pros

National City is a great place to work because they truly care about their workers. There is constant training and room for advancement. There are constant bonuses for just doing your job well! They make sure to give recognition to all hard workers and they treat everyone equally. Not only is it a wonderful place to start the beginning of a great career, but it's also a great part time job for college students. They work with your schedule and really help you understand and appreciate the world of banking.

Cons

Working with people and their money can be difficult sometimes. If you work at a branch with National City you are constantly dealing with angry customers who blame "you" for everything. It takes some time to get used to and learn how to deal with these particular people. However, any customer service job comes with these kind of issues...it's just a little bit more extreme in the banking business. Just don't take it personal and be patient. Eventually it becomes natural and just like any other job.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that they give more credit to the branch side of National City. I often heard many comments about how the branches were looked down at, as if we did not know our jobs well and did not perform them right. Though there probably are a few branches where that fact is true, I actually worked at a very hard working and motivated branch. We were constantly setting goals and working daily on ways to improve our service and sales. I just sometimes felt that we were looked down at because we were the "lower end of the totem pole". I believe this loses National City a lot of potential leaders who will make their business even better.