National Counseling Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 78 reviews

3.4
Francis A. Viera Jr.
Cons
  1. "CR2 is a work in progress...for the better"

Current Employee - Counselor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management that listens, cares, and strives to nurture and develop clinicians. This job is a lifestyle. Long hours, long days. One's days can be emotionally exhausting. Without good/solid personal and professional boundaries, the job will chew you up and spit you out.

Cons

The company doesn't like to "fire" anyone and therefore employs people who don't give darn about the job, their colleagues, and the children and families they serve. The job expects a certain level of mastery before one begins. Just because you have a masters degree, it doesn't mean you are qualified. If you can write clearly and concisely, one will do fine; but don't be disheartened to learn that you may have peers...

Advice to Management

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!

National Counseling Group2019-02-25
  2. "Competent and caring local management teams."

Current Employee - TDT Counselor in Martinsville, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Supportive and accessible local management teams Excellent schedule which follows academic calendars

Cons

Inequitable compensation based on frequently changing corporate pay structures

National Counseling Group2019-04-04
  3. "Counselor"

Current Employee - Counselor in Manassas, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group for more than a year

Pros

Supportive coworkers and supervisor and decent training

Cons

Hourly pay is poor and they don't reimburse for supplies or mileage.

Advice to Management

Please realize that workers are using their own cars, putting mileage on their car that leads to wear and tear. Workers like myself also buy supplies to ensure quality of care. Pay should reflect this hard work.

National Counseling Group2019-03-28
  4. "NCG is Awesome CR2 is Horrible"

Current Employee - Cr2 in Manassas, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have the opportunity to work with various families and help them when their children are in crisis. We get to work in 3-4 counties so we are networking, meeting other professionals and learning about the programs available to help the children in the community.

Cons

Our Management is abusive, petty and very unprofessional. Management talks about other staff including other departments withing NCG, encourages division by granting favors to those who she prefers such as "prime hours, additional training and opportunities to make additional money causing more division in the team. Workers are expected to break the law by driving and texting and answering calls (crisis calls) while in...

Advice to Management

Someone who actually cares about the reputation of the CR2 program needs to come and hold immediate, personal interviews with each team member ASAP.

National Counseling Group2019-02-20
  5. "NCG"

Current Employee - Community Based Counselor

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Learn a lot with this position and company Great workers

Cons

Management Lack of Communication within the company Lack of professional development

National Counseling Group2019-01-22

"No full time for Community Counselors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

hourly salary is $20

Cons

They do no have enough clients to pay and fulfill a full-time position as a CC.Do not take a full time job here.

Advice to Management

Do not hire full time C.C's if you cannot give hours, Train people on ethics, boundaries ,client relation in PERSON ,(not only on a computer ) BEFORE you send them out.Up- grade your supervision and supervisors.

National Counseling Group2018-12-30
  7. "Great position, great team, great leadership"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supervisors were communicative, supportive, knowledgeable, and encouraging. School based positions have great hours and great flexibility. Working within a school gives you exposure to a lot of different information and a lot of great people.

Cons

The pay for the position I was in could’ve been better. You just reminded yourself of the other benefits to ignore the pay.

Advice to Management

A pay raise would be great!

National Counseling Group2018-11-14
  8. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Experience with diverse clinical diagnoses

Cons

Leadership Pay Lack of professionalism Expensive benefits Supervision

Advice to Management

Focus on client care not the bottom line. Turnover is a result of more than just difficult work. Pay attention.

National Counseling Group2018-11-29
  9. "Good supports, compensations and benefits are ehhh"

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Great supporting system. My supervisor was very supportive. Not very physically or emotionally demanding work.

Cons

They could improve on pay and benefits-I pay over $400 per month just on health insurance

National Counseling Group2018-10-17
  10. "Clinical Supervisor; Promoted from Community Based Counselor"

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I was at NCG, I gained a lot of invaluable clinical and management experience. You learn A LOT and receive an amazing amount of hands on experience. I started as an in-home counselor fresh out of my Masters program and immediately learned that I need to throw the text book out the window. You learn to think on your feet and really connect with and empathize with your families.

Cons

The work life balance is almost nonexistent. As a supervisor, I easily worked 60 hour weeks, with fielding phone calls from staff starting at 7 am and ending at 10 pm. If there's a crisis that requires a Serious Incident Report, plan on working all night to ensure it's in the system within 24 hours. Plus, NCG has become way more "corporate" over the years. I hated when they got rid of the office coordinators and...

Advice to Management

Don't underestimate work/life balance. I told my staff all the time to take time off when they needed it and to utilize the EAP to help them through their personal issues. Burnout is very high in this field. Counselors need our support as managers.

National Counseling Group2018-09-20