National Counseling Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Francis A. Viera Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • LPC supervision available, flexible schedule, very rewarding work, training and support available (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good benefits, great management, awesome coworkers, family atmosphere and fun (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Can easily get burnt out of dont keep work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• The pay is relatively low compared to other mental health companies (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Company so far!!"

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Excellent benefits, friendly staff, focused on the health of workers, great communication, useful trainings, opportunities to grow, diverse client population (awesome if you are still trying to figure out what population you prefer to work with!), low required hours but ability to take on extra hours as wanted

Cons

scheduling directly with clients so they can be unpredictable and ask for inconvenient times to meet

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on! It's only been a few weeks but it's been great! I love the atmosphere and attitude. I've felt welcomed!

2. "Encouraging, supportive work environment"

Current Employee - Community Based Counselor in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Community Based Counselor in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supervisors and colleagues are supportive, caring and encouraging. The agency provides an atmosphere that encourages both professional and personal growth. There is a high level of integrity and a genuine focus on providing quality care to clients. Effort is rewarded not only monetarily but also through expressions of appreciation and recognition.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, offering support and encouragement while challenging staff to continue to grow both personally and professionally.

3. "Call the better Business People"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Not one thing these guys suck

Cons

Incompetent, dishonest, and mean
    Worst Group of People I have ever worked with and I have 30 years of experience. They are dishonest, arrogant, incompetent. I would not let these people watch my dog for the afternoon. Stay far aw

Advice to Management

Wake up...do exit interviews..you have no idea what is going on or maybe you do. Worst place I have ever seen and clients agree.

4. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Committed to employees
    - Dedicated to serving clients
    - Provides excellent customer service
    - Promotes from within
    - Provides supportive supervision
    - Fosters professional development
    - Friendly co-workers
    - Growing organization
    - Ethical

Cons

For some, the hours in which services are provided can be challenging - afternoons, evenings, and weekends. Others appreciate that schedule flexibility. Some also find frequent driving to be challenging, but others enjoy that time "outdoors" and the break it provides between seeing clients.

5. "Community Based Counselor"

Pros

Great teamwork and supervision.

Cons

You have to be great at time management or you will be working crazy hours.

"You will learn a lot"

Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Charlottesville, VA
    Current Employee - Clinical Supervisor in Charlottesville, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot about home and community based counseling as a Community Based Counselor. I practiced and honed and refined the skills I learned in school and applied them to real life situations. The best thing I learned is that, oftentimes, what you learn in school does not apply AT ALL to the real world. You may go to a session at a client's home and have a plan of what to work with him/her on, and need to change it up completely upon arrival because of a crisis they're experiencing.
    I was then promoted to Clinical Supervisor (they promote from within a lot) and learned a lot about being a leader. It's a tough job, but it is so fulfilling at the end of each day to know I made a difference.

Cons

Very stressful at times; expensive health care plan

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing

7. "Don't do it"

Former Employee - Community Based Counselor
    Former Employee - Community Based Counselor

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck (not necessarily consistent), but a paycheck none the less.

You aren't unemployed. (Yay! Sarcasam)

You can make your own schedule. (A blessing and a curse)

The day you leave.

Cons

NO paid holidays.

You basically become an Uber driver with NO gas stipend. NO consistency in your schedule (clients will cancel all the time and you will take the loss..ie: less money for you or get ready to have to change your schedule around to accommodate despite your plans).

Get ready for no suport from your supervisors. They actually subtly blame you for the client cancellations. And they stay wanting you to transport clients in YOUR car but the moment you have an accident with a client God forbid, you are on your own! NCG will NOT have your back at all!

That dumb groupchat. Just mute it!! They WORRY you on that thing nonstop and half the time it doesn't pertain to you.

Stupid team meetings/group supervisions. Complete waste of time. Most stuff in team could be sent in an email and supervision is basically repeating yourself over and over. Not much changes.

Get ready to become a people pleaser. The clients (most) can't stand not getting their way which results in a call to the office.

Corporate STAY changing something (usually this benefits them, not you. Ex: no more paid holidays, no gas stipend anymore..instead a measly $7.25 for indirect hours, life insurance, the list is endless)

The job expectations don't match the pay!

They have favorites. Burnout is HIGH! They hire people like every other week.

Advice to Management

Stop becoming brainwashed and brand new cause you got a new title. Stop acting like you forgot what community based counselors go thru. Worker's should have just as many rights as the clients. Stop lying to people saying they salaried when that is far from the truth. What you should do is actually make people salaried so they don't have to stress themselves out trying to chase a dollar/client. If you don't want to pay people what they are worth, then I suggest you decrease the job expectations/duties. You want someone available 24/7 but can't even pay $20 an hr?! Lol get out of here.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Corporate Office in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office in Richmond, VA

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

ncgCARE truly cares about it's employees. It's a very busy job but rewarding too. The supervisory team is wonderful and I always feel appreciated.

Cons

There is always lots to do, but that's not really a bad thing. Very rewarding position working with a great team.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and thank you for caring for your employees.

"Vice President"

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family Atmosphere, Competitive pay, Room for upward growth

Cons

No cons at this time.

"it ok"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

great staff, some of the clients

Cons

pay and incentives; leadership, travel