National Counseling Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Francis A. Viera Jr.

"Worst place I have ever worked - should have known better"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can talk a great game. Pay very well. Some of the staff are really great people who care about the services they provide.

Cons

Dishonest company with a lack of ethics. Don't listen to their staff and really don't care about them. Want everyone to follow the "NCG Way" - and if you question anything you are a problem. Management is cliquish, lie and manipulate and gossip about each other and everyone else. Controlling and manipulative and just plain horrible to work with. Have heard for years that they are unethical and slimy - witnessed it firsthand during my brief time with them. This is an agency that's all about the dollar.

Advice to Management

Already tried.

"Subpar Company Not for Long Term Career Aspirations"

Former Employee - Former Community Base Counselor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Former Community Base Counselor in Washington, DC

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

got paid for training
    flexible hours

Cons

overworked
    underpaid
    not able to meet hours that were considered billable (meaning all the unnecessary office meetings did not count towards salary)
    unrealistic timelines for work
    management doesn't communicate effectively
    no personal life
    huge turnover rate due to people quitting due to poor work environment and management skills
    company wants you to drive beyond reasonable mileages to meet clients
    went to training but did not receive adequate training to be prepared for job causing even additional non billable time to do the job

Advice to Management

I suggest management attend further training to include enhancing their skill set in company morale, ethics and communication. It is unfortunate that a good cause is hindered due to poor management.

"The Peter Principle in action"

Former Employee - Former IIH Counselor in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Former IIH Counselor in Manassas, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing to report about this company

Cons

Self-centered supervisors, oppressive workload, and dismal outcomes

Advice to Management

Advice to Potential Employees: Believe all the negative reviews on this thread. I know from experience that every complaint here is valid, especially with regard to management, which is an absolute disgrace. I have just left the Manassas office due to an extremely cliquish, callous, and arrogant management team that—despite all the rhetoric—holds itself high above the counselors, transparently favors and rewards the token toadies, and calculatingly circumvents any questions about irrational decisions and inefficient practices. Any favorable reviews on this thread are completely laughable and patently false. Notice that the majority of them are written by presently employed counselors and supervisors who are either using this venue to kiss up or to desperately salvage the company’s reputation. As for effectiveness of its programs, NCG is embarrassingly unsuccessful in helping clients, largely because of incompetent and uncaring leadership that places far more value on policy and profit than on client care. Each client is seen as nothing more than a revenue stream, and whether treatment objectives are met or not is of no significance to management, as rehabilitation is not the goal. NCG has ridiculously overstretched itself and is clearly more focused on expanding in size and embellishing its image than providing quality services. I caution anyone who wants to work here that you will be just another overburdened and underappreciated cog in an abysmally broken machine.

5. "Beware of the "Bait and Switch""

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

You will have the freedom to make your own schedule. The work with children and families is rewarding.

Cons

Frequent client cancellations will impact your paycheck. Poor supervision. Their only concern to getting money from Medicaid and not true client care. They make promises at the interview that they will not make good on. There are frequent changes in compensation. The pay is pretty low for the level of education held by most staff.

Advice to Management

Please provide training to your supervisors on interpersonal skills, leadership, and cultural competence. Additionally, find ways to design a compensation package that encourages employees to stay for a long time.

National Counseling Group Response

Jan 31, 2017 – VP of HR

Thank you very much for the blunt review. Even hard criticism helps us to improve. Our Mission, “To Improve Lives” is at the core of all we do and although our work is at times difficult, as you ... More

6. "Not the best"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Making your own schedule. (Then clients change it)

Cons

Pay (new pay scale saves them money), they always take the clients side, they want you to run your car down to the ground for $7.25 an hr, clients cancel all the time (no money for you), HIGH burnouts (they hire people like every week), very cliqueish

7. "Meh....."

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

good starting place for employment in the field

Cons

not alot of opportunities for advancement, some people are caty

"Alright"

Former Employee - Case Manager/Foster Parent Coordinator in Roanoke, VA
    Former Employee - Case Manager/Foster Parent Coordinator in Roanoke, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed some aspects of the job, including the co-workers and working with the kids. It's rewarding when the kids start doing well and thank their workers. The pay was also pretty well for any type of social work job.

Cons

Working the on-call schedule is never fun, and there's no compensation for working it, only comp time. I thought some of the decision making wasn't the greatest, mainly on an ethics standpoint ie taking kids to fill homes.

Advice to Management

Don't just place kids to place them.

"Therapeutic Day Treatment Counselor at NCG in Newport News, VA. No longer a position at this location of NCG."

Pros

Working with at risk children in the Public School System and consistent supervision. The company was willing to listen to feedback from employees and try to accommodate.

Cons

NCG did not have best practices in TDT and other TDT Counselors constantly complained about the company and the work. The company lost their contract with the school system and told current employees one month before the school year ended. Lack of job security and investment in employees career growth. For profit agency- lacked some ethical clarity.

Advice to Management

To gain better knowledge of best practices in children and adolescent behavioral therapy and improve training for Counselors and Supervisors.

"Community Based Counselor II"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Results of the company (aka, contact with the community, school, other resources)

Cons

Everything else. I was lied to during the duration of my employment, being told a lot in orientation that never came to pass. I was asked to help build the office, but once TDT took off, Community Based Counselors were left behind because it wasn't nearly as profitable to the company, putting my job at risk. Once I found that out, I started looking elsewhere... sadly, most companies are the same... trying to find a decent one out there.

Advice to Management

Honesty can get you far.

11. "Okay Company"

Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor
    Former Employee - Clinical Supervisor

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good; flexible schedule; easy advancement

Cons

inexperienced management; on-call 24/7; a lot of driving