National Counseling Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Francis A. Viera Jr.

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • LPC supervision available, flexible schedule, very rewarding work, training and support available (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, good benefits, great management, awesome coworkers, family atmosphere and fun (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Can easily get burnt out of dont keep work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Beware of personal life balance (in 2 reviews)

"Worst place I have ever worked - should have known better"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can talk a great game. Pay very well. Some of the staff are really great people who care about the services they provide.

Cons

Dishonest company with a lack of ethics. Don't listen to their staff and really don't care about them. Want everyone to follow the "NCG Way" - and if you question anything you are a problem. Management is cliquish, lie and manipulate and gossip about each other and everyone else. Controlling and manipulative and just plain horrible to work with. Have heard for years that they are unethical and slimy - witnessed it firsthand during my brief time with them. This is an agency that's all about the dollar.

Advice to Management

Already tried.

"Subpar Company Not for Long Term Career Aspirations"

Former Employee - Former Community Base Counselor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Former Community Base Counselor in Washington, DC

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

got paid for training
    flexible hours

Cons

overworked
    underpaid
    not able to meet hours that were considered billable (meaning all the unnecessary office meetings did not count towards salary)
    unrealistic timelines for work
    management doesn't communicate effectively
    no personal life
    huge turnover rate due to people quitting due to poor work environment and management skills
    company wants you to drive beyond reasonable mileages to meet clients
    went to training but did not receive adequate training to be prepared for job causing even additional non billable time to do the job

Advice to Management

I suggest management attend further training to include enhancing their skill set in company morale, ethics and communication. It is unfortunate that a good cause is hindered due to poor management.

"The Peter Principle in action"

Former Employee - Former IIH Counselor in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Former IIH Counselor in Manassas, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing to report about this company

Cons

Self-centered supervisors, oppressive workload, and dismal outcomes

Advice to Management

Advice to Potential Employees: Believe all the negative reviews on this thread. I know from experience that every complaint here is valid, especially with regard to management, which is an absolute disgrace. I have just left the Manassas office due to an extremely cliquish, callous, and arrogant management team that—despite all the rhetoric—holds itself high above the counselors, transparently favors and rewards the token toadies, and calculatingly circumvents any questions about irrational decisions and inefficient practices. Any favorable reviews on this thread are completely laughable and patently false. Notice that the majority of them are written by presently employed counselors and supervisors who are either using this venue to kiss up or to desperately salvage the company’s reputation. As for effectiveness of its programs, NCG is embarrassingly unsuccessful in helping clients, largely because of incompetent and uncaring leadership that places far more value on policy and profit than on client care. Each client is seen as nothing more than a revenue stream, and whether treatment objectives are met or not is of no significance to management, as rehabilitation is not the goal. NCG has ridiculously overstretched itself and is clearly more focused on expanding in size and embellishing its image than providing quality services. I caution anyone who wants to work here that you will be just another overburdened and underappreciated cog in an abysmally broken machine.

4. "Beware of the "Bait and Switch""

I have been working at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

You will have the freedom to make your own schedule. The work with children and families is rewarding.

Cons

Frequent client cancellations will impact your paycheck. Poor supervision. Their only concern to getting money from Medicaid and not true client care. They make promises at the interview that they will not make good on. There are frequent changes in compensation. The pay is pretty low for the level of education held by most staff.

Advice to Management

Please provide training to your supervisors on interpersonal skills, leadership, and cultural competence. Additionally, find ways to design a compensation package that encourages employees to stay for a long time.

Jan 31, 2017 – VP of HR

Thank you very much for the blunt review. Even hard criticism helps us to improve. Our Mission, “To Improve Lives” is at the core of all we do and although our work is at times difficult, as you... More

"Good Luck"

Former Employee - Community Based Counselor in Culpeper, VA
    Former Employee - Community Based Counselor in Culpeper, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great counselors, a lot of peer support, a job with a purpose

Cons

Poor leadership, poor use of power, false promises, inconsistency, a lot of travel, no job security.

Advice to Management

Listen to concerns, problem solve for the benefit of the counselor and client (not just revenue), and emphasize. Don't use power as leverage.

"You can do better"

Former Employee - Community Based Counselor in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Community Based Counselor in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ummmm........lots of training. If you can see your client, you will have a check

Cons

-lots of driving with a measly $7.25 an hr compensation (might as well apply for uber)
    -No financial security, check fluctuates depending upon if you see your client. Get you a job where your pay is dependent on YOU.
    -supervisors don't support you. All about the money and clients. Whatever the client says (mental health issues and all they believe it!)
    - after a while it gets old and you burn out. 10 hrs a week per client is obsessive.
    -NO paid holidays!!!! NONE!
    -They have favorites and very inconsistent
    -stressful....everyday it's always something

Advice to Management

Be consistent. Stop having favorites. Stop with the pointless paperwork like projected hrs and SIRs that you know nothing about cause you won't there. Actually TRY to make the job easier

7. "Don't do it"

Former Employee - Community Based Counselor
    Former Employee - Community Based Counselor

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck (not necessarily consistent), but a paycheck none the less.

You aren't unemployed. (Yay! Sarcasam)

You can make your own schedule. (A blessing and a curse)

The day you leave.

Cons

NO paid holidays.

You basically become an Uber driver with NO gas stipend. NO consistency in your schedule (clients will cancel all the time and you will take the loss..ie: less money for you or get ready to have to change your schedule around to accommodate despite your plans).

Get ready for no suport from your supervisors. They actually subtly blame you for the client cancellations. And they stay wanting you to transport clients in YOUR car but the moment you have an accident with a client God forbid, you are on your own! NCG will NOT have your back at all!

That dumb groupchat. Just mute it!! They WORRY you on that thing nonstop and half the time it doesn't pertain to you.

Stupid team meetings/group supervisions. Complete waste of time. Most stuff in team could be sent in an email and supervision is basically repeating yourself over and over. Not much changes.

Get ready to become a people pleaser. The clients (most) can't stand not getting their way which results in a call to the office.

Corporate STAY changing something (usually this benefits them, not you. Ex: no more paid holidays, no gas stipend anymore..instead a measly $7.25 for indirect hours, life insurance, the list is endless)

The job expectations don't match the pay!

They have favorites. Burnout is HIGH! They hire people like every other week.

Advice to Management

Stop becoming brainwashed and brand new cause you got a new title. Stop acting like you forgot what community based counselors go thru. Worker's should have just as many rights as the clients. Stop lying to people saying they salaried when that is far from the truth. What you should do is actually make people salaried so they don't have to stress themselves out trying to chase a dollar/client. If you don't want to pay people what they are worth, then I suggest you decrease the job expectations/duties. You want someone available 24/7 but can't even pay $20 an hr?! Lol get out of here.

8. "Call the better Business People"

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

Not one thing these guys suck

Cons

Incompetent, dishonest, and mean
    Worst Group of People I have ever worked with and I have 30 years of experience. They are dishonest, arrogant, incompetent. I would not let these people watch my dog for the afternoon. Stay far aw

Advice to Management

Wake up...do exit interviews..you have no idea what is going on or maybe you do. Worst place I have ever seen and clients agree.

Aug 28, 2017 – Sr. HR Business Partner

It is our standard practice to offer / invite team members to participate in an exit interview and we obviously missed an opportunity to resolve some outstanding issues. We would like to extend an... More

9. "Lots of promises"

Former Employee - Program Therapist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Program Therapist in Richmond, VA

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary higher then similar companies

Cons

Company has way of making you believe you have hit the jackpot as far as counseling positions go. You are treated to catered lunches during training, given free 'swag', told you can own a car paid for by company.....then you find how it's a 'good 'ol boy' mentality. Unless you like politics and don't really care about children in your care (who have already experienced traumatic events such as physical and sexual abuse) but just want to get the numbers up, then this is the place for you. Unethical practices abound.

Advice to Management

Won't do any good.

Sep 11, 2017 – Sr. HR Business Partner

ncgCARE takes all employee feedback seriously - good or bad and we hope you also took advantage of our invitation to complete an exit interview. Thank you for taking the time to express your... More

10. "Meh....."

I worked at National Counseling Group full-time

Pros

good starting place for employment in the field

Cons

not alot of opportunities for advancement, some people are caty