National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America Reviews | Glassdoor

National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America Reviews

2.5
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small office with a professional and friendly atmosphere. Management is fair to all employees and promotes effective teamwork. Exceptional work is recognized and appreciated by leadership. Excellent benefits and working hours are great.

Cons

As with any position in DC, commuting can be difficult at times.

2. "IMO, Absolutely HORRIBLE environment to work in"

Former Employee - Project/Administrative Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project/Administrative Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

Location near dupont, that's literally it.

Cons

Please note all of the following is in my personal opinion, and should be read as my personal, subjective interpretation of my experiences while working for this organization. Management is extremely difficult to work with/under. At the time, and I believe this is still so, there is no HR dept, and the entire office is run by 1 person, who, in my observations, rarely showed up to the office, almost never on time, and micromanages beyond anything I've ever seen. With no HR dept, and a board of directors based on the opposite coast, there's no checks and balances system (should there even need to be?). Passive aggressive is how I could best describe the culture here. Management and employees engaged in almost constant gossip culture, behind closed doors and sometimes not, I once overheard staff talking about me in a nearby room when they thought I wasn't around. I received passive-aggressive emails sent to me while manager was literally across the room asking why I had left the office two minutes early. Directions never seemed clear, and expectations shifted constantly. It never seemed to be an office that pushed to do anything better or different, so there's very little work to actually be done here, rather it bottle necks for a few weeks every year. My days were tortuously boring and slow, which believe me, is a bad thing.

No career opportunities here, too small of an office, to advance, someone would likely need to quit or retire to fill a void. Employees shared their personal views on religion, politics, and race, which can make for a very uncomfortable environment. I've since moved on to a much more structured, driven office and can really see clearly everything that was done wrong with NCBFAA. I could never recommend anyone pursue employment with this organization under the policies that existed at the time.

I worked there for about 2 years, and not a single person I worked with there had positive things to say or seemed happy, so I'm very surprised by any positive reviews, I'd be weary of those.

Advice to Management

Strive to be better, organized, and structured. Trust your employees and encourage them to bring new ideas to the table. Be present, but not overbearing. Put emphasis on team environment, and things could get better

"Coordinator"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

Pros

Enjoyable clients, interesting field, reasonable work load for job outside the government. Assortment of fellow workers, with judicious chance to climb for a small company. Easy location for commuting, and average expectations for a 9-5 with ok pay and benefits.

Cons

Like many non-for-profits where I've worked, they seem to have their share of the "new boss" on the block transition when unpaid helpers get involved in office, and confusion in some departments as a result. abundant number of commanders.

4. "Overall great"

Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has offered me a very amicable work environment with people who i have come to respect greatly. They also offer great benefits! I have come to appreciate the nice location of D.C and the metro which is conveniently located close by. I have also seen exceptional work ethic, and there is plenty of room for advancement!

Cons

The metro can be a pain sometimes!

"Horrible"

Pros

Good pay, good starting experience, free energy drinks in the morning

Cons

Verbally abusive management, comission only pay (no base pay, just quota), extremely stressful environment, forced unpaid overtime and saturdays and threats to job and paycuts if you do not comply, unprofessional environment

Advice to Management

Nothing to say...

"Horrible Office"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, beginning experience, metro access, chance to start in non-profit community, lessons on how to deal with difficult offices

Cons

Management is hard to deal with, favoritism and there is only one person running the show, regardless of how they make it seem.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, give more benefits, 25% 401k matching is awful, metro benefits would be amazing. also, stop with the gossip

"Not even close to a good employment option"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Customs Brokers & Forwarders Association of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of food near the office, the elevator operators, close to multiple metro lines, comradery with other employees going through the same things as you

Cons

Where to begin.... upper management comprises a majority of the negative aspects of this company. Upper management has created a work environment that breeds negativity, and suffocates any hope that the NCBFAA has had for a positive future. First off, everyone in this office is micro-managed while simultaneously being told that we should be making our own decisions to "lighten the load" on our upper management (upper management is one person). Now, upper management does have a high work load the one week out of the month that our fearless leader is present. Silence on the line while upper management is gone, and then when upper management returns, it is as if someone chopped off their head and sent them running down an obstacle course, where upper management trips, falls, and freaks out over every little minute detail that has absolutely no significance in anything that is important to the association. Upper management can be extremely manipulative, going through trash cans, computer files, emails, browsing history, and all of this will be in pursuit of discovering things about you personally. I have come back to my desk being covered in papers, and having everything pulled out of my drawers. Very little is done, and a genuine appreciation for what you do is very rare and hard to come by as your responsibilities are piled up high without any sort of financial compensation. You will never get a raise, you will never get a promotion, what you will get is a boss who is deceitful, manipulative, frantic, and has no leadership skills whatsoever. Upper management seems to wonder why the association doesn't run smoothly, or why they cannot retain quality employees.... Puh-lease. Oh, and even though this is a salary position, you will be clocking in. I never got over how strange that is.

Advice to Management

Chill out, be at work, communicate more effectively, offer promotions, raises, provide better benefits, don't be so manipulative, leave our computers and desks alone

"Before you Accept an Offer...Please Read!"

Pros

Great location! Plenty of lunch spots! Made a few friends here :)

Cons

Let me start off by saying this is not a calculated review to deter future employees. This is simply an honest review from an employee, who would like to bring to light what will not be explained or apparent to you before you quit your current job or pass up another opportunity to work here. I'm sure that everyone would agree that loving where you work goes hand in hand with your overall health and the level of stress you experience while working for an employer.

1. It would be helpful for you to know that the culture of this office is generally affected by leadership.

A common definition of leadership is a person within an organization who inspires progression, encourages professional growth, possesses exceptional communication abilities, effectively mobilizes their workforce to embrace teamwork to complete the task at hand efficiently, and promoting healthy working relationships between staff members.

PROGRESSION
    The leadership at this office does everything but. Progression in this office in terms of completing projects within a reasonable time-frame is almost impossible because of leadership's inability to trust staff and their professional capabilities. Because of this, micro-management runs rampart in this office. You can almost be sure that moving a project pass the approval stage will either never happen or will be prolonged to the point you may have to start over by the time leadership gets around to reviewing/approving.

PROFESSIONAL GROWTH
    Quite often I'd exhibit an interest in training targeted towards certain areas of my day-to-day duties and to help fulfill the mission of the Association. My multiple requests have gone unanswered for so long that I assumed professional growth was not encouraged. To date, I have still never received so much as a simply "yes" or "no" from leadership about whether not it would be beneficial to attend.

COMMUNICATION
    Leadership and other members of this staff have terrible habits of including the entire office in emails that are not relative to recipient's job functions. Often enough these emails do not even require collaboration between departments. This becomes a tremendous headache, especially if you receive a high volume of emails on a daily basis from external parties.

Additionally, when these types of emails come from leadership requesting a certain task/project be completed, there is an apparent failure to communicate who is accountable. You may/may not agree that this is an inefficient method for assigning a task as there is often confusion when leadership is not in the office. At that point, the question of who's going to do it is the common question among staff. Well if nobody feels they are accountable, the task will not get completed.

WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
    This can be the stressful part of working here among other things. Leadership is certainly the catalyst for the dynamics of this office and it's toxicity. Leadership is blatantly biased and unashamed so this will never really help the employee who is not a favorite, yet wants to thrive. Be wary! Leadership encourages gossip among this small staff of professionals. It's so bad that if you are the employee being talked about, you have to hear it when you walk pass an office. Pretty harsh! Also, the veteran employees seemed to have it made never mind how inefficient they are or intolerable to working with others in the office. Because they have "paid their due," they can say/do whatever they want to other employees with limited discipline, even if escalated to upper management. Leadership's delusional sense of ethics will surely get this Association in some serious legal trouble should they encounter the wrong employee with these practices.

STILL WANT TO COMMIT?
    If after reading this you still want to commit, be careful and most importantly know the lack of integrity is a big component of your interaction with leadership. Therefore, you must always document any encounter for purposes of protecting yourself and your credibility. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Keep in mind that this environment nor the biased/unethical attitudes of leadership will NEVER change. There is absolutely nothing you will be able to do to deter this behavior nor encourage change. IT WILL NEVER EVER HAPPEN! So sad but so very true. With that said, hopefully this review will be helpful and you can get passed these issues early on. You may be able to earn an easy paycheck with limited challenges.

Advice to Management

You are not an eponymous villain; just ignorant to how to be an effective and respected leader for your staff. It's apparent that your focus is not on the professional lives of your staff and it should be. If you can learn and implement the opposite of everything named under Cons, you will surely be that well-respected leader who will succeed because of the loyal staff you've developed who will refuse to see you fail.