National Democratic Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

National Democratic Institute Reviews

Updated Sep 10, 2019

Found 114 reviews

3.3
National Democratic Institute CEO Kenneth Wollack (no image)
Kenneth Wollack
Pros
  • "The work that NDI does is vital and unique(in 30 reviews)

• "Great junior staff, solid camaraderie, important work(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Generally junior staff are underpaid compared to other nonprofits in D(in 16 reviews)

• "I worked with multiple teams at NDI and the story is the same across teams(in 14 reviews)

1. "Excellent"

I worked at National Democratic Institute for more than a year

Pros

One of the best place to work, be productive and learn.

Cons

I don't find any cons for now!

National Democratic Institute2017-10-02
  2. "Great Mission but Changing Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Democratic Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Mission driven organization with many dedicated staff members across the globe. Fast paced work environment with great opportunities for people with skills who want to work hard. No better place to work for people who want to focus on democratic development work.

Cons

Entry and Mid-level staff created a union last year. Has created a real division between management and "staff" and begun to change the culture of the organization.

National Democratic Institute2019-09-10
  3. "Great people -- frustrating environment"

Former Employee - Senior Program Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at National Democratic Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Mission oriented, and a focus on doing good in the world.

Cons

Compensation well below the rest of the industry, bad management pervasive, and an unwillingness to reform or change.

National Democratic Institute2019-08-07

"A Tarnish Star"

Current Employee - Program Officer in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Democratic Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NDI is a mission driven institution that has a long history of stellar work NDI's staff are kind, driven, hardworking individuals In country staff and on the ground programs are of a high quality, for the most part

Cons

No one seems to be in charge here, there is no clear vision or strategy. Non-managers are treated as cogs in a machine and are not paid even close to their value and the amount of effort With a mass exodus of talented staff to IRI there seems to be no desire to even ask "why?" NDI is behind the times in terms of technology and allow people with ZERO tech background make decisions on the use of US tax dollars on tech based programs. It's Elizabeth Holmes on almost every grant. All leadership, with exception of the CFO, refuse to make decisions or be truly transparent on policies or strategies. The common phrase heard from those LEADING the institute is "Well, what can we do?!" Very little upward mobility

National Democratic Institute2019-05-09
  5. "Great Place to work!"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at National Democratic Institute full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Place to work, and great people.

Cons

Work life balance is less than ideal

National Democratic Institute2019-04-20

"Wonderful Mission, Terrible Management, Union Strong!"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Democratic Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

NDI recently unionized. Perhaps the strong and engaged staff can save this great institution from going the way of the dinosaurs. Committed and engaged staff.

Cons

I worked with multiple teams at NDI and the story is the same across teams. Stick it out for a couple of years and NDI looks good on your resume. You will have to endure: Disconnected management Managers who barely know what their teams are up to yet reap the rewards Very lax cybersecurity - I have a friend on the tech team that tells me horror stories about compliance and security - many breaches go unreported Very low staff morale. My team's interns worked a lot of unreported hours. Low wages and a HR team that use a lot of mental gymnastics to justify this Very weak HR that always bow to management - our team had a lot of layoffs a couple of years ago and HR and our managers said nothing to us in subsequent team meetings. Bad managers that are only sticking it out until retirement If you are junior staff (or on one of the admin teams like accounting or technology) you will work hard for low pay and very low work-life balance.

National Democratic Institute2019-04-23

"Incredible work, mediocre management, low pay"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Democratic Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work that NDI does is vital and unique. Junior staff is amazing. I would recommend working here despite the organization's significant flaws.

Cons

Upper management and the board of directors have been gathering dust for decades. Many of them should have been fired years ago for incompetence though it seems like they have lifetime appointments. Compensation for anything but the most senior staff is insulting (but the benefits are good).

National Democratic Institute2019-02-24

"Great work, not so great pay."

I have been working at National Democratic Institute full-time

Pros

You can work on great programs, and junior to mid level staff are generally good people. Recently started a union.

Cons

Low pay, crummy family leave, no comp time or comp for travel, telework discouraged, little transparency. Lots of turn over lately. Not a lot of room for growth for anyone other than junior staff.

National Democratic Institute2018-12-28

"Program Assistant"

I have been working at National Democratic Institute full-time

Pros

- well known in DC

Cons

- toxic work environment

National Democratic Institute2018-12-13

"Great People"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at National Democratic Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Staff are, for the most part, extremely talented and hard-working people. Organization really cares about the mission. Most staff, even in administrative functions, really believe in mission and want to do good work. Working there gives junior staff a great ability to understand how to manage and run programs and operations. If you stay there awhile and work hard, there is a real sense of family with co workers.

Cons

Generally junior staff are underpaid compared to other nonprofits in D.C.. It can be heavy on beaucracy but largely because of donors. Not much ability to move up after manager level as senior management does not change much. Some managers are great and others are bad. Lack of formal training. Management is slow to respond to change. At times, management ignores concerns raised because it is against favored staff or their perception of situation.

National Democratic Institute2018-08-18