National Federation of Independent Business Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Juanita Duggan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company really goes out its way to support the production and growth of each sales rep (in 8 reviews)

• Also, Most of the members are great people and appreciate what the NFIB does for them (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • As a field sales rep I am feeling less and less valued by the organization (in 5 reviews)

• telephone sales region culture has some negative dynamics with management extremely focused strictly on revenues and not on individuals (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales"

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Money, mission, mobility. They have all 3.

Cons

Could get lonely for the wrong person.

2. "Excellent Company A+"

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Cause-driven organization that makes a significant and tangible positive impact for small businesses in America. Great leadership, communication, benefits and work-life balance. I love my job!

Cons

No downside to working at NFIB.

3. "Business Specialist"

Pros

Paid training was the only positive

Cons

Unrealistic Sales quotas were needed to earn decent pay

4. "NFIB is full of great employees, toxic leaders"

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

The individual employees are wonderful people I will be friends with for many, many years. The pay is good. The office is nicely located in the heart of D.C. and surrounded by all sorts of good food.

Cons

The leadership is not good. Inexperienced in managing people, nit-picky and babysit. If you want to grow, this isn't the place. If you want to come to work and get paid for being there without having any ideas or doing anything exciting, this is the place for you. The structure is old and outdated with poor HR policies and little to no actual culture. Health insurance benefit is mediocre at best.

Advice to Management

You have incredibly talented and great people working for you. Let them run with their talents!

5. "Mentally challenging"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company really goes out its way to support the production and growth of each sales rep.

Cons

100% Commision, there is no consistency. Everyday is different. The job remains mentally challenging.

"Major IT Culture Issues"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slower pace. Decent pay. Non profit world does not make greedy decisions. Cool to be a part of relevant issues related to the economy, small business, etc.

Cons

Somewhat of an Absentee CIO. Really only engages the team once/month in an all hands.

Antiquated sales model - door to door.

Cynicism, negativity, and bad attitudes are predominant culture, particularly in IT middle management. Solid professionals with positive energy won't subject themselves to it for long once they realize that's part of the fabric of the culture.

Antiquated employee policies. Typical with a company this old.

Losing relevance and subscribers/members at net loss clip of around 3,000/quarter. No real plan to recover.

Technology is not seen as a business differentiation, rather just a support system of the business. Product development is rarely, if ever, directly tied to growth or sales initiatives. Most front office technology is outsourced.

No focus on talent management. It's all about tenure.

High turnover & attrition rate.

Advice to Management

Re-calibrate IT priorities to match business priorities related to sales, growth, member retention.

Get rid of toxic people and get intentional about building a culture...it doesn't just happen based on who's there. Someone has to define, then hire & train to the culture.

"Need Modern Selling Tactics"

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Good manager support. Freedom to create your own schedule. high earning potential. iPad presentation

Cons

Although they have an iPad presentation, they need more modern ways to sell to today's business owner. A lot of people do not want to give you any money without doing their research.

Advice to Management

Develop a team to sell to bigger franchises - so that you get local owner buy in.

"Good place to work"

Pros

-Good office environment
    -Collegial atmosphere
    -Committed co-workers

Cons

-Depending on the political cycle, there can be a lot of turnover

"Membership Representative"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding training and sales support. Reputable, well-known national organization that has a top-notch government relations shop.

Cons

Parallel telephone sales division sometimes overly aggressive during membership renewal process.

Advice to Management

Allow field sales team to take ownership of new accounts sold so that renewal is made by same rep each year.

"Where to start?"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Springfield, IL

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One pro to working for NFIB is that no one knows where you are or what you are doing ever. Also you receive a lot of vacation, sick days, holiday, time off etc. with this job (however this is not a pro because you get paid $0 for all of it). So much for getting excited for Christmas guys, you will be sick because you are wondering how you are going to make a paycheck. This still happens and I've been there many years.

Cons

There really isn't a place to start here. You're selling plaques people and that's it. They are always looking for their next Rookie of the year and even if that was you don't expect them to remember past yesterday. They are constantly paying you less money. Not one single field representative is making more money this year than last (oh yeah and we learned that right before our New Years Day off that we don't get paid for). I don't care how good you are at this, you will run out of places to go. The people up at the top just keep changing things to try to justify their existence when the fact is the only position that can't be replaced at NFIB is the field rep and they're never consulted before anything (even if you are a part of the leadership development you are clueless about changes around the corner). They're cons to say the least. All the time I've been with them I've worked with my manager for half a day. If they want to cut expenses that is where they need to cut from. District Managers do NOTHING but talk on the phone and eat out. They are the laziest group of people you'd ever see. There is no need for management in this job, we manage ourselves, I make six figures doing this because of myself (it has not a single thing to do with who is above me).

Advice to Management

Cut all management except for Regional Managers. There is no need to pay them to travel, eat out and talk on the phone when they have not been responsible for getting a single member on board. Why can't they do all the job samples? How does it make sense to have a field representative do the job sample and possibly not make a dollar while doing it when you have people on salary NOT DOING ANYTHING. Want to prove my point, just call one of them, they'll answer or call right back, because they have nothing going on. All this aligning of territories, assigning renewals etc. doesn't call for that many managers.