National Federation of Independent Business Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Juanita Duggan

Pros
  • Very supportive environment for new hires as they work to learn the nuances of the field sales rep position (in 7 reviews)

• I've been a full time Field sales rep for 6 years and enjoy all of the above plus having some flexibility in my schedule (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • But when you don't meet your goal for any month you go to a 100% commission with no base (in 5 reviews)

• As a field sales rep I am feeling less and less valued by the organization (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Member Represnetative"

Pros

Just like the independent/small business owners who are members, NFIB is YOUR own business. Just like your members, it comes with all the opportunities to be seized, the managers AND support teams that want you to succeed, the voice to be heard, and all the challenges to be overcome. Make no mistake, the training and the mission are top notch. You truly have the ability to be self motivated and driven while having the flexibility to manage your time, and are awarded for your success and no one else's.

It's always great to see NFIB quoted in the local and national press and to know it's the members independent voice is being amplified, not some back room group with a hidden agenda.

Cons

Just like the independent/small business owners who are members, NFIB is YOUR own business. The reality is some days are good days, and some days are bad days. It's tough when you are on your own, it gets hard to be self disciplined and persistence wains. It's hard taking "No" for an answer and staying on message. You must stay positive (as in any outside sales job) when others are negative, and when you forget all that... stop, regroup, and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing (keep investing in modernizing the model and keep innovating). It's still a team effort, and no one has all the answers. Its not problems members have, they are opportunities. And remind everyone involved why NFIB's voice and its independent mission is so important.

Oct 6, 2016 – National Employment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. We agree, the sales representative position is a lot like being a self-employed business owner with rewards and challenges. The plus is you are an employee of NFIB ... More

2. "If you're a self-manager then this job is for you."

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The overall organization from sales support to sales reps and all the way up to the administration and public policy work well together to have a great product to sell.

Cons

The only cons is yourself not being prepared to work Mon-Fri. If you have a hard time being a self-manager then seek other employment. Everyone says they can sell when interviewing with companies. This is not true. You will get rejection with this job and it's up to you to keep pushing through.

Advice to Management

Don't change the dangled carrot that is in front of the reps. There's way to many emails that go out to the reps and stop putting so much pressure that comes from the top down.

3. "sales rep"

Pros

Nice on your own schedule

Cons

Not enough money you get paid

Advice to Management

More money to give employees

5. "Tough but Rewarding"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Independent work environment, great bonuses. Not a hard close, but must be willing to assume the sale.

Cons

Not for the faint hearted. This is a legitimate opportunity, but requires strong self motivation and mental toughness to handle the rejection that comes with cold calling.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourself and the reps concerning the quality of the prospect database.

6. "Division Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just a awesome company to work for! Small Business matters!

Cons

Wish I had more time in the day to do more!

7. "Excellent training and very supportive management."

Pros

Quality organization that is actively working to promote small business success. Keeps employees and members up to date on Federal and State legislation that can impact their business.

Cons

Membership sales using their sales techniques is not a good fit for everyone that has done sales in the past. Make sure their style is right for you.

Oct 6, 2016 – National Employment Manager

Thanks for taking time to post a review. You are right, the NFIB sales style isn’t for everyone but when it is right it’s rewarding and fulfilling. Therese Arbuckle

8. "State Director"

Current Employee - State Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - State Director in Denver, CO

Pros

Able to design a workable, strategic, and flexible work plan.

Cons

That's how we always do it.

Advice to Management

Disruption

"Avoid"

Pros

The people I worked with were all very nice. They provided fairly good training, but not right away. You had to earn it, and this is where many fall through the cracks. They had regular calls to update us on what kind of new legislation was in the pipeline that would be disturbing to small business owners. Often though the calls were spent on ways to get checks from business owners in the emphasized one call close. They loved sports metaphors. Lots of high pressure techniques were emphasized as well.

Cons

Very old school crowd. Too much high pressure constantly put on sales staff by everyone in management. Initial training is crazy fast, and doesn't allow adequate time to do all that's required. These people like to start EARLY and work you long hours. Be prepared to wear out your shoes. No base salary was awful and stressful. Did I mention the constant pressure put on you by management? They didn't even leave you alone on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much pressure on the field representatives. Take more time for training and preparing your staff. Care more about the businesses you represent.

"I currently work here and would no longer recommend this job"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and great cause. Organization itself is awesome and they really do stand up for the little guy.

Cons

As a field sales rep I am feeling less and less valued by the organization. Ive been with the company two years and here is what you need to know.

- Field reps are primarily responsible for acquiring new businesses. After a year on the job you have the opportunity to renew everyone that you signed up during your first year. The NFIB just started changing this policy recently. Now, after you sign up a member, they are prompted to renew via email before you have access to them in the field. If they decline to use that method then you get a shot at them. This has already started digging into my take-home pay.

- In addition to these changes, I now also have to battle against our online marketing team who work within my territory. For example, I recently presented to an auto mechanic who had never heard of the NFIB before. We were interrupted by several customers and I told him I would come back another day. Well, the next time I returned he had joined online using the business card I left. I received no credit or commission and I was told that I should have closed on the spot. Probably true, but still...

- As you can imagine, every territory has a finite number businesses within it. Some territories are large while others aren't. Regardless of the size, field reps are going to be forced into doing more and more travel in order to find new business as renewals are shifted towards email. Right now, my days are a combination of renewing members and finding new ones. As the focus transitions into making my role mostly new, I will be driving more and spending the night away from home without any compensation.

Advice to Management

It's clear you are experimenting with the field sales position in an effort to maximize member growth. This is fine, every organization must undergo periodic changes to stay afloat. However, it's already difficult sharing a territory with telephone sales, (we also have telephone sales that work the same territory simultaneously) let alone online and email marketing.

Be more transparent with the field and you will not have to worry about running into reviews like this on glass door.com.

"Stagnant Organization Full of Nice People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Pros

Laidback, nice colleagues, trying to evolve

Cons

Stagnant, company bleeds money, terrible sales model

Advice to Management

Revamp sales structure, align messaging, enforce same expectations across the board.

Aug 30, 2016 – National Employment Manager

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your positive feedback on the people here at NFIB. We appreciate your comments and suggestions. Should you be open to sharing any specifics, I would welcome ... More