National Federation of Independent Business Reviews

Updated May 23, 2020

4.7
National Federation of Independent Business  President Brad Close
Brad Close
Pros
  • "Everyone at NFIB wants you to succeed(in 63 reviews)

• "The work life balance is the best(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "I wish I had started sooner for NFIB(in 27 reviews)

• "The Member Rep position is essentially straight commission(in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I believe in what NFIB stands for!"

Current Employee - Membership Representative in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for less than a year

Pros

I started 5 months ago as a field membership representative for NFIB! Before accepting the position, I worked for 15 years in a fast paced retail environment, the last 10 years as a manager. I worked 70+ hours a week, weekends, holidays, stress filled, and spent little to no time with family. Needless to say, I was ready for a change. I had been applying on and off for other companies for over a year with no success for a better opportunity. I found NFIB job posting, on a job board, and decided to apply for the position close to my area. The interview process is extensive as I went through a phone get to know you call, a real phone interview with recruiter, and then a final face to face interview with the sales manager over my territory. Then, upon being chosen, the manager set me up for a job sample with an existing field rep, which essentially lets you get a taste of what being a membership rep is all about without the commitment. It gave me an opportunity to ask my trainer all of my need to know questions before I took the position. The whole process from applying to hire took about a month, but it was worth the wait. I researched NFIB extensively before accepting the position, and found mainly positive information about the company, which is almost unheard of for sales type positions. After much deliberation with my wife, I decided to accept the position with NFIB, and the rest is history. After 5 months with the company, I am now completing a sales training course to help further my career with NFIB, and the sky is the limit. I truly do believe in everything this organization stands for, we are The Voice of America's small and independent businesses and as a membership representative of NFIB, I get to share our story with business owners every day! I have taken the liberty of adding several bullet points on everything I believe is a Pro about NFIB below so you can make an informed decision! -More family time (Monday-Friday type schedule, but you can work weekends if you choose) -Make your own schedule to an extent (You can start as early as you want, and end as late as you want, as long as you are finding business owners) -Unlimited earning potential with some of the best commissions in any sales job out there, and huge bonus and residual potential as well plus monthly mileage reimbursement -Working for a great cause (NFIB testifies and advocates for small business owners at Federal and State level) -Working for a non-profit organization -8-10 county territory (depending on the size of counties) with basically unlimited opportunities to find prospects. -Great sales tools and technology (use ipad for everything from prospecting to sales presentation to processing member sales transactions.) -Training programs are phenomenal (1 week of on the job training at first, follow up retraining during your 3rd week, and invaluable 1 week sales training class when you hit weekly goals for a certain time period which only helps you to continue to further your career. -Long term employees with wealth of knowledge at your fingertips -Experienced company leaders from my direct manager all the way up to the top. (Majority of leaders are promoted from within) -Reputation (76 years standing up for small business owners) -Great benefits (insurance, 401k, wellness program) -6 month new hire compensation plan is top rate and honestly a huge plus versus taking any other sales job out there. -Advancement Opportunities (several different levels of leadership opportunity from becoming a certified trainer and much more) -This is not a MLM or anything remotely close to MLM, which is a plus for me. You determine your income, and the members you help believe in NFIB and what we stand for.

Cons

There are only really 2 true cons that I can think of this particular position. -Wear and Tear on vehicle (you do drive a lot, but they do provide mileage reimbursement to offset that cost) -The job is repetitive, so it can be a mental game to overcome. Your biggest enemy is yourself in this job. You have to stay positive with yourself and just keep telling the story by the script with passion, conviction, integrity, and you have to believe in NFIB to tell that story to business owners. These aren't really cons, just want to address some misconceptions that I have seen or heard since I have been with NFIB. -The biggest misconception about really any sales job is that anyone can do it. Sales jobs are not for everyone. This job is different, you don't have to be a salesman or have sales experience, you have to be able to tell a story. You have to be a Talesman. -You either need to have great memorization skills, or be prepared to work your butt off to be able to memorize this (This is me), because their is a verbatim script that is quintessential to what we do. It is the backbone, you can't just wing it and expect to do well with this job. -It is commission based, which means your activity, your effort, and your ability to tell our story determines your earning potential. Right now I am making around the same $ I was making at my previous position with a large retailer I worked for 15 years. That means it took me 15 years with that other company to make it to the level I am at working 5 months with NFIB, wish I would have started here 15 years ago. My earning potential continues to grow. -You have to be able to handle rejection, which is true in any sales job, having a thick skin is important. You can't take the no's personal, they are not saying no to you personally. The yes' and the members you help make all of it worthwhile, and keep you going everyday. -Last, you have to have a great work ethic. You can't just coast by in this job. Attitude+Effort=Success

National Federation of Independent Business2019-11-08
  2. "They care about their employees!!"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Berkeley Springs, Morgan, WV

Pros

Great earnings potential, independence, They take good care of employees

Cons

Need to be self motivated, can go through highs and lows

National Federation of Independent Business2020-05-24

"Best Company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Member Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for more than a year

Pros

Caring and nurturing culture - leadership is committed to provide you with the knowledge, process and training necessary for your success. Allows talented people to thrive and achieve the highest level they can - no holding you back or controlling your income stream. There is no lack of customers.

Cons

AS with any field member services position, you are part of a team but your daily work is independent.

National Federation of Independent Business2020-05-06
  4. "Great work on behalf of small business"

Former Employee - NFIB in Nashville, TN

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Advocacy on behalf of small business

Cons

Only downside is the company only has one area of focus which is needed but in down turns the company does not have another area of business to rely upon for revenue streams

National Federation of Independent Business2020-05-08
  5. "Great place to work with a culture that cares about its people"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

The opportunity to help small business be heard. Rewarding career that generally is lucrative if you work hard.

Cons

Prospects who instead of being diplomatic and saying they aren't interested find the need to be hostile.

National Federation of Independent Business2020-05-04

"Taking Care of Employees"

Current Employee - Member Representative in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

During pandemic, NFIB has shown they are truly a family and care about their employees. They have adjusted their bonus and compensation levels to make sure their employees are taken care of.

Cons

I don't feel there is a downside to working for NFIB.

National Federation of Independent Business2020-04-27
  7. "Exceptional Opportunity"

Current Employee - Division Trainer in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

flexible schedule, benefits, supportive culture, great pay structure, rewarding

Cons

must be self motivated and organized

National Federation of Independent Business2020-04-29
  8. "FSR"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

Pros

There are several pros. The ability to help small business owners and entrepreneurs affect change in congress both nationally and locally. Growth potential is unlimited. If you work hard you can earn as much as you want. Leadership is very active and trains, role plays, and helps you reach you set and reach your goals. Training was unlike any other sales position that I have done before. The amount of resources available is great!

Cons

These are only cons if you see them that way. Commission only after a set period of time. You work out of your vehicle and your territory can be quite large.

National Federation of Independent Business2020-04-29
  9. "Hands down the best company I have ever worked for!"

Current Employee - Member Sales Representative

Pros

You have so much support coming from every angle of this company. Especially during the Covid 19 pandemic. They look out for their employees and genuinely care about every single employee. NFIB changed my life. Period! I will forever be grateful to NFIB and for being apart of such an amazing team.

Cons

You get what you put in. Believe and get out there and you will succeed. Not putting the time and effort in because you make your own schedule you will fail.

National Federation of Independent Business2020-04-28
  10. "Excellent Company"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Environment, employee benefits, income, leadership

Cons

I can not think of anything I would change at NFIB

National Federation of Independent Business2020-04-27