National Federation of Independent Business Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Juanita Duggan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very supportive environment for new hires as they work to learn the nuances of the field sales rep position (in 7 reviews)

• I've been a full time Field sales rep for 6 years and enjoy all of the above plus having some flexibility in my schedule (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • But when you don't meet your goal for any month you go to a 100% commission with no base (in 5 reviews)

• As a field sales rep I am feeling less and less valued by the organization (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Member Represnetative"

Pros

Just like the independent/small business owners who are members, NFIB is YOUR own business. Just like your members, it comes with all the opportunities to be seized, the managers AND support teams that want you to succeed, the voice to be heard, and all the challenges to be overcome. Make no mistake, the training and the mission are top notch. You truly have the ability to be self motivated and driven while having the flexibility to manage your time, and are awarded for your success and no one else's.

It's always great to see NFIB quoted in the local and national press and to know it's the members independent voice is being amplified, not some back room group with a hidden agenda.

Cons

Just like the independent/small business owners who are members, NFIB is YOUR own business. The reality is some days are good days, and some days are bad days. It's tough when you are on your own, it gets hard to be self disciplined and persistence wains. It's hard taking "No" for an answer and staying on message. You must stay positive (as in any outside sales job) when others are negative, and when you forget all that... stop, regroup, and you'll be fine.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing (keep investing in modernizing the model and keep innovating). It's still a team effort, and no one has all the answers. Its not problems members have, they are opportunities. And remind everyone involved why NFIB's voice and its independent mission is so important.

National Federation of Independent Business Response

Oct 6, 2016 – National Employment Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience. We agree, the sales representative position is a lot like being a self-employed business owner with rewards and challenges. The plus is you are an employee of NFIB... More

2. "Good place to work"

Pros

-Good office environment
    -Collegial atmosphere
    -Committed co-workers

Cons

-Depending on the political cycle, there can be a lot of turnover

3. "Membership Representative"

Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Member Service Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding training and sales support. Reputable, well-known national organization that has a top-notch government relations shop.

Cons

Parallel telephone sales division sometimes overly aggressive during membership renewal process.

Advice to Management

Allow field sales team to take ownership of new accounts sold so that renewal is made by same rep each year.

"Where to start?"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Springfield, IL

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One pro to working for NFIB is that no one knows where you are or what you are doing ever. Also you receive a lot of vacation, sick days, holiday, time off etc. with this job (however this is not a pro because you get paid $0 for all of it). So much for getting excited for Christmas guys, you will be sick because you are wondering how you are going to make a paycheck. This still happens and I've been there many years.

Cons

There really isn't a place to start here. You're selling plaques people and that's it. They are always looking for their next Rookie of the year and even if that was you don't expect them to remember past yesterday. They are constantly paying you less money. Not one single field representative is making more money this year than last (oh yeah and we learned that right before our New Years Day off that we don't get paid for). I don't care how good you are at this, you will run out of places to go. The people up at the top just keep changing things to try to justify their existence when the fact is the only position that can't be replaced at NFIB is the field rep and they're never consulted before anything (even if you are a part of the leadership development you are clueless about changes around the corner). They're cons to say the least. All the time I've been with them I've worked with my manager for half a day. If they want to cut expenses that is where they need to cut from. District Managers do NOTHING but talk on the phone and eat out. They are the laziest group of people you'd ever see. There is no need for management in this job, we manage ourselves, I make six figures doing this because of myself (it has not a single thing to do with who is above me).

Advice to Management

Cut all management except for Regional Managers. There is no need to pay them to travel, eat out and talk on the phone when they have not been responsible for getting a single member on board. Why can't they do all the job samples? How does it make sense to have a field representative do the job sample and possibly not make a dollar while doing it when you have people on salary NOT DOING ANYTHING. Want to prove my point, just call one of them, they'll answer or call right back, because they have nothing going on. All this aligning of territories, assigning renewals etc. doesn't call for that many managers.

"Field Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working your own schedule, full autonomy, working with like minded people and business owners.

Cons

Lots of your success has to do with where your territory is, and/or how far you are willing to drive to find business. They promise great pay, and some have made a good income, however their territory has a lot to do with it. The age of the territory, and the political climate in the territory can make or break your success at NFIB.
    Also, NFIB recently changed their comp plan to no longer allow you to renew the members you signed up originally first. They go through the telephone, email, and web sales channels first now, and the ones that don't renew through those channels are then spit out of the systems for the Field to try and save. This results in fewer renewals, as well as they are less likely to renew because they've been hassled already to renew.
    It didn't used to be this way and all have seen their comp go down because of this. Renewal work is a sizable percentage of the total comp plan
    They also recently lowered the amount you get paid per member as well. Combine this with the increase in mileage you have to drive (which is NOT reimbursed) to continue to find new or not recently worked territory and your net income continues to go down.

Advice to Management

Quit changing the comp plan every year that makes it harder and harder to maintain our net income.
    Don't focus on how many times you are seen on Fox Business or how often you are re-tweeted, but rather how well legislation is actually getting influenced to better our members. THAT is what shows our relevance.

"Like selling vacuums door-to-door, but worse"

Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sell and you are paid. Walk cold into 30 businesses/day vs 20/day and you earn more. If you like rah-rah, you'll get a lot of cheer-leading here.

Cons

At least with encyclopedia's and vacuums, they won't telemarket into your so-called territory to greatly diminish new business opps and renew memberships. They sent in out- of -area reps, even out of state, to sell in your NON-protected territory,methodically raking over it. Arrive at a business-cold, and find they've been called/bothered, 3-4 times already by phone. Pick your partners wisely. "Field-first" is a promise of your right to sell your own renewals after that 1st year you sold membership. It was not honored, was taken capriciously and doled piecemeal like a carrot for a mule. Don't be a mule. Run, don't walk, from those who do not honor their word. Tip: The dishonorable in biz will smile in your face, and very convincingly.

Advice to Management

Short-sighted policies bring short-term gains. Be in it for the long haul and reduce massive turnover by doing what you say, by respecting your Reps, by having truly protected territories.

"Technical Debt Hell"

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Some nice people who work there

Cons

Job security comes /w politics

Advice to Management

Unearth bad data and a processes so they can be fixed instead of covered up.

8. "Save for the rainy day."

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

Pros

Mission is awesome and truly needed.

Cons

Expense costs with wear and tear on car can be rough.

Advice to Management

Train, train and train.

9. "Stable then got shaky"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Federation of Independent Business full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At first good environment where employees were encouraged grow within the company. Leadership worked with transparency , provided constructive feedback and gave you proper assurance about your status.

Cons

Now everyone is in high anxiety about random and major changes concerning letting people go. No one feels safe and all focus is based on the exposure of the CEO.

National Federation of Independent Business Response

Jun 5, 2017 – National Employment Manager

Thank you for your review. As you stated, change is sometimes difficult and may cause anxiety. Here at NFIB we value our employees, their many contributions to our success, and work to create an... More

10. "Sales"

I worked at National Federation of Independent Business full-time

Pros

Money, mission, mobility. They have all 3.

Cons

Could get lonely for the wrong person.