KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

National Federation of Independent Business

Engaged Employer

National Federation of Independent Business

Add a Review

National Federation of Independent Business Employee Reviews about "straight commission"

Updated Apr 21, 2020

Found 10 of over 282 reviews

4.6
National Federation of Independent Business  President Brad Close
Brad Close
Pros
  • "I have been with NFIB going on 8 years(in 70 reviews)

• "Helping small business owners gives me a sense of pride(in 51 reviews)

• Cons
  • "I don't feel there is a downside to working for NFIB(in 27 reviews)

• "There is an emotional side to deal with in this job know that the livelihood of small business owners are sometimes at stake(in 21 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "straight commission"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great organization that takes care of members and employees alike!!

Apr 20, 2020 - Member Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent culture of encouragement. Wonderful opportunity for financial stability combined with flexible hours. Represents and outstanding cause: small business and free enterprise. Management that goes above and beyond to take care of its employees.

Cons

The job is straight commission after a period of time. (This is not really a con if you are motivated and willing to follow the formula for success.)

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great cause. Great earnings. Great Culture.

Aug 20, 2019 - Division Manager/Sales in Rochester, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can feel good about what you are doing. You can make a very good living (especially for those living in more rural locations where the $100k job opportunities are fewer). The culture at NFIB is service. We all help each other. We all want to see our fellow employees succeed. We promote from within. I came to NFIB in late 2001. The hiring interview had me thinking it was too good to be true. Turned out to be better than they told me. NFIB has stood by me, trained me and advanced me. I like the financial rewards but love the cause. I feel good everyday knowing that the organization I work for plays a vital role in promoting and protecting the American free enterprise system that I love. Our mission is to protect our members right to own, operate and grow their business. We take that mission seriously and we are effective.

Cons

The Member Rep position is essentially straight commission. This means your weekly and monthly income can have it's ups and downs. However the ups can be very good. You have to have the mentality that if you keep with the program it will all average out. Some may consider this a con, I don't look at it as a con. You have to be a self motivated person willing and able to work on your own. If you need constant supervision and motivation, this is not for you. If you like to call your own shots, this has a lot of upside for you. The upside is earnings over $100,000. For the elite it is well over $100,000.

4 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for with great benefits!

Jul 26, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Endicott, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great compensation package that rewards those that work hard as well as a very competitive benefits package. A lot of freedom that allows for a good work/life balance. Probably the closest thing to owning your own business while still being a W-2 employee. The company also promotes from within so for those looking for career growth NFIB is a great opportunity.

Cons

Straight commission position-this can be difficult for those who aren't used to that type of pay structure (there is training pay during your first 6 months while you are learning the role)

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't waste your time

Nov 13, 2019 - Field Sales Representative in Portland, OR
      Business Outlook

Pros

Only having short exposure to them

Cons

They advertise the position as having 26 weeks of paid training before you go on straight commission. What they don't tell you is you have to make sales quotas that equal or exceed the training pay or they convert you to straight commission prior to the end of the 26 weeks. If you entertain accepted this position get the pay plan in writing first. Read it completely. It is a way to attract a better caliber of employee! Don't fall for their charade. Don't waste your time.

7 people found this review helpful

National Federation of Independent Business Response

National Director of Employment

Thank you for the review and we appreciate the feedback. Your concerns have been heard and our job description and compensation plan has been revised to more clearly reflect the performance and production requirements relative to training pay and the pay plan as a whole. The Membership Representative role is 100% commission only role and successful representatives must meet performance and productivity requirements. If there are other questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me at shelbie.webster@nfib.org. Thank you.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very supportive company

Apr 21, 2020 - Field Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Balance of professional and personal life, freedom, very lucrative commission plan, wonderful intro and continued training, management is very supportive, time off

Cons

Straight commission, Time off is unpaid

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company to work for

Jul 31, 2019 - Membership Representative in Nashua, NH
      Business Outlook

Pros

You are working for a great cause. NFIB appreciates the sales force. Flexible schedule. Unlimited income potential.

Cons

Straight commission. Sometimes hard to stay motivated in the field.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

If you're a true sales professional, you'll love this job!

Jun 1, 2016 - Telephone Sales Representative in Boca Raton, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve had the privilege and honor of working with the NFIB for the past eight years, the first three and a half as a field sales representative, and the last four as a telephone sales representative. I can’t imagine a more wonderful place to work for a true sales professional. First of all, the training and personal attention you receive to excel at your job is wonderful, and you’re always made to feel as if you’re an important part of the NFIB team. Whether you work in the telephone sales office or in the field, every day you’re in personal contact with small business owners of all sorts, representing our country’s most powerful business lobby group, whose sole purpose is to help protect their right to own, operate and grow their business! We’re basically the “good guys”, the heroes for small business! The income potential for a sales rep at the NFIB is truly incredible. Finally, a place where you get paid what you’re worth! If you work hard and do well, you’re richly rewarded for your efforts. They also have a wonderful trip every year for top producers, and many other incentives, contests, trips and prizes throughout the year. The benefits are second to none, and they really go above and beyond to take care of their employees in every way, making sure all their needs are met. The NFIB is truly a wonderful organization. Its great to go to work every day and feel like you’re making a difference … and making GREAT money at the same time! I’m so happy and thankful that I’m an NFIB employee.

Cons

Some people feel a straight commission job is a "con", but if you're a true sales professional, it's the best!

8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Great Organization, Tough First Year

Feb 17, 2015 - Field Sales Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great organization with conservative values. The offer an excellent compensation package for Field Sales Reps who are just starting, and provide Incredible benefits too. There is a lot of online training available, along with support from management in many cases.

Cons

Straight commission can be incredibly scary. If you don't have a territory that is in close proximity to where you live, you could be spending more than you're making some weeks, due to travel costs, if sales are not brisk.

4 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0

Field Sales Representative

Jun 4, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Can make as much money as you want depending on how hard you want to work. Flexible hours, basically make your own schedule. Managers and other employees are always very helpfull and available when you need them. Freedom and autonomy every day in the field!

Cons

Entirely cold calling on small businesses and can be very different than most sales jobs. Goal is to have a hard close and sell the business owner on the spot. Straight commission, so can be stressful at times.

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 4.0

Field Sales Rep

Oct 8, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great career for the right person. Must absolutely be self motivated day in and day out. Great commission and bonus structure. Helps to have a conservative political view and believe in American free enterprise.

Cons

Internal IT tools never live up to their hype. You have to completely rely on your own organization skills. No coasting in this straight commission position.

1 person found this review helpful

National Federation of Independent Business Response

National Employment Manager

Thank you for the review. Your motivation and dedication is a real asset to NFIB. Therese (National Employment Manager)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 English Reviews