National Fitness Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Captain

1. "great gym great people"

Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Certified Personal Trainer in Knoxville, TN

I worked at National Fitness Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent club offers everything you can imagine

Cons

didnt make a great amount of money but it was a great start for me as i was a new trainer

2. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Child Care Worker in Alcoa, TN
    Former Employee - Child Care Worker in Alcoa, TN

I worked at National Fitness Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

National fitness center gives you the great benefit of getting to have a gym membership without having to pay the cost

Cons

National fitness center needs to work on their prices for club members and higher reliable certified trainers that know what they're doing

Advice to Management

Don't charge people so much and don't make them sign away their lives to a contract

3. "Childcare position"

Current Employee - Childcare Worker in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Childcare Worker in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at National Fitness Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere
    Schedule flexibility and reliability
    Friendly management
    Easy and fun job if you want childcare experience
    If you're reliable it is a secure position

Cons

Bad pay
    Not many opportunities for a raise or promotion
    Felt that management shows favoritism
    Only able to work about 4 hours per shift because of childcare hours; unless if you're willing to constantly work doubles there's no easy way for this to be a full time job

Advice to Management

Be more inclusive
    Make good on promises of a raise

4. "Children's Activity Director- Department Manager"

Former Employee - Children's Activity Director in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Children's Activity Director in Knoxville, TN

I worked at National Fitness Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great atmosphere.
    - Management is helpful and pleasant to work for. They are willing to accommodate school schedules, which makes it ideal for college students.
    -Access to gym. Can work out before or after shift. Free membership while working. Full-time employees receive a free membership for spouse and family too.

Cons

-Most positions are part-time, so if needing full-time employment you are limited to management positions.
    -Benefits. No 401k.
    -Staff must pay for required training, such as CPR/First Aid
    -Hours of operation; open on most holidays and during inclement weather

5. "very competitive environment"

Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Personal Trainer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at National Fitness Center part-time

Pros

flexible schedule, friendly environment, can build many relationships that extends to outside the job, promote physical fitness

Cons

pay is way loe, some gyms are very dirty they have cleaning staff, peronal trainers or treated like they are not people. but they want members to buy training

Advice to Management

pay employees more company hasn't given group fitness instructors, personal trainer a pay increase in more than 10 years, other staff like maintenance, front desk get minimum wage and that is because of federal regulations on certain job functions, a lot of employees are struggling financially after working numerous hours and teaching numerous classes, treat employees like they are valuable commodity and members will invest and turn over rate will be lower

6. "Not For An Honest Person"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Knoxville, TN

I worked at National Fitness Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job. I've seen many work there for no other reason than to keep a "free" membership.

Cons

Management is only concerned about money. They don't care about employees or members. It's all superficial with this company. As long as they can get people to perceive everything is great they'll continue to suck as many members as dry as they can. I worked as a maintenance tech with them for 4 years. They never listened to me about repairs that needed done to the old west club (mainly the roof leaks. And members got hurt because of their unwillingness to properly maintain the building. B-ball and handball courts) or the Alcoa Hwy location (I'm told the roof to The Beach pumphouse finally caved in. And they still haven't repaired it! They ran it the way it is all last summer!)

I heard so many stories how the CEO had ripped off so many contractors it would make your head swim.

53 complaints in the last 3 years with this business with the Better Business Bureau report!

Advice to Management

There is none. I offered advice for 4 years and wasn't listened to.

7. "Great for young professionals looking to start in the fitness industry."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at National Fitness Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free gym membership and gym was nice.

Cons

Rules, rules and more rules.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on employee appreciation.

"Crooks."

Current Employee - Fitness Consultant - Sales in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Fitness Consultant - Sales in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at National Fitness Center full-time

Pros

It's nice to work at a gym - no reason not to get your workout in!

Cons

Probably the most crooked place I have ever worked for! The system is set up that even if you make your goal in sales they will screw you out of your commissions.

9. "Good company"

I have been working at National Fitness Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the people. environment, flexible hours, and the free gym membership.

Cons

NO benifits, NO raises, low pay, Part time only unless in upper management.

Advice to Management

Offer occasional performance based raises. Just at the very least give your employees the opportunity to get a raise. This promotes job value and dedicated employees with a lower turnover rate.

10. "The slimiest owner, corporate and general business model you could ever work for."

Former Employee - Children's Activity Director
    Former Employee - Children's Activity Director

Pros

I liked the free gym membership, great part-time workers, wearing gym clothes all day, and semi-flexible work schedule.

Cons

There is little to no recognition for the work you do. Busted my butt doing many tasks that were not in my job description and didn't even get a thank you. Upper management constantly made jokes that are grounds for sexual harassment. He was actually fooling around with another full time employee, and flaunted it throughout the club. His inappropriate relationships even affected our members, aka customers, and he just laughed it off. Required to work 45 hours a week minimum for crap salary ($23,660), and I had a degree and got paid equally to those who didn't have one. They want you in the club at 8 am and stay until 7 pm. HA! They will manually override the clock in system if a part time worker has gone over the Obama's 128 hours a month limit so they can avoid fines, but still over work their employees and under pay them. They don't pay their employees over time if the hourly employees go over 40 hours a week (illegal). Corporate doesn't care what's going on as long as they make money. Practically impossible to get a raise - a friend worked there 10 years and she had to fight to get 1 sad raise - and there is no growth opportunities. For members, you literally have to be dying or be extremely annoying/persistent/threaten a lawsuit to get out of your 3-year contract. Childcare is only licensed to hold 14 kids at a time, some clubs see in the hundreds of kids per shift.

Advice to Management

Please for the love of all things holy, go take a management class at UT. And use that advice to rebuild your business. You will be out of business in a decade with how you practice business, I guarentee it.