National Flood Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Flood Researcher"

Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, TX

I worked at National Flood Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lay back, open environment, friendly and helpful, 401k for part time

Cons

No room to grow, no raising wage

2. "Flood Insurance Underwriter II & Escalations Underwriter Supervisor"

Current Employee - Flood Insurance Underwriter II & Escalations Underwriter Supervisor

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Careers, Benefits, Leadership, and Culture

Cons

Overall a great place to work, not many cons.

3. "I like it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss lets me dabble in a lot of different projects, so I feel the variety is great. Love getting to wear jeans on a daily basis. My pay is pretty decent for the area, but I know I'm one of the lucky ones. Executive team is easy to approach and, for the most part, are generally nice to talk with and very honest (IMO). They support virtual work environments - which seems to be uncommon with a lot of companies. It's a nice benefit.

Cons

The medical benefit is decent, but not the best. The office is a little drab and the budget has been cut enough that we don't have a lot of fun events. Could be, however, that people just haven't participated in the past, so I can't pin it all on the company. Some of our systems are outdated, but that's being worked on. Fortunately we are disengaging from our parent company and, with any luck, technology will be able to thrive without 50 levels of bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Stop with all the emails. At least 75% of the workforce is on the phone and don't have time to sift through nonsense. Have real town hall meetings - face-to-face, even if you have to shut the phone system down for 30 minutes once a quarter so everyone can participate.

4. "Horrible to work for. Used to be amazing."

Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist II in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist II in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pro's anymore. It used to have a lot of them.

Cons

Poor management at all levels.
    Too many "executive's" trying to cash in before bailing.
    CEO is a hold over from previous owners who sold off company over the course of a weekend (The CEO is Not Keith Brown who was amazing. The current CEO is Louis Hobson who's only there cause Aon installed him. Knows nothing of flood, hides in his office. Wrings his hands when he's lying to you.

Advice to Management

To the new owners: Flush all the old Management. Top down start fresh. Too many of the team leaders you have are not fit to even be employees let alone "managers". Their knowledge is out of date, they don't know the systems and are more than happy to toss their employees under the bus when they screw up (happens frequently).

Get rid of the executive wing and those hidden "leadership" team within them. If they are unwilling to even face their staff and have to hide in their own little world and use a private entrance and stairway, they don't need to be employed. You want leaders people have faith in, not people we know are selling us down the river while ensuring they get everything.

Lastly stop with the secrecy. The sale was known by the execs a good 5 months in advance. Yet you have nothing figured out about Hiring new employees, nothing on 401ks, healthcare, payscale or any other details. Either admit you got suckered by Aon too and build credibility or admit you are just pumping and dumping the company as most investment bankers do.

5. "Used to be a good place to work"

I worked at National Flood Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary for the valley

Cons

Office politics and workplace bullying

Advice to Management

None, it comes from the top down.

6. "Avoid it"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the valley

Cons

No direction, management that doesn't work together, backstabbing, politics, egos

Advice to Management

Sell NFS to someplace that will give a darn

"Aon Turned a Good Company into a Disaster"

Former Employee - Senior Leadership in Kalispell, MT
    Former Employee - Senior Leadership in Kalispell, MT

I worked at National Flood Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many hard working, loyal employees across all levels. Great place to live and work if you like nature and rural lifestyle.

Cons

Aon has completely destroyed National Flood Services and will probably dump them from their portfolio in the near future. After years of profitable growth, Aon acquired NFS. The head guy came in when they bought NFS and said they would be hands off. I think his statement was "the only person getting a new boss is the CEO". Within a year, half the senior leadership team was replaced, and some that were kept were a former barmaid and a narcissistic ladder climber that ruined a lot of people's lives before bailing after only being there 2 years.

Advice to Management

No advise, as the arrogance and politics within Aon would cause it to fall on deaf ears.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay? Colleagues that are suffering with you?

Cons

If ever there were a complete parody of horrible management behaviors and corporate BS, NFS under Aons control is it. The TV show the office has better behaved management.

Advice to Management

Please...as if they would actually take any of these to heart. Like our annual engagement surveys? The ones that send the email blaming the employee if their score says they're disengaged?

"Kalispell location issues"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being owned by a multi-national company provides a small level of job security.
    Decent pay for the area... But not much more
    Some effective management...

Cons

Being owned by a multi-national company means no one really cares about you beyond metrics. Prior to Aons buyout morale was higher and longevity was higher.

Most new employees are temps who will not be hired full time as Aon is not interested in long term staff and investing in them.

While the pay is decent for the area raises are almost non existent. A high rated employee can expect at most 15 cents per hour raise. Low rated get as little as 3 cent raises.

With contracts always being renegotiated and with high-level contracts being lost due to subpar systems that never get fixed business will continue to shrink.

Advice to Management

Stop hiding in the executive wing and start fighting harder for for employees otherwise we will keep earning the negative rep in the valley.

"Claims Department"

Current Employee - Claims Department
    Current Employee - Claims Department

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time

Pros

Wonder co-workers who help when management drops the ball (which is continual).

Cons

Management totally not up to the tasks before them. None of them are leaders, and do not know the meaning of the words "integrity", "ethics" and "truth". Abysmally understaffed with regular workers who do the job of processing claims. Horribly top heavy with management. Pay way below industry standard. Company has lost major contracts this year and the way they are running the company will lose the last few major clients they have. Employees micromanaged to death or totally ignored; there is no inbetween. Hostile work environment from top management has lead most to leave for major competitor. Those who remain are overworked and underpaid. Stay far away from this company unless you want to have a nervous breakdown. The claims department is the most neglected, overworked and mismanaged in the company.

Advice to Management

Get your act together before you destroy what is left of the company. This is 'make or break' time and current leadership are not up to the tasks.