National Flood Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Flood Researcher"

Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Researcher in Arlington, TX

I worked at National Flood Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lay back, open environment, friendly and helpful, 401k for part time

Cons

No room to grow, no raising wage

2. "Swirling with changes"

I worked at National Flood Services full-time

Pros

People there care about what they do and how it impacts the insureds. Has the potential to employ more local talent.

Cons

Outside management and influences from each of the companies who have purchased NFS over time have muddied the tight-knit feel of a locally-owned company.

Advice to Management

Pick a vision and invest in the related training for existing employees rather than bring outside contractors in.

3. "Stay Away"

I worked at National Flood Services full-time

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

Since Peak6 has purchased the company, the entire environment has changed and not for the better. The leadership staff at NFS are some of the most incompetent, self-centered, and unqualified "professionals" ever.

4. "Flood Insurance Underwriter II & Escalations Underwriter Supervisor"

Current Employee - Flood Insurance Underwriter II & Escalations Underwriter Supervisor

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Careers, Benefits, Leadership, and Culture

Cons

Overall a great place to work, not many cons.

5. "I like it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My boss lets me dabble in a lot of different projects, so I feel the variety is great. Love getting to wear jeans on a daily basis. My pay is pretty decent for the area, but I know I'm one of the lucky ones. Executive team is easy to approach and, for the most part, are generally nice to talk with and very honest (IMO). They support virtual work environments - which seems to be uncommon with a lot of companies. It's a nice benefit.

Cons

The medical benefit is decent, but not the best. The office is a little drab and the budget has been cut enough that we don't have a lot of fun events. Could be, however, that people just haven't participated in the past, so I can't pin it all on the company. Some of our systems are outdated, but that's being worked on. Fortunately we are disengaging from our parent company and, with any luck, technology will be able to thrive without 50 levels of bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Stop with all the emails. At least 75% of the workforce is on the phone and don't have time to sift through nonsense. Have real town hall meetings - face-to-face, even if you have to shut the phone system down for 30 minutes once a quarter so everyone can participate.

"Horrible to work for. Used to be amazing."

Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist II in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Underwriting Specialist II in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pro's anymore. It used to have a lot of them.

Cons

Poor management at all levels.
    Too many "executive's" trying to cash in before bailing.
    CEO is a hold over from previous owners who sold off company over the course of a weekend (The CEO is Not Keith Brown who was amazing. The current CEO is Louis Hobson who's only there cause Aon installed him. Knows nothing of flood, hides in his office. Wrings his hands when he's lying to you.

Advice to Management

To the new owners: Flush all the old Management. Top down start fresh. Too many of the team leaders you have are not fit to even be employees let alone "managers". Their knowledge is out of date, they don't know the systems and are more than happy to toss their employees under the bus when they screw up (happens frequently).

Get rid of the executive wing and those hidden "leadership" team within them. If they are unwilling to even face their staff and have to hide in their own little world and use a private entrance and stairway, they don't need to be employed. You want leaders people have faith in, not people we know are selling us down the river while ensuring they get everything.

Lastly stop with the secrecy. The sale was known by the execs a good 5 months in advance. Yet you have nothing figured out about Hiring new employees, nothing on 401ks, healthcare, payscale or any other details. Either admit you got suckered by Aon too and build credibility or admit you are just pumping and dumping the company as most investment bankers do.

"Used to be a good place to work"

I worked at National Flood Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent salary for the valley

Cons

Office politics and workplace bullying

Advice to Management

None, it comes from the top down.

"Avoid it"

Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Operations Specialist in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay for the valley

Cons

No direction, management that doesn't work together, backstabbing, politics, egos

Advice to Management

Sell NFS to someplace that will give a darn

"Aon Turned a Good Company into a Disaster"

Former Employee - Senior Leadership in Kalispell, MT
    Former Employee - Senior Leadership in Kalispell, MT

I worked at National Flood Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many hard working, loyal employees across all levels. Great place to live and work if you like nature and rural lifestyle.

Cons

Aon has completely destroyed National Flood Services and will probably dump them from their portfolio in the near future. After years of profitable growth, Aon acquired NFS. The head guy came in when they bought NFS and said they would be hands off. I think his statement was "the only person getting a new boss is the CEO". Within a year, half the senior leadership team was replaced, and some that were kept were a former barmaid and a narcissistic ladder climber that ruined a lot of people's lives before bailing after only being there 2 years.

Advice to Management

No advise, as the arrogance and politics within Aon would cause it to fall on deaf ears.

"Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Middle Management in Kalispell, MT
    Current Employee - Middle Management in Kalispell, MT

I have been working at National Flood Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay? Colleagues that are suffering with you?

Cons

If ever there were a complete parody of horrible management behaviors and corporate BS, NFS under Aons control is it. The TV show the office has better behaved management.

Advice to Management

Please...as if they would actually take any of these to heart. Like our annual engagement surveys? The ones that send the email blaming the employee if their score says they're disengaged?