National Futures Association Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
National Futures Association CEO Tom Sexton
Tom Sexton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Open management style; great transparency in decision making; lot of stress on work life balance (in 49 reviews)

• The benefits are great, good work life balance and the staff is nice too (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Many people stick around NFA for much of their careers (certainly a good thing), but this trend brings some office politics along with it (in 5 reviews)

• Limited perspective (majority of upper management are "Lifers") (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome People and a Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NFA has managed to grow a company of exceptionally sharp individuals. Everyone I've come in contact with, from the officers all the way down the organization chart, is committed to doing their very best professionally day-in and day-out.

Moreover, I truly look forward to coming to work, simply because I enjoy the individuals I spend my time with at the office. There's a lot of interaction cross-departmentally, and I find that almost everyone I come in contact with is someone who cares about me personally, and is someone about whom I care about, as well.

Within the financial services industry, NFA is an especially meaningful place to work, as well. I'm proud of the work we do protecting investors and feel that my work is meaningful.

Cons

Many people stick around NFA for much of their careers (certainly a good thing), but this trend brings some office politics along with it.

2. "Like working with a family"

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work-life balance is off the chart; the benefits are exceptional; and the culture is one of a kind.

Cons

Resources could be limited given the non-profit nature of the association, but it is a small price to pay for a good environment.

Advice to Management

Hiring external applicants when qualified internal resources are available could be a turn off for current employees.

3. "Not Worth The Time Of An Experienced IT Professional"

I worked at National Futures Association full-time

Pros

You will get a paycheck. This place is great for people fresh out of college that have never worked anywhere else in their career.

Cons

Where to start? There was endless political battles that went in circles over the smallest things. For instance most users waited months for privileged accounts just to do their job. Any other company would give you these accounts the day you start so you can start working for your paycheck. Growth doesnt really exist there, there isnt much room to go up because the people you are working with that are above you have been there since the company started and there is no need for them to go anywhere so there isnt very many opportunities to move up unless someone retires. No matter what you ask for it will always be an uphill battle. Unless you are unemployed this place truly isnt worth your time. I have never worked in a more toxic, red tape filled, political environment and I hope to never work in a similar place again.
    WFH doesnt exist here which is pretty absurd for a company from this century. FTO is not true FTO, if you request an FTO day you will be required to work longer in the weeks leading up to that FTO day in order to make up for the time you requested off.

Advice to Management

If management would listen to the exit interviews the issues would be solved years ago. Since this issue wont go away until various people retire then the company's progress will suffer severely. Modern day benefits would be great, things like WFH matters to employees and makes it a better work life balance. Management doesnt listen and so the employees will suffer but people stay based solely on the health and 401k benefits which will keep an older generation but does nothing for a younger generation.

4. "In progress"

Pros

NFA has been a great company to work for. I would say that 90% of our staff are like family to me. I believe in our cause and our mission.

Cons

There is much change in process and some are not receptive of change. There needs to be more guidance and collaboration between departments.

5. "People are great, friendly atmosphere but beware of the department you apply for"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great benefits and great work life balance IF you have a good manager. If not it’s very demotivating. Ruins a perfectly great place to work. This is a good place to start but I wouldn’t recommend staying unless you are willing to deal with the lack of innovation and limitations.

Cons

Arbitrary rules applied to certain employees and not others. Job responsibilities change on a whim. No WiFi access and limited internet very stifling for productivity.

Advice to Management

Give your managers training. And lighten up on all the restrictions.

6. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

Ability to take every other Friday off.
    Generous healthcare plan
    401k match.
    Considerate supervisors and helpful colleagues.

Cons

Too many trainings from HR.
    You cannot trade your own futures because NFA regulates the industry, and is conflict of interest.

7. "Swaps NYC- Compliance Examiner II"

Current Employee - Compliane Examiner II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Compliane Examiner II in New York, NY

Pros

Good work environment, flexible hours, salary competitive with similar positions in the industry, good job security

Cons

Top performers end up doing large portion of the work, with rewards not proportionate to performance. Opportunities plateau after a few years for junior staff.

Advice to Management

Try to tie compensation to performance more closely. Try to standardize expectations and evaluations across managers.

8. "Good place to start your career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time

Pros

NFA is a great place to start off your career, especially if your interested in working in Futures/Derivatives. They have nice employee benefits and one can learn a lot about the products and regulations through the work done on a daily basis. There are also chances to travel.

Cons

Management is not adequately prepared or organized, so job duties are constantly changing and are in some cases never fully defined. Additionally, other employees don't always make for the best and most nurturing work environment. The office culture can be immature and it is not always the best learning environment for someone looking to gain knowledge of the industry, as many employees are not qualified for the roles they are placed in.

Advice to Management

Be more scrupulous when hiring and promoting. It often feels arbitrary and not based on merit.

9. "manager"

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time

Pros

nice people, nice environment, interesting work

Cons

Don't really have any cons

10. "Compliance Examiner II"

Current Employee - Compliance Examiner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Compliance Examiner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Very young workplace. Pretty much all examiners are hired in their 20s, most right out of college. This could be a con for some, but I enjoy it and find the people make for a very collaborative environment and most are a pleasure to be around inside and outside of work hours. This is especially important given the frequency of travel in my opinion.
    -Pay is competitive and I feel adequately compensated for my work
    - Great work life balance with flex days and ability to use your vacation/personal days whenever without pressure
    - Lots of hotel, airline, and credit card points accumulated through travel is nice
    - Get to interact with well respected industry members at the member firms. Its pretty cool when a billionaire has to sit there and listen to you and you've been out of college 3 months.
    - Good transparency from upper management

Cons

- Working with different teams every three months is difficult, as you must adapt quickly to new management styles. Some managers are great, some are not.
    - Insufficient desks means you will have to check out a hotel desks everyday for about a year or so until enough people leave and desks open up
    - Internal softwares are somewhat dated and difficult to use at times but that is a point of emphasis NFA is working on currently
    - Working with so many other people in your same position on very defined performance management plans makes it difficult to stand out at times

Advice to Management

- Set measurable deadlines for those hired from the outside