National Futures Association Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
National Futures Association CEO Tom Sexton
Tom Sexton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Open management style; great transparency in decision making; lot of stress on work life balance (in 42 reviews)

• The benefits are great, good work life balance and the staff is nice too (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Many people stick around NFA for much of their careers (certainly a good thing), but this trend brings some office politics along with it (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management has some office politics, but about the same as what you'll find almost anywhere else (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Awesome People and a Great Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NFA has managed to grow a company of exceptionally sharp individuals. Everyone I've come in contact with, from the officers all the way down the organization chart, is committed to doing their very best professionally day-in and day-out.

Moreover, I truly look forward to coming to work, simply because I enjoy the individuals I spend my time with at the office. There's a lot of interaction cross-departmentally, and I find that almost everyone I come in contact with is someone who cares about me personally, and is someone about whom I care about, as well.

Within the financial services industry, NFA is an especially meaningful place to work, as well. I'm proud of the work we do protecting investors and feel that my work is meaningful.

Cons

Many people stick around NFA for much of their careers (certainly a good thing), but this trend brings some office politics along with it.

2. "Great 1st job out of college"

Current Employee - Compliance Examiner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Compliance Examiner in Chicago, IL

Pros

Flexible work hours
    Travel
    Excellent Benefits
    Competitive starting salary
    Friendly People
    Open Environment
    Department outings

Cons

Travel
    Limited training
    Learning on the job
    No assigned desk as staff

3. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great work/life balance, supportive environment, team is extremely inclusive, COO says good morning to EVERYONE in the office every day, great benefits package, room for upward mobility, & flexible schedules

Cons

Antiquated systems, hard to get new ideas approved

4. "Great place to work and an excellent work-life balance!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NFA does a very good job in promoting a work-life balance, which is something everyone can truly appreciate. The company as a whole, cares about supporting the career development of their staff and does a very good job in seeing this through. The entire organization is committed to creating a respectful and enjoyable work atmosphere for all employees.

Cons

Nothing negative comes to mind.

5. "great first job out of college"

Current Employee - Compliance Examiner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Compliance Examiner in New York, NY

Pros

Work-life balance is great. Lots of flexibility in schedule and management seems to be okay with working around your outside life. Partial Tuition reimbursement. Tons of exposure to new areas of finance on a rotating schedule; you'll be doing radically different things every couple weeks. Benefits are great.

Cons

Slow paced. Technological solutions are outdated and the IT staff is not great. Technological knowledge is severely lacking. High attrition rate due to noncompetitive compensation growth.

Advice to Management

Clarity in expectations of what we should be doing/where we should be.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at National Futures Association full-time

Pros

Great benefits, environment, work-life balance

Cons

Could be more progressive /current with technology solutions

7. "Overall good company"

Pros

The people, benefits package, the flexible hours (relative to wage), variety in types of assignments you are working on (large vs. small firms, different business models, etc)

Cons

Certain aspects such as scheduling and performance have been difficult for the company to manage consistently and effectively

"Compliance Examiner II"

I worked at National Futures Association full-time

Pros

The best part about working here is that when you leave you really appreciate your new job! When I left NFA I realized how sorry I felt for everyone who still had to work there.

Cons

This org tells the right out of school hires to say nice things about it by asking them to vote for it as a "best place to work" (the people voting often haven't had much other professional experience if any and so have nowhere else to compare it to); also tons of nepotism; terrible hours, people work grueling hours for little pay

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like they are in Junior High and pretending like you're running a private school.

9. "Supervisor"

I worked at National Futures Association full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and a day off.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive. Not a lot of room for growth

Advice to Management

Focus on the good people

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

Pros

Open management style; great transparency in decision making; lot of stress on work life balance.

Cons

The pace of work is little different particularly if you have worked with wall street banks / hedge funds prior to NFA. Some may like the better work life balance while others may find it slow moving.