National General Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Barry Karfunkel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "You don't have to be a top salesman to make 80k or more per year, just a hard working one" (in 22 reviews)

• "Couldn't be happier with the work environment" (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • "Difficult work life balance due to lack of resources" (in 16 reviews)

• "Slow problem solving from upper management" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my team and the folks in my office. Work is always challenging, but I feel like I have room for growth and ample opportunities to prove myself. It's exciting to see the company continue to grow.

Cons

health care benefits are OK, but it's expensive to cover a family

2. "Great Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities for Growth, company is always growing so provides stability, good atmosphere, good benefits.

Cons

None to report at the moment

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees well and they will continue to treat you well. I am proof of that.

3. "Tons of Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Brand Marketing Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Brand Marketing Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Immense Growth
    - Great Mentorship Opportunites
    - Good Pay
    - Decent Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision, AD&D, 401k + Company match

Cons

They DO expect you to work hard, which isn't really a con, but other reviews seem to think it is

Advice to Management

Keep growing, keep promoting from within, keep up with the awesome advice and mentorship, keep pushing innovating!

4. "Not The Worst"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Nashville, TN

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the things that I liked about working here at Direct General/National General in Nashville, TN is the good energy between coworkers -- or a least me and my former coworkers had created.
    The salary is not bad at all; just don't expect significant bonuses.

Cons

The company does not invest in its employees. Career advancement it only looks good on paper and the company does not invest in its employees far as the opportunity to grow or learn.

Advice to Management

I can only talk about my manager which was one of the worst I ever had. I left because of him.

5. "Good for Entry Level and Desperate developers - Avoid if you are neither"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Good for entry level developers to get their feet wet but I would not stay for more than 1.5 years
    - Pay is good for the work that is done
    - Low stress environment. No overtime or on call for most devs
    - Prime location in downtown Cleveland. Ability to walk to many restaurants or just take a break from work and walk somewhere quick for a snack/coffee/errand
    - 18 days PTO, 10 paid holidays
    - Free parking in Municipal Lot if you don't mind walking about 15 mins (well worth it)

Cons

As a developer, you would expect a more relaxed environment compared to most other jobs, but the complete opposite is true of life at NatGen. While being a developer at other companies may offer looser hours, work from home capabilities, and a more relaxed dress code, NatGen is strictly against all of this. We are forced to work set hours from 8:30AM to 5:00PM and are not allowed to work remotely unless there are extenuating circumstances. Finish what you're working on a 4:45PM? Have to stay til 5PM. Despite having the ability to remote, if you are sick, car is in the shop, or you need to stay home with a child, you will have to use a vacation day. The worst part of all of this is that it only applies to developers. Non-developers are coming and going as they please, wearing jeans and t-shirts on Fridays.

No control over your own code. Need to go through business analysts to get an issue opened to make any changes or improvements. Some things that would be much better off improved are left alone due to the hassle. Tools that would make everyone's lives easier are thus neglected as well.

For the actual nature of work, your experience will be team dependent. If you are lucky, you will get to write mostly in C#. Otherwise, you will mostly write in VB.net.

There is not a lot of actual development going on. If you are interested in learning a lot, this is not the place for you. I don't feel like my learning experience has been good and feel that I am much further behind than my peers with equivalent experience who are working at other companies.

Culture? What's that? I'm fine just coming to work and going home and not doing anything out of the ordinary, but it would be nice to feel appreciated by the company. I feel like we are treated like robots (due to my first con above). There is nothing fun about the company itself, and any fun you have will be thanks to your teammates...and to that I say, good luck! NatGen does nothing for me besides pay me and give me benefits.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and retain talent, work on making NatGen an attractive place for developers. The nature of the work is not interesting, and treating us like kids does not help. I have had a few developer friends looking for jobs that I would have loved to work with but wouldn't even consider NatGen because of the lack of freedom we have as developers. Relax your remote policy, loosen up the hours, give us some dress down days, early release near holidays...make us feel appreciated.

6. "Intern"

I worked at National General Insurance full-time

Pros

Decent pay for an internship and pretty hands off.

Cons

They don't make the effort they claim to further develop employees.

7. "Broken"

I worked at National General Insurance full-time

Pros

Good salaries for the area, decent benefits

Cons

Bad managers with little accountability for their performance or the way they treat employees. Too many systems to update constantly, everything is made harder than it needs to be.

Advice to Management

Learn to think of employees as people, not just a means to an end

8. "Awesome Company!!"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO, Pay, Awesome Managers, Caring and Wonderful Company. Always appreciated!!

Cons

Cannot think of any Cons, because there are none!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

9. "Missed the mark"

I worked at National General Insurance full-time

Pros

HR backend systems and services are good.

Cons

The legacy people forgot the why.

Advice to Management

Fix the culture

10. "Life Agent"

I worked at National General Insurance full-time

Pros

the pay is decent

Cons

terrible work life balance

Advice to Management

take more time training