National General Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barry Karfunkel

Pros
  • You don't have to be a top salesman to make 80k or more per year, just a hard working one (in 21 reviews)

• Good people, good work environment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult work life balance due to lack of resources (in 13 reviews)

• Worst treatment for employees but incompetent upper management (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great SALES DRIVEN work environment."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere
    Ability to clock overtime
    Empathetic to schedule conflicts
    Great benefits
    Ability to be paid accordingly for what you are bringing to the table
    Days go by fast

Cons

Work can be repetitive
    Being in front of a computer all day can get tough on the eyes
    Working a lot forces me to make some sacrifices in other areas of life, but that's expected

"Great company to work for, but there are areas for improvement."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Career advancement opportunities. Nice Vacation package.
    Decent Pay.
    A growing company that is expanding.
    Ok to dress casual.

Cons

Rarely has team meetings to review important updates and changes within the company. 20 random emails a day is not a great way to stay up to speed when you have calls coming in back to back.

3. "Excellent company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

National General is a great company to work for. We are growing exponentially and there is a lot of room to grow. They take care of their employees and offer a strong HR department that is always willing to hear new suggestions and help in any way.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to pay attention to your employees and offer room for growth!

"Better than others"

Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Property Claims Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For property adjusters here in CA, we are all work from home employees which is nice. We are left alone to do our job. Micro management is at a minimal. Our management team here is wonderful. I know others who have posted complaints are mostly from the auto side. I can not say much about them as we operate separate from them with different management. Very little turn over which must say something.

I have worked for other big name insurance companies and the stress level is much less here.

The company buys up other small companies to grow. The last one they bought was Century National Insurance. This will provide opportunities in the future.

Cons

We need more adjusters. Work life balance needs adjustment. Upgrade in technology is needed. No profit sharing. Benefits are average.

Advice to Management

How about a profit sharing plan or other type of bonus plan.

6. "Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work environment and a great opportunity to make good money.

Cons

Market and division focused company. Always changing directions.

7. "Licensed Sales Agent"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made 93k last year and was in training until April. If you are motivated and know how to sell this is a great job. If you can't deal with stress you should choose another career path.

Cons

Working every other Saturday most of the year. Also management loves to micromanage, which can be super frustrating when your there 50 hours/week

"The people who don't like it couldn't make it"

Current Employee - Sales Team Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Team Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started with the company 4 years ago as a kid with no clue what working at a big (little) company would be like. Management saw some talent and not a lot of know-how and they helped me to grow up. I've seen a lot of up and downs, as can be expected of a big (little) company. We have the assets of a huge corp but the mobility of a startup, and that ability to adapt to change is what makes us great.

Some people don't like change.

There is largely an open door policy. This means you can say what you want (with respect) to management, but that also comes with the real-world consequences of being told when you're wrong. I happen to like this candor. I've opened my mouth and looked like a fool once or twice, but for the most part, if my feedback is helpful, timely, and actionable, people are willing to hear it.

Cons

We run hot. We're a bit understaffed (which means more money making potential for the agents left) but that level of intensity isn't for everyone. Our busy season is 9 months out of the year and people are not always mentally prepared for the workload. This is why I gave work/life balance three stars.

Advice to Management

Continue to do what you do, which is to look inward and question everything. Question your process and ask "Can it be better?"

"miserable two years of my life"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Above industry pay and benefits package.

Cons

Where to begin.. to start the company doesn't invest in its management nor employees. The managers in both departments I was in during my career at Nationak General Insurance had no management training what so ever. They throw their management into the ocean and hope they float. Having worked prior for a billion dollar corporation and coming to National General Insurance I and many other employees had a 0% tolerance for ignorance and lack of management skills many of our managers had. There is absolutely 0% of work life balance. While I was on scheduled off on vacation and weekends management would text or call my personal phone asking me to come in or log in from home to work. Unfortunately, they make a SIMPLE and EASY job difficult due to the hostile environment. If you can place a price tag on your inner peace, happiness, and over well-being, I highly encourage you to sign your offer letter. If you have a tad bit of common sense or self respect don't even waste your time going on an interview.

Advice to Management

Invest in your management training and build a better culture.

"Review for NGIC"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Cleveland, OH

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pay is well and benefits are decent.

Cons

Everything else, bad management, unprofessional setup, managers and supervisors initiating and engaging in relationships with subordinates and then micro-managing/harassing the employees if the relationships does not work out. Unfair practices, no consideration for employees time or life outside of NGIC. you're expected to adhere to all schedule changes and duties at all times but there's no consideration for employees when sick, or kids needing unexpected school or medical services and ect. Benefits are cut the day the employee leaves the company, The company works off of fear tactics and there's a lot of favoritism and politics involved. You will be terminated for putting in your two week notice. A lot of great employees have been walked out a couple days after putting in a notice to part ways. You will also be discipline for exploring other opportunities outside of the company, you're placed under a radar and eventually terminated.

Advice to Management

All cons need to be addressed and management should attempt to get feedback from employees on issues and concerns that are communicated amongst the floor staff only in fear of being terminated for COMPLAINING. Just need to be more fair and balanced in general.

"Business Systems Analyst"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

Not bad, not great. The company is growing and is a fairly stable place to work. Benefits are average and pay is slightly below average. Management is great with flexible time and PTO use. Relatively limited role from a Business Analyst perspective, mainly due to the odd and somewhat challenging structure of IT/ Development being part of a separate "sister entity". Not a bad place to begin a career out of college or changing professions. Not a ton of reasons for someone looking to grow in the career path to stick around for the long term.

Cons

Pay is a little low compared to other local companies. ZERO training, educational assistance. Due to this the majority of the staff does not have a very strong background in their area and has little to no knowledge of best practices.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. It really would help keep decent ones around and would help processes as a whole.