National General Insurance Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

National General Insurance Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You don't have to be a top salesman to make 80k or more per year, just a hard working one (in 21 reviews)

• great people in St Louis office shared information help you to learn more (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult work life balance due to lack of resources (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management who has no idea what is like to be an adjuster or has clearly forgotten (in 19 reviews)

"Red Headed Step Children of the insurance industry"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

At one time was a fun place to work and was an enjoyable experience. Learned a lot about the industry.

Cons

The lender placed insurance portion that now falls under National General has been bought and sold 5 times in the 8 years of my employ. The companies that purchase do not have enough time invested or care to understand how the Direct management team leads basically by fear. I have seen many times where if they don't like someone not necessarily due to performance they will nit pick thru files or hold higher expectations if you don't go along with them. Again not related to performance. I had questioned numerous employees and almost all felt the way management treated them was with sarcasm, they discouraged input from non management employees.

They have disciplined for individuals in group meetings. Fired someone who was there for 8 years and spoke up about the way they were being treated. They built a case by digging thru files and fired them for performance. This individual was always above goals in their metrics.

One of the companies we were under had us do a survey which brought management issues to light. Instead of taking any responsibility they blamed these issues on remote workers. A successful program implemented by Bank of America when they owned us. It was a control issue for management who was never really keen on the work at home program.

Management made the immeasurable metric of not being "Engaged" as the source of problem. From then on it was a matter of time before the remote program went away.

Advice to Management

Upper management at corporate level get involved with the employees directly, not thru middle management. Micromanaging has grown exponentially and if you take a unbiased look at the processes now in effect, the process is very inefficient. They require on every file so much information that is either is completely of no relevance or is already in the computer. Ex. Claim #, date of loss, policy number, loan number, etc. This informatio is already on the main claims page yet you have to add this again to file notes.

"human resources"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Appears to care about employees.

Cons

No warning about your job performance.

Advice to Management

Give seperated employees contact information

"Run in the other direction"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

it's a job. I've met some friendly outgoing nice people working here. This type of jobs attract extrovert personalities so it's easy to make friends here

Cons

Any positive reviews are from Mgmt and Supervisors. False advertising that you can make up to 6 figures here. Impossible. pay is $12 an hour, required to make 19 insurance sales PER DAY before bonus compensation begins. So if you close 19 ins. policies but not one more everyday, you end up with just the base pay. This company makes a LOT of $ off of your sweat and hard work. They're always hiring because the turnover is extremely high. 12 hour days are common and mandatory here. Don't bother unless you're extremely desperate for any job. Extremely unprofessional, stressful environment

Advice to Management

stop the bully and sweat shop culture

National General Insurance Response

Feb 7, 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly agree that we have a team of friendly, outgoing, nice people who work with us! We take great pride in the accomplishments of our agents and the culture that ... More

"Lead agent"

Current Employee - Lead Agent in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Lead Agent in Memphis, TN

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a great place to work. We have great benefit packages. Have great management and paid time off. Love the customers and employees. Work with positive team and somewhere that will bring the best out of you.

Cons

If you don't sell you will not get paid. Not a easy job. You have to have mad skills.

Advice to Management

Na

"Growth potential"

Former Employee - Senior Casualty Specialist in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Casualty Specialist in Ontario, CA

I worked at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Room to move up in the company.
    Great coworkers
    Never a dull moment
    Overtime is always available
    Good PTO and benefits are decent

Cons

Promoting people to managers who have under 5 years of claims experience
    Workload is hard to manage
    Upper/corporate Management is on the east coast

Advice to Management

More training is needed

"Good place to start"

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time

Pros

The people are really nice and they give a 18 days PTO entry level.

Cons

Other companies pay better. High turnover.

"Sky's The Limit"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the best place to work in the industry. Basing this on the culture, opportunities, leadership, growth, experience, expertise and everyone works together to outpace the competition.

Cons

This company isn't for you if you aren't results oriented, don't want to collaborate and thrive at a rapid pace.

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Dallas, TX

Pros

Good work/life balance
    Positive work environment

Cons

To many changes
    Promises not kept from interview
    Pay could be better

"Sr Claims Rep"

Pros

Terrible, nothing good to say

Cons

Everything, just an awful place to work

11. "Dont Get Stuck Here"

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Long Is City, NY
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Long Is City, NY

I have been working at National General Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid holidays
    Dont have to share desk
    Fairly easy to get hired here

Cons

Everything
    PTO is combined with everything
    The benefits are pretty much terrible
    If the adjuster has not done anything to complete the claim, be prepared to be a human shield. Your job is to make sure clients calls dont get to the adjuster, so learn how to deal with angry calls your whole shift. Some adjusters will deal with the clients while others will give you every excuse in the book not to speak to someone or deal with their claim. I would describe this job as being beaten by 30 people a day while everyone watches but pretends not to see anything.

Advice to Management

Hire more people or do some work.