National Geographic Reviews | Glassdoor

National Geographic Reviews

Updated December 14, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work life balance, smart people (in 19 reviews)

• Had a great mission when it was still a non profit (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, lack of growth opportunity (in 11 reviews)

• no work/life balance, little growth opportunities (in 6 reviews)

"Producer"

I have been working at National Geographic (More than a year)

Pros

Great mission to work for! Good overall culture.

Cons

Lot's of change since 21CF acquired most of the business, so you have to go along for the ride. People get bogged down in internal politics though.

"Great Place If You Find the Right Fit"

I worked at National Geographic full-time

Pros

Company Culture, Work Perks, Recognizable Brand, Great Food

Cons

Leadership and Lack of Transparency

"Assistant"

I worked at National Geographic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Who doesn't want to work at National Geographic? My coworker's were among some of the best and brightest. The mission of NGS means everything to the majority of people who work there.

Cons

Since the Fox takeover there have been nothing but layoffs and tumult and "wait and see". Entire departments have been laid off because Fox has decided to outsource their function to companies that don't understand what is expected of them and have zero institutional knowledge. All of the budgeting and all of the priorities go towards the Channel. It doesn't feel like the media content, with the exception of the magazine, had anything to do with what's happening at NGS. It's beyond normal takeover growing pains. "Do more with less" is not sustainable. Budgets are never approved and finalized on time and constant internal restructurings do not offer transparency as to what the goals are.

Advice to Management

You can't keep laying people off indiscriminately. You need people with institutional knowledge of NGS.

4. "Big changes ongoing, not sure if for the better since 21st Century Fox took over"

I worked at National Geographic full-time

Pros

The collaborative work environment is great. I've never worked anywhere with as many intelligent co-workers who almost always seem willing to help with an issue or share knowledge. Management was never heavy-handed, so working from home due to inclement weather or commuting issues was never a problem so long as work was completed. I'm not sure about higher-ups who came from Fox, but if you work under a former National Geographic Society supervisor, that person will likely have a flexible and collaborative management style. You're free to pick up your laptop and hole up where you felt most productive, whether that's in a quiet room, in the courtyard, or in a nook in the library. The museum exhibitions, visiting Explorers symposiums, and parties are always a fantastic way to blow off steam and get excited about the work Nat Geo does. The benefits are generous, including a small sum added to your paycheck once a month as a reward for tracking ride-sharing miles.

Cons

The workload was often exceedingly heavy. At the time I was laid off, there were many, many contracted workers, I assume to cut costs. Promotions for upper management and finding executive positions for Fox insiders seemed to be a priority. Layoffs are ongoing, so I assume Nat Geo Partners is still trying to turn the company into whatever Fox wants it to be. Not long after a major rebranding effort kicked off, I (and everyone else) received an awesome swag box that included a Moleskin journal, a metal water bottle, a phone charger, and business cards all bearing the new, improved logo ... and I and many of my colleagues were laid off a month later. So here's my advice to prospective Nat Geo Partners employees: Expect the unexpected.

5. "Great culture"

I have been working at National Geographic full-time

Pros

-Great team oriented company
    -Nice salaries

Cons

-Nothing to speak of that's detrimental to professional growth

Advice to Management

Stay true to the core values that have made the organization worth working for.

6. "Very Challenging"

I worked at National Geographic full-time

Pros

Had a great mission when it was still a non profit. Some really cool people worked their.

Cons

Horrible management!! Horrible HR department. Way too much infighting.

Advice to Management

Resign!

7. "Good but not great"

Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Editor in Washington, DC

I have been working at National Geographic (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, i.e. Time off, flexibility. Nice work environment.

Cons

Difficult to move up, difficult to get a raise, no incentives.

"Professional"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice friendly environment , fun activities sometimes

Cons

Constant Changes , no professional growth opportunities, poor management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees well not just exploiting them

"The people are great, but the management and Fox are not"

Former Employee - Associate Producer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Producer in Washington, DC

I worked at National Geographic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, positive and friendly people, great mission, and if you like the work you do -- a great place to do it

Cons

NO leadership. Management changes their strategy every few months. Fox sucked the warm soul out of National Geographic, making it so profit-driven that great content isn't given a chance to develop.

Very few opportunities to move up. Don't expect a raise, either, even if you've spent the last year doing double the work you were hired to do. If you're in a "lower" position, work can be very monotonous.

Advice to Management

Hey Fox, independent contractors are full-time employees, too. Stop having parties and not inviting half your staff. Really rude and tacky.

"After the Fox takeover, we went from having a mission with purpose to having no other mission than to make money."

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

Pros

The National Geographic name is still associated with this organization, so it will still look good on your resume. Good place for a young professional to gain experience and then leave after a couple years.

Cons

You are a Fox employee. You are no longer associated or work with the National Geographic Society. The morale and energy at Partners has tanked.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money on consultants and start listening to the people who work there. The senior executive leadership team lacks vision and inspires no one.